Chapter 5

Odd Housemate
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

“Good luck on your demo. And please treat me to some dinner after.” Lu Han beamed at her. Xiao Lei saw another side of him and it was the best image of Lu Han so far. Lu Han was already stress free for he had finally passed his draft yet Xiao Lei was already the one who wants to die because of nervousness. It’s do or die.


“Thanks Lu but I’m going to have to work later, so if you want dinner, just pass by the restaurant. Uhm, what else? Presentation…pen…dress…make-up...”


“Confidence. That’s what you’re lacking right now. Relax~” Lu Han sat comfortable on the couch while his housemate was still running around the house to look for other things she might need.


“Whatever Lu. I have to go. Bye~” Xiao Lei’s heels made loud tapping noises as she ran out of her home. Lu Han looked after her and burst out laughing as he saw her struggling to run with her heels and wobbling legs.


“Why didn’t I just wore slippers first?” Xiao Lei cursed under her breath as she was having a hard time walking, when she was just a few meters away from the presentation room of her school.


“Good morning Ms. Huang. You’re early but…are you ready?” her professor and mentor greeted her along the way.


“I think so ma’am.” Xiao Lei shyly answered.


“Just relax, I know you can do it. You’re the best student of this batch, and I say this because I know.”


“Thank you ma’am.” Xiao Lei blushed and bent her head down to hide her shyness.


“We still have at least 30mins. Show me how you’d present first so that we can make our last minute changes which I doubt will happen.”


Because of her professor’s words, Xiao Lei felt more pressured yet encouraged to do well in her presentation. Last push as they say, and it should be the best presentation she’ll make her whole life. One step away from her dream and there’s no turning back anymore. Right before her presentation, she scrolled through her messages which was suddenly flooded with words of encouragement from her brothers, mother, and even Sehun and Lu Han.


“Ms. Huang, you’re up.” Her professor whispered to her and Xiao Lei finally stood up, chin up and well-prepared for her finish line.

 

 

 

 

 

“Congratulations~ I am seriously going to rent a billboard just for you! But I’m sorry, I really can’t make it today. I have lots of school works. You understand me, right?”


“Yes, Tao. You better do well.”


“I will, as always. Bye jiejie~ Love you!”


“Love you too...Bye.” Xiao Lei sighed as she had just been rejected by three boys to celebrate with her. Kris was having an important meeting, Lay was asleep after his 10-hr operation and she really didn’t want to disturb him, and Tao was busy with school.


Xiao Lei wanted to celebrate with her family, or a friend, but most of them are all busy with their own lives and now, there she was sulking in front of the foods she ordered for (supposedly) all of them. She was exhausted, from school and from work, and she wanted to at least have a little fun with friends and tell them her experience, but no one can accompany her. Half-heartedly, she celebrated all by herself and started poking on the food yet she had no appetite to feed herself.


“Why so glum, Prof. Huang?” Lu Han suddenly sat across her, beaming and resting his chin on his palms with a huge smile. “You should be happy, right? You sure would stuff yourself with these delicacies and be obese the next day.”


“Can you stuff yourself and be obese the next day with me then?”


“If it’s for free then why not?” Xiao Lei smiled a little but it was a forced one and Lu Han did not fail to notice it. “I can’t contact Sehun and I really don’t know where he is so I only have myself to bother you.”


“Tiffany as well.” Xiao Lei’s lips formed into a slight pout.


“So…how was your presentation? You wouldn’t celebrate like this if it wasn’t successful! Tell me about it.” With Lu Han’s words, Xiao Lei finally looked up and eager to share how her day has gone. Every word that came out from was filled with happiness and enthusiasm that got Lu Han curious as to how she lived that way. He had already heard that she came from a good—if not, wealthy—yet she was there pursuing everything she has on her own.


“…just a little bit more and I’ll be a professor in no time.” Xiao Lei giggled and filled once again with a huge chunk of meat.


“Why didn’t you teach while you were studying masters? Isn’t that more convenient for you?”


“Well, I wanted to. But most of the schools I applied to wanted experienced teachers or masters graduate. It’s a tough competition.”


“But why didn’t you seek help from your parents then? I’m just curious…” Xiao Lei’s face turned blank because of Lu Han’s question.


“Would you like some alcohol? Wine or something strong?”


“Are you seriously changing the topic? Or are you planning to take advantage of me? That is so not going to happen, girl! I am not a lesbian! I like guys!” Lu Han joked around to ease the tension.


“What the hell? No, it’s because this is a serious talk already and will b

Please log in to read the full chapter