Chapter 23

Odd Housemate
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Despite still not feeling well physically, Lu Han was emotionally beyond happy. He was not expecting anything from Xiao Lei because of what he has done and yet she was there to stay by his side when he needed someone. It may not mean a lot for other people but to him, it is an improvement. How he had wished for it to happen and yet when it did, he couldn’t believe it himself. It’s either it was far from impossible or he simply cannot remember because of too much alcohol.


While smiling, he carefully poured the chocolate smoothies on the glasses and served to his colleagues for their meeting. The employees were all surprised yet delighted at his sudden good mood. They all know how he has been a terrorizing monster the past couple of week, and seeing him beaming in happiness made them see him in a more positive light.


“Sir, what’s the occasion? Are we celebrating something?” one of them asked as Lu Han passed him a glass of smoothie.


“I just feel light when I woke up this morning and I know you’ve had such a long day.” He smiled which captured the hearts of the female staffs wherein the male staffs were just happy they got a smoothie.


“Is it because of a special someone?” Another one mischievously asked but only got another boyish grin from Lu Han. Some of them suddenly got curious and excited when they saw Lu Han’s reaction.


“Is everyone here –What’s going on?” Xiao Lei entered the room and found the employees beaming in happiness and full of energy. Lu Han approached her with a glass of her own. She was felt awkward but accepted it nonetheless.


“Alright, everyone’s already here so let’s start! We only have a couple of days left before the launch this is not the time to slack off.” Lu Han asked them to have their seats and somehow, they were all excited rather than dreading to have their meeting.


Xiao Lei sat down as well and she looked down on her hands, she realized how much she missed the sweet treat. Although she hesitated for a second, she still drank the smoothie and still saw the subtle triumphant smile from Lu Han. The meeting went smoothly and it seemed like Lu Han’s infectious happiness – and chocolate smoothie – made things more positive. Good ideas and news came out, healthy debates, and the employees are all in the zone and very productive.


“As far as I can see, the only thing that we need to worry about now is the event itself, and hope that it will be successful. Do we have any questions or concerns?” Xiao Lei said as she went through her notes once again and felt proud and accomplished with all their hard work. Everyone shook their head and all of them finally sighed in relief.


“A lot of things can still happen within a week so let’s not be careless. But for the meantime, you can go and find yourself something to wear for the after party. So I think that’s it for now. Meeting adjourned.” Lu Han declared and the team went out one by one, feeling excited for their project.


The meeting ended on a good note which rarely happens to them. Most of the time, Lu Han and Xiao Lei would argue due to their different insights about the project yet not even once they bantered during the meeting. No one got suspicious and simply appreciated everyone’s cooperation and looked forward to the event. They all just thought that still had a bit more time for their selves and personally prepare for the event. The two leaders even overheard some of them planning to go shopping right after work.


“Did you like the smoothie?” Lu Han asked Xiao Lei when they were the only ones left in the room. Xiao Lei was quite surprised but still nodded quietly. “I wanted to make it just for you but you might get mad at me for making it obvious, so I instead made it for the whole team. At least it helped cheering them up, right?”


“Why do you think you have to do that?” she looked at him incredulously.


“Just think of it as my way of saying thank you. Tiffany told me that you took care of me when I got wasted last weekend.” He embarrassingly told her but he still got a cold response from her.


“I just did what I had to do. There’s no need to thank me.”


“Still…” he muttered.


“Anyway, they will start setting up the venue tomorrow and the chairman asked us to be there to supervise. See you tomorrow.”


Xiao Lei had gathered her things and even before Lu Han could say something, she was already gone. He was once again defeated but a little hint of hope added when he saw her used glass. He smiled remembering that whenever they have coffee or any drink during meeting, Xiao Lei wouldn’t finish everything. Yet, her glass was empty when he served some chocolate smoothie. It was a very shallow reason to be happy but his heart was jumping in joy as if he had won the lottery.

 

 

 

 

“Can you move that a little to the left? Uh-huh…a little bit to the right. Sorry, nope, please adjust it again to the left…just a little more… THERE YOU GO!”

Please log in to read the full chapter