Words

The Princess And The Pea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 41. Words

 

After work, they decided to have dinner on that cozy little restaurant they unofficially turned into their usual dating place. And like every other dinner dates, they would end the night with a walk in the park before he drove her home. Everything seemed to be in place but lately he noticed that Joohyun would become pensive and if she caught him staring, she would easily wipe the seriousness away with a playful smile or a quick retort that would knock him off his feet.

 

Brushing those thoughts aside, he made a turn just in time to see their gates opening. Yonghwa stopped the engine in front of their main door and waited for her unfasten her seatbelt.

 

“Good night…” she smiled then leaned closer to brush a swift kiss on his cheek, “That’s for Euna.”

 

Joohyun was about to open the door when she caught her arm and muttered, “Ya, not too fast. Where’s Yonghwa’s?”

 

“Thought you won’t ask…” she giggled and kissed him on the cheek again. She laughed when he frowned so she boldly cupped her cheeks and claimed his lips as if she was starved from his kisses. Yonghwa shifted, catching her by the waist and taking over the kiss she started.

 

After a few breathless kisses, she slowly withdrew and searched for his eyes. “Director Jung… do you love me?”

 

Before she even realized what she just asked, it was already out. It was random. It was a spur of the moment response to that another amazing encounter through that kiss they just shared. Seconds ticked by and she just stared at him waiting for his answer.

 

Yonghwa was obviously frozen still from that question more than the kiss. The glimmer in her eyes made him weak.

 

The wind blew from the open car window. His silence pierced through her.

 

“I—“

 

He started but the hurt was already there so she masked it with the hardest grin she could muster. Joohyun shoved him gently as if it was part of her trick, “Oh, don’t answer! I’m just kidding…”

 

Yonghwa noticed that forced smile. He wanted a reset— to turn back the clock even for just a few seconds, “Hyun, I…”

 

“I’ll go in now. I saw my Appa’s silhouette…” Joohyun shifted her gaze as if she was checking for her father. Then, she turned to him with another playful wink as if she didn’t ask that question that surely rattled him, “It’s not good to stay inside an unmoving car for a long time…”

 

“Joohyun—“

 

“See you tomorrow!” She was out of the car in a blink, “Drive safely and send me a message when you get home, Director Jung…”

 

Yonghwa watched her run inside their house without even looking back. He knew that she was far from the bubbly girl she posed after his silence. He must have been the biggest fool of all because, in retrospect, he should have known the right answer to that question and it was as if she gave him time to answer.

 

But his time ran out.

 

Something told him that things would change after that. The air was chilly so he rolled up the window and started the engine. He drove away with the heaviest heart this time.

 

~~~

 

Her own heart was pounding in crazy rhythms and she counted every breath she took. She hated that feeling and scolded herself for she should had been contented with having her time close to him. Maybe she was asking for too much, but then again she remembered their past conversation before this crazy relationship even started.

 

Joohyun even that he was still not over Ha In because he was still very much in love with his dead wife.

 

With that thought in mind, she haphazardly dialed the voice of reason that would usually set her mind at ease. In just a single ring, he answered and it made her smile, “Oppa, random thought. If you love someone is it okay to tell that person that you do?”

 

“Huh?” The confusion on Changmin’s voice was apparent.

 

“Just answer, please…” she said with agitation.

 

“Of course!” He chuckled, “Where in the random universe did that question come from?”

 

Joohyun rolled her eyes but sighed, “Just somewhere in the random universe.”

 

There was a moment of silence before Changmin continued, “Yeah, okay… anything else? Because I’m in the middle of something very, very important here…”

 

“Seriously…” she muttered, “You and your very important something. That’s why I never wanted to be your girlfriend!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter