Chapter 25 pt. 1

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Narrator POV*

"Ahh! Brother!" Uncle Jung cried. "So you came after all!" He checked his watch. "Well, looks like I miscalculated her arrival time!" He smiled so hard it was easy to tell he was faking the pleasant expression. "Guess you'll have to come back tomorrow!"

Mr. Jung glared at him. "Look, I wasted my time to come here. I can always see her myself! Why must you always insist?"

Uncle Jung cocked one eyebrow and smirked. "HAH! Without me, you could never see her! She hates you! You see, little brother, I have to show her what she owes me after all this. I must show her that what I have to offer is much better, and that she must be the new director of my branch in Seoul." He laughed nastily. "How else can she possibly pay me back for what I've given her?"

"Wait! She was never part of the deal! It was between you and me!" Mr. Jung argued.

"Ah, well that's where you're wrong," Uncle Jung said triumphantly. "She has progressed so much, and I think it's fair that she give back to her good ol' uncle, who has given her all that you couldn't." He picked up his new shot glass and inspected the auburn liquid sitting in the clear glass. "She's the ideal business woman. Smart, Intelligent, ambitious, beautiful--anything a man or woman could want in a candidate for courtship."

"Hey!" Mr. Jung said sharply. "I don't like hearing you talk about my daughter like that!" His evil adoptive brother was changing the ballgame.

"Ah, you poor simple-minded people." Uncle Jung clicked his tongue with mock sympathy. "You fail to undersatnd the importance of business. After all-" he smirked at him. "-you're a failed businessman."

Mr. Jung grit his teeth and felt his neck hairs rising with anger and annoyance.

"Anyway, this'll be the last time you'll be seeing sweet sweet Jung Sooyeon."

"This is a violation of familial rights!" Mr. Jung growled. "She is my blood, so I am entitled to--"

"SHUT UP!" Uncle Jung downed the shot and smashed the glass on the floor into a thousand shining pieces. "Look, you ing bastard, I don't give a about ing blood or ing familial rights!" He sneered revealing alcohol tainted teeth. "You see, you already lost, little brother."

He smirked. "Now why don't you tell me what you've done with the other little scrap. Hm?" He got up and withdrew another shot glass from a fancy piece of furniture. "Where have you put her?" He poured himself a bourbon.

Mr. Jung felt like a rottweiler being cornered by a dog catcher. He couldn't let his younger daughter get caught in this mess. He knew Krystal was strong, but he didn't know what kind of things his adoptive brother could do to her. "It's none of your business. You've already ruined enough of my life. I've done my part of the deal, and you should be content about it."

"Oh my!" Uncle Jung held a hand to his chest as if it were a shocker. "How considerate of you!" He leaned up close to Mr. Jung, alcohol breath and all. "Unfortunately, business changes, people change, circumstances change, and so do my decisions!" He guffawed nastily and tipped the shot to his lips, the burning liquid entering his mouth.

"You're stupid!" Mr. Jung snarled. "You--" His face was met with alcohol.

He wiped his face with a hand, gasping with shock and anger. His brother had spat alcohol into his face.

Uncle Jung laughed maniacally. "Foolish brother. I'm afraid the ball is in my hands now. You have nothing, ergo-" he sniggered. "-you can do nothing."

He waved his hand in the air to dismiss Mr. Jung. "Go away. I'm tired of seeing your face. I expect you to be here tomorrow morning for a wonderful family reunion with your daughter...minus the other one, wherever she is." He whipped around and fixed him with crazy shining eyes. "But I highly doubt your precious little Jung Sooyeon will care. She hates every fiber of you and that pitiful little puppy of yours."

Mr. Jung ignored him and continued out the door.

"I'll find out what you did that streetdog!" Uncle Jung screeched after him. "Perhaps we can tame her...and turn her into a good pet for my household! HAHA-!"

Mr. Jung had slammed the door shut. "ing ," he growled. "He just doesn't know when enough's enough." He made sure she was a ways away from his brother's big mansion before he roared with frustration. "Sooyeon, you better not say anything about your sister!"
 

*Jessica POV*

The new old chauffeur pulled the chair out for me at the very finely set table. For the three years I'd been away, I had forgotten how filthy rich my uncle and aunt liked to display things at home. This wasn't even a museum, or a five star hotel in NYC.

But, this was a mansion actually...

I couldn't remember how I had lived like that for so long. I actually much preferred the way I was living in Seoul to this. It was simpler.

The table was set on top of a fine white table cloth. Uncle was sitting at the head of the table while mother sat on his right side and Jiyeon beside. I was sitting in his left. This seating arrangement was unusual because I recalled that Auntie would sit on the other side of table across from Uncle. I would be sitting next to Jiyeon on father's right, and the two boy cousins would be sitting on his left. But I guess, since they weren't here, they changed it up like this.

At least I wouldn't have to sit next to Jiyeon anymore.

"Ah!" Uncle sighed with content. "This has been a long time coming."

He raised his glass of wine in his right hand. "To my wonderful neice, Jessica, who has always been just like a daughter to me. And to my new branch of business that will be opening in Seoul." 

Auntie joined him and Jiyeon did too with her glass of water. They were waiting for me to join them.

I reluctantly joined them.

"Cheers!" Auntie exclaimed as we all clinked glasses.

Honestly, I wasn't really thrilled about anything here. I just wanted to get whatever business he wanted to discuss overwith.

I watched as they started to serve themselves the food sitting on the large platters. For some reason, I didn't feel very comfortable like I used. Well, I wasn't usually here since I was in a boarding school, but for vacation I'd stay around if I wasn't back home at Seoul or if they wanted me to meet someone. It wasn't because I was overwhelmed, but after seeing Krystal again, things just didn't click for me here. Perhaps returning here as an adult changed everything. I had seen more, experienced more--but not as much as Krystal had of course.

"Jessica, why aren't you eating?" Auntie asked. She was looking at me with overexaggerated concern written all in her eyes. "Are you feeling alright?"

I nodded. "I'm just tired." How could they expect me to be excited for something while I was jetlagged?

"Well, come on and eat!" Auntie cried as she began to pile food on my plate. "I had the chef cook the best!" She began to list the names of the foods, which were pretty much sugarcoated names of regular food anyone could have made. "You're too skinny!"

I thanked her for the food and ignored the last remark. Pasta, meat, salad...the usual nutrients on the pyramid.

Before I even had a chance to take a bite of the pasta, Auntie began to bombard me with questions. "So how have you been?" she asked. "With all that time away, something must have gone on! Tell us everything!"

I glanced at her before I put my attention back on the pasta I was about to eat. "I've just been busy." I started to lift the fork to my mouth.

"That makes me so proud," Auntie said. "You've been working so hard for this day!"

What day? I stopped and closed my mouth. "This day?" I questioned.

"Sweetheart, I told you this was to wait until after!" Uncle said irritably. "Jess, don't listen to her. It's not important right now." He gave his wife and Jiyeon a pointed look. Jessica began to pick up there was something they definitely were not telling her--like always...except this time, it might be a bit more serious. "Let's just enjoy this wonderful dinner our chef has prepared for us." He sipped his wine and chomped on a piece of meat.

Again, I attempted to take a bite of the pasta on my fork which had now gone cold.

"How's Yuri?" Jiyeon asked. "You still seeing her?" 

"Ah, yes!" Auntie said dreamily. "That wonderful girl. You've been going out for a while haven't you?"

I felt a rush of annoyance at them, but mostly Jiyeon. My relationship with Yuri was supposed to be a secret, but Jiyeon had found out. She'd stalked me on one of the dates, and she had blabbed about it to her friends, which reached their parents ears, which eventually reached Uncle and Auntie's ears. They didn't care, but I just didn't feel comfortable that they knew about it or my uality at that time.

"Actually," I said. "We broke up." I quickly shoved the pasta in my mouth knowing that if I didn't eat it now, I might never get a chance to later.

"Aww, why?" Jiyeon cried, while Auntie gasped and covered with her napkin.

"She just wasn't the one," I said after swallowing the food. It tasted bland to my taste buds. "Anyway, she's alright. She's gotten over it well."

"I hope you didn't break her heart," Auntie said. "I know you're a very emotional person."

She was talking about when I used to cry and get mad all the time because of father. I just wanted to be home with my family, but I couldn't of course. I was enrolled here, and father was busy with work and a baby he literally raised on his own since mother died.

"No, she's fine." I didn't want to talk about it anymore. I was glad there were such things as easy answers as to why we can end a relationship. She really wasn't the one for me, but I just thought she could replace what I couldn't have. Obviously, that didn't work out.

"Will you just let her eat?" Uncle cut in. "You can talk later."

I felt a bit relieved that he was giving me a chance to not have to talk. I don't know if it was the jetlag, or me, or the fact that I felt really uneasy here, but I wasn't quite hungry either.

But any excuse to save my breath was good enough for me, and free food.

Uncle began to babble about how his business was doing, the new employees, someone had just been promoted, and the business partner in Seoul that was giving him the wonderful opportunity to branch out all the way in South Korea. Jiyeon was exclaiming about some new thing she saw at her college she would be attending in the fall. Through it all, Auntie kept gushing and making overexaggerated remarks.

As we finished up dinner, Auntie tried to get me to talk again. "Jessie dear!" she cried. "You've been so quiet!" She smiled wide at me. "We're having tiramisu cake tonight! And your uncle has news for you!" 

That didn't make me feel any better.

Uncle glared at her. "That was supposed to be for tomorrow." 

The chef came out of the kitchen with a platter in hand. There was the tiramisu sitting on it. He set it before Uncle who served a piece to each of us.

To be honest, it looked like something you could get at the store, but hey, it was free here. It was better than nothing.

"So, Jess," Uncle started casually. "How's your sister?"

I stopped midbite of the cake. The sweet taste suddenly turned bitter in my mouth and I wanted to gag. "My sister?" I asked after swallowing. "What about her?"

"Well it's been awhile since you've seen her right?" he prompted. "And your father?"

This was strange. Why was he suddenly asking me about my family? I didn't know what to say.

"I heard she was sick," he said. "Your father came groveling over to me for money, but you know, being the sensible man I was, I didn't because he'd gone into alcohol. You know, I thought he was just trying to get me to give him money to buy more booze. But I guess I was wrong."

Sick? Perhaps I could find something out about my sister. "Sick with what?"

"Your father never said. She was just ill and he couldn't afford a doctor." He tsk-tsked and shook his head. "Poor man doesn't even know how bad he has it going. That poor girl..." He sighed and shook his head again as if it were so sad. "Lord knows how that girl turned out. Haven't heard much about her." He speared a piece of the cake with his fork and popped it into his mouth. "She must be somewhere hanging on the streets." He shook his head as if in disappointment.

No she's with me...

I had to keep my expression from changing into disgust at how he was talking about them, especially my sister.

"We've never met her have we?" Auntie pointed out. 

Uncle was staring at me. He was expecting me to say something, but I pretended I didn't notice. "I guess not. She was too young," I replied shortly. Too young to have to go through all that! I thought, still feeling upset that she was blind because no one, including myself, had cared.

"I heard your father had a business trip to be on?" he said instead.

I shrugged. It might be best not to say too much. "He mentioned something like that."

"Wonder what he did with the girl," he said. "He said he didn't take her with him."

I stopped as soon as he said that. "Did you talk to him?" I asked cautiously. Why did this sound like my uncle had talked with father recently?

"He's my brother," he said as if that were the answer. "I have to be there for him...even if he has turned for the worst." Sadness clouded his eyes and he sighed. "I pity the both of them."

It was fake. I knew he cared nothing about them. He only cared about something if it involved money or a beneficial gain for him, but I didn't see what he  could gain from knowing about my sister.

We finally finished the welcome home dinner to my relief, and everyone was ready to turn in for the night.

"Jess, we have much to discuss," Uncle said. "And you're in for an awfully wonderful surprise tomorrow." He grinned, eyes lighting up like that of a maniac's.

I nodded and tried to smile at them. They all smiled at me and I was left alone in the empty dining room. I sighed and checked my watch.

9:45PM.

--------------------------------

*Narrator POV*

Krystal entered a room that smelled like people. She felt Taeyeon's hand on her shoulder as she led her to a seat.

"It's just an intro for you new people," Taeyeon said. "I'll be right next to you the whole time."

Krystal nodded feeling oddly conscious of all the warm bodies surrounding her. Even if she couldn't see them, she felt like she could feel their auras all around, which would have been really cool, but it was really just that the room was warm. They really needed better ventilation.

Krystal had left before Sulli so she wasn't sure where she was at the moment. Sulli was really nice, very outgoing, and also really loud. It reminded Krystal of Amber except that Amber was not as loud. Amber was just a bit crazy and pleasantly annoying--to my sister and Tiffany-unnie that is, and Luna.

She wondered what happened to Luna-unnie? How was her vacation going? Maybe I should have asked Amber to say hi to her for me or something. she thought.

"Welcome students! Old and new!" a lady's voice rang over the speakers. "Welcome to Hongcheon School for the Blind! Here, you will meet other people from different backgrounds, with different stories! But we are all in this together. We're all in the same boat and we will bond together as our own family!"

The room roared with applause but for some reason, she didn't feel like the announcement sounded very pleasant. 

"First of all, let us welcome the new comers!" There was more applause but she didn't join them. This was kind of wierd. "I am Victoria Song, the director of this school. I and a few of my close friends opened this school up to help you young people adapt to this new life without your essential mechanisms of survival. For some of you, it may not be new, but for others you can expect to learn how to perform basic tasks and eventually become independent. That is why we have our staff and ambassadors to help you out. They will give you guidance and tips."

"So, if you are here for the two week program, we encourage you to consider becoming a full fledged member of the family and enroll for the regular school year. There are dorms available if you live too far from home, and tuition only requires housing and meal plan." There was a loud rustling of paper. "But without further ado, let us get to know one another. And then we will proceed with the activities for today."

"Hi!" someone beside her said cheerily. It was a male voice. "I'm Baekhyun!"

"Um...Krystal."

"Nice to meet you UmKrystal!" he said. "Are you new here?"

"Yeah. You?" She decided to correct him even though she thought he was probably just joking. "And it's just Krystal."

He laughed. "Ok, Justkrystal!" Oh well...Krystal thought, and Baekhyun continued talking. "I've been here a year already. I'm enrolled for the school too." She thought it was odd that he didn't sound upset. "But in vacation time, I go hang out with my grandparents. They live close to here, and they're really nice! They raised me from birth!"

"That's...nice," Krystal said. I never had anything like that! she thought to herself. She had always been on her own...well after her father took care of her, which was until she finished intermediate school. She never knew anyone in her family except father and Jessica.

"So you're here to learn the ropes huh?" he said. "Everyone's got a different story. Firecracker exploded in my face. That's how I got like this."

Krystal gasped. "Did it hurt?"

"Hell yeah! But I passed out after it exploded in my face. It hurt when I woke up. They couldn't fix my eyes."

Baekhyun never had a chance to ask her about her situation because Victoria brought them all back together. "I hope you've met a new person today! I believe we're all going to get along fine!"

Taeyeon squeezed her shoulder. "I told you! you're gonna be great here!"

"We'll be splitting off to tour the school..."

"Come on," Taeyeon took her shoulder again.

 

At around noontime, all the students were seated in the dining hall. Krystal didn't know who she was sitting with since Taeyeon had gone to get her lunch and she was put in another group away from Baekhyun. There were about five other people in her group and they all introduced themselves including herself, but she didn't really remember their names. But coincidentally, Sulli happened to be in her group. 

"Hi, Krystal!" she heard someone say. "It's me again! Sulli!"

Funny, Krystal thought. Was this luck or coincidence? Actually Sulli somehow managed to be around her the whole tour, and during one of the dumb activities where you'd have to visualize what they were describing.

Krystal had thought it was a waste of time. It wasn't really an activity either. It was like storytime at kindergarten. But then she found out it was to help them get around in case their partnered staff member wasn't around, so then she started listening again.

So now, Krystal was sitting with Sulli at the table and unsure how to eat because she didn't really know where everything was. She remembered Jessica would help her around a bit.

Taeyeon finally came back and sat down next to Krystal. "They didn't have mashed potatoes!" she cried with annoyance. 

"Anyway," Taeyeon recovered from her outburst. "I'm just gonna warn you that the food here is probably not as good as homecooking--"

"Don't badmouth your own job!" Sulli cut in playfully. "The stuff here's good!"

"Maybe for you, but not me!" Taeyeon said cheerily. Then she went on to tell Krystal what she had on her plate and to think of it like a clock. She told Krystal where everything was on the "clock" and helped her find the utensils to use.

One bite and Krystal immediately agreed with Taeyeon.

"Unnie's cooking was better," she mumbled through the over flavored food.

------------------------------------

Jessica woke up bright and late. She still felt tired and she rolled over in the bed.

There was a loud knocking at her door, and she wondered why there was someone else in her apartment. The only other person here was Krystal and...

"Miss Jessica!" the old new chauffeur called. "Your father is awaiting your presence in his study!"

Jessica furrowed her eyebrows. Why is there an old man in my apartment? And father is never here...

"Your Uncle doesn't like to be kept waiting!"

Jessica growled and got up feeling annoyed that she wasn't allowed to sleep more and in her own apartment! But then she realized she wasn't home. Krystal wasn't beside her and this was not her own room. She had completely forgotten where she was.

Jessica opened the door after fixing her hair, which had become messy and ruffled. "Tell him I'll be there," she said when the chauffeur greeted her.

"My, you are much prettier in the morning!" he complimented and winked.

She didn't say anything but shut the door in his face. Gross...

After Jessica refreshed herself and changed into clothes for the new day, the chauffeur, who had been creepily waiting outside her door led her to her father's study. "Your Uncle has been quite excited for your arrival," the chauffeur explained. "He said that this could not have been a better time."

 The chauffeur opened the door for her and she walked into the study, which was pretty much a big room with rows of bookshelves on the sides of the walls, and a big window overlooking the ocean view behind her uncle's desk.

"Ah, Jessica!" Uncle cried and stood up. He nodded at the chauffeur to dismiss him. "I hope you rested well after that long flight." He led her to sit in a chair at his desk across from him.

"Yes, thanks," she said.

"Good." He put away some papers and pens into his drawer. "Now as you remember, we have a lot of business to discuss."

Jessica looked at him. "What...kind...of business?" she asked him warily.

He smiled. "I am so proud and excited to say this!" He leaned forward on the desk. "I have decided--and I'm sure you will agree--that you will be the new director of my new branch in Seoul."

Jessica just blinked. "Me?" 

"yes! Isn't that great news?"

But I wasn't planning to do that! she thought. "Well, actually--"

"You don't have to agree now," Uncle said. "But I'm sure after I've given you some time to think, you will accept it readily."

Jessica opened to argue, but then Uncle smiled real big. "Ah! Yes! The surprise!" He looked at her. "I almost forgot." He smiled so that his eyes crinkled.  "Well, Jess, I suppose you've been wondering what kind of surprise I was talking about huh?"

That had completely slipped her mind. "Uh...sure."

He laughed. "I'm sure it will give you great joy to know that this will be the last time you'll ever cross paths with him!"

Him? What the heck was he talking about? Jessica looked at him with confusion.

"Welcome, my brother," Uncle Jung said.

Brother?!?! Jessica immediately whipped around in her seat and her eyes widened when she met eyes with the last person she had never expected to see.

Uncle Jung smiled craftily. This is going to be absolutely...beautiful. Unknown to the rest of the room, Uncle sneakily pulled out a small audio recorder from his pants pocket and hid it with his pens holder.

 

----------------------------------

Hi! guess what? I updated earlier than I planned!! YAY! 

Anyway, if you're reading the other fanfics that are in progress, I cannot guarantee fast updates. It might be a while but I just wanted you to know that I haven't forgotten about them. I just don't know what to happen next, but I've started writing a bit for Desolation and Wings of Freedom. Please be patient and thanks for your support!

Well have a good weekend, and take care!! i have a big test, but enjoy this until I update next week!

<3

also I've been listening to this cover: 'Just a Dream' by Nelly-cover by Christina Grimmie and Sam Tsui. I actually found it a while ago and way after it was put up on Youtube. I don't know if you've ever listened to it, but I thought the cover was nice.. :)