Blood 10

Blood
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning Alyssa went up to Hyunjoong’s office with an envelope in her hand.

“Knock! Knock!”

“Come in!”

Alyssa stepped into the office and walked straight up to Hyunjoong’s desk, placing the envelope on his desk. “This is my resignation letter.”

This sudden news hit Hyunjoong real hard and he looked at her in shock.

“My last day will be one month from today’s date and I will make sure I do a proper handover to my team.”

“Are you serious about your decision?”

“Yes.” She bowed and left Hyunjoong’s office after that.

---

Jaejoong was doing his round at Section 21 when he heard Alyssa telling her patient that she would be leaving.

“Don’t tell me it’s because of me knowing about her being ill?” Jaejoong thought.

Just then Alyssa stepped out of the ward and was surprised to see Jaejoong standing outside the ward, looking dazed. “Are you okay?” Alyssa asked, snapping him out of his trance.

“Are you leaving?”

Alyssa was shocked at the first place but she recomposed herself back very quickly. “Yes.”

“Why?”

Alyssa was about to open when someone burst in with an emergency.

“Dr Chua! Dr Kim! The patient from ward 212 is having a fit!”

Alyssa and Jaejoong went into the ward to see the patient shivering on his bed with covers pulled over his head.

“What is wrong with him?” Jaejoong asked until he saw blood seeping through the covers.

Alyssa yanked the covers away and saw the blood flowing out from the patient’s nose and ears. His eyes were rolled back as well.

“What the…”

---

The patient was in bad shape and Hyunjoong had ordered to put this patient in quarantine based on the blood test report from the New Drug Research Team. It seemed like Hyunjoong had taken the patient’s care out of Alyssa’s hand and assigned him to the Drug Research Team to handle this unidentified virus.

Victoria managed to stabilize the patient so as to cover what she has been doing.

She was called to Hyunjoong’s office after that.

“Has everything settled?” Hyunjoong asked the moment she closed the door.

“Yes, master.” Victoria said with her head low.

Hyunjoong walked towards her and leant in to whisper at her ear. “Please allow me to keep the promise I made to you. If you were to make one more mistake again, the promise shall be revoked.”

Victoria’s eyes went wide, shivering. “Noted, master. I will be more careful next time.” Victoria replied in a trembling voice.

---

Alyssa, Jaejoong, Jiyong and Yoona were having a meeting in the hematology laboratory to discuss Patient Jung.

“The blood tests are definitely fake ones!” Jaejoong said loudly.

“Anything from the New Drug Research Team is fake.” Yoona commented.

“There must be an unrecorded medication given to the patient and this is why he had this reaction.” Jiyong said.

“I agree with Dr Kwon.” Jaejoong added.

“Dr Chua, maybe we should…”

Alyssa held her hand up to stop Jiyong from talking further. “Dr Kwon, I had just submitted my resignation so I will be leaving the hospital in one month time.”

“Dr Chua, why don’t you consider staying? I mean we are on the verge of uncovering something big.”

Alyssa didn’t reply him and she stood up, leaving Jiyong’s office.

---

The chairman called Hyunjoong in for a meeting to discuss about the unsettling events in Section 21 that occurred in the past week – a discharged patient dying in a car accident and now a patient was put in quarantine.

“I’m sorry, chairman. We failed to do a proper screening on the patients.” Hyunjoong apologized.

“Alright. Please be more careful next time.” Chairman Kim reminded.

“Yes, Chairman.” Hyunjoong bowed and left the chairman’s office.

“Knock knock!”

“Come in!”

“Abeoji!”

“Ah! Jaejoong-ah, shouldn’t you be…”

“Appa, the New Drug Research Team…”

“Enough! Jaejoong!”

“Why does the New Drug Team have unprecedented access to all the patients and Director Kim’s authority?” Jaejoong rebuked.

“Enough of these nonsense! You better not bring this up again or else you will face disciplinary action!” Chairman Kim scolded Jaejoong.

“Aish!” With that Jaejoong stormed out of his father’s office.

---

Alyssa was making her round to visit her patients in Section 21 until the young daughter of the liver cancer patient came to look for her. “Dr Chua.” She called.

“Yes, Nayoung? What is it?” Alyssa asked.

“Can I talk to you for a moment?” Nayoung asked.

“Sure. Let’s go to the cafeteria.” With that the two made their way to the hospital’s cafeteria.

“Dr Chua, is there any way to prolong my father’s life?”

Alyssa kept quiet and stared down at the little girl.

Hearing no reply from Alyssa, Nayoung started crying. “I feel so bad for causing all my father’s sufferings.” She whimpered.

“Why did you say that?” Alyssa asked.

“My father’s wish is to walk me down the aisle and he is hanging on to his life because of me.”

Alyssa didn’t know what to say other than patting Nayoung’s head.

---

After sending Nayoung away, Alyssa continued to make her round when she walked past a ward where this young patient was throwing a fit in his ward. “I don’t want to eat!” The boy threw his food tray across the room. “I would rather starve myself to death than eat the horrible hospital food!”

Just then Yifan was about to bring a new tray of food for the patient when he saw Alyssa standing outside the ward. “Dr Chua.” He bowed but was stopped by Jaejoong.

“Hold it right there.” Yifan was stunned and turned to see Jaejoong walking towards them.

“Dr Kim.” Yifan bowed.

“Bring the food back.” Jaejoong said.

“But…”

“No food or water will be given to kids who don’t listen to doctor. If he say he want to starve to death then let him be.” Jaejoong told Yifan, looking smugly at Taemin.

Taemin folded his arms behind his chest and turned away angrily, not wanting to look at Jaejoong or Yifan.

At the nurses’ station, the nurses were discussing about Taemin’s sad story. “Do you know about the story of that little boy?” Tiffany asked.

“What is it about the little boy?” Alyssa walked up to the nurses’ station.

“Dr Chua.” The two nurses greeted her.

“I heard that his parents died when he was seven years old and the child services took him in. But little did he know that he would contract cancer now. Hence this is the reason why he doesn’t want to live.” Taeyeon said.

Upon hearing the story, Jaejoong signaled Yifan to come over.

“Yes, Dr Kim?”

“Bring something that smells yummy from the cafeteria for that kid.” Jaejoong told him.

“Yes, Dr Kim.” Yifan bowed and ran off after that.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter