Chapter 5

Hybrid Café

Tao lay on his bed, chin resting on his folded fingers and his tail sticking in the air, swaying softly. He opened one eye and quickly shut it again as soon as it focused on the folded piece of paper in front of him. He nuzzled his head into the mattress and wriggled his in embarrassement, remembering the moment when Kris gave him the paper and his stupid reaction. He could've said something cool like 'Sure sugar, why not.' or 'I'll think about it' or 'Yeah.'
'No wait, that wasn't cool!' He frowned and shook his head. He cursed himself out for about the thousandth time this day, thinking about how he had just been standing there like the complete idiot he was and gaped at Kris' back as he cooly walked away and left him in a complete mess. He shuddered as he remembered dropping to his knees as soon as the door had closed behind Kris and panting hard because he had held his breath, cheeks burning like fire and not able to control his stupid tail. At the thought of that he lifted his head and turned it to look at his tail and give it a murderous glare before returning to watch the paper carefully, as if it could jump him any time. He hadn't opened it once since yesterday, when Kris gave it to him and told him to call him. He had been to embarrassed to even open the paper, let alone call Kris until now. Thinking about calling Kris he shuddered and shook his head violently. 'No way. Not happening! I'm too young to die.' But he had to open the paper one day...

'Perhaps Kris left a message!' After thinking that over, his curiosity grew with every second and he took the paper in his hand. He sat up on the bed and crossed his legs in front of him. He rose his hands and held the paper right before his eyes, trying to see if there was anything written there. His shoulders slumped as he realised that he had to open the paper to find out what was written on it. 'Of course you have to open it you idiot-cat.' He sighed and turned the paper between his fingers a few times. His nose twitched slightly as it caught the slightest of a smell that was very familiar to him, coming from the paper. 'Kris...' He closed his eyes and held the paper against his nose, inhaling deeply before he smiled. A mixture of paint, a warm autumn rain and a musky, manly kind of scent that was just Kris filled his nose.He sighed and let himself fall backwards on the bed and curl into a ball, neatly placing the tail around him. He encouraged himself in his mind for about three minutes, telling himself that it was just a piece of paper and he could do it. His fingertips fumbled with the right corner of the paper and with a deep breath he opened the letter.

 

00478*****

I'd love to go out on a date with you so...
Call me!

-Kris x

 

Tao squealed and turned to his back, legs kicking the air violently his fingers clutched onto the small note and he pressed it against his face. He felt his cheeks turn red again and as he read the note a second time he squealed again. He repeated the whole process about five times until he had calmed down enough to sit back up again and stare at the note. 'He- he wrote a 'x'!!' Tao couldn't hold back his smile and his tail was sticking straight in the air like a stick again, ears twitching three times before he buried his face in the navy blue pillow lying in front of him and wriggled around. After about five more minutes of staring at the note and more squealing and wriggling he finally calmed down and read the note a last time. 'He wants to go out on a date...' Tao blushed at the thought of him and Kris on a date and blinked a few times. 'A date...' He giggled and wriggled his again for a little bit. He felt excited and happy and somehow his heart was beating fast and loud and he couldn't help grinning and blushing. He grabbed his phone from the bedside table and held it in his lap, the phone in his right hand and the note in his left. He furrowed his brows and started chewing on his lips, unsure what to do. 'I can't call him! That's too embarrassing... I don't think I'd survive that.' He thought about the problem hard, when it suddendly hit him. 'I could text him!!' Proud about his ingenious idea he unlocked his phone and opened the contacts to save Kris' number. After thinking a while he nodded his head and tiped in 'Kris <3' before he saved it and opened the message app.

 

To: Kris <3
From: Tao

Hi Kris it's Tao. I, uhh, I read your note and... I'd like to accept that offer of a date... (´๑•_•๑)

 

Tao reread the message a few times and took a deep breath before pressing send. He carefully placed the note in the drawer of the bedside table, on top of his little agenda, and smiled as he closed the drawer again. Suddendly his phone started vibrating. He furrowed his brows, wondering who would call him and grabbed his phone.

He shrieked and jumped up, nearly dropping the phone while holding it as far away from himself as possible while his wide eyes looked at the diplay, face and mind in complete shock.
 

Incoming Call

    Kris<3
 

"Why is he calling me!!??", he screamed as his phone continued vibrating. He quickly sat down on the edge of the bed and with trembling fingers he slid the accept button to the side and pressed the speaker phone button.

 

"Hi uhh...Tao?"

 

Tao barely held back a shriek and bit his lip hard. 'It's KRIS! Why is he calling me???'

 

"Hello?"

"Y-Yeah sorry! Hello?"

"Tao?"

"Yes...?"

"Haha hey... how are you?"

"I- I'm fine and you?"

"I'm great."

 

Tao tried to calm down and took a few deep breaths. He heard a rustling sound through the phone and waited for Kris to say something.

 

"Did you read the note?"

"Uhh.. yeah..."

"I told you to call me."

 

The hybrid wrapped his tail around his waist and blushed.

 

"Uhh.. yeah, I know."

"Why did you text me?"

"..."

"Tao?"

"...embarrassed..."

"What was that?"

"I was too embarrassed!"

"Hahahaha! That's so like you!"

"..."

"Don't be... I'd like to hear your voice."

"Th- thanks... M- Me too."

"Really? Hehe I'm glad."

"Heh.."

"So, about that note... you'd accept?"

"Y- yeah, I- I guess..."

"That's great! Is Sunday okay? I'm kinda busy tomorrow because I have to go and meet an art dealer about some of my stuff...

"Ah, yes of course! That's great."

"Is there anywhere you wanna go?"

"Uhh... I can't think of anything right now..."

"That's fine we can both think about it until we meet."

"Yeah, good idea."

"10 o'clock?"

"10 o'clock is lovely."

"Great. Meet me at the big fountain in the park, I'll be there at 10."

"O-okay."

"Well then I'll see you in two days. I'm looking forward to it."

"Yeah! M- me too."

"Well then... I'll hang up."

"Yeah. Uhh.. B- bye Kris."

"Bye Tao. Good night!"

*Beep, Beep, Beep*

 

'Oh my god!' Tao threw the phone and himself on the mattress and started squealing and wriggling again, blushing hard and feeling all warm and giddy, butterflies in his stomach and mind in a haze. He grabbed the pillow and hugged it tightly, curling into a ball. He nuzzled his face into the pillow and thought back to the phone call.

"I'm going on a date with Kris..."