Can't Sleep

A Wish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

4.10 | Can't Sleep

 

With stretch here and there, one doe-eyed girl can finally say she's done. She's done washing the dishes from cancer department. It took only an hour and half. But she can't help not to groan. Especially that she can feel the back of her neck is aching. This must be her first time to wash a lot of plates. It's tiring - at least for her who is not used to it.

 

Checking on her right and her left, all of the volunteers seemed older for her. And they're like so professional with it. They're so fast, which caused her jaw to drop. 'Err... I'm embarrassing. But at least, I finished first.' She said at the back of her head, quietly snickering.

 

She checks on her time; 9:30am. She's really that fast. And that made her happy.

 

Taking off the apron in her, she put it aside and casually left the kitchen. It took only 5 steps for her when she walk backwards and turned - going to the locker room. She almost forgot, she has to bring her stuff so it will keep her company, while she hangs out with Seohyun. She planned to know more the latter, since out of the patients, she's only the person that got her interest. Not to mention, the only person that has almost at the same age as hers.

 

"Wow. Did you just get a new friend that fast?" Her co-volunteer asked her once she opened her locker. She looked at him with an amuse smile.

 

"What's your name again? I didn't get it earlier." 

 

"Ugh, I'm Sam." 

 

"Ah... Sam." She nod her head lightly, as she put it on her mind. "Sam Smith? Hehe joke. And to answer your question... Yep, I did get a new friend." a goofy grin spread in her face.

 

"Your face tells it all. So Who?" Sam stepped closer to tease the doe-eyed.

 

"Hehe, Sorry. I won't tell. But... just see for yourself." Yoona said and pushed the guy lightly away from her. "Let's just work on our own way, Okay? Enjoy the rest of the day Sam." She zip her backpack again and put it on her locker. Securely locking it, she made another meaningful towards the puzzle guy before she left.

 

"Wow. I didn't know an Im can act that way." Sam is totally speechless. The level of confidence from the girl definitely not he expected.

 

Meanwhile, Yoona is carrying her usual drawing book and a pencil, excited to share some stuffs to Seohyun. That big and happy smile she's wearing, is still there all the way to the elevator. One nurse look at her and greeted her with a bow. She bowed back, still smiling like an idiot. It's just the first day, but here she is, looking forward for more days.

 

*ding*

 

As soon as the elevator stopped at 3rd floor, she immediately walked out and was careful to pass a patient. She put her free hand inside her pocket as she continue to walk, comfortably. The hallway isn't that crowded with patients. But she still has to maintain her composure. Before she can reach Seohyun's door, she caught her father -- No the latter also caught her. He smiled at her, and she can't help but smile back.

 

"What's up? How's the day so far, honey?" Mr. Im patted his daughter's shoulder twice. He's glad to see her face bright.

 

"It's just how many hours, Appa? Of coourse, it's good." Yoona playfully pat her father's shoulder back. He's not that tall for her. So she can do so.

 

"Chincha? That's good to hear. Did you get stamps from patients?" 

 

"A lot of stamps. I think I got 500 now." Yoona chukled.

 

Mr Im smiled amusingly. "See? I know you will enjoy it, honey. Keep it up, Okay? Let's have lunch together - later."

 

"No!"

 

"What?"

 

"What I mean is, I won't decline your offer. Let's have lunch together then. But hold on a second, I'm visiting someone. I'll see you later." Without waiting for any response, Yoona continued her way to Seohyun's room. 

 

Doctor Im's brows creased, once he saw Yoona entered Seohyun's room. Previously he just visited. "Okay. He's indeed enjoying it." He didn't mind anyway, as he resumed walking to the elevator.

 

Yoona, she almost want to shout for help when she saw Seohyun is wearing a kaonashi mask. She was greeted by the girl standing immobile wearing it. "Yah! You almost killed the hell out of me!" She literally almost hit her, but quickly retracted her hand when she reminds herself about her sick body.

 

Seohyun chuckles and wants to put the mask back, but Yoona's stare is preventing her. As if, it will really kill the latter. "Isn't this cute? Kaonashi is my favorite character too, besides my keroro." She giggles. But besides loving Kaonashi, it reminds her of her brother - who always wear it for her. 

 

"So childish. When did you actually born? I think I'm talking to a child." Yoona is now having 2nd thoughts if she's really 25 or not. 

 

"I'm 1991. You're 1990, right?"

 

"Ugh, don't remind me I'm older." Yoona steals the mask and grimaced as she looks at it.

 

"Why? You don't like Kaonashi?" A pout formed in Seohyun's lips.

 

"Not a fan of any animated film. Sorry." Giving it back, Yoona sighed in the process. "But why don't you share more of your anime films you have watch? It'll be interesting." yet, she quickly take it back.

 

"Chincha?" Seohyun brightly responded.

 

"Yes. So... let's go out and find some comfortable place." Yoona was about to take Seohyun's hand when she realized the girl's right hand is no longer connected to any dextrose. She looked at Seohyun with a curious stare.

 

"Oh, Doctor Im take it off. He normally do this after taking my injection earlier. It's like my medicine too. I'll be dexstrose again later tonight." Seohyun said, flashing a brief smile.

 

"I didn't know that can be done." Yoona definitely had learn a new thing. 

 

"So where are we going?"

 

"Where?"

 

"You told me we're going out." Seohyun got excited. But Yoona seemed to think of it first. She wonders if she knows where. 

 

"Honestly, I don't know yet. The Hospital is so big with 12 floors. I haven't... tour around the hospital." Yoona sheepishly replied. She sighed and innocently stared into Seohyun's eyes. "I only have tour the first, 2nd and 3rd. hehe."

 

"That's okay. I'll tour you around then."

 

With a big grin, Yoona's head nod enthusiastically. "That's a great idea!"

 

"Yeah. Uh, after you." Seohyun surely can see Yoona's excitement. And it's really funny that she's acting childish too. Did she just found another childish friend? Since she told her she's also childish.

 

Complying, the doe-eyed girl opened the door and walked out. Seohyun followed. But before she continue walking, she looked at the girl in concern. "You can go around with this? I mean, will it be tiring?"

 

"I've been here for 5 years - I can even run around. Unless, I'm not in a good condition. I can do whatever I want, within this hospital." Seohyun reassured. She understands Yoona's concern. And to show it, she walks ahead faster than she did earlier.

 

Yoona's jaw drop. 

 

"Aren't you going with me, or not?" Seohyun chuckled and continue walking, heading to the elevator.

 

"O-Okay." Yoona has to jog to catch up. Heck, she was surprised when the younger girl turned to the right and headed to the stairs. "Wait! You're not going to use the elevator?!" She stopped her, before she can take one step on it.

 

"Elevator makes me dizzy. And I do this if I want to exercise. It's more effective than going on a gym." 

 

"Whaaaat? You can afford like this???!!!"

 

Totally enjoying Yoona's reaction, Seohyun decided to hold her hand. "Why don't you hold on me if you can no longer take it, walking on the stairs?" She offered with a playful smile.

 

"No. It's okay." Yoona retracted back her hand. "I can do it on my own." she said and started climbing the stairs, ahead first.

 

"Don't be too fast. You'll get tired easily!" Seohyun teases, as she followed close to Yoona. She put on the Kaonashi mask, to tease the girl.

 

Yoona looks back, amazed how Seohyun is indeed taking the steps without any problem. But the mask just literally sends shiver down to her spine. She's a 4d person, isn't she? 'I seriously think she's just acting sick.' But she can't help it and having 2nd thoughts again. As she resumes, she keeps on looking back, making sure she won't see her tired. But the more she looks back, the more she can see Seohyun's strong legs. She's even whistling and giving her reassuring smile.

 

Yoona smiled back and turned her head straight -- only to crash her face against the door. 

 

*thud*

 

'Damn.' 

 

"Are you okay?" A concerned voice echoed, coming from Seohyun herself.

 

Yoona put an okay sign in the air, but her other hand is rubbing her forehead. She then angrily kicked the door open - almost want to break it. But quickly compose herself when Seohyun finally arrived at the 4th floor.

 

"Your forehead is red. You're seriously okay?"

 

"Yup. It's just easy for me. So what floor is this, Miss tour guide?" Doesn't want to be embarrassed nor worry the girl, Yoona immediately change the topic. Her eyebrows are wiggling.

 

Seohyun sighed, as she take a step closer to Yoona and reach for the latter's forehead. She rubs the red spot in the latter gently, the girl groaned. "See? That was a hard bump, was it?"

 

"I told you, it's okay. Let's mind this later." Without a doubt, Yoona reached for the younger girl's shoulders and turn her around. "Just tour me. I want to know every rooms in the 4th floor." She mumbles on her own.

 

"O-Okay." Couldn't decline, Seohyun shrugs about Yoona's bump and continue with thier plan. "So basically, every rooms here are like Doctor's clinic and offices. Your father's office is also here."

 

"Oh...." nodded Yoona in understanding while keeping her one hand in Seohyun's right shoulder. She as she looked at each rooms, with the Doctor's name in their doors. Some patients are inside, while others are waiting outside. Nurses can be seen around also. But when she faces the back of Seohyun's head again, she almost want to scream with the mask behind the girl. "You. Can you take Kaonashi off?"

 

"Kaonashi is cute."

 

"It's not for me!"

 

"But it is for me."

 

"Aish! Whatever Joohyun!" Yoona decided to walk in Seohyun's side, than behind her. The girl stopped in front of someone's door. "Whose door?"

 

"Read it." 

 

Taking a step forward, Yoona raised her brows and almost felt like stupid when she realized it's her father's. "Aigoo, of course my father."

 

"Is he inside?" Seohyun also take a step forward. The door has a small window, so they can peek inside.

 

"I think not."

 

"He's always busy with other patients. Or sometimes, with another Doctors."

 

Yoona frowned. "Wow. You really know, eh?"

 

"Of course. I've told you, I'm 5 years here already. He's been my Doctor for 5 years." Seohyun proudly replied. 

 

"Chincha? But is he your first choice? You know, some patients ends up with their first choice of Doctor."

 

"Nope. He's my 2nd choice. My last Doctor ain't good enough. He's better."

 

Yoona couldn't answer. As she find it, a bit disappointing. Because her father is only good at his work, but never been a good father to her. However, hearing it from Seohyun, who have been with him for 5 years, there's a little proud that created in her heart. 

 

"Wae?" Seohyun realized the older girl falls into a complete silence. She looked at her, only to see her staring at her.

 

"Nothing. I just find it... good to hear. Someone is praising my father's work." Yoona mutters softly. She doesn't even praise her father. How embarrassing for her.

 

"Well, it's true." Seohyun never hesitated and says. "Not just in his work, but also as a person, I must say." He felt proud a Doctor like Yoona's father is her personal Doctor.

 

"Yeah, yeah... I know. Um, shall we continue?" Yoona ignored Seohyun's more praise and continue walking.

 

"O-O... kay." The younger girl can only say, following back the doe-eyed.

 

-

 

In the 6th floor, Seohyun toured Yoona to more rooms. By this time, patients can be seen more than the Doctors. 

 

"6th floor is for different kinds of illness. More on like, not serious kind of them. A lot says why it isn't special as cancer patients."

 

"Well, I kind of understands that."

 

"What? Explain it." Seohyun dares.

 

Blocking the younger girl from walking, Yoona crossed her arms and confidently says, "Because I think Doctors want to make them feel special as what their life is. Everyone of us has the right to live beautifully in this world. But due to... this. They weren't able to. The hospital just doesn't wants to give hope to those who are striving for their lives. They want also for cancer patients to feel that they're not sick. That its about rainbows everywhere. So there's no reason to be sad at all. Just keep on going - in time, they'll get there healing process... And it would really be worth. Its not easy... Am I right?" She flashed a grin, hoping she's convincing. Half of what she said honestly came from the hospital's mission vision she has read in the bulletin earlier.

 

"Well... you're right." Seohyun was left speechless. 'Did she just read the bulletin? But she expanded it. It's good.'

 

--

 

"So 8th floor is laboraties." said Yoona, as soon as they arrived at the 6th floor in stairs again.

 

"Examination room -- and everyhing. "

 

"Why did they put it here? Shouldn't it be in the first floor?"

 

"There's also there. But these rooms are for further examanations. You know, they want to make sure that you got the correct result."

 

Agape, and totally impress, Yoona looked at Seohyun with lips parted. She soon nodded and replied, "I see. I understand now."

 

"You want to try one of them?"

 

"No way!" Without warning, Yoona runs off, heading to the elevator. Yet, she stop and turned to her tour guide. She sighed and take the stairs again.

 

Seohyun chuckles, following Yoona -- likewise.

 

--

 

Upon arriving at the top floor, Yoona let out a long sigh through . The 9th are more wards but most of them are for intensive care rooms just like the 5th floor. The 10th and 11th floor are clinics to different kinds of Specialists. But the 12th floor seemed to be the floor she did not expect. She can see a cafe and tables and chairs. As if the 2nd cafeteria. Not to mention, the walls are glasses. Which seems, you can have the view outside.

 

"This is my favorite place other than the mini bookstore in the first floor." Seohyun informed, as she casually take her seat to one of the tables in the corner of the wide floor.

 

"There's a bookstore?" Yoona also does this same. She can finally rest her hand from carrying her drawing book on top of the table.

 

"Yep. It's an extension of this building. You haven't seen it yet?"

 

"I told you. I haven't tour around. I never even toured the first floor. Like I said as well, this Hospital is so big."

 

"There's a park even outside."

 

Upon hearing the mention of the 'park', Yoona made a mental note about the snowman she did. She grinned and nodded, "Yeah, I've been there... once."

 

"So I was curious... why are you carrying a drawing book?" Seohyun had been noticing it since they started touring around. And she never seen Yoona complained because she's been holding it.

 

"Um, before anything else. Let me ask you -- Aren't you thirsty? Because I'm totally thirsty." Yoona dramatically rub her neck. 

 

The younger girl cleared . Her dry throat precisely. "Yes. I think I am." her voice almost like a whisper, earning a giggle from Yoona. Her cheeks slightly turned red out of embarrassment.

 

"I'll get you water then. A tap water, of course." Yoona said, knowingly. She quickly got up and rushed to the counter.

 

Seohyun couldn't able to say another word again. She feels like the doe-eyed have learned about her already. She's impressed. She's... getting comfortable around her. Well, who wouldn't? It's fun to sometimes. She seems to talk a lot too. And the least, she's afraid of her kaonashi mask.

 

Yoona on the other hand, it's too oblivious with the younger girl's stare behind. She is like stomping her feet from time to time, couldn't wait any longer to grab some water. As soon as she got it, she immediately grabs the glass and drinks it in one go. Seohyun in their table gasped to see her almost eating the glass.

 

"Wow. That was so good. Um, hold on." And then, she turned to go back to the table she shared with the younger girl.

 

"You... you really just... " Seohyun couldn't continue her words as she ends up giggling. She took her glass and was careful to drink it.

 

Yoona went back to the counter and decided to order. "Can I order a Chocolate cake for Seohyun?" and since she knows, the staffs in the hospital knows her, she asks for advice.

 

"Hmm, Nope. Chocolate aren't allowed for her. But you can order a sweet potato cake somehow. It's organic and absolutely healthy." The employee of the cafe said with a knowing smile.

 

"Oh, So I'm right. You also knows her well. Okay. I'll order for it. The Chocolate is for me then."

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter