Chapter 9

Odd Housemate
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Xiao Lei was mopping the floor of the restaurant where she was working as her last task for the day, when Lu Han entered the place. Suddenly, she looked worried and scared for Lu Han as the said man seemed like he just came from a bloody battle that he just won. Xiao Lei had never seen Lu Han so manly before and it was scary yet attractive.


“Shrug it off Huang Xiao Lei.” She mumbled quietly as she shook her head. When he was already in front of her, she looked up with a fake smile. “How did it go?”


“As always, he said sorry. I said maybe someday I’ll forgive them, but not anytime soon, and I also told him that I will never ever forget what he did to me unless I have an amnesia. It’s much more than our relationship as lovers, but also the trust between two people. It was broken and won’t be easily mended.”


“Oh…that’s so deep~” Xiao Lei told him in amusement. Lu Han looked at her weirdly for he did not know whether he was being ridiculed or being praised. “But, that’s it? You two took your time.”


“We’re still two humans who wants to chat with other people, can’t help it.”


“So did he ever tell you something about Tiffany?” she asked curiously about her old friend.


“She just went back to Korea this morning, and the day after tomorrow, it will be Sehun’s turn.”


“You won’t stop him? We both know you still love him…”


“No, I have to let go. I’m happy with how it turned out for me and for him. I don’t know but things went our way when we parted. It’s odd.”


“Xiao Lei, hurry up! We’ll still close the shop!” her co-worker caught the two’s attention. Xiao Lei mumbled an apology before going back to the kitchen to do whatever job is left.


Lu Han did not wait too long for Xiao Lei rushed her work to catch up with the newest gossip. But more than that, Lu Han was still amazed at how hardworking Xiao Lei was. Even at the end of the day, after working from another job, added with a heavy school load, she can still manage to smile to all people around her. Lu Han knew he can never do that even if he liked what he was doing. Actually, everything about her amuses Lu Han.


“Let’s go? I seriously want to lie on my bed now.” She yawned.


“You have one more work Xiao Lei, and it’s the most important one.” Lu Han reminded her then she rolled her eyes, obviously did not really care about her ‘last job’.


“Yeah, yeah, the mannequin job, whatever.”


As soon as the two got home, Lu Han went straight back to his room to get his stuff while Xiao Lei changed into a more comfortable set of clothes. The renter got his cloths, pins, scissors and whatever stuff is needed for his sample. Xiao Lei quietly watched him do his stuff before she was asked to stand up, and she was all ready to be wrapped in cloth like a mummy.


“When is your graduation again?” Lu Han asked her while picking the best cloth for his masterpiece.


“A month from now. I don’t know but it still feel like I still have a long way to go before that day.”


“Do you still have other things to do? I thought you were done when you did your report.”


“Not really, it was just the biggest requirement. I still have to compute grades, to complete whatever I have to complete, get a clearance, follow-up my grades and even my thesis, etc. And of course, work! I love my life!” she sarcastically remarked her last sentence.


“You still have one month, and actually, I don’t have that much to do.” Lu Han faced her with a smile as he wrapped her body in a silk cloth.


“You’ll go with me? Yay! Thanks~” Xiao Lei bounced on her feet with glee. At least, she’ll have someone to go with her and she’ll never have to get bored again, especially during a long wait on the line. “Lu, do you really want this job? I mean, is this really your dream?”


“No. I got this job, and I learned to love it. You may not believe it but I was into football and I dreamt of becoming a professional player.”


“Oh, that’s why you have such muscular legs!”


“Why were you staring at my legs?! Oh, you might be ogling all over my body! You watch me when I shower! How dare you!” Lu Han exclaimed and even covered his crotch in exaggeration.


“What the heck?! I am not a peeping tom! How dare YOU! It was just an observation!” Xiao Lei shrieked and hit his arm. Lu Han laughed out loud shielding Xiao Lei’s smacks. He was just kidding but he loved the way Xiao Lei shriek and show such emotions.


“I was just kidding!” Lu Han rolled over the couch, unable to breathe properly because of Xiao Lei. Xiao Lei kept on whining and hid her face in embarrassment, while Lu Han was still trying to hold his laughter.


“I hate you…” she mumbled and hit him one last time.


“Okay, let’s continue this.” Lu Han giggled as Xiao Lei half-heartedly stood up once again.He delicately wrapped the cloth over her body again, pinning, and tracing, until he was satisfied with the look of the future cloth.


“This dress looks so pretty. I like it.” Xiao Lei beamed and twirled like it was already an actual dress.


“You do? That’s great then.” Lu Han smiled proudly and nodded. He felt good being complimented but it felt better when she really told him she loved the dress already.


Lu Han had always felt good receiving compliments, yet hearing it from Xiao Lei makes it a lot better. She always appreciates and looks positively in each of his works. Even if it failed for his bosses, Xiao Lei would always say it is beautiful, and sometimes, she even badmouths his bosses…which actually a way to release his stress from work. Xiao Lei makes him feel so lighthearted and carefree that it also makes him work more efficiently.


“Lu, can I sleep already? I’m really tired tonight, I’m sorry.” Xiao Lei yawned and rubbed her eyes. “I still have to fix some stuff in school…do you want to go with me?”


“You want me to go with you?”


“I asked you, didn’t I?” she gulped as Lu Han kept on looking straight to her eyes. She blinked while looking away from him and gulped which really showed her uncomfortable state yet Lu Han kept going and tilted his head, as if he was finding something in her eyes. “...Hey…uhm, w-w-w-what are you d-d-doing?”


“You’re really still awkward after the incident.” Lu Han stated while the girl in front of her whimpered in embarrassment. “I can’t blame you though, but I’m really sorry, okay? I really thought we’re over about it.”


Lu Han ruffled her hair. Even without looking at him, she can hear and feel sincerity through his voice. She nodded, really wanting to get the thought of their kiss out of her head…maybe even in her heart. Finally taking off the scrap clothing off her body, she quickly said good night and ran to her room while holding her heart before it jumps right off her chest.


“This is not good.” She panted and held her chest even tighter to calm herself. She remembers such indescribable feeling and it was when she was still with Lay—which is also a feeling she had been avoiding for years. “Not. Good.”

 

 

 

 

 

“WHAT?! SO YOU MEAN THIS IS FOR MEEEEEEE???!!” Xiao Lei shrieked and held the dress tightly against her chest while grinning from ear to ear. The same dress that was just a draft on her body had been finally made into a real dress…for her. The sight of the finished product made her feel so special especially that Lu Han gave it to her without anything in exchange.


“Kind of? I mean, you’re the first one to have it while it is still not out in the market.” Lu Han rubbed the back of his neck nervously. Xiao Lei was too happy with the dress that she didn’t notice Lu Han’s expression that much. “Can you go with me to my father’s party? Tonight.”


“Party? So it’s kind of a good bribe that I should go with you to that party to have this dress?” Xiao Lei stopped on her tracks and gaped at Lu Han. “Like a super grand ball?”


“Well…yeah, it’s my mother’s birthday party. I just don’t want to go alone, I hate that kind of parties.” Lu Han scoffed at the thought of having to be so formal and polite in front of all those socializing hypocrites.


“I don’t like those either…but meh, we’re going to be fine. Right? Okay, I’ll go, but you swear this dress is mine?”


“Yes.” Lu Han chuckled and let the woman get ready for the party. Xiao Lei squealed loudly as she ran back to her room, appreciating the outfit and Lu Han’s generousness to her.


After one grueling hour of dressing up and making their selves look good, the two showed up at the party, their arms linked together, making most of the other guests’ heads turn. Most guests were middle aged people, rarely teens or even young adults, and that was the only time Xiao Lei realized why Lu Han wouldn’t really enjoy.They were all dressed elegantly and formally, just as she had been expecting. As Lu Han’s eyes moved around while looking for the star of the party yet his date’s eyes were glued to the buffet table.


“Lu Han, my son!” A woman approached them gleefully, very excited to hug the young man. “I thought you wouldn’t come! It’s so nice to see you again~”


“Happy birthday mom.” Lu Han kissed her cheek with such affections as Xiao Lei sweetly smiled at the lady. When Lu Han took a step back, he introduced his companion while slithering an arm around her waist. “Mom, this is Xiao Lei.”


“Hi, Xiao Lei.” The woman greeted her curtly before directing her attention to Lu Han once again, yet still constantly eyeing the woman beside him. “Is she your girlfriend? I don’t mean to be rude but you know you’re set to be married already. We cannot afford to lose this arrangement Lu Han.”


“Mom, girlfriend or not, I am not going to get married to someone I don’t know and you know my preference. It’s your special day, let’s not spoil the night by talking about this stuff, shall we? Oh, I saw Mrs. Feng and she seems like she’s talking to potential business partners.”


“Oh, really? I should get going then. Oh, and your father is just around the corner with his friend, if you’re interested. See you around Lu Han…and Xiao Lei.” The celebrant then left the two and Xiao Lei finally sighed in relief. Lu Han’s mother didn’t like her, and she was definitely sure about it. However, when she can finally breather properly, she frowned once again for Lu Han chuckled upon hearing her sigh.


“Your mother hates me.”


“Not to brag or insult anyone, but she’s a lot nicer than your dad. Come on, let’s just get something to eat.” Xiao Lei shrugged, somewhat agreeing at Lu Han’s statement.


Her excitement grew stronger as they approached the buffet table and getting the food that they wanted. Personally, she would love to get things her own but Lu Han was still gentleman enough to help her. From the picking of food, until they went to their seats, he pulled the chair for her and let her sit first. Talk about chivalry…


“Lei, what’s that on your arms?” Lu Han asked as he held her forearms to take a closer look at her light bruises. He knew and remembered that Xiao Lei didn’t have those days before and he instantly got worried because of the amount of bruises on her arms.


“It’s nothing. I bumped into tables and stuff at work, you know how clumsy I am.” She forced a smile as she hid her arm from his sight. Lu Han nodded and let their selves indulge in the food that they got. Within a couple of minutes, Xiao Lei sighed in relief when Lu Han had told her a few stories about their

Please log in to read the full chapter