Chapter 8

Odd Housemate
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Xiao Lei looked at her reflection over and over again, checking if there is still something missing or off with her outfit. After a couple of dresses, she finally got the perfect dress for the occasion, of course with the help of Lu Han. She’ll get to see her brother get his awards, her whole family, and a couple of old friends. It was supposed to be a fun event but knowing her father’s going to be there, she doubts it.


“Your brother will love it. I have good taste.” Lu Han told her quite cockily.


“Thanks for the indirect insult.”


It was almost a miracle how Xiao Lei managed to overcome her shame and talk to Lu Han comfortably. It might have taken her a couple of days to properly look into Lu Han’s face without blushing, but Lu Han also took the initiative not to force her to be comfortable all over again. Despite all of that, Xiao Lei cannot deny that it still has an effect on her…emotional effect to be exact and it wasn’t good.


“Xiao Lei! Oh my! You look beautiful! I miss you!”


“Mama! I’m so sorry we’re a little late so we didn’t really had the time to look for you.” Xiao Lei squealed excitedly and ran towards her mother, trapping the older woman in a tight bear hug. At the scene, Lu Han felt envious and longing about his own mother. It was a rare sight to see Xiao Lei being childlike and so carefree, and it was just because she saw someone she misses so much. It was also fascinating for him since it was like watching two Xiao Lei’s hugging each other.


“I see, you have a date. That’s good, but are you sure this time?”


“Ma! He’s not my date, he’s just a friend. Ma, meet Lu Han, and Lu Han, meet my mother.” She gladly introduced the two to each other and they both reached for each other’s hands. Xiao Lei leaned closer to her mother and whispered, “He’s gay, don’t worry about me.”


“Oh, it doesn’t matter. Seems like Lu Han is a good person.” Lu Han shyly smiled.


“Jiejie! Where were you? I thought you couldn’t come anymore.” Tao happily slung his arms around her sister and Lu Han.


“I wouldn’t miss this, even though I already know everything that will happen. Seeing you go up the stage and give a speech…it’s getting boring.” Tao pouted but his face lit up when he received another congrats from Lu Han.


“Congratulations! And great speech by the way.” Lu Han brightly told the younger boy.


“As expected of a real Huang. It would be a shame if anyone of us fails miserably. At least I know that Zi Tao wouldn’t fail me like you do.” A tall and big built man who resembles Tao a lot more, suddenly entered the scene, causing the bright atmosphere to gloom. Even Lu Han was intimidated by his aura yet Xiao Lei seemed the only one who didn’t even get scared. “I see you brought a friend, I just hope you make a good choice this time.”


“It’s nice to see you too Pa.  At least I still have a choice in choosing my friends, too bad I can’t do the same with my father.” Xiao Lei retorted, her words obviously spitting out venom towards her own father. Lu Han was quite in shock to see the head of the family but he was more surprised to see the tension between the father and daughter.


“Let’s just have dinner altogether, shall we? I specially made Tao’s favorites…and of course our Xiao Lei’s.” Mrs. Huang beamed to cut the rising temperature and divert the attention of the people. Lu Han had already felt awkward being in his position but seeing how warm Xiao Lei’s mother was, made her feel otherwise.


“I don’t want to spoil the day because of one person, I’ll do this because of Tao. Let’s go.” Xiao Lei led the way, still ignoring her father.


Tao sighed, his rare chances of seeing the two together always end up as a non-stop side comments and word wars. Even her mother couldn’t do anything just because of her husband. Xiao Lei was the only one who had the guts to finally rebel and do what she needed to do. Ironically in their family, being the first born, and a daughter, it was expected of her to be obedient all the time, but not Xiao Lei.


“I know this is out of my concern, but, he’s still your father.” Lu Han told Xiao Lei when they were finally alone, and on their way at the Huang’s home.


“You’ve seen nothing yet Lu Han. Don’t back down if he ever tries to say something to you, I can feel that you’re going to be his target today. Punch him if you want to, I won’t stop you.”


“You really hate your father that much, huh? I sometimes feel the same way towards my father but I just shrug it off. He’s still your father even you turn the world upside down.”


“It’s just that...never mind.” Xiao Lei sighed. She pondered if she do really hate her own father that much. Yes, no, maybe…she can’t choose one definite answer. Even if her father was kind of evil, she was still thankful of him, of everything he gave her, but there are always times that things are becoming too much.


“Is this it?” Lu Han was in awe as he entered a huge gate, following the family’s car. Xiao Lei nodded quietly, very different from Lu Han’s reaction. He was excited to enter the house, which actually looked like a palace in his eyes, yet Xiao Lei seemed so nonchalant. Still, he had not given up the fact that her family’s there and that she should be excited somehow. Lu Han carefully stepped outside his car, still ogling the house in front of him.


“It’s ironic that I hate this place but I miss this.” She sighed as she led the way towards the house. It may be a simple yet bitter words from Xiao Lei, but it also somehow made Lu Han’s heart felt happy about Xiao Lei’s feelings. His inward happiness was added when he was asked to seat in a table full of savory foods, personally prepared by their mother.


“Feel at home Lu Han. Try this, this is Xiao Lei and Zi Tao’s favorite.” Xiao Lei’s mother cooed as she placed a serving of pasta on his plate. Her whole aura can just attract any person to love her, just like Xiao Lei. Lu Han smiled shyly as he accepted the food, and everyone finally dug in to their plates. The chatters stopped when Xiao Lei’s father entered the dining area, and just like in anime’s it seemed that everything about him was so dark.


“You know I don’t eat pasta.” Mr. Huang spoke as he sat down his seat. His wife lowered her head and just continued to serve those who would like to try her dish. Tao and Lu Han felt sorry for her but Xiao Lei had tightened her

Please log in to read the full chapter