Finding Hearts

The Princess And The Pea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 57. Finding Hearts

 

The ride was awfully dead silent with only the clearer sound of the engine and his maneuvering of the car played in the air; Yonghwa didn’t even bother to open the stereo. They were almost halfway when the road became clearer and wider but the rain showed no sign of stopping.

 

“Someone told me about Euna’s letter… I’m sorry.”

 

Her voice came in a surprise as he looked at her for a moment but her attention was still fixed ahead. “Let’s not talk about it.”

 

“I waited for you yesterday,” Joohyun spoke again in a small voice, “You said you’d return.”

 

It was only then that Yonghwa felt her staring at him but he didn’t look anymore but focused his attention on that stormy highway ahead. He struggled with himself if he should tell her, but then, “I was there.”

 

Her heart skipped a bit, “But… why?”

 

Yonghwa understood the words she didn’t need to ask. He sighed telling her the truth, “He was there too.”

 

Joohyun bit her tongue when she realized who he meant. It was Changmin again. She had that feeling that they didn’t like each other and she knew he was jealous. It was her fault too but she just didn’t want to tell him anything yet.

 

“Is he the reason why you decided to stay away from me?”

 

“What?” It was there again— his accusations. Why did she feel like he was putting the blame on her? It was clear that he was suggesting that she was unfaithful and it irked her to think that he didn’t trust her enough. Joohyun looked away, “I can’t believe you sometimes…”

 

“What? I’m just asking,” his jaws clenched along with his hands on the wheels. The memory of that day didn’t disappear despite the fact that Euna was consuming his mind.

 

This wasn’t a good idea after all— being here with him. She should have taken her own car and looked for Euna by herself. Her heart was starting to beat so loud because he just did what she hated most. All her life most people thought how privileged she was, that the silver spoon in was enough for them to assume that they knew everything about her. They didn't know what she went through when her mother died, how she struggled after that. Those people didn’t even care knowing who she really was and yet they judged her as spoiled and snotty.

 

She hated that and the moment she got out of Korea, she felt like a normal human being.

 

And here she was receiving another assumption— from the man she had given her heart to. The thoughts even made her madder that she turned to him, “Do you really know how I feel? How could you even think like this?!”

 

“Joohyun…” Yonghwa heaved a sigh and continued, “I am—“

 

“You are accusing me of something you don’t have any idea of and this isn’t the first time!” She pointed out reproachfully.

 

“I am not accusing you of anything! And don’t raise your voice at me!”

 

“Then why are you raising your voice at me?!”

 

“Because I am trying to make a point—“ he hit the wheels hard with his fist, “Aish! Because it was you who started to yell!”

 

“That’s it!” She looked ahead with a clenched fist, “Stop the car.”

 

“I can’t stop the car, we are in the middle of this bridge, for goodness’ sake!”

 

“I said stop the car!”

 

Yonghwa took a deep breath before speaking softly yet with a hint of a warning, “Seo Joohyun…”

 

“What, Jung Yonghwa?!” Joohyun yelled back.

 

He shook his head and replied calmly, “Fine, I will stop the car when we reach that junction, okay?”

 

She didn’t need to answer that as she looked out of the window. The ride went silent for a few minutes until Joohyun realized it, “Why aren’t you stopping?”

 

Yonghwa thought she had forgotten about it and so he just stalled. They didn’t need to do this— not this time. He understood that this whole situation was as difficult for her as it was for him and maybe if they could settle this in a more mature way then it would be better. Hence, he spoke gently, “You don’t need to do this. It's not raining much in this area but soon it will. At this rate you can’t find a ride back and you know I can’t afford to turn around.”

 

“I said, stop the car,” she replied stubbornly.

 

“Joohyun-ah…”

 

“Stop this damn car! Or I’m going to jump off!” She snapped.

 

“Fine…” he softly whispered to avoid getting into more argument with her. Yonghwa pulled over at the side of the road.

 

She pushed the door open and hastily got out. She was so mad she knew she was not thinking with a clear head but she didn’t really care. As she stepped out of the car, she didn’t realize how wet the pavements were and it was too late to reach out for the car’s door as she came slipping down on the sidewalk. The pain on her ankle rushed through her system when she tried to move and before she knew it, Yonghwa was carrying her back into the car.

 

She whimpered in pain but her hands were on her face not because of it but by how embarrassing this situation was. Yonghwa dropped her on the passenger seat again and fixed her seatbelt.

 

“Does it hurt a lot?” He asked as he gently checked her ankle but she didn’t answer and was still avoiding his gaze so he just continued, “There must be a hospital or clinic nearby.”

 

He was not surprised at all since this wasn’t the first time he was dealing with this kind of accident. Yonghwa was trained for this. In fact, he had seen the worst—from cuts to broken bones, especially twisted ankles. 

 

That’s what you get for being stubborn.

 

He wouldn’t say that out loud of course.

 

“Why are you smiling like that?”

 

That made him want to stop smiling and start laughing but he shrugged because he still wanted to g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter