Sweet Dreams

The Princess And The Pea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 26. Sweet Dreams

 

It was dark when they reached home and Euna was at the gate waiting for them. She leapt on her feet the moment Joohyun got out of the car and literally jumped into her.

 

“You’re here!!!!”

 

“I guess I am,” Joohyun shot Yonghwa an amused grin then stooped low to hug the little girl, “Were you good while appa was away?”

 

“Uh-huh,” Euna nodded eagerly then dropped her arms on her umma’s shoulder and hugged her. Umma was seriously surprised but she didn’t really care, “I miss you so much!”

 

Joohyun laughed again while Yonghwa was already scowling behind them, “I miss you too, princess.” She then whispered but loud enough for the father to hear, “I think you should greet appa now.”

 

“You are hurting my feelings, Jung Euna,” Yonghwa crossed his arms on his chest. Not really hurting actually, he loved the scene he was witnessing.

 

Euna ran to her appa and gave him a brief hug, “I miss you too, appa!” Stepping back, she looked at her mommy again, “You can eat dinner here at my house, okay?”

 

“You are inviting me for dinner in your house?” Joohyun laughed softly.

 

“Yes, yes!!!” She hopped on her feet then turned to her appa, “She can appa, okay? Okay?”

 

He found himself chuckling, “Sure thing, Euna.” Yonghwa lifted his gaze to the woman in question and asked gently, “That’s if she really wants to…”

 

The two looked at her expectantly. It was not really what she planned since she was, in reality, trying to get away. But Euna’s pleading expression and the softness of the little girl’s father’s expression rendered her helpless, so she nodded, “Okay, besides, I owe you the last time…”

 

“Yes!” Euna jumped but looked at her seriously afterwards, “But that one is dinner in the restaurant and here is dinner at my house so you still owe me!”

 

Joohyun looked up to see that amused expression Yonghwa was wearing so she rolled her eyes at him but smiled at the tiny person between them, “Fine, we’ll have dinner outside too next time.”

 

“Yehey!!!” Euna hopped again then took her hand, “Let’s go! I’ll show you my room!”

 

He nodded at her when Joohyun gave her a small smile. Walking behind them, he could tell how happy his daughter was. Somehow it was weird to have her in their house but then again, it was already giving him a good feeling. He decided to head to the kitchen after dropping his bag on the couch. Of course, he needed to prepare something. Thankfully, his mother had enough side dishes in the refrigerator but he decided to make samgyupsal and japchae. It was some sort of an event anyway.

 

After a few minutes, the two appeared in the kitchen and Joohyun stood beside him while he was mixing the glass noodles with the sauce.

 

“Need help?” Joohyun asked while Euna started taking out the utensils and told her to sit and wait but she opted to go to him.

 

“Can you cook?” Yonghwa replied instead and gave her a small grin for he was hinting on the answer.

 

His expression made her laugh softly, “You got me there…”

 

“Right,” he chuckled and elbowed her lightly, “How are you supposed to cook for your husband?”

 

“It’s either we eat out or he cooks for me,” she shrugged and walked to the table. That kind of talk was probably not good for them. She smiled when she noticed that the table was already set and Euna was carrying the pitcher of water that she took from the ref. It was obvious that it was one of her house chores since she didn’t need to be told.

 

After putting the water on the table, she pointed at one corner, “You sit there, Unnie…”

 

“Thank you, Euna,” she grinned patting her on the head.

 

Euna was thinking really hard where she would let her umma sit. She would love to sit between them like a real family but she was thinking maybe it would be better if her umma sit next to her appa so they will really be close and they can talk and look at each other like that. She then took the seat beside her umma as they waited for the food.

 

Yonghwa shook his head behind the girls as he noticed the sitting arrangement. But then again, he didn’t mind— not at all.

 

Dinner went well but they talked mainly about Euna which was no surprise since she dominated the whole conversation. After eating, Joohyun offered to do the dishes and have Euna help her while he left to shower. It was almost two hours that she was there and the awkwardness she was feeling seemed to have evaporated since she had the little girl that acted as their buffer. 

 

When they were done cleaning, the little girl announced that she needed to take her shower and asked for help in a really adorable polite manner that she could not resist. Joohyun also assumed that he probably decided to keep himself in his room while she was still there. But then again, Yonghwa was by his daughter’s doorway the moment they got out of the bathroom.

 

“Ya, Euna. You know we came from a trip,” he looked seriously at his daughter who was already pouting knowing she was in trouble, “Joohyun-ssi is tired.”

 

“Oh no, it’s okay…” she smiled giving a gentle squeeze on the little girl’s hand, “I’ll just put her to bed and—”

 

“Can you read me my bedtime story too?” Euna looked at her umma with her wide eyes that she blinked twice— it usually worked for her halmeoni and other old people.

 

“Ya—” Yonghwa was about to scold her when she started sniffing. He groaned.

 

“I-I… just…” she sniffed and sniffed when she noticed that face her appa was making. He was angry and he was scary and Euna was also sad thinking her time with her umma was finished again so it made her sad and made her eyes cry. “Just want—”

 

Joohyun raised a brow at the man scowling in front of them then sighed as she tugged Euna’s hand again, “Euna, it’s okay… I’ll put you to bed first, we’ll read your story and I’ll go, okay?”

 

“You’d do that?” The little girl wiped her nose with her arm.

 

“Of course!” She smiled and carried her, “Let’s take you to bed…”

 

“Put her down… she’s heavy,” that was all he could say as Joohyun walked past him as if she didn’t hear what he said.

 

~~~

 

Her voice echoed through the silence of the house. Euna must have fallen asleep since she was no longer reading but humming softly. He wanted to fall asleep in that voice too. He turned off the main lights on the living room but left those in the kitchen open that only a glimmer lighted the whole house.

 

Yonghwa stood outside his daughter’s door and closed his eyes. Something is happening that he could not understand. He should keep his distance but that something was not agreeing. He closed his eyes and scenes flashed in his mind. The very first day he saw an intriguing woman who left a different impression on him; the same woman who would smile despite how he would brush her off; the woman who deliberately defies him that nobody could ever do or ever dared; the woman who hides behind her childish surface.

 

The woman totally different from that one he loved in the past.

 

Joohyun leaned slowly to kiss Euna’s forehead and tucked her blanket up. Euna looked more beautiful while she slept and watching her made her want to stay and sleep beside Yonghwa’s daughter but the thought of him made her get up. It was time again to give back the little girl she didn’t own. The tiny person who managed to easily creep in her heart in a flash. She sighed— talking about creeping in her heart. It’s even more painful now knowing she was obviously in love with the father who was probably could not give her the same love she was expecting.

 

She should not think about it because it only hurt her. Slipping carefully off the little girl’s bed, Joohyun knew that there was no more reason for her to stay a little bit longer. She stood but gasped in surprise when she found him leaning on the door of Euna’s room. A grin formed on his lips clearly amused by her reaction.

 

“I’m sorry,” he whispered and moved back when she took the knob and closed the door carefully. Without words, they walked to the living room and he watch her take her handbag then put back some of the things that his daughter took out and inspected moments ago.

 

“It’s late. I’ll get going,” she uttered softly and waited for his reaction but when there was none, she turned towards the door.

 

“Okay, drive safely,” he said behind her. Yonghwa listened to the sound of the knob turning.

 

“Good night,” she answered without looking at him. Suddenly, she felt his warm palm on her hand that was clutching the knob then his hands settled on her shoulders guiding her to face him.

 

“Joohyun-ssi, I don’t know what has gotten into me but I want to kiss you right here…” he stared deep into her eyes while his hand was still on her shoulders, “Right now...”

 

A surge of surprise crept over her that she could hardly move. His voice echoed through the silence. She searched for his eyes bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter