Farewells

The Princess And The Pea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 44. Farewells

 

Joohyun stood behind the little girl watching as she say her goodbye to Daehan. The serenity on Euna’s face amazed her considering how much tears she shed when she learned that her friend was leaving. It was as if she conceded to the thought that there was nothing more for her to do but watch him go. It reminded Joohyun of her own good bye to Changmin when he first left for the US with his mother. Although she was much older than Euna during that time, Joohyun cried so hard and clung to him that they needed to separate her from her Oppa. It was also during the time that she started developing animosity towards her appa because he didn’t allow her to see him until she was old enough to travel alone.

 

Putting the past behind, her heart ached for this little couple because there was this big possibility that this was the last time they would be seeing each other. She sniffed and found Daehan’s mother quietly wiping the side of her eye as she watched the two. They shared the same sad smile when their eyes met.

 

“You take care, okay?” Daehan patted Euna’s shoulder, “You say good bye to Sarang for me, okay?”

 

“De…” Euna gave him a nod, “You too and come visit soon so we can play.”

 

Another knowing smile was passed between the women and Daehan’s mother urged the little boy forward, “Go on, Daehan, give Euna a hug…”

 

Without any further encouragement, the two kids step forward and embraced each other briefly. Joohyun smiled and ruffled the little boy’s hair the moment he pulled away from Euna, “Daehan-ah, be a good boy always and listen to umma and appa well…”

 

 

“De, kamsahamnida,” he gave her a ninety-degree bow much to the adults’ amusement.

 

Joohyun looked to his mother again and smiled, “You are so lucky to have a very fine young boy for a son. I really do hope you can visit as soon as possible.”

 

“Thank you for seeing us off Joohyun-ssi,” Mrs. Song patted her back while she hugged her tight. After all, Euna’s little family turned out to be one of those who made their last time in Korea a bit more memorable, especially for their little boy. When she broke away from Joohyun, she stooped low to plant a small kiss on Euna’s forehead, “I will see to it that your oppa calls you a lot. And I hope you will always remember him, okay?”

 

“I will,” Euna gave her oppa’s mommy a toothy smile and wrapped her arms on her shoulders for a quick hug.

 

Since their flight was at midnight, Joohyun just drove to the Song’s home as a way of ‘seeing them off’ and it was them who had to go after that short farewell. Euna gave a cap to Daehan and he gave her a star keychain that she clutched tightly in her hands for the rest of the day. The little girl’s silence as they drove to the park was causing her to worry some more but she didn’t start any conversation with her. Despite her age, Joohyun wanted to respect the silence that Euna seemed to want to have.

 

Before long, she managed to set up a decent picnic at the park to somehow console her little girl. She couldn’t give her more since she needed to be back at the gallery as soon as possible. As Euna recounted her day at kinder and how she did well on her piano class, it amazed Joohyun some more that she was not sulky at all. Although she still had that somewhat faraway look, Euna looked as normal as the ordinary days.

 

“Do you think he will come back?”

 

Joohyun was gathering the empty paper plates when Euna suddenly asked and when she turned to the little girl, she noticed that uncertainty in her expression. She wanted so much to affirm that but sometimes things don’t happen the way they’re expected to. Shoving her own pessimism side, she tucked some strands of hair behind her ear while she spoke cautiously, “You know, Euna, sometimes things don’t happen the way we want them to…”

 

“What does it mean?” Euna tilted her head to the side like a curious little puppy, “He isn’t coming back?”

 

So much to setting aside her pessimism, she scolded herself. Joohyun smiled wider, “No, of course not… their grandparents and uncles and aunts and cousins are still here, right? So they will come back for sure!”

 

“And Euna too is here!” The little girl added with renewed hope.

 

“That’s right! Euna is here,” she smiled and pulled her baby closer, “I know you are sad now but things will get better. Whatever happens we can make sad things better.”

 

“How?”

 

That was a bit hard to answer and Joohyun somewhat regretted saying that, “Hmmm… maybe just live every day? Just hope and pray that everything will get better.”

 

Euna let out a deep sigh for she didn’t really understand what her umma was trying to say. She shrugged, “I don’t know but I’m just sad not to see him every day and play with him.”

 

“Oh baby…” she offered another smile, “I’m sure Daehan Oppa is sad too not seeing you…”

 

“Please don’t say his name?” She said with a small pout, “I get sad some more…”

 

Joohyun didn’t want to but she couldn’t stop herself from laughing, “All right, little lady…” With that, she continued tidying up the little corner they were occupying. She would throw glances at the little girl who was staring rather emptily at the wide grassland in front of them.

 

“You will not leave me okay?”

 

The plastic fork almost slipped from her grip as she turned to see Euna looking at her with those trusting eyes. She managed a small smile since she could not show the effect of that question, especially the way she was holding her gaze, was creating inside her heart. The intensity of that gaze penetrated inside her soul but her reply was the most honest she could ever give, “Who said I’m going to leave you, silly? I won’t leave you…”

 

“Okay, good,” Euna finally smiled.

 

She pinched her eyes tight the moment she turned away. Joohyun was going to keep that promise but in a very different circumstance. Then she remembered the looming trip she was about to take and despite the bad timing, she needed to set Euna’s mind to it. “But, Euna, this weekend I’m going to Shanghai…”

 

“Shanghai? Where’s that? Is that far?”

 

“It’s in China, honey,” Joohyun the little girl’s hair hoping to keep her at ease, “It’s pretty far but since I’m taking an airplane then it isn’t that far.”

 

“So you can come back, like, really fast?”

 

“Yes, but Euna, I need to be gone for a few days since I need to talk to a very important person who could help us get more money for the gallery.”

 

Euna looked thoughtful for a moment then spoke almost to herself, “Halmeoni said

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter