Chapter 6

Hybrid Café

Kris stood in front of the pond with the big fountain in it and rubbed his hands to create some warmth. It had been getting quite cold lately and his breath formed little clouds in front of his face. There weren't too many people here, probably because it rained the whole morning until about 9 o'clock and it was so chilly. After the heavy clouds had released their load of raindrops the sun had been persistently trying to push through the high fog and cotton like clouds and now and then it peeked through the trees in the park and made the golden, red and yellow coloured leaves shimmer in the light, raindrops twinkling like little diamonds and soft shadows appearing before they vanished again. It was a beautiful sight and Kris made a mental note to himself to visit the park again soon and bring his paint, brushes and a canvas to try and capture the picturesque scenery. He turned around to look at the big, old clock standing in the centerpoint of the park.

"5 to 10...", he sighed and started bending his knees a bit while he turned up the collar of his coat and shoved his hands in the pockets a few seconds later to try and keep his fingers warm for a bit. 'I should have brought gloves.'

He started huffing in the air and watched the little cotton-candy-like clouds rise and disappear after a while, waiting for his date. He smiled at the thought and his heart skipped a beat. Kris started watching the ducks on the pond, softly paddling away and quacking now and then.

"Kris...? Hi!"

Kris felt his whole body tingle as he heard the soft voice calling for him and turned around to see Tao standing in front of him, a few feet away, smiling and looking absolutely gorgeous. He was wearing a black pair of laced boots and some black, washed out skinny jeans. His grey coat was open and a chocolate coloured pullover peeked through. A big red and grey checkered scarf was wrapped around his neck loosely and covered his mouth. His ears were standing up straight and a few dewdrops were visible in his hair and on his fur. The black tail was curved around his body and the tip was at the height of his waist, making Tao look relaxed and content. Kris managed a smile without staring at the cute, fluffy looking hybrid.

"Hi Tao."

"I'm not late am I?", Tao asked, looking kinda worried.

"Nono, don't worry. Your exactly on time."

"Phew. That's good. I was worried I was late, you look kind of cold and I thought you had been waiting for me for a long time."

"Really? Well I was kind of early, but don't worry about it."

Tao nodded and smiled, his eyes forming cute little crescents and he sniffled a bit. Kris noticed his red cheeks and smiled at him as he moved his hand in a gesture to the path, making Tao move aside until Kris was next to him and they started roaming through the park.

"Did you think about where you wanna go?", Kris casually asked with a side glance to Tao until he continued to let his eyes wander around the park.

"Y-yeah... but..."

Tao stopped talking and as Kris looked at him, the younger averted his eyes to the ground and watched the wet leaves lying on the gravel walk. He looked kind of uncomfortable and Kris noticed a blush on his cheeks that propably wasn't because of the chilly weather. His heart tightened and he stopped walking. Kris reached out his hand and held on to Tao's arm softly. He turned him around and held him by his shoulder, the other looking at him with wide, questioning eyes.

"Listen, I want you to know something", he started and sighed as he saw Tao's face changing and looking like he expected Kris to say something horrible to him. "I want you to feel comfortable when we're together and I want you to tell me everything, even if you think it's embarrassing and you think I'm not gonna like what you say, okay? Because I won't. I want to know what you think because I'm interested and... I just want to know."

Tao blushed hard and looked kind of flustered. 'Perhaps that was a bit too much?' Kris' heart clenched at the thought of chasing Tao away with his honesty and the demand to tell him what was going on in his mind.

"I mean... you don't have to if you don't like it! I just want us to be comfortable together and I'd hate to think that your feeling akward with me", he whispered and stared at Tao intently, trying to show him that he meant what he had said. The hybrid chuckled and laid a comforting hand on Kris' forearm, squeezing it lightly and giving him a reassuring look.

"It's okay, don't worry about it. It's... just a bit new for me, the whole dating thing and everything. I- I'm not too familiar with it." He mumbled his last words and Kris opened his eyes in disbelief.

"What? Don't tell me... people don't ask you out all the time!?"

Tao looked at him surprised and started laughing out loud at Kris' comical, shocked expression.

"Hahahaha! You're hilarious! Of course not! What did you think?"

Kris leaned back a bit, hands still resting on the younger's shoulders and looked the boy over seriously. He rose a brow and his eyes twinkled.

"I mean... you're really cute and y and you're funny and your a cat... and your y. Wait, I already said that."

Tao giggled and hit Kris' chest playfully before hiding his face behind his hands. He peeked through his fingers and blinked at Kris, blushing a bit but smiling.

"You're embarrassing me... I'm not y..."

Kris scoffed. 'If he knew.' Tao took a step forward and lay his hands on Kris' shoulders gently for balance. He tiptoed a bit and whispered a quick 'thank you' before he pecked him on his cheek and hurriedly stepped back again before Kris could even react. The elder just stood there and stared at Tao, cheek tingling where the hybrid had kissed him and he almost slapped himself as he rose his right hand fast and pressed it to his cheek, mouth and eyes wide open. Tao giggled and blushed. He turned and started walking again without looking back at Kris, his hands tightly clutching his scarf. Kris blinked a few times before he felt a blush creep on his cheeks and his heart started racing. He groaned and turned his head to look at Tao, who was already a few meters further, slowly strolling along the road and looking at some trees and birds, the tail swaying around unhasty. 'This boy is driving me insane!'

"Are you coming?", Tao shouted, head turned slightly and Kris saw him grinning.

He quickly jogged the distance and as he was next to Tao he smiled at him and slung an arm around the younger's shoulders, pulling him next to him.

"So what do you wanna do?"

Tao smiled softly and tilted his head to look at Kris.

"I- How about we just walk around for a bit and look at some stuff on our way. We could go drink something in a café later."

Kris grinned at him. "You are so my style. That sounds perfect."