Chapter 34

Hybrid Café

Kris felt weird, like really weird. His head was all fuzzy and he felt akward and somehow too... big. He lifted his head and suddendly he was looking into the window where Tao and another man he didn't know were standing, both with their eyes wide and mouthes hanging open. 'Why am I so high up?' He tried breathing out and surprised and a bit shocked he saw how a huge cloud of hot air formed in the cold air. 'What...?' Suddendly he felt so lost, he didn't know what to do. Tao was looking at him with a mixture of relief, shock and... fear. Unsure he took a step back and almost shrieked when a loud thud met his ears and the earth beneath him seemed to tremble. 'I'm heavy!?' With his eyes wide open he stepped further away from the open window to the hospital room. He shook his head and blinked a few times. 'This is just another dream, a really, really, really weird dream.' He opened his eyes again and moved his head a bit to the side. He froze immediately. 'What the !?' Unbelieving he looked at his reflection in one of the closed hospital windows. 'No...' He shook his head and took a scared step back. 'Nononono. This can't be. This isn't real.'

"Kris!"

He immediately threw his head around as the soft voice reached his ears and his eyes saw Tao standing in the grass before him. He was so tiny, so small, so fragile.

"Tao...?", he tried to ask but only a unsure growl left his mouth.

If he could have, he would have clasped his hands over his mouth. He was scared, scared to death. He had no idea what was going on and he was completely thrown off his balance. He had no idea where he was, why he was here and most importantly, what he was. 'I'm a monster...', shot through his head and he immediately buried the thought before he completely freaked out. Helplessly Kris fixed his eyes on the only familiar thing in his surroundings, Tao. He ankered himself on the hybrid with the cute ears and incredibly soft tail, the only thing that could keep him from freaking out. He wanted to ask him what was happening, where he was, why he was here, how he got here. 'What am I!?'

"Kris, don't freak out now, ok? It's gonna be fine!"

Tao lifted his hand and took another careful step towards the huge dragon towering over him. He would lie if he said he wasn't scared, he was scared... a bit. He mustered up all his courage and bravely took another step towards the animal. With his trained eyes he noticed how unbalanced the dragon, Kris, seemed. He was unsure and scared, not able to cope with the situation. He saw it in the way the big tail trashed from side to side hurriedly, like a chased animal and how his eyes shot around, desperately looking for an answer before they locked on him. He lay his hand on the big, red scales covering the dragon's stomach and barely held back a shriek when a loud, surprised and very scared sounding cry lef the dragon's mouth.

"Kris...", he tried to reach out to him mentally, desperately looking for a way to calm the man and the animal down.

Completely surprised he saw the black, elastic barrier between them vanish before his eyes in a single second and suddendly he was flooded with emotions that almost threw him off his feet. Confusion, unsureness, pain... fear. His heart clenched as the terrible fear rolled over him and he felt tears form in his eyes.

"Kris! It's okay!"

"T-Tao!?", he hard the shaky, choked voice in his head.

"Kris, Kris, it's okay, it's fine."

"Tao..."

The younger's heart ached painfully as he heard the helpless, lost whisper in his head, silently screaming for help. He stepped forward and leaned against the animal's stomach, trying to hug it but of course failing completely. He was way too big, he could might as well have hugged a wall, that's what it felt like.

"I- I'm scared... Tao. Tao, I'm so scared!"

The younger felt tears rolling down his face as the trembling voice shot through his head and another wave of fear made his heart clench and twist.

"Help me..."

He stepped back and surprised he almost shrieked as the dragon's huge head shot down and with a loud thud the dragon half fell, half lay on the ground and curled into a huge ball. A part of the long neck and the big head with the horns on top were the only things sticking out of the curled up figure, stretched out towards Tao. The man immediately ran the few steps towards the dragon's head and fell to his knees next to it. He leaned forward and without any hesitation or fear left he hugged the thinnest part of the dragons neck, right there where it connected to it's head. He intertwined his fingers together and made sure to stay right where he was. He pulled back to his mind slightly and tried sending out waves of warmth and comfort through their bond.

"Shh... it's fine, you don't have to be scared. Everything's all right."

Slowly but surely the dragon closed it's eyes and Tao felt the tension in it's muscles go away beneath his fingers. He continued whispering sweet, comforting words and scooted closer, hugging the animal tighter. It felt like hours until Kris relaxed completely and the fear projected onto Tao faded away slowly. The dragon gently lifted it's long neck a bit and lay it's heavy head over Tao's shoulder, sighing deeply and sending huffs of warm air down the younger's back.

"Tao..."

The hybrid squezzed the neck he was hugging hard before he let his arms hang around it in a gentle, soft manner. He nuzzled his face into the warm, colored scales and although they were a bit hard and dug into his face he stayed there and closed his eyes. The emotions suddendly overwhelmed him and he started crying quietly.

"I missed you so much Kris... so, so much. You were lying there all the time, you didn't open your eyes no matter how long I talked to you, you left me all alone! I was so worried, so scared you would leave me too...", he whispered.

His eyes closed and arms around the dragon's neck he felt the flesh move and shift but he didn't open his eyes. He stayed just like that and when a pair of strong, secure arms slung around him and pulled him closer he released a sob.

"I would never leave you alone Tao."