Chapter 4

Black Sun

Chapter 4

I looked around everything was so grey and dark looking. Thick mist covered the entire area. “Where am I?” I asked myself. Then, as if to answer my question, the mist cleared somewhat and in front of me lay a body. Gulping, I walked over to the lifeless corpse and to my horror I realized, it was Youngmin. Choking back my tears, I held my blood stained brother and wondered, “Who could’ve done this?” I cradled my precious brother as I wept. As I wept, the mist around me began to clear a little more and slowly, more and more bodies were revealed before a voice spoke, “You…you killed them, murderer.” I shook my head. Laying my brother back down on the ground, I began to back away, “No, I couldn’t have done this.” “Oh, but you did.” The voice began to chuckle almost menacingly and then everything spirals, turning pitch black and after that…I wake up.

 


 

 

Kwangmin jolted out of his sleep with a harsh gasp. Quickly looking around, he took in his surroundings; he was at the lake the sun was beginning to rise giving a warm glow to his grey toned face. He turned to his side to see Youngmin sleeping soundly and peacefully. ‘At least you slept well.’ He thought to himself smiling. Kwangmin placed his hand onto his brother’s shoulder slowly shaking him. The older stirred awake, “Kwangmin? Ugh, let me sleep a little more please.”  He groaned turning to his other side and continued to sleep. Kwangmin smiled and got up, ‘I’ll let you sleep more, hyung. You can rest while I get breakfast.’  Kwangmin thought to himself. He noticed Youngmin’s fishing wire and hook lying neatly by the older boy’s bag. Carefully reaching for it, the younger took the fishing equipment and went to the edge of the lake. Tossing the fishing wire into the lake, Kwangmin sat down at the edge of the water and waited for breakfast to bite. It was then that he felt someone enter his consciousness, it was just like before, back home, something took over his body and stayed there until Youngmin stayed with him, then it went away. “Kill…” Kwangmin knew that voice, it was the same voice from the dream and it was the same voice that he heard in the fields when that strange man attacked the fields. “Who are you?” He demanded the voice in his head. “I know you want to go crazy, kill everything and everyone in sight, the darkness that sleeps within you is begging to be set free, so go on, and release it, Kwangmin!” Kwangmin shook his head he didn’t want to do this; he couldn’t loose control, not when his brother was trying so hard to help him. “No, go away, leave me alone, please….leave me alone!” Kwangmin begged and begged, but the darkness was slowly beginning to gain control, a dark aura was slowly staring to seep through his body. “Youngmin, hyung, h-help me…”

 


 

Youngmin awoke with a bad feeling in his gut; he was feeling as though Kwangmin needed him, like he needed help. He got and noticed his brother crouched at the rivers edge, fingers entangling through his hair, soft whimpers escaping the younger boy’s lips, as if he was fighting something or someone. Youngmin couldn’t grasp what was going on, but he needed to act fast. He ran up to Kwangmin and embraced him tightly, “Calm down, Kwangmin. Take it easy, relax. I’m here.” Kwangmin immediately felt the voice vanish and in its place a bright light was visible. The light was blinding, but warm, inviting, and pure. He reached for it and came back to sanity, calming himself; he looked over his shoulder to see Youngmin hugging him tightly. He hesitantly, worried if he had hurt the other boy, returned the embrace. Slowly relaxing, he thought, ‘The voice in my head stopped.’ He pulled back and took his brother hand to write something on his palm, “I’m sorry, I don’t know what happened.” Youngmin smiled, the worry subsiding, he replied, “as long as you’re ok, I’m ok. Now, how about we finish getting breakfast, ok?” Kwangmin nodded and let his brother take over the fishing spot while he went to make a camp fire.

 


 

 

Meanwhile, deep underground, the evil one snapped his fingers in annoyance, “damn, I almost had him.” He said to himself. Shrugging, he chuckled and said, “Oh well, soon there will come a time when your precious brother won’t be able to help you, Kwangmin and it is then that I will be waiting.”

 


 

 

Their breakfast was silent; Youngmin was trying to figure out what happened to Kwangmin, why was he acting this way, it was almost as if something was manipulating him, wanting to take control of him. He then remembered the story about how they came to be on earth, ‘if her story is true, then, Kwangmin really does need help and quickly.’ Kwangmin was sitting with guilt on his shoulders. He heard the older sigh before calling out to the younger boy who looked at him, “Kwangmin if what mother said is true then it would be best if you stayed by me, seeing is you can calm down only when I’m around you, ok?” Kwangmin nodded silently. ‘If only I didn’t loose control, was that the dark power?’ He thought to himself. “Hey,” the older brother spoke, gaining the younger boy’s attention, “Nothing was your fault, ok? Stop sulking and eat we have a long way to travel today.” Kwangmin nodded smiling as he munched on his now cold breakfast.

 


 

Once everything was packed, the twins put out their camp fire and headed off to their destination. Kwangmin handed his brother the map and they went off in the direction given to them by the stranger, K.Will.

 


 

 

As they walked, the two couldn’t help, but look back a couple of times not willing to leave their home, but they forced themselves to look away and move foreword. It wasn’t until Youngmin stopped and looked at the map that Kwangmin stopped as well curiously looking at his brother. “Which way do we go?” Youngmin wondered. They were at a fork in the road. One way lead to the capital, but the other way led to a large town. Kwangmin pointed to a temple on the map near their location and wrote on his brother’s palm, “We can go here, it’s a temple. We can ask them for directions.” Youngmin nodded and the two went to the temple located within the forest off of the trail of the road.

 


 

It was early afternoon when the boys arrived to the temple. Kwangmin was nervous, a temple was a sacred place and for him, someone who bears the powers of darkness, he wasn’t sure how the monks would react to him, or if he could even get to the monks thanks to the talismans that protect the temple from demons. Youngmin took his brother’s hand and said, “stay close, here we go.” They walked closed to the temple, the talismans doing their job a little too well were forcing Kwangmin out, but Youngmin kept a tight grip on his brother’s hand and, with a reassuring smile, pulled him along. They were half way there when Kwangmin stopped to take a quick rest; the talismans were defiantly harder on Kwangmin than they were on Youngmin. The older felt them, but they didn’t seem to bother him as much as they did Kwangmin. “Hang on; we’re almost at the temple.” The older said, encouraging the younger boy. Kwangmin nodded and forced himself to push foreword.

 


 

Once they arrived to the temple, they were greeted by some kind monks, “welcome, humble travelers to our temple, is there anything we can do for you?” one of them wondered. Youngmin let Kwangmin sit down to catch his breath while he took out his map and handed it to the monk, “we need to find a place to gather information on a particular stone, we were wondering if you could give us directions.” The monk smiled kindly and replied, “of course, if I may ask what is the name of the stone that you seek?” Youngmin went to help his brother up and held his hand tightly in his grip as he replied, “it’s called the purification stone.” At this, the monk lost his smile and he handed the map back to the boy and said, “Unfortunately, I don’t know any place that would have any information on the stone you are seeking, but the head monk should be able to give you some answers, come with me.” The twins, with much hesitation, followed the monk to their living quarters where the head monk stayed.

 


 

When the monk introduced the twins to the head monk, the boys seemed nervous. The head monk looked at them almost as if he was able to see through them. “Tell me, why are young boys such as your self seek the purification stone?” he questioned. His voice soft yet stern, with power. Youngmin didn’t know if he could trust this monk, but they needed directions, “I need it to help my brother.” He told the monk. The monk looked at the boy next to Youngmin, he felt it, a dark aura hidden within the boys body ready to burst out of his body at any moment. The monk understood the urgency, but he noticed something about Youngmin a bright light lay dormant within him, but it had an affect on his brother, it was keeping the dark aura stable and in check. “What manner of beings are you?” The boys were taken by surprise, “What do you mean?” Asked Youngmin, gripping his brother’s hand tightly. “You have powers within the both of you. One with darkness and one with light, no ordinary human has powers like that, so what are you?” Reasoned the monk, Youngmin realized that lying to the monk would be useless, “we are the sons to the Sun God.” Youngmin said to the monk who almost didn’t believe them, but when thinking about it, it began to make more and more sense. The monk stood and said, “if you speak the truth then I wish for you both to stay here for the night, there is something we must discuss before you set off on your quest.” The twins looked at each other Kwangmin shrugged telling the older that it was up to him. Youngmin looked at the monk and nodded agreeing with the older man. The monk found his smile again and said, “Come with me, I will show you to a room where you may stay for tonight.”

 


 

When it was evening, the boys were given some extra clothes and were able to bathe. While Kwangmin was bathing, Youngmin told the head monk everything that happened up until this point and why they were in search for the purification stone. “Well from what you tell me, the stone may be able to help you, but I warn you, the purification stone can purify, but only with the right intentions can its power be obtained.” Youngmin nodded, “I understand.” The monk saw the determination in the younger boy, “you’re really willing to go through all of this to find a stone that may or may not exist?” Youngmin nodded, “yes, he’s my brother; I am willing to do whatever it takes to help him.” The monk smiled, “he’s very lucky to have you.” This made Youngmin blush as he bowed in gratitude before excusing himself to his room, “Oh, wait a moment!” The monk called out making Youngmin turn around, “if you want to gather information, you will need to go to the town past the capital.” Youngmin nodded and bowed, “thank you. We will head there tomorrow.” He went back to his room where Kwangmin was drying his hair.