Request

The Princess And The Pea
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter 20.  Request

 

She pouted at the resigned expression of her father. They have been discussing about that matter for almost half an hour but he was still disillusioned, “Appa, I just want everything to be normal. I mean, this is what umma would want too.”

 

“Joohyunyah, why can’t you just leave things as they are?” The issue was making his chest hurt but he could not say that to her since she will just worry about him again.

 

“But—“ Joohyun sighed and nodded listlessly, “Fine… you are both very very stubborn.

 

Chairman Seo watched his daughter’s disappointed expression. For so many years, he tried to fix his past mistakes but it only made things worse so he resigned to just going with the flow. But it was Joohyun who was suffering. He sighed pretending that he wasn’t affected by her reaction; clearing his throat, he tried to shift the course of the discussion, “I heard that you are getting along with Yonghwa well now…”

 

“Yeah, it appears that he isn’t bad after all…” she absentmindedly replied as she was focused on the food on her plate.

 

He noticed the different kind of smile she was suddenly wearing. Wiping the sides of his mouth, he added casually, “That was what I have been telling you all along.” The old man looked directly at his daughter, when he continued, “Joohyunyah, I’m getting older.”

 

“It shows, Appa,” she batted her lashes then laughed softly when he scowled at her.

 

“I am not joking with you,” he shook his head since he ended up laughing as well but he knew what he would say next would definitely make his daughter stop laughing. With a serious tone, he spoke, “That’s why you need to get married. Someone who could help you and most especially to take over the company.”

 

“There you go again,” Joohyun rolled her eyes. After all, it was not the first time her father mentioned that. It seemed that it’s a constant subject for them these days. “Who is it this time? Some heir of such and such company who studied in some country and finished this and that. Aigoo, Appa… I’ve heard so much about that already…”

 

“This time it’s Yong—“

 

She dropped her fork suddenly and protested, “Oh no! I knew it—“ Joohyun raised a hand when he was about to speak, “No… stop, don’t even continue! Is this your big joke? Because if it is I’m not laughing…”

 

“No…” he shook his head with conviction, “I believe that he is the best person for the position.”

 

Joohyun stared at him deadpanned. She could not believe what she was hearing, “Appa, is it just the company you care about? How about me?” She found herself staring at the ceiling as if waiting for it to fall down on her then muttered under her breath, “Oh, great, Yonghwa…”

 

The old man wanted to laugh at her expression but he remained stiff showing how serious he was with the idea, “I know that he will be the best husband for you. I can see the way he is raising Euna well so I know—“

 

“So you know that he can raise me well, too? Appa, are you even listening to yourself? You sound like you’re giving me up for adoption!”

 

“Joohyunyah, don’t you raise your voice at me…” he managed to say flatly despite the urge to laugh. She looked so appalled. “Are you forgetting that I am your father, young lady?”

 

She shook her head managing to calm herself, “I’m sorry but please, Appa, don’t ever bring that up to him, it’s so embarrassing! Besides, he is married and—“

 

“He’s a widower,” he corrected her in amusement.

 

“That doesn’t change anything at all since he’s still in love with his dead wife for the past six years,” Joohyun emphasized without even blinking.

 

“Ahhh…” he nodded then surveyed her intently before asking, “But is there any probability that you might consider him for a husband?”

 

Joohyun looked at her father squarely, “Appa, did you put me there with him because of this?” Her mind was spinning and her heart was beating so hard that she wanted to run away. Shaking her head, she continued, “I don’t like this joke anymore. You’re making me want to quit…”

 

“Joohyunyah, putting you there has nothing to do with this decision. It just came to me one time when I saw the two of you talking in the café one afternoon. I just thought it might work.” He spoke gently when his daughter looked as if she had gotten over the initial shock of his declaration, “I admire that young man and I can see how faithful and hardworking he is. I put my trust on him for these past few years and I’m thinking I can trust him to take care of you. But if you don’t like the idea—“

 

“Yeah, I don’t like that outrageous idea…” she shook her head. Although what her appa said gave her a bit of a reason to think about it, it was still a bad bad idea. Why does it seem like this Yonghwa-thing is haunting her? First, Euna and now her Dad. ‘Oh, no, not to mention Taeyeon Unnie!’ She complained to herself.

 

“If you don’t like it, its fine by me so don’t think much about it anymore. Let’s not talk about him then...” he sighed but pointed a finger at her, “But I’m serious; I want you to find someone as soon as possible.”

 

She settled on her seat, “Seriously, Appa! As if it’s the only way you could have your coveted retirement. Don’t worry, I’m still working on my Plan A so don’t dwell on Plan B first.”

 

~~~

 

Yonghwa massaged his temple and give out a loud yawn. Glancing at the clock on his desk, he decided to hit the sack since it was past midnight. He was about to turn off his lamp when he heard a soft giggle coming from the living room. With a groan, he decided to check on her and found the little girl playing with his tablet he left outside, “Jung Euna… you’re supposed to be sleeping! What do you think you’re doing?”

 

It was obvious that she was startled by his sudden appearance but she looked up at him with her signature puppy eyes, “Hmmm… playing???”

 

“Do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter