Chapter 3

Hybrid Café

"Tao~ Your y admirer just ordered a coffee, do you want to bring it?"

Tao blushed as he was about to bite off a piece of the bread he was eating in the breakroom. He quickly stood up from the chair and shot around to give Luhan a warning glare.

"Shut up hyung! He- he's not my admirer!"

Luhan snickered as he saw the man's flustered expression and deep red face. 'So cute!'

"Then... you're his admirer!"

Tao shrieked and quickly pushed past the cute, girly looking deer hybrid who had some stunningly huge eyes and appeared behind the barista bar.

"Xiumin hyung! Tell your boyfriend to shut up!"

He pointed an accusing finger in Luhan's direction and glared at the man when he heard him giggle. Xiumin turned away from one of the coffee machines and crossed his arms, raising a brow cockily.

"And why should I?"

Tao felt the urge to scream as he saw the twitching corners of his hyung's mouth. He felt like every single employee in the café made it the point of their life to tease the out of him every time Kris came for a visit, which happened quite often actually. 'He is almost- no he is a regular now...' He turned his head and let his eyes scan the café, looking for the blonde head of hair he had grown so familiar with lately. Kris had been coming regularly since that day Jongdae had introduced the dashingly handsome man to Tao and somehow it had always happened that Tao brought him his order. They had started talking quite a lot and Tao had found out that Kris worked as a bank employee part time and as a freelance artist on other days, selling his artwork mostly to China and Europe. The man had told him about himself and asked Tao a lot too, sometimes even flirting with Tao, very clearly showing his interest in the hybrid. He once even asked Tao for his phone number but the hybrid was so flustered and embarrassed he had just mumbled some incoherent words and fled, leaving a slightly disappointed and blushing Kris behind. Tao felt himself go red again as he spotted Kris, waving at him and smiling from a table next to the windows on the right side. He quickly turned and fled back into the breakroom, away from the man's tall figure and handsome face. He let himself fall onto the chair he had been sitting on before and hid his burning face in his arms, twisting his tail around his head to hide his eyes. 'So embarrassing!' His heart was beating like he had just run a marathon and his ears were twitching madly. Luhan looked at Tao while leaning on the door frame, amused by the other's reaction and the obvious embarrassement.

"Is that a no?"

Tao stopped wriggling around on his chair and his head shot up abruptly. His eyes wide and ears pressed down to his head he shook his head hard. He knew exactly that Luhan would force him to bring the coffee if he said he didn't want to bring it. And who was he kidding? He wanted to do it anyway.

"Then hurry up you idiot cat! The coffee's gonna get cold."

Tao hurried after the deer as he turned and left, to return to his work behind the counter. He grabbed an apron and tied it around his waist, making sure the knot formed a bow right above the base of his tail and took the Cappuccino standing next to the cash register. He noticed a plate with a piece of warm chocolate fudge cake next to it and shot a glance in Xiumin's direction. The other just so happened to be looking at him with an amused expression and nodded at the younger's inquiring look.

"That one too", he mouthed and pointed in Kris' direction with his chin.

Tao nodded and pulled out a tray from underneath the worktop and placed the hot coffee an the steaming cake on top of it before he shuffled past a grinning and giggling Luhan and Xiumin, ignoring their teasing and moved around the couter. He walked past some other customers, not many though because it was a Wednesday afternoon and smiled politely, moving towards the table Kris was sitting at. The man looked up from his phone and smiled as he saw Tao, letting the phone slip back into the pocket of his coat. The hybrid felt his heart skip a beat and he had to control himself from running away again. 'Why am I so embarrassed every time I see him!?'

"Your coffee and the cake", he said as he placed the plate with the cake in front of Kris and the coffee next to it, having to lean forward a bit. Kris leaned towards Tao and the man had to hold back a squeal as the elder looked at him intensly.

"That looks delicious...", Kris mumbled while his lips quickly and Tao felt a blush creep on his cheeks. He wasn't sure how to react, as Kris had never looked at the cake but kept staring into Tao's eyes before slowly leaning back again and smiling. 'Tha-that's so suggestive!' He screamed inside and felt the urge to run away any minute now but he couldn't move an inch. He felt like he was pinned in place by Kris' gaze slowly travelling from his eyes to his lips and staying there before he broke the contact and picked up the fork lying next to the cake.

"Y-yeah... please enjoy."

Tao mentally slapped himself for his insecure voice and the stutter. 'Could I be any more obvious!?'

"If you'd like anything else please don't hesitate to call", Tao said stiffly and picked the tray back up.

"...", Kris mumbled and Tao's ears twitched. 'Did he just-?'

"Your phone number..."

"What did you say?"

Kris smiled and placed the fork back on the plate after tasting the cake.

"Delicious."

Tao nodded slowly and smiled. He was just about to turn as he felt something warm and soft brush against his tail and caress it and he gasped, quickly turning around and curling the tail around his leg, squeezing it tightly. Kris jumped back at the sudden reaction an quickly pulled back his hand, a slight blush on his cheek.

"I am so sorry Tao", he said, brows furrowed and looking a bit flustered, "I don't know why I did that!"

Tao's ears were flat on his head and he held the tray in front of him like a shield, clutching it so tightly, his knuckles were white.

"Why did you-", Tao started but quickly stopped again, eyeing Kris carefully he started chewing on his bottom lip nervously and Kris' eyes twitched downwards, noticing the movement. He lifted his hands in front of him in an apology and as Tao looked in his eyes he saw that Kris seemed to be a bit shocked himself, and very uncomfortable.

"I am so, so sorry. I just- it was just swaying back and forth and-", he stuttered and Tao couldn't help but grin a little bit at the other's flustered face, "I wanted to touch it..."

Tao slowly unwrapped his tail and lifted it in front of him. He gently held it in his hands and moved forward, the tip twitching a little bit. He had no idea why he did it, but Tao took Kris' hand and placed it in his, the tail inbetween. He felt like he was dying, his heart beating so fast he was afraid the man would hear it, but he continued. Kris shot Tao an unsure glance, not sure how to react.

"It's okay... you- you can touch it. If you want to...", Tao mumbled, cheeks blushed and eyes averting Kris' gaze.