Chapter 5

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Krystal POV*

"Wait, you have a sister?" Luna asked while we walked to her home. "I never knew that!"

"It's because I never told you, stupid!" I bumped her shoulder with mine playfully. "But yeah, I have to live with her for two weeks! And it's a nightmare!"

"What? Why? She's your sister!"

"That's the thing. She hates me," I said.

"Hates you? Why?" Luna asked with surprise. "What's there to hate about you? Besides you being really smart and extremely proficient at running."

I shot her a look. "Dunno. It's been like that since I remember. She always  got mad at me for some reason."

"Well, did she ever say why?"

I shook my head. "Then she stopped coming home once she hit high school, and I hadn't seen her until now."

"Interesting," Luna mused. "Well, it'll be over soon! You can help me with my physics project!"

"only because you procrastinated!" I joked. 

She glared at me and I laughed. It was true though. She was THE professional procrastinator. She always somehow found a way to not start something until the very last minute. But at least she had another week for this project.

I started to feel the incoming pangs of a headache again. They seemed to be happening a bit more frequently than before, even though I'd started intaking an extra pill with the recommended amount. Simply taking one pull didn't seem to be helping at all, so I started taking two. 

This morning, I'd made sure to wake up earlier than my sister so she wouldn't have to see me in the morning. I figured it might be better that way, and I also needed time to walk to school. However, I'd woken up with a really bad head ache this morning. It was like someone was literally smashing my head with a giant woodhammer. I really needed to take a painkiller, but I had no water. I didn't feel like using any of my sister's stuff, OR drinking from the sink. That's just gross. So, I decided that I should just get ready for school and get out, and get myself water at school. I'd taken the pills at school in the bathroom. That's the only place that had no camera surveillance stalking the students.

I'd also found keys in my box before I left. It was attached to a note from my sister that they were mine for now, and that I could come and go whenever I wanted.

Well, thanks.

Before I left, I made sure to fold up that giant blanket she'd thrown on me the night before. I set it neatly on top of the box, and left quietly.

I wondered if I should have left a note for my sister saying that I wouldn't be back until way later, but I decided against it. If she didn't like me, why would she care? In anyway, I didn't want to bother her anymore than I already have. 

Most of all, I was afraid to make her mad in some way, and I didn't want to see her unhappy expression.

"You should stay for dinner," Luna said. "My parents having seen you for a while. It'll be nice to have dinner together, wouldn't it?"

"Are you sure?" I asked.

She nodded vigorously. "They've been asking about you. I think they'd really like you to stay for dinner."

"Well...ok, but I guess I should tell my sister that I won't be home." I started to take out my phone to quickly type a message. Even if she didn't care at all, I should at least tell her I was going to be late. She couldn't get mad at me for that since I was letting her know early, and it was for school anyway.

"Great!" she exclaimed. "Thanks for coming to help me with my project, Krystal."

"Fine," I mumbled as my head started to hurt.  I tried to will it to go away and make myself believe that it was nothing. These headache episodes were getting too strong for my liking.

 

*Jessica POV*

"Hey, Sica," Yuri greeted me. "You ok? She didn't bother you this morning did she?" She pet my head and looked at me worriedly.

"I'm alright, Yuri," I said and smiled at her. "Thanks for worrying about me, though."

"But she didn't do anything to you this morning right?" she persisted.

I shook my head. "She wasn't even here when I got up." I couldn't help wondering where she might have gone so early in the morning besides school. "But in anyway, I just want her to stay away." 

"Let's go somewhere," Yuri suggested. "Take your mind off things for a bit."

"I can't, Yul, I'm working today," I said. "Maybe another time."

Yuri pouted. "Don't work yourself too hard, baby." She kissed my cheek. "Take care, and don't get stressed over Krystal."

I smiled at her gratefully. "See you later, Yuri." I watched her get into her car. She waved at me before she drove out of the parking lot.

I got into my car, and turned the ignition. I was on duty until the coffee shop was to close tonight. I grumbled. It was going to be late. At least I'd get free coffee to help me stay awake until then. I was still studying at university for business and fashion design. I had another year to go before I graduated and moved on. God how time flies. 

If time could move that fast, then these two weeks would definitely pass by quickly. I couldn't wait until it was over, but something told me that Dad had only told part of a truth and part of a lie at the same time. Yeah, he promised it would only be two weeks, but I wasn't so sure he'd be back to take Soojung home with him.

A car was beeping at me from behind.

"Pay attention, Jessica!" I hissed at myself. I had gotten so lost in thought, I hadn't seen the traffic light change.

I pulled into the parking lot of the coffee shop. I went into the back door to get ready in the lounge room.

"Hey, Sica!" Sunny called from the corner. "I'm closing up shop tonight actually, so you don't have to stay late. I have to make up for tomorrow cuz I gotta do something really important."

I nodded and continued out. There were a lot of people waiting in line to get coffee. I sighed, knowing that there would be those few people who'd their way about what they wanted. I stood at the empty cash register beside Sunhwa, a really happy-go-lucky girl. "Next customer!" I called.

It was a middle-aged man who was starting to get face wrinkles and aging characterisitics. I noticed that he was staring at me intently and studying me. "I'd like an Americano."

I typed up on the register. "Ok, will that be all?"

He smiled and gave me the cash. He leaned in close, and held his business card out. He was a lawyer. "If ya wanna have dinner with me, that'd be great," he smirked at me as if he thought he was being really and y about it. "And maybe get lucky."

I ignored him. "Have a good day! Next!"

The day couldn't have been worse.

 

As soon as I got off work, I tore off the uniform and name tag, and stuffed it into my bag. I said my goodbye's to my coworkers and exited the backdoor. The sun was already low in the sky when I walked out. I was ready to go home. I'd just taken a killer exam for my business class at university earlier today, and I had to deal with y customers, and customers that kept trying to hit on me. God, it was annoying.

I got home, expecting Krystal to be back, but it was all dark and empty in there. It was almost 8PM. Did she sleep early?

I switched on the lights, but found everything in the same condition that it was left in since this morning. The folded blanket was still there, and nothing had been moved anywhere. 

I sniffed. She was probably up to no good anyway, if she was hanging around so late on the streets. 

I kicked off my shoes and dropped my stuff in room. I took out my phone to see if I had any notifications. I had one message from Krystal. 

"Wonder what escuse she's come up for herself," I grumbled.

Krystal: I'm working on an assignment with a friend so I'll be home late. Sorry.

I scoffed. "Yeah right." I tossed my phone on the nightstand and decided to take a shower so I could cool off from today's activities.

I let the water from the showerhead wash away the stress and worries down the drain. Oh, if only it could...

I heard the front door close, signaling that Krystal was back. This girl, I thought grumpily, she's gonna have to explain herself...

Wait, but why did I care? It's not like we were ever close, and she's independent. She could take care of herself. Besides, I didn't want anything to do with her. Just the sight of her made me mad, and I didn't want her anywhere near me at all.

I suddenly remembered how close we were at that restaurant. That was the closest (physically) we'd ever been in our lives. She had really big eyes...She was kind of cute...I recalled Tiffany's exclamation about how adorable she was.

Oh my god...I couldn't believe I was thinking like this. I tried to wipe her out of my mind, and I turned off the water. 

What are you? A creep? I thought to myself angrily. Stop thinking about that little freak.

 

*Narrator's POV (flashback)*

Jessica stormed up the steps and shut her bedroom door loudly. She threw herself on her bed and began to sob, tears falling freely from her eyes. This was so stupid! Her father didn't care about her at all! He didn't understand that she'd been so negatively affected by her mother's exit. Besides that, he'd lied to her. How was she supposed to trust the man? He'd been lying to her for over ten years. Her mother was probably gone by now...somewhere out there in the world or married to another man, or dead.

And Krystal reminded her too much of what had happened. Her mother had just left a week after giving birth to Krystal. Her father had to use baby formula to nurse her since there was no available mother to give her milk.

Krystal was a quiet baby. She was too quiet. She was also a lucky baby. She didn't have to see mom leave, she didn't have to know about her father's lies, and she didn't have to remember any of it.

Jessica beat her fist against the mattress of her bed, and buried her face in her pillow.

"Unnie?" she heard her sister call at the door. "uh...Jess?"

Jessica ignored her. Go away, she thought, just go away. You can't do anything to help me, Krystal.

But Krystal opened the door. She was obviously concerned, but Jessica didn't even want to acknowledge it. She didn't want her sister to see her like this.

"Unnie? Are you ok?"

Jessica didn't want to look weak in front of Krystal. For so many years, she made herself seem like a strong brick wall to her sister. She didn't want to be a crybaby in front of her sister. She didn't want Krystal to be the one to comfort her. She wouldn't understand. She couldn't. Nothing she could say would ever heal the gaping wound in Jessica's heart.

And then Jessica had lashed out at Krystal when she touched her shoulder gently. Her nails had scraped at Krystal's cheek just briefly. She could only gape at her younger sister in horror as blood dripped down Krystal's face.

"S-Soojung," she spluttered. "I-I'm sorry..."

Krystal didn't even know she was bleeding until she felt warm liquid run down her face. She wiped at it with a hand and inspected the red liquid. The younger girl looked back at her sister, eyes wide and glossy with incoming tears. She opened to say something, but the older girl cut her off.

She glared at Krystal. "Get out. Don't come near me again."

"B-but, unnie, I--" Krystal started. She wanted to know what she had done wrong to displease her sister all the time. And why in heck was Jess crying just now?

"I told you already. Don't call me that. It's Jessica to you." Jessica got up to kick her sister out of her room. She didn't want to see this girl. 

Even if I told you, you would never understand, Krystal, Jessica thought bitterly. 

But most of all, she just didn't want to see the person who reminded her of her mother. Krystal looked nothing like mom, of course. She had mostly dad's qualities. But Krystal was the last thing that happened before mom left.

"Ok, sorry, Jessica, but why are you so cold to me? What hae I done that's so bad?" Krystal asked before she was thrown out.

"Nothing, you idiot. Just leave me alone."

"What?" Krystal cried. "How can you--"

"Just shut up, ok? I don't want to see you right now. Go bother someone else."

She slammed the door in Krystal's face, and turned back to her bed. She studied her nails, finding a bit of blood in the nail that had caused Krystal some damage.

"You're so stupid, Jessica," the older Jung said to herself.

 

Jessica woke up in a cold sweat. This was no nightmare, but she got the shivers every time she revisited this old memory. It seemed to be playing more often after seeing more of Krystal.

She didn't want to keep seeing this old memory. She wanted to rewind it, and replace what she'd done to Krystal...what she'd said at that time. That moment--that last moment Krystal tried to reach out to her, was the last time Krystal even tried to talk with her. She seemed to understand that Jessica wanted nothing to do with her. That's what Jessica had wanted. To dissociate herself from her stupid broken family. Her sister was too caring, and she needed her to stop and go away.

But now, every time she dreamed up this memory, she wanted nothing more than to pull the younger girl into her arms, and kiss away the pain for her. She wanted to wipe off the blood for her, kiss the wound she'd inflicted upon her, and ultimately be close to her.

"Urgh, what am I doing?" she growled and gripped her hair in her hands. "She's your sister, for crying out loud!"

She had never wished to do anything like that with anyone else. Not even Yuri, who was actually her girlfriend!

"Oh my god. Oh my god," she muttered. "YOu hate her. You hate her. What are you doing, Jessica?"

It had only been a week since Krystal had arrived. And everyday, the little girl came home super late.

"Stupid kid's probably a er," she muttered. "What else could she be doing so late at night?"

But she also left super early in the morning. Way earlier than Jessica herself. She was never here at 7AM, but everything was kept clean and tidy when she was done using the couch and blanket to sleep in.

Tch! At least she's considerate enough to do it herself, she thought.

Jessica sat up in her bed and checked her phone. It was 12:30AM. Good thing it was a Saturday. She would have been late to school by now...but she also had work.

"Dammit!" she sprang up. "I'm gonna be so late!"

 

*Jessica POV*

Saturdays at the coffee shop were actually slow days believe it or not. And Saturdays were also days that Tiffany and Yuri would come to visit and keep me company for the last hour of my three hour shift. 

"Hey, Sica!" Yuri grinned at me and waved when she and Tiffany walked in.

I waved at them and finished up taking someone's order before giving the cup to Sunny, who winked at me cheekily. I scoffed and pushed her shoulder playfully. "Don't get too carried away, pabo!"

"Hey, how're you doing?" Yuri leaned on the counter in front of me.

"I'm alright, actually," I replied. "Want anything?"

Yuri shook her head. "I gotta go soon. I have an interview for a scholarship I signed up for."

"Oh..." I nodded. "Good for you. I'm sure you'll do great, Yuri."

"Thanks." She smiled at me, her eyes looking straight into mine. "You're always so supportive."

Tiffany snorted, completely ruining the moment. "Sorry, I had an allergy."

I wrinkled my nose. "Yeah right, Fany. What was it this time?"

She shook her head. "Nothing. I'm feeling kind of low today. I want a doubleshot espresso, and easy on the whip cream, please."

I sighed and typed into the register. She handed me the money and I gave her a receipt and change. "Are you staying, Yuri?"

Yuri shook her head. "I gotta head down to the train station. It's somewhere close to Busan so I have to leave now before I miss it." She leaned over the counter to kiss me. "Wish me luck!"

"YOu'll be fine," I said reassuringly.

"He-ey!" Sunhwa cried aloud. "Two lovebirds in the hood!" She waved her arms in the air and began jamming to her own personal song.

"Stop it, you idiot!" Sunny lightly punched her in the ribs. "You're disturbing the peace."

"Well, they were too!" Sunhwa protested. "Kissing in public when Jessica shoudl be working! And some people don't like to see people the lips off each other! Hashtag RUDE AND DISRESPECTFUL!"

"just shut up, you're so annoying," Sunny grumbled. She shoved the cup of Fany's order at her. "Come on, make use of yourself."

I smiled at their pointless argument and wiped down the counter. 

"How's your sister?" Tiffany suddenly asked me.

I gave her a look. "Why? Am I her keeper? Go ask her yourself? You said you had her number, right?"

Tiffany rolled her eyes. "You're her sister, stupid."

"Well, it's not my business what she does, is it?" I hissed. "Look, we can talk about his later, but not now."

Tiffany narrowed her eyes at me. "Sica, what the hell is your problem? How can you be so kind to us, but so hostile and nasty at the same time?"

"I told you we could talk later," I persisted. "Leave me alone. I'm working."

I was glad Sunny and Sunhwa were still arguing. It would have been really embarassing if they heard what Tiffany had just said to me.

 

Tiffany didn't even give me a chance to take off the apron and name tag. She dragged me to her car, and we sat down in silence.

"Jessica, I still don't understand why you hate her so!" Tiffany spat. "What has she done that's so wrong?"

"Tch!" I scoffed. "So what do you care? What she's doing wrong is believing our father, and just simply being alive!"

"So you're saying she doesn't deserve to live?" Tiffany questioned.

"No! Yes...I," I started to falter. What in the world was I trying to say? "Look, she just needs to stay away!"

Tiffany sighed. "You're not even trying, Jess."

I felt my blood boil with rage. Who did she think she was, telling me how to take care of my sister? "What?! You don't know her either!" I growled. "I didn't even ask for this! I don't even know why I let you talk me into this crap!"

"I didn't. I was just telling you so that you wouldn't look back and regret anything." She was eerily calm.

I looked at her. "What are you getting at, Fany?"

"I saw you sister," she said.

"yeah, so?" I demanded with annoyance. "What did she say?"

"Nothing, actually. I didn't talk with her. I just saw her." 

Tiffany was being too mysterious and annoying. 

"Where?" I demanded.

"On the street. A couple nights ago. Actually, I saw her walking by herself for the last two days. Don't you think it's pretty late for a 16-year-old to be walking home alone?" She leaned closer to me, eyes narrowed with suspicion. "Did you even wonder where she might have been?"

"Of course I did! Who do you think I am!?" I spat. "What the hell was she doing?"

"Looked like she was studying," Tiffany said. 

"She was probably doing something secret," I grumbled. "Something illegal..."

"yeah, right!" Tiffany bellowed. "YOu know what? Fricking---! I've had it with you and your stupid excuses to hate her!" She put her hands on my shoulders to make me face her. "Face it, Jess! You have absolutely no reason to hate your sister! You're just distancing yourself from her!"

I pushed her off. "I didn't ask for your opinion, idiot!" I snapped. "Stay out of my business!"

"You're scared, Jessica," Tiffany snarled. "You keep trying to make yourself seem like the victim so that people will come and feel sorry for you. You only feel strong when people stand by your side. Well, you know what? For sure, I'm not standing by your side on this one. This is stupid!"

I felt stung and absolutely offended. "Me? I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me!"

"Oh yeah? Then you should stop moping about something that's passed for over ten years!" Tiffany retorted. "You've been living in the past for too long, you idiot! Look to the future! There's a light waiting for you at the end of the tunnel, but you have to move on, you dumb freak!" 

"And you're not the only one who's been hurt either," Tiffany continued. "I already told you this before. Your sister has had to deal with you and your , and your father's , and her whole life! ALONE!" She threw her hands in the air. "Perhaps she doesn't show it because she's better at hiding it than you, but she's had to live every single day with that drinking bastard! And YOU DIDN'T CARE!"

"SHUT UP!" I snapped, tears threatening to spill out. "You don't understand! Stop trying to make me look like I'm the one hurting Soojung!"

"That's just what you've done," Tiffany growled. "All you cared about was yourself, you selfish vixen. Open your eyes, stupid! You can't keep holding on to the past anymore! Your'e freaking almost 22!"

"So what do you want me to do?" I asked irritably, and rubbed my face.

"Are you kidding?"  Tifany cried. "What do want you to do? It's what you want to do and whether or not you want to live miserably for the rest of your life."

"I don't need you to tell me what I'm going through!" I spat. "I don't want your opinions, I don't want your help, and I don't want you to get mixed up between me and Krystal!"

"Fine," Tiffany said. "I trust you'll do the right thing, Jess. But if you decide to take the dark path, I might just take Krystal myself."

I remembered Yuri had said something like that. 

"Fine!" I was still fuming. "Take her if you want! You can have her if her father REALLY doesn't come back! I don't care!"

"Ok. I gotta run, Jess. See you."

I got out of her car, still angry, and I watched her disappear down the street. "Stupid, stupid, Fany," I growled. "Stay out of my business."

So what if she saw Krystal on the streets last night? So what if Krystal was better at hiding her emotions? And so what if Fany was willing to take Krystal in?

I grumpily walked back to my car. I needed to cool off somewhere. 

 

The bartender poured me a shot of hard liquor, and I drained it down. I felt the bitter liquid burn its way down my throat and settle in my stomach. I hissed and pushed the shot glass at him for more. 

"Miss, I don't think you should take anymore," he said with concern.

"Whatever, Minho," I said, my words not really clear. "Just gimme another shot..."

"Um..."

"Come on!"

Minho poured me only half the glass. "Sorry, but I can't. Six shot's way too much for you."

I just downed it and slammed it on the counter. The argument with Fany kept replaying in my mind. I leaned on the counter, my head in my hands. "YOu know nothing, Fany," I muttered.

"YOu know nothing about Soojung!" Tiffany's voice countered in my mind. "You never gave her the chance--you're not even giving yourself a chance!...Stop assuming!"

Soojung...Soojung, I thought, What have I done?

My mind replayed the memory of blood spilling from where I'd hurt her.

You little freak...my little sister...

"Stop moping about something that's passed over ten years!" Tiffany's voice echoed. "You can't keep holding on to the past!"

I just wanted Soojung. Fany was right. I had pushed her away because I was afraid. I was afraid to lose something I loved the most. I was afraid to get hurt. I wasn't strong. I was weak.

I wasn't sure if I was thinking right now or if that was the alchohol uprooting secrets that even I didn't know.Now I didn't care about mother's disappearance, father's lies...I just wanted to forget the past, erase it all...

All I wanted was Soojung.

I needed her.

 

-----------------------------------

Was this too fast? Sorry if it is, but hey! I updated, and it's the longest I've ever written! :3

A lot can happen within a week, eh?

Anyway, I hope you guys liked this chapter! I was on the bus today, and I was kind of spacing and well, that's where this chapter came from. Please let me know what you thought, or if you just have anything to say! Anything is welcome...as long as you're not mean lol.  :)

Wonder what's going with Krystal, huh?

Well we'll see! Maybe tomorrow! wink wink 

Please comment and subscribe! Upvote if you liked it! 

Have a great day and take care!

<3