Chapter 1

Black Sun

Sun rise came way sooner than Youngmin expected. Groaning, he shifted in his bed so that he wasn’t bombarded with rays of light from the sun. Without wasting another moment, Youngmin closed his eyes and went back to dream land. However, all good things must come to an end and they did once the door to his room opened ever so silently. The intruder quietly making their way through the room and to the drapes before opening them, allowing the sun into the room allowing its rays to brighten the once darkened enclosure. The intruder placed a hand on Youngmin’s shoulder and with a gentle voice spoke, “Youngmin, dear, its time to get up.” Groaning, Youngmin turned his head over his shoulder slightly to see his mother smiling at him. He then slowly and groggily sat up, rubbing his eyes as he began to look around the room. He noticed that the bed to his left, his brother's bed, was empty. "where's Kwangmin?" He asked sleep still in his voice. "He went out to the fields to help your dad." She replied as she made her way to the door. Youngmin stood up out of bed, now a little more awake and alert, he thought, hold on, today is supposed to be my turn to help dad out in the fields, didn't Kwangmin wake me? Youngmin made his way down to the kitchen, passing by empty hallways and wooden stairs that lead straight into the said kitchen. "Mom, how come Kwangmin didn't wake me? I thought it was my turn to help dad in the fields today." His mother chuckled before replying, "it is your turn, but you know how Kwangmin gets. He probably wanted you to have the day to sleep you do a lot around town and he is aware of that he just wants to share the responsibility." Youngmin smiled, typical Kwangmin. It would be just like him to do this. Youngmin loved his brother, but sometimes he wished he would think a little more before he acted. "I'll join them after breakfast." He said to his mother who was setting the table for herself and Youngmin. "Very well, but hurry." Nodding, Youngmin went to change out of his pajamas before coming back into the kitchen to have his breakfast.


 

 

After having his breakfast, Youngmin kissed his mother good-bye and dashed out of the house. There were a few different fields in Youngmin’s town. Each house had its own small field for the families to grow their own crops, but the town also had one larger field where they grew crops to sell at the markets in the capital city which were held once a year. Youngmin’s and Kwangmin’s father works at the larger field and takes one of the twins with him everyday. Today was supposed to be Youngmin’s day to go, but for some unknown reason, Kwangmin was there instead. As he ran to the fields, he was greeted by the other town’s people; he hastily greeted them back and continued to push his legs until he got to the large field that he could see in the distance. One could say that; Youngmin’s town is divided into three sections: the home, the market, and the field. The home is where all of the houses stand, as well as where the town’s gate is located. The home section blends into the market section of town where business is conducted on a daily basis, and then, finally the field was located just beyond the market. It was a large green landscape surrounded by the clear skies and a wooden fence to keep out animals that may try to ruin the crops. There is a hill that protrudes out from the main landscape. It is there that a house was built for the workers where they may go to have lunch or to seek shelter from harsh weather conditions.


 

 

When Youngmin arrived, he quickly pushed open the wooden gate and ran into the house on the hill. He put on some gloves, rubber boots, and a hat to keep himself protected. The gloves were a necessity, why no one knew, but the boots were to be worn because the soil is watered on an almost constant, everyday, basis so as to not ruin their footwear, the workers were given their own rubber boots to keep their feet dry, and lastly the hat was an obvious necessity, when the sun is at its peak it gets extremely hot and everyone was required to wear a hat. He went back outside and scanned the field for his father or his brother. After a few minutes of standing, he noticed both his father and his brother helping to push a large kart containing lots and lots of fertilizer. He ran up to the kart just as it was coming to a halt for a short rest, “father, Kwangmin!” he exclaimed. The other two males looked in Youngmin's direction and smiled, “glad you could join us, son.” His father said happily. Kwangmin smiled, “hi there, sleep well?” Youngmin nodded before playfully pushing his brother, “why didn't you wake me?” Kwangmin chuckled, “I figured you would be upset, but you always work so hard, so I thought you deserved a nice break every once in a while.” Youngmin shook his head amazed at his brothers reasoning. Kwangmin, even though he was Youngmin's younger twin, was very different. For starters, their eye color, Kwangmin's eyes were nearing the color of a dark brown almost black, even while Youngmin's were a bit lighter by comparison. Another larger difference started to take place when the boys were five, Kwangmin's skin had a gray undertone to it. It's not obvious unless he is standing side by side with his brother who had an almost glowing tone to his skin, and finally, the biggest difference and probably the one that scares Youngmin the most was; when he and Kwangmin were five, Kwangmin was unable to speak for about a week, no one could figure out why, but after everything was fine and back to normal except Kwangmin is slowly, but surely loosing his ability to speak. He couldn't figure out why this was happening, but ever since then Youngmin made sure to have his brother in sight in case he needed him.

 


After a short rest, they began to push the kart once again. Youngmin joined in helping out the team. Heavy panting escaped their lips as the pushed the heavy kart up the hill and to the house where they kept their supplies. “every week it's the same thing.” Kwangmin grunted as he pushed the kart from the back. This made Youngmin chuckle, “you should be used to it by now.” He retorted, making the younger twin chuckle. Once the kart was finally at the top of the hill, everyone helped to move the large bags of fertilizer into the house. “Alright, thanks for your help, you may get back to your work in the fields.” One of the workers spoke as he brought in the last bag. The workers filed out except for Kwangmin who was stopped by his boss, aka, the worker that brought in the last bag, Mr. Lee. “Kwangmin, not you.” He said as he turned around and handed the boy a large ax, “you remember our deal, go and get some wood for our homes.” This was dangerous work, chopping down trees for fire wood required at least two men to do the job without any casualties. Kwangmin, unlike his brother was picked on most of the time and was sent on dangerous tasks in hopes that their would be an accident. Kwangmin took the ax and a smaller kart before leaving the house. Youngmin noticed the items that Kwangmin was carrying as he left the fields and went to Mr. Lee. “Excuse me sir.” Mr. Lee noticed Youngmin and smiled, “yes, my boy what can I do for you?”Young pointed back to the house, “where are you sending Kwangmin?” He wondered. Mr. Lee gulped and spoke the truth, “I  sent him to get the fire wood.” Youngmin blinked, “but sir that's a two man job and you're sending him alone?” Mr. Lee shrugged, “if it bothers you so much go and help him, doesn't matter to me.” Youngmin turned and went to his father, “I'll go and help Kwangmin.” The older man nodded and watched his oldest son run off to catch up to his brother.


 

 

As he chopped the tree, Kwangmin could feel his back strain and his muscles hurt, but he didn't complain, he didn't have any reason to, this  was work and work is work. “Kwangmin, I came to help.” Youngmin said as he ran up to him. This made Kwangmin smile, “yeah, thanks.” He made one final chop and the tree came falling, Kwangmin grabbed his brothers arm and pulled him close and said, “move!” Youngmin was subconsciously gripping Kwangmin's shirt as the tree landed on the ground with a harsh thud. The dust cleared and the twins looked at each other, the younger twin smiling and the older twin looking slightly flushed, “you alright, h-hyung?” Kwangmin said having trouble saying that last word. Youngmin smiled and nodded, “yeah, are you alright?” Kwangmin nodded and went to chop at the tree dividing it into tree sections and then cutting them until he had matching sets of wood in his wagon. It took him and Youngmin about three hours to finish the job and by the time that they handed out all of the wood to all of the different houses, it was already mid afternoon and the sun was not as strong as it was earlier that day. Wiping his forehead, Kwangmin spoke, “let’s get this back to the fields and get home, I’m starving.” Youngmin nodded, agreeing with his brother and the two began to pull the wagon across town to the field.


 

 

When they reached the field, Kwangmin pushed his wagon back to the side of the house and went to put his ax back inside the house where Youngmin was taking off his gloves, hat, and boots. Once the two were ready, they left the field and made their way through the market, but on the way someone bumped into Kwangmin. “I’m sorry, sir.” Kwangmin apologized. The stranger turned and punched the younger making him fall harshly. Youngmin ran to his brother, helping him up, “are you alright?” He asked his brother who nodded, then turning to the stranger, “what the hell is your problem?” The man looked at the twins and smirked evilly before walking away into a back alley. Kwangmin didn’t know what that was, but momentarily, he was frozen with fear.