Chapter 30

Hybrid Café

Tao opened his eyes slowly and hissed as a sharp pain shook his entire body. He surpressed a scream as another wave of pain rolled through him, it felt like his bones were broken apart and his muscles lengthened and tightened until it felt like they would rip into pieces. His skin prickled uncomfortably and he shot up as he heard a muffled scream that went through mark and bone. 'Kris!' An excrutiating pain flooded his mind and almost knocked him out again. 'Kris...' Trying to shove the pain away he started building up a mental wall and forced the pain behind it. His head slowly cleared but in the back of it he still felt a hard pounding, coming through the mental wall dully. He jumped up as quickly as he could and next to the pain in his head his legs nearly gave way as his rear side made him shriek in pain. He ran out of the bedroom, led by another agonizing scream. He found Kris lying on the floor in front of the bathroom, groaning and crying out of pain and curled into a ball, muscles spasming and his whole body shaking violently. Tears were streaming down the man's cheeks and his eyees were squeezed together tightly, brows furrowed in pain and fingers gripping into his own arms, looking for something to hold on to. The next wave of pain caught both of them off guard and Tao fell to his knees, clutching his head with his hands and surpressing a shout. Kris released another pained cry and Tao's eyes widened as he lifted his head at the sound. The man in front of him seemed to shift between two different forms. Right a second ago Kris had been lying on the floor in front of his eyes and now there was a about seven meters long, black and fiery red colored animal twisting and churning in pain. He heard an animalistic cry and the being opened it's mouth wide. Tao's eyes met with a pair of razor-sharp, spiky teeth and a lizards tongue. Before he could even register everything the being in front of him seemed to flicker, like a broken tv screen, and through the colours and the picture Tao saw the shadow of Kris' form, outstretched like the animal had been before. Completely overwhelmed he fell back on his , eyes and mouth open wide as the animal seemed to be pulled back into Kris and disappeared. Carefully he shuffled closer to the man lying on the floor, the elder's eyes squeezed together tightly and bleeding from various, self-incuced wounds he had probably made while he was clutching onto himself in pain. The elder trembled and Tao heard a choked sob before he scrambled away from the man again, fast as lightening as Kris opened the ball his body had automaticall formed again and arched his back, head thrown back and eyes wide open. Tao almost screamed in shock as Kris looked directly at him and the usually so soft, dark brow iris vanished and turned completely red. It was like the red colour pushed the brown away before it covered it and Kris morphed back into the animal, his mouth wide open in a horrid scream. This time the animal stayed for about fiteen seconds, hissing and crying out loud, the sound making Tao cover his ears with his hands. Once again the image of the animal being seemed to flicker a few times before it vanished and Kris was lying on the floor again. 'OHMYINWHAT!!!!???' Tao scrambled away from Kris and tried to form another wall in his mind to protect himself from the pain beaming from Kris in big waves. Before he could continue his thought about how long this had been going on for and how long he had been laying on the bed, passed out, Kris groaned and gripped his own arm so hard, digging his fingernails into it so violently Tao could see blood starting to ooze out between his fingers. Within a second he forced himself to completely clear his mind before he freaked out and searched his brain, desperatly trying to find a solution. 'If I don't do anything Kris is either going to kill himself, both of us or go insane from the pain! What do I do!? I- I have to do... of course!' He shot up and scrambled towards the kitchen. Without another thought he pulled out a frying pan from a drawer underneath the stove and hurried back to Kris. The sole thought of having to knock Kris out made him hesitate. It was the only way to stop the shapeshifting, unconcious it didn't work and Kris couldn't control it at the moment. 'He'll die!' A deep, loud growl reverberated through the apartment and made Tao stop in his tracks. Right before him in the living room lay a struggling animal, seven meters long and covered in red and black scales and baring his teeth at the hybrid before it shot forward a few feet and snapped at Tao's leg, only missing it by a few inches. With a terrified shriek Tao ran back into the kitchen and cowered into a corner. His ears were pressed flat to his head and the tail tightly tucked between his legs. His heart was racing like mad and he held his breath, trying to make as little to no sounds at all. Shivering and horrified, completely scared he cowered in the corner and waited. Although he was scared to death he immediately leaped onto his feet as he heard Kris hiss and groan painfully. 'It's gone!' Without any hesitation he ran into the livingroom and smacked Kris on the head with the frying pan.

Suddendly everything was quiet. Kris lay on the floor, limp, bleeding from various wounds and covered in sweat and tears. Only the sound of shallow breathing and Tao's racing heartbeat could be heard. In a state of shock and almost passing out from the blow on Kris' head that had projected onto Tao he let the handle of the  frying pan slip through his fingers. The particularly loud sound of the pan crashing onto the wooden floor snapped him out of his trance and he blinked a few times before he completely realised what had just happened.

"Oh my god..."