Chapter 11

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Jessica POV*

I sat pensively on the benches in the hallway outside the surgical room. It was 12AM.

The doctor had taken her to get her scanned and stuff to check out what was going on with her and her vision. While we were in the car, the color seemed drained from her face, and she was leaning over as if she were in pain or something.

Tiffany had just arrived at the hospital and she joined me as the doctor neared.

The doctor had reported finding a strange growth in her brain which seeemed to be impacting her eyes. "We don't know how much damage it has caused to her brain so we will perform surgery immediately. Are you her family?"

I nodded. "I'm her sister."

He handed me a clipboard. "Sign here." As soon as I scribbled my signature, he took it back and told me I could wait outside in the hallway, and that I would be notified about anything. "Her vision may have the potential to be recovered, but until we have performed the surgery we won't know for sure."

"Jess!" Tiffany came back from getting us some coffee. She sat down beside me and handed me a cup.

I took it gratefully and sipped the hot liquid. The bitter-sweet taste filled my mouth and I swallowed. I wasn't tired anyway. I was too worried.

Tiffany seemed to sense my discomfort. She put an arm around my shoulder. "Don't worry, Jess," she said reassuringly. "Your sister will be fine. I know it!"

"If anything happens, it's my fault," I sighed with defeat.

Tiffany squeezed my shoulder. "Pull yourself together, girl. This isn't your fault. You can't control what happened."

"She's blind, Tiffany!" I cried.

"You don't know that," she argued. "He said they may be able to recover her vision!"

"But maybe not," I said quietly. "Oh, Fany, what am I going to do?"

"About the bill?"

"NO!" I snapped. "Soojung!"

"Alright, sorry, sorry," Tiffany said defensively. "Seriously, Jess. Calm down. Let's wait for the doctor to come back, ok? There's no use worrying now. We have to be strong."

"How can I?" I demanded. "What if I lose her too?"

"You won't!" Tiffany snapped. "Jess, wake up, you idiot! You're not going to lose her!"

Just then there was the sound of lightbulb above the surgery room turning off. The door opened and the doctor walked out. He had a poker face on so I wasn't sure if there was good or bad news.

"Ms. Jung," he said and looked at me with a smile. 

"Is...is she ok?" I asked nervously.

"Fine, she's absolutely fine," he said. "She's healthy as a bean now."

I heaved a sigh of relief.

 

*Narrator POV*

"There was a tumor in her brain," he said. "Luckily, it was benign so it's not cancerous. However, it was a rather large tumor about an inch in size, so it was causing discomfort to her brain which is probably why she was suffering head pains if any."

"She'll be ok right?" jessica asked worriedly.

The doctor gave her a solemn look. "She'll be fine, but the tumor has been in there too long. It's completely damaged her optic nerve and caused detachment of the retina in one eye. We have had it removed already to avoid any other damage to her eye and brain."

"H-her eye?" Jessica questioned.

"Yes, unfortunately it was too late for one of her eyes," he replied. "It's done enough damage that it cannot be fixed. She will not be able to recover her vision. However, the other eye seems to be from a different issue. It's been clouded up and coincidentally gave out at the same time. We would have to replace her cornea with a new one from a donor." He began to scribble something. "I advise you wait for Krystal to completely recover from this surgery, and allow her some time to get used to the blindness."

Jessica's heart beat wildly at the terrible news. "She won't...won't see again?"

"Well, there is a chance you may be able to save the other eye, but..." he said. "If you like I can-"

"No, no," she said in a daze as she watched Krystal from the window dividing them ."It's fine."

"I'll keep a look out anyway. There may be something somewhere."

She was barely listening. Remorse and regret echoes around her mind. She had pushed her sister away for so long...she never thought this would ever happen.

"Soojung, I'm sorry," she whispered as tears fell from her eyes.

Even if they found a donor, they could never afford it...or even if they coud and it was unsuccessful....

She won't ever see me again, she thought bitterly. And it's all my fault.

"If you want to see her, I can give you the room number. Just go to the reception desk and ask for your sister's name, and give her this paper." He looked at Tiffany. "They only let in family members after hours."

Tiffany shrugged. "I'm cool with it. Just tell me how she's doing, Sica." She started to leave. "Look, I'd like to stay, Sica, but I gotta get going. I'll be back tomorrow."

Jessica nodded absentmindedly, and Tiffany left.

The doctor put a hand on Jessica's shoulder to comfort her. "Don't worry about a thing. Be glad your sister is still alive. If the tumor had been allowed to grow any bigger, the blood veins in her brain could have been ruptured, and that would be a very very bad thing."

She nodded. "Th-thanks," she managed to say.

"Your sister probably won't wake up for about a day. She needs to sleep off the anesthesia," he told her, and patted her shoulder. "I'd like to keep her here for a week to make sure that it was absolutely nothing. Go on and see her. Who knows? Maybe she'll wake up sooner than I anticipate. I'm sure she'll be glad to see you."

"Y-yeah," Jessica agreed weakly.

She wasn't so sure about that.

 

Jessica arrived at the reception desk. She gave the slip of paper to the lady and asked for her sister's name. The lady smiled at her and told her which way to go in the many winding hallways of the hospital.

She passed by nurses and doctors rushing to rooms, some patients were sitting in their rooms, others freaking out, and complaining. Jessica had never gone into a hospital like this. The most she ever went was the waiting room.

Someone whistled at her as she passed by, but she ignored it. She needed to see her sister.

48D.

Jessica took in a breath and looked through the blinds in the window. She saw her sister sleeping in the white sheets of the hospital bed. 

Soojung, she smiled sadly.

She looked so peaceful in her sleep...just like when she was asleep on the couch.

Jessica entered the room, quietly shutting the door before going over to her sister. She pulled up a chair and sat close to the bedside. 

Krystal had a needle taped to her arm, which was for the IV drip. The heart monitor beeped rhythmically, indicating that Krystal was in a healthy condition. She was hooked to other wires that Jessica couldn't identify. Jessica could see the place the doctors had opened up to remove the tumor.

Jessica slowly reached her hand over to hold Krystal's hand in hers. She it gently with a thumb. "Soojung," she said softly. "I'm so sorry." She held her sister's hand against her cheek as a tear fell from her eye. The teardrop ran down Krystal's arm and was absorbed by the sleeve of the hospital gown Krystal was wearing. "It's all my fault."

The older girl gently put her sister's hand back down, and caressed Krystal's cheek with one hand. Krystal stirred a little bit, but didn't wake up. Jessica sighed and her cheek gently with a thumb. "It's all my fault because I was selfish, Soojung," she continued talking to nobody. "Because I was a coward."

Jessica leaned on the side of the bed and traced her sister's facial features gently. "You're so pretty, you dummy," she murmured. She leaned in to press a gentle kiss to her sister's cheek. As she was about to pull away, she felt Krystal grab onto her wrist. Jessica looked down with surprise and attempted to gently pry her fingers off, but Krystal unconsciously held persistently onto her hand.

Jessica smiled a little bit and let it be. She fixed the frizzy loose hairs on her sister's head and her head as if her sister were a cat.

She looked at the clock just as it struck 2AM.

She rested her head in her arm and drew circles on her sister's hand with her thumb.

"I love you, Soojung," Jessica whispered.

 

*Krystal POV*

I was feeling really groggy when I woke up. It must be the next day.

All I remembered was all the doctors shuffling around, and then the pinch in my arm when they drugged me with that sleeping stuff. Too bad I couldn't see. It would have been cool to see all the equipment and stuff.

I felt kind of stiff. I wanted to stretch, but I suddenly realized that there was someone else here. Someone was holding my hand, and I could feel the tickly feeling of someone's head hair prickling my arm. Why is it so dark? I wondered to myself.

Then, I remembered that I'd lost my vision, and that I was most likely and not-even-funny-legally blind. 

And also that my sister unexpectedly appeared at the right moment. I was too scared about what was happening at that moment to realize that she was holding me and everything she hadn't wanted us to do before. 

I just wanted to sleep right now, and I was about to when the person with me shifted and grunted. He or she my head a couple times.

Then I heard the door open.

"Oh, hello Ms. Jung," it was probably the doctor. It sounded like one too.

Ms. Jung? Who? My mind was still kind of fuzzy so I was a bit slow.

"How's she doing?" he asked, and I heard his approaching footsteps. "awake yet?"

I heard him pressing buttons and tinkering around with the equipment. I heard him scribble with a pen, and then make a smacking noise with his mouth. "you were here all night. You two must be close."

What the heck was he talking about?

"Y-eah," I heard a familiar voice say kind of warily.

Jessica? 

"Well, you need some rest. I advise you to call up your friend to take you home. Your sister will be safe here." I heard the swish of his coat as he left.

I felt my sister my cheek gently, and then...she kissed my cheek again!

But it was really warm, and kind of comfortable. My stupid mind wanted her to cuddle me, but I refrained from that. Or at least I tried. Stupid anesthesia, making me all tipsy and dumb.

"Unnie," I said quietly.

She continued my head. She didn't say anything about me calling her that. Was she ignoring me? Or maybe she didn't mind? But we're in a hospital so maybe she didn't want to make a scene about it. But what's there to argue about?

"Soojung, go back to sleep," she said gently. She was talking in a voice I had never ever heard her use with me before! It was a great contrast from the usual bitter and angry tone from before.

"You need to sleep too," I protested.

I guess the anesthesia was making me bolder than usual. I had never tried to protest her in a while...ever since the day I tried to ask her what I did wrong.

I was scared of her...well, supposed to...

I wasn't sure what expression she was wearing on her face. I wish I wasn't blind!

"I...I'm sorry, Jessi-" I started to say, but she cut me off by kissing my cheek...AGAIN!

WHAT THE HECK-ATTACK IS GOING ON?

I flinched a little bit, startled by this intimate act of...affection?

She doesn't hate you, Tiffany's words echoed, She's just struggling right now...when she sees you, she sees something else...

Is this what Tiffany meant? But what did Tiffany mean by the other points to defend Jessica's actions towards me?

How confusing...

I never knew my sister could be so straightforward with this kind of stuff. Does she do this with Yuri?

I was too tired to ponder the thought anymore so I let myself fall asleep, hoping and not hoping that this was a dream. I also wasn't too sure how to act around my sister now that so much has happened between us and Tiffany and Yuri.

------------------------------------

Hello friends! Um...this is a shorter update than most, i think. I read you guys' comments, and well...haha! what did you think of this chapter? Is it what you expected? I hope it was alright.  :)

I will update most likely Friday if not tomorrow