Reflections

The Princess And The Pea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter 9. Reflections

 

When the despicable woman took his daughter in a corner, he pondered on the introduction that Euna gave. He sighed when he realized that the mommy she had been crooning about was no other than that annoying woman. Crossing his arms on his chest, he watched Joohyun talk to Euna softly that he could only wish he could hear them. The sight gave him a weird feeling though, watching his baby girl look at the woman with that almost adoration he would only see every time she wanted something from a store. If this woman was really who her daughter wanted to be her next mother, then Yonghwa could not possibly afford to indulge her.

 

He was getting impatient though. Watching the two exchange frowns then smiles was making him even more curious as to why the woman had to drag Euna away. Seo Joohyun was obviously not a very good role model for Euna so he walked closer hoping to break whatever bond they were starting to make.

 

The woman smiled wider offering her hand to Euna, “Joohyun Unnie.”

 

“Oh, you’re Joohyun-ssi?!? The spoiled brat witch?!?!”

 

“The what?!”

 

“Eunayah!” Yonghwa ran to where his daughter was and covered with his hand before she could say some more.

 

Joohyun’s eyes drew wide with what the little girl just said until her laughter broke in the air, “Spoiled brat witch, huh? Director Jung,” her brows creased as she regarded him playfully, “That is just very mature of you.”

 

Yonghwa could only scowl when she walked closer to them. He swallowed hard watching that tiny devilish smirk on the corners of her lips, her eyes glittering with mischief. Before he could process what was happening, she leaned closer putting a hand on his shoulder and his breath got caught is his throat. What the hell??? And in one sweep, Joohyun bended low and dropped a kiss on Euna’s cheek as the little girl giggled with delight. He took a deep breath when he realized he almost thought she was going to kiss him.

 

She straightened but only removed her hand from his shoulder after giving him a gentle pat.

 

With a small wave, she walked away.

 

Euna watched her mommy took the opposite path. She smiled when she remembered that she kissed her— it made her heart really happy. She turned to ask her appa if he saw her mommy kiss Euna but when she looked up at him, she saw her appa’s face was so white and his mouth was almost open. It was funny so she giggled and it was only then that he looked down on her.

 

Yonghwa scowled at his daughter who was clearly laughing at him. He was dumbstruck by what just happened. It was as if he got transported in a bizarre dream or nightmare, for that matter. Taking a deep breath, he led them back to the party.

 

~~~

 

A few hours later, Yonghwa took his place in one corner table where he could watch his daughter from afar. He lazily lounged on his seat while watching the happy children by the side of the wishing well gathered around the woman in white. She herded most of the children together in a big picnic mat and now they are all excitedly cheerful—laughing and singing. He noticed how Euna seemed to be in her highest spirit at that moment but he still could not believe that the woman she has been dying to meet is the same woman who he despises. Euna looked at his direction and waved. Waving back, he noticed that Joohyun followed his daughter’s gaze but when she met his eyes, she turned away as if it did not happen.

 

“She loves children…” the Chairman’s voice came from behind, “At least, the parents here will not be worried of all the running-arounds.”

 

“Ye…” he stood and accepted the glass of rum the older man offered him. The director gestured for him to sit and took the chair beside him. “Euna looks really happy,” Yonghwa said.

 

“And Joohyun too, and all of them I hope,” the Chairman grinned, “It makes me happy that I can make all of you happy even just for this little time together.”

 

“Euna even regard this gathering as Christmas,” he smiled as the older man laughed.

 

“I guess I am the happiest now. I have my baby back. This get-together was her mother’s idea and we have been doing this for years. I know that Joohyun missed attending this when she went away.”

 

Yonghwa noticed the serene look on his face. It was something he also feels whenever he gets to see his daughter after a field trip.

 

The chairman looked at him and wore that apologetic smile, “I know you’re having a hard time with my daughter, but try to be patient she will soon get the hang of it…”

 

He would want to assure the old man that he will try his best but he can’t find the right words to say.

 

“Yonghwa, if you really cannot handle her anymore just tell me.” Chairman Seo looked at him squarely, “Do you want me to pull her out now?”

 

Maybe it came to his attention about the word war that they have been having, “No sir, it’s okay. I can still handle her.”

 

“That’s good then,” he patted his shoulder, “I know I chose the right person.”

 

That was a loaded statement— something that he felt ominous about.

 

Suddenly, Yonghwa focused his attention ahead just in time to see Joohyun turning to her dad and giving him a smile. Then she shifted her gaze to him, holding on it for a second with that tiny glimmer of smile. He could not explain the sudden electricity that surged in his spine. There was something on that smile that he missed, something that he wanted to recall and forget at the same time. Why does it feel like he wanted to walk right towards her and ask why is she giving him that sudden kind of confusing feeling?

 

Joohyun saw her dad sitting by the veranda across the garden; she gave him a smile when he looked her way. It was then she noticed that man sitting beside him and she could not help but smile at him as well. A surge of something indistinguishable washed over her that very moment. Maybe it’s because of the happy atmosphere. Maybe it’s because of some of the complete family around her. Maybe she is so happy being back home with her father.

 

She could still feel his gaze from the corner of her eyes. The way he was looking at her was making her feel uncomfortable. Joohyun forced herself to pull away from the thought of him and focus on the little boy who was telling an animated story. Everybody laughed and so she pretended to understand and laughed as well but she was dying to get away from that space. Although they were in a big open garden but she could not breathe— could not breathe thinking of those eyes that were studying her.

 

A pink azalea was gently shoved into her face and Euna said sorry because her astonishment was clear. She smiled and bended over to the little girl and kissed her cheek. Afterwards, Euna knelt on her side and tucked the flower on the side of her ear and she laughed. She urged the boys to pick some flowers and give them to the girls until they are started playing again.

 

Yonghwa continued to watch the group. Every movement did not escape his eyes. He saw how she looked uncomfortable. He witnessed how his daughter offered her a flower and how she kissed her. The affection she gave to his daughter was something foreign to him. A smile formed on his lips.

 

The happiness around him was contagious.

 

Euna, by some punishment of heaven, seemed to be wrapping herself around Joohyun. Always wanting to be the one she is holding hands with and nobody else, maybe that’s why he is observing them carefully. Is he so jealous of the attention she is getting from his daughter? She smiled to herself and embraced the little girl when she said a simple thing—just to show off.

 

She decided to invite the children to her playroom. It is one of the rooms in the house that her dad hold sacred but she decided it would be better to be there than having that creepy feeling when she realized he is not going to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter