Chase

The Princess And The Pea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter 45. Chase

 

 

It was still fresh in Yonghwa’s memory—seeing her walk away and disappearing among the throngs of people in the airport. He left an hour later because he couldn’t seem to make himself go. Probably he was waiting for a miracle just like those on TV where she would realize something and ran back to him.

 

 

It was a crazy thought, of course, because she never did.

 

 

And he was still waiting.

 

 

Yonghwa stared at his phone again and reread the last email he sent:

 

 

Been missing you a lot. I’m trying to call you but I only get through voicemail. I thought it’ll only be for a few days… it’s almost two weeks, Hyun. Euna’s asking about you too. Hurry home soon please. Miss you so much.

 

 

He sounded desperate indeed. The last time they talked was three days ago when he went to pick up Euna from school and Joohyun called her cell. It was as if she didn’t have a choice but to talk to him. Their conversation was brief since his little girl demanded to talk to her more and when he had his turn, Joohyun was already hurrying to leave. She didn’t tell him then if her return would be delayed and it had been worrying him to no end but the chairman assured him that Joohyun was just busy, that it was really something that she does, and advised him to just give her time.

 

 

The message wasn’t clear to him though. What did her father mean that it was something that she does? And why does he need to give her time?

 

 

Shaking his head, he decided to just do what he had been doing these days— work.

 

 

He sighed at the amount of contracts he needed to sign but when he searched for the fountain pen he used for this purpose, he couldn’t see it on his desk so he decided to get a new one from his stash. Yonghwa pulled the drawer on his right and fished for a new pen, what he touched though stilled him. Slowly, he took the ring out of the drawer and just recalled that he placed it there after his last visit at the cemetery.

 

 

He lounged on his chair and shut his eyes tight.

 

 

Why do this always have to happen?

 

 

~~~

 

Joohyun reread his message for the thousandth times then smiled sadly. For the past days, she had been going in and out of this whirlwind of emotions. She did her homework for the gallery, of course, because it was the best distraction she had but after that, she was lost. It only took her one day to talk to the investor, another to meet someone else that she even managed to close another deal. Afterwards, she found time to visit a few galleries and museums and just stall.

 

And then, she was back in the dark woods of her mind.

 

Those days that she had to get up and realize that she needed to go back was a torture. Thus, she let it drag on, making excuses every time Taeyeon or Changmin asked when she was flying home. And a few days later, she stopped calling Yonghwa but couldn’t bear the thought of not hearing his little girl’s voice.

 

It was also those days of being away that she realized how much she loves Euna. She would die for that little girl. She would do everything for her. And out of her love for her, she decided that she would finally end things with the father.

 

Joohyun saw herself in Euna. The wide-eyed innocence, the way she believed that feelings could just magically happen. The little girl loves her daddy so much and she could feel that she loves her, maybe not that much, but that little girl undeniably loves her. For these reasons, she didn’t want to let Euna have the kind of life she lived growing up with two loving parents yet she witnessed her mother’s grief. And Joohyun secretly grieved with her. She didn’t want Euna to go through the pain she had. Although she managed to keep a cheery mindset, the pain inside never did leave her.

 

Her phone vibrated in her hand that she shunned those thoughts in her mind knowing she was about to face reality. The message was from their family driver telling her he was close and asked to confirm her gate. It was then she decided to call him. Her fingers lingered for a second on that call button before she finally pressed it.

 

Joohyun sighed when he answered immediately, “Hello, oppa?”

 

“Hyun?!”

 

She could not deny the warmth that spread through her hearing the urgency in his voice, like he was fearing he was just imagining her. And it made Joohyun smile as she confirmed, “Yes, Oppa, it’s me…”

 

“Oh god, I have been so worried about you…”

 

“Oppa, I’m at the airport.”

 

“Incheon? Now?” Yonghwa sounded both desperate and relieved.

 

“De.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me you’re coming back now?” He admonished yet his tone changed probably realizing it was not the best time, “Wait for me, I’m going to pick you up.”

 

“No need oppa, my driver is here,” Joohyun sighed knowing that she really timed that call when her driver was close by so she wouldn’t feel too much guilt for it. Then she added, “I just called to tell you that I’m home…”

 

“Oh, okay. Will I see you tonight then?”

 

“I’m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter