Chapter 20

Hybrid Café

Tao felt a twinge of pain as Kris evaded his touch and gulped down a painkiller. 'He had a headache and he was tired? Why did he invite me then? With me being here it just tires him out more doesn't it? And why do I feel like he didn't tell me everything?' His fist unconciously clenched and he felt confused and sad. 'Why can't he tell me what's wrong?'

"Do you have hot chocolate?", he asked, suddendly feeling the urge to drink something warm and sweet to drive away the cold feeling between the two of them.

Kris nodded and moved to the fridge. He took out an opened pack of milk and poured it in a cup which he placed in the microwave to heat up.

"I'll do it, you can wait in the living room if you want to..."

Tao nodded and stiffly left. He felt cold all of a sudden. Instead of sitting on the dark green leather sofa and grabbing one of the fluffy cushions to hug he walked past it and stopped in front of the window. His eyes travelled over the soft curves of the Han River and followed the cars driving through the roads. He saw people, looking like little figurines from up here and his heart felt heavy. He gently massaged his tail in an attempt to calm himself down and his fingers were shaking lightly. He froze and looked at the trembling hands. 'Why am I shaking?' He turned his head to look towards the kitchen. Kris was stirring in his cup of hot chocolate and through the doorway Tao saw him ruffling through his hair and sighing deeply. He looked sad and uncomfortable. Tao observed how Kris massaged his neck and the back of his head gently before he grabbed the glass and another painkiller. Tao's heart ached and he felt so stupid. 'It must hurt a lot... why did he invite me to come over and watch a movie?' He quickly turned back to the window as Kris looked like he would come to the living room.

"Here's you chocolate."

Tao turned around and gave Kris hesitant smile.

"Thanks", he whispered and accepted the warm cup Kris was holding out in front of himself.

As he took the cup out of Kris' hand their fingers brushed against each other lightly and Tao shivered. Kris quickly pulled his hand away and turned. Tao's heart clenched painfully as he observed how Kris balled his hand to a fist and opened it again to stretch the fingers, repeating the action a few times. Kris knelt in front of the TV, turned it on and took the remote control from the cabinet.

"What kind of movie do you wanna watch?", he asked and turned to smile at Tao.

He noticed a flash of something on Tao's face but he wasn't sure what it was. Pain?

"I- Anything's fine, except horror."

Kris grinned and nodded. He walked over to the couch and let himself fall on to it.

"Alright, come here", he said and patted on the free space next to him.

Tao bit his lip and slowly walked over to the sofa as Kris opened the movie's menu and zapped through it. Kris noticed how hesitant Tao was to sit down. He felt a bit hurt at the reaction. He scooted over to the end of the sofa to give Tao enough space and grabbed a cushion to hold in his lap. Tao sat down and started gnawing on his lip. Kris' eyes twitched down to observe the action until he felt his fingertips tingling with the desire to trace the man's red lips with them. He quickly sat up straight and mentally cursed. 'Stop it. He doesn't like it, so you won't do it. Don't even think about it.' His stomach twisted in a mix of pain and desire and he hugged the cushion hard.

"How about Dragon Blade? It's a Jackie Chan film and Choi Siwon has a role in it too."

Tao nodded.

"I've seen the trailer. I really wanted to see it in the cinema but I never did..."

Kris smiled at Tao but quickly turned to look at the TV again as the hybrid wriggled cutely.

"Th- then it's good I have it."

Tao hummed and shot a careful glance in Kris' direction. He looked really uncomfortable. His fingers were clenching the cushion so hard his knuckles were white and he looked a bit distressed.

"Are- are you sure you're okay?", Tao asked and raised a hand to lay on Kris' shoulder.

The elder abruptly turned his head and looked at Tao with a mixed expression. His eyes fixed on Tao's hand and the hybrid stopped immediately, the hand resting in the air for a few seconds before he pulled it back and hid it underneath his other hand. The hybrid observed how Kris' facial expression turned closed up and how he furrowed his brows.

"Tao, I said I'm fine. Don't worry."

Kris felt his heart twist at the lie. But he couldn't tell Tao how he really felt. He was scared, he admitted to himself. Scared he would make Tao turn away if he asked him such personal questions and invaded his privacy like that. He wanted Tao to stay by his side, stay with him and... fall in love with him.

"Why are you lying to me?"

Kris' eyes widened at the sharp question and the pissed off expression on Tao's face.

"I- Tao...", he whispered, "What is wrong?"

Tao's ears twitched angrily and the tail lashed from side to side furiously. He crossed his arms in front of himself and turned to face Kris completely.

"You're lying. I can smell it."

"You can smell- Of course you can smell it."

"Yes."

Kris ran through his hair with his fingers and sighed deeply. 'I'm screwed...'

"Tao, I just have a headache and I'm a bit tired, that's all to it."

Tao scoffed and looked angry now.

"Why can't you tell me the truth Kris? Why can't you talk to me? I want to know what's wrong, just tell me!"

Kris started geting angry too. Tao was pushing him in a corner and he felt a bit attacked. Kris always pulled back when Tao didn't like it but Tao was pushing him to tell him what was wrong and Kris really didn't want to. He wanted to wait a little bit longer until he asked Tao about his parents and about his problems.

"Tao", he growled, seriously angry now and ringing for self-control.

"Kris, why can' you trust me and tell me what's wrong!?"

Kris' jaw tightened and his shoulders tensed.

"What, like you trust me?"