Chapter 31

Hybrid Café

The first thing Kris heard was calm, deep breathing like someone was sleeping. It sounded so comforting and relaxing... it made him want to go back to sleep. Then he started hearing everything else. And literally everything else. Footsteps from far away and near, voices, clear like a spring, birds chirping, the rustling of sheets, clicking of computer keyboards, the sound paper made when it was folded and pushed into an envelope... he heard it all. Some things better and some less, but all like it happened close to him. 'Why do I hear everything? Where am I?' He strained himself to open his eyes but his eyelids felt so heavy. He was tired, he wanted to go back to sleep. He gave up on trying to open his eyes and smiled ever so slightly as he heard a yawn and the sound of someone groaning. 'Tao...', he thought before he let the darkness embrace him again.

 

---

 

"I'm so worried..."

"Don't worry about it love. The doctor said it'll take some time until he wakes up. He'll be fine."

*sigh* "You're probably right..."

"Oh Tao, don't worry yourself too much. You reacted exceptionally! Without you he could have died. But he's fine, he just needs a lot of rest, he needs to heal. You know how it felt through the bond but it must have been i don't even know how many times worse for him, the bond only projected a fraction of the pain on you. You said he was shapeshifting, you know it's horrid. The pain normally just lasts for a few seconds but he was morphing back and forth, we can only imagine how excruciating the pain must have been. It's actually incredible that he didn't pass out by himself... he must be an extremely powerful shapeshifter..."

"Y-You're right... oh my god!" *sniff*

"Tao, don't cry! He'll be fine!"

"Are you sure? I... I love him so much Kai. I- I never loved anyone like that and we only- we- I don't want to loose him Kai! I wouldn't survive it..." *sob*

"There, there. I told you he'll be fine. His wounds are all healed already, the animal looked after that. He just has to rest his mind, his inner self. He'll be fine in no time and I'm sure he'll be even better if you stop crying and finally eat something. Do you want him to wake up and find out you died and not him because you starved?"

"I'm not hungry..."

"I don't care. *slam* Eat it."

 

---

 

"Hi there!"

"Chen hyung! Lay hyung!"

"How are you? Did you eat and drink enough? Not like last time!"

"Yes Lay hyung... I'll eat everything from now on. Your food is too delicious to waste anyways."

*giggle* "You're right."

"..."

"Come here sweetie."

*sniffle* "Hyuuung..."

"Such a crybaby. He'll be fine."

"I- i know. I just can't help it. I'm so worried..."

"It's only been four days. The doctor said it could take a week or two, you'll just have to be patient. He needs his time to heal, the inside is just so much more sensitive. But at least his other wounds are all fine."

"Yeah..."

"That's a nice mark you gave him there by the way!"

*gasp* "Sh- Shut up Chen hyung!"

*chuckle* "See, he'll be fine! He's got you now."

"... Y- Yeah..."

 

---

 

Tao yawned and sent a longing look into Kris' direction. The bed looked so comfortable and he was so tired... He stood up and went to the bathroom attached to the hospital bedroom. In front of the mirror he pulled a face as he saw how deep his dark circles and how red his eyes were. His hair was a mess, his face was a mess... he was a mess. He undressed himself quickly and surpressed another yawn as he jumped under the shower. Sighing he bowed his head as the warm water massaged his shoulders and his stiff neck. He had been basically living with Kris in the small room in the hospital for six days. He didn't know if he could take it much longer to be honest. He felt so tired, so worn out. Everyday he spent hours staring at Kris' face, waiting for him to open his eyes and finally look at him again. But nothing had happened until now, the man just lay there, his face a stoic mask and skin pale. Although he looked a lot better than he had a few days ago and all his wound had healed Tao couldn't stop worrying. It drove him insane not to know how Kris was feeling, if he was alright, when he was going to wake up. After the second day he had started sleeping in Kris' hospital bed with the elder man. Although the room was rather small, Kris had recieved a unusually big bed and there was plenty of space for Tao to snuggle up to the elder and sleep next to him. He neded to feel the elder's warm body next to his and hear the soft, constant breathing. He didn't sleep well though. He woke up automatically almost every hour and half panicking, half hopeful checked if Kris was still breathing or if the man had finally woken up. The hybrid turned the shower off and stepped out of the cubicle, grabbing a towel and drying himself off. He wasn't as tired as before now, the shower helping him to relax just a little bit and wash away some of the heavy feelings and wake him up a bit. Quickly he dressed himself in a pair of black boxers, grey sweatpants and one of Kris' big shirts. He wasn't even embarrassed anymore now. Suho, Kris' best friend had brought around some of the elder's clothes once and since then Tao wore the shirt he stole from the small bag. It smelled like Kris', was big, comfortable, comforting. He hurried out of the bathroom and turned off the light, immersing the room in darkness before his eyes slowly adjusted and he moved to the bed Kris was lying on. He watched the other's motionless face for a few seconds before he lifted the sheets and carefully lay next to the elder. He moved as close to the man as possible, pressing his body into Kris' side and resting his head on the other's shoulder. He slipped his hand down the man's arm and intertwined their fingers, holding onto Kris' hand softly but determined.

"How did you sleep, love?"

He nuzzled his face into the elder's shoulder and took a deep breath. It smelled like Kris, a warm autumn rain and a manly, musky scent, something that was just Kris. He closed his eyes and mentally reached out to the elder. Just like every time before he couldn't find him and he sighed, sad and frustrated. It was like Kris lay behind a pitch black wall made of elastic rubber. Tao could push against it, bend it, move it but not brake it. He snuggled closer to Kris and felt tears well up. 'Not again...' He quickly started talking, trying to chase the sadness and heavy loneliness away.

"I- I talked to a really nice lady today when I went out to buy juice. She gave me some small change and told me I should buy some chocolate too... she was really sweet. Kai came again too. Did you hear what we talked about? He told me about Kyungsoo again. He really should finally make a move on him, don't you think so too? He'll never know if Kyungsoo likes him or not when he just jumpes around him like a lovesick puppy. Although he is a bit too ually frustrated to be lovesick... who knows, perhaps he'll snap one day and just kiss the man because he can't hold back anymore..."

Tao felt a tear roll down his cheek as he imagined Kris kissing him and he despreately tried to stop himself from crying even more. His voice trembled lightly and he squeezed Kris' hand, trying to anker himself on the silent man.

"I- I really miss you you know... I really miss your voice. And your smile... But most of all I miss your eyes t- they're really nice you know... I- I like them. I miss you so- so m-"

The hybrid's voice broke and he bit his lip, trying to hold back the soft sobs starting to build up in his throat, threatening to escape and turn him into a mess again. He took a deep, shaky breath and opend his eyes. With a forced smile he kissed Kris' full, warm lips gently before he sank back and closed his eyes again, shuffling closer to Kris and the comforting warmth his body was emenating.

"Good night Kris. I love you..."