Chapter 21

Hybrid Café

Kris regretted the words immediately.

"What did you say?", Tao responded and shuffled to the far end of the couch, away from Kris.

The elder sighed and let his head fall down. He buried his face in his hands. 'Everything is going wrong, why am I always ruining everything!?' He ran the his fingers in his hair and gripped it hard in frustration until the pain on his scalp took his mind away from the aching stabbing in his chest.

"I-", he started but broke off, groaning in anger and frustration.

"What do you mean. Tell me!", Tao demanded, voice trembling with held back anger.

Kris internally screamed. He had to ask him, didn't he? He felt anger rise as he thought about the two people who were ruining their relationship without even doing anything. His hands fell to his sides and he stood up.

"What- what happened between you and your parents?"

His heart throbbed as he saw Tao's face turning cold and distant. As he spoke a shiver ran down Kris' spine at the icy tone of his voice.

"My parents have nothing to do with this."

"Yes they do Tao!", Kris shouted and he threw his hands in the air. "They have everything to do with this Tao, can't you see!?"

Tao watched the man carefully as he shouted the words and stared walking up and down on the upper side of the sofa, pulling at his hair and almost looking a bit hysterical. His fingers gripped the pillow in his lap until his knuckles were white and his fingertips burned. His heart felt icy cold. 'I've done it again... I've ruined everything. I'm the same as them.' He felt tears starting to pool in his eyes and anger rose. 'Stupid tears! Go away!' He hurriedly sniffled and rubbed his eyes to catch the salty liquid before it rolled down his cheeks. His whole body ached and all he wanted to do was curl into a ball and cry and scream. He forced himself to look back at Kris and his teary eyes widened as a devestated looking Kris met his eyes.

"Tao", he whispered, "oh god, I'm so sorry! Don't... please don't cry..."

He reached out with his hand but before he touched Tao's cheek he quickly pulled it back again like he burned himself, looking horrified and extremely worried at the same time. Tao's bottom lip quivered and he mentally screamed at himself to get a grip. He took a deep shaky breath and looked at Kris. He suddedly felt so tired, worn out.

"Let's not fight Kris. I- I can't do this. Not with you."

Kris helplessly watched as Tao buried his face in the cushion and his shoulders began to shake softly. His heart twisted and he felt like someone just punched him in the stomach. His vision blurry and mind dizzy, he felt sick. Kris knelt in front of the quietly crying hybrid and very slowly he laid his hands on the other's knees. The touch was so soft Tao almost didn't register it. He lifted his head, tears streaming down his face and cheeks stained with the salty liquid.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry", he repeated between sobs and gasps for air.

Kris looked at him, shocked at the words coming from the younger's lips and the pain in his eyes, ripping Kris' heart into pieces. He felt tears welling up and desperately tried to will them down.

"Tao, kitten", he said, voice and hands trembling as he let them rest on Tao's shoulders, "don't be sorry! It's my fault! It's all my fault! I- I'm so sorry kitten, I'm so sorry. Please, don't cry. Don't cry."

He rose his hands to Tao's face and wiped away the tears with the sleeve of his pullover. New tears started rolling down and Kris felt like he was torn into pieces. He couldn't handle it. He couldn't handle Tao crying because of him, it made him feel like the worst piece of ever and it made him want to disappear. His whole body was aching painfully and his heart throbbed with agony. Frantically he wiped the tears away again and again until Tao's cheeks were red from the rough fabric of the sleeve and stung. The younger caught Kris' hands in his and stopped them from moving. Kris froze and slowly he rose his head to look into Tao's swollen, wet eyes. He was a bit shocked as the younger rose a hand and wiped over his cheek with his soft fingertips.

"You're crying...", Tao whispered, voice rough and trembling. "Don't cry."

They stared into each other's eyes until the last drops fell down their faces and wetted their cheeks. Both of them felt worn out, like they had been forced through something terribly exhausting. Kris fell back on his and ran his hands in his hair again, clenching them into fists and let his head hang low.

"I- I'm sorry Tao. I didn't want to fight with you. I don't know why I was so terrible to you. I hurt you so much, I made you cry... I'm so terribly sorry Tao", he whispered so quietly Tao could hardly understand him.

Tao reached out to Kris with his hand and helplessly watched as Kris jerked away. He shot up so fast, he almost fell backwards and ran off. The elder rushed towards the hallway. 'Out. You have to go. All you do is hurt him and make him feel uncomfortable. Leave!' He took his shoes and slipped into them, not bothering to tie the shoelaces. He opened the door and fled. The only thing he heard before he ran past the elevator and down the stairs was a muffled scream of his name and a door crashing closed.