Chapter 12

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Jessica POV*

I sat a little more with Krystal until I was sure she was asleep again. I guess the anesthesia still had its effect on her. I hadn't expected her to talk to me since most of the time she seemed to be frightened of me. Also, to my confusion and surprise, she didn't say anything about not being able to see. She was probably too sleepy from the anesthesia to even spaz about it.

I was actually most surprised when she called me 'unnie' because I suddenly had a warm feeling tingling all through my body. I almost felt like a happy puppy when it knows it's about to go out and play.

I her cheek one more time, and I took her chin between my thumb and forefinger to tilt her face towards me. I her cheeks with both my thumbs, inching closer with one thumb to the corner of so that I barely touched her lips. I closed my eyes, and leaned in closer to her until the sides of our noses brushed each other. My heart beat a little quicker as I fantasized about what I could have done at that moment, but I pulled away.

What am I doing? I scolded myself. She's your sister! Don't scare her away! It was a good thing she was sleeping.

I sat back in my chair while I watched her. Maybe Tiffany was right that she didn't hate me, but how was I going to make up for everything I'd done to her?

"I'll be back, Soojung," I said and kissed above her eyebrow.

As I closed the door to the room, I felt arms from behind me wrap around my waist. "Sica, are you alright?" I heard Yuri asked.

I jumped, a little surprised to see that she was here after that argument. "Yeah, I'm fine thanks." I removed her hands from around me so I could look at her. "What are you doing here?"

"Fany told me what happened," she replied. "And I wanted to apologize about the other day."

"Oh," I said and put a hand on my neck. "It's fine, honestly. I shouldn't have snapped."

"Well, in anyway, we can talk it over later. I just came to bring you back home. Tiffany dropped me off so I'm driving your car." She my head gently, and I felt kind of uncomfortable for some reason.

I tried to smile at her. "Then let's go."

On the way back home, I didn't really feel like I could rest. Yuri was driving with one hand on the wheel and the other holding my hand. I believe it was supposed to be reassuring, but it didn't really help much anyway. I felt as if there was a cold heavy stone in my chest, and I didn't know what to do about it. The closer we got to my apartment, the worse it became.

Yuri walked me inside my unit and she made something for me to eat. She was still being nice so I was thankful for that.

 

"How's your sister?" Yuri asked.

We were sitting on the couch and drinking warm tea.

"She's ok. She had a tumor in her brain," I replied as I sipped the steaming drink

Yuri's eyes widened with shock. "Oh my...really?"

I nodded. "She's blind, Yuri. She can't see because her eyes are damaged badly."

Yuri put an arm around my shoulders. "It'll be ok, Jess."

I shook my head. "How can I forgive myself? It's all my fault that this happened. No one cared about her when she needed it. The tumor was already there for a long time!"

"She would have said something, though, right? She should have if it was bad!" Yuri tried to persuade me.

"Or maybe she was too scared to do anything about it," I grumbled. "I was being a jerk to her. And they didn't have enough money to even try to get her into the doctor's office!"

"Sica, but....how are you going to pay for the doctor fees?" Yuri asked me as if I hadn't thought about it, which I hadn't, but I already had the answer.

"The money from father," I said. "And I'm stable enough anyway. I'm on that scholarship at school so that's covered."

"But...Jess there's more factors than just that," Yuri persisted. "What are you going to do with her now that she's blind?"

I looked at her. "What?" I knew that there were going to be a few complications especially since Krystal had lost an essential aspect of living, but I was more worried about her in the present state...and about how she would feel about being disabled.

"You can't possibly be thinking of keeping her now. She's literally like a baby without her eyes now!" Yuri exclaimed. 

"This again?" I sighed and put the tea on the table. "I'm tired. I don't want to think about it right now."

Yuri looked down and tucked a lock of hair behind my ear. "I'm just worried about you, that's all." She kissed my cheek, and tried to press her lips against mine, but I moved away.

"Thanks for bringing me back, Yuri," I said. "I think I'm gonna sleep." I started to stand up, but she pulled me back down onto the sofa. She pinned me down and leaned over me. Her eyes were filled with such intensity and I was too shocked by her action to think about anything. 

"Sica," she whispered and my cheek with the back of her hand. 

Then she pressed her lips against mine. I wanted to push her away, but I didn't have the strength--emotionally, physically, and mentally--to even try. I let myself go, and the kiss became more hungry and desperate. Her tongue probed between my lips and I allowed her to explore my mouth, tasting and deepening the kiss.

She started to kiss down my neck, biting and at my skin. I bit back a moan as her hands slipped under my shirt and caressed my skin.

Yuri lifted my shirt and kissed from my chest all the way down to where I was starting to feel wet and more sensitive. My breathing became heavier as she started to all my sensitive areas.

"S-Soo---Yuri," I murmured/moaned. 

"Sica, I'll make you mine right now," Yuri said huskily in my ear as she started to slip her fingers into me.

My eyes suddenly snapped open and I panicked. "S-stop!" I cried out, and struggled away from her. "Please, Yuri, stop!"

Yuri tried to force herself on me, but she seemed to sense my desperation to escape after a while. She let me go, and I clung to the end of the sofa, thoughts running through my head, and wondering why I declined her advances.

"Look, I think you should go," I said, my heart beating rapidly with nervousness.

"I...I'm sorry, Sica,"Yuri mumbled. "Make sure you rest." She wanted to lean down and kiss me, but I pushed her off.

"Just go." I heard the door slam closed, and I got up to lock it.

I let out a heavy sigh, and leaned my back against the door. I almost let her have with me. The thought was disgusting and disturbing.

But the most disturbing thing was that I had been thinking of Krystal the whole time, and imagining having her lips on mine, her hands caressing my body, and....

I shook my head. "Idiot!" I scolded myself. "You can't think about her like that!"

I picked up the clothes that I had been stripped of and went to go take a long needed shower. I felt dirty, not just because I spent the whole night with Krystal, but I felt that Yuri's attempts to make me hers was just disgusting.

I let the water stream down my face and the water fall down my body. It felt good, especially after all that had just happened. I was so worried, and stressed about Soojung. At least she was still alive, but Yuri was right about one thing. How was I going to take care of her once she's released from the hospital?

Who said I was going to do it? I suddenly asked myself.

I tried to clear my mind of the troubles and I hit the sack as soon as I finished.

------------------------------

We were back in the old house before father lost all his money. I was sobbing in my bed and Krystal was standing there trying to ask me what was wrong.

"Unnie..." she touched my shoulder and I lashed out at her, drawing blood.

"S-Soojung, I'm sorry," I looked at her in horror as blood dripped down her cheek.

I wanted to go and clean it off for her, and comfort her. I started to go, but then Tiffany barged in and fussed over her. 

The both of them completely ignored me. As they left, I suddenly felt like there was a deep dark pit of emptiness within me.

"Soojung....don't go." I clutched a hand to my chest. I felt heavy and so alone.

Don't go....

 

I woke up from that bad dream to the sound of my phone ringing persistently. It must be Yuri, I thought, probably wanting to apologize.

However, I was completely wrong. It was someone I had long forgotten about as soon as I'd left California.

"Jess, it's me! Your uncle!"

I was too shocked to even say anything. I sat there with the phone against my ear, and mouth open.

"Jess? How are you?" he asked. "It's been a while...two or three years, right? Jess, are you still there?"

I cleared my throat and tried to think. "U-um, yeah, hi."

"Oh, great!" he exclaimed. "Anyway, it's been so long since we last spoke. We're actually going over to visit! You know, your father!"

"Oh," was all I managed to say. "When?"

"In about two months maybe? My business is a lot to manage at the moment. I'll be so glad when you come back from your studies."

Help him? I wasn't planning on going back!

"Well, actually," I started to say.

"I can't wait to see my brother again. It'll be a grand reunion, and I'll finally get to meet your sister. See you soon!"

"Wait!" I cried, but he hung up.

I slammed my phone down. It was a good thing I slammed it down onto the cushiony mattress of my bed  or I would have broken it. I had been hoping to get out of contact with him and that family. They were annoying, and even worse than my own father. They were nice enough to pay for my school, but they were a superficial bunch. 

It was 5:30PM.

I decided to go back and see my sister. Maybe she would be sober this time, and...what would we do? We've never had a full conversation before, and she was probably going to think I would bash her for this. 

I went to my closet to grab a pair of jeans and a button up shirt. That was my go-to outfit,  besides jeans and an A&F shirt, when I was in a rush for something. This wasn't an emergency or anything, but I was anxious to see her. How was she going to react when she finds out she's going to be blind for life?

I grabbed my things and left the apartment. As I was about to start the car, I saw an envelope in the side pocket of the door. It had been on the floor when I found Krystal the other day. It had her name on it, but who was it from. I knew I shouldn't open it. It was for her, but how was she going to read it.

My curiosity got the best of me and I opened it. There was a folded piece of stock paper inside, and I started to read the letter.

Krystal,

I'm sorry. Please forgive your father for doing this to you. I don't want you to end up in a home. That's why I asked you to go with your sister. You'll be safe there. I hope you gave her the money. It's from your mother. She left it for you guys in case anything happened.

I'm a terrible father, and I have to admit it because I couldn't even take care of you. I'm a lucky man. You never tried to rebel. You were independent and strong for yourself and for me. I will never forget the day you found me wasted and you tried to help me. I'm a blessed man.

But because of everything that happened, your own sister seems to despise us, I've turned alchoholic, and I have shown you the worst part of me. I hope you will not see me like that all the time, but to remember the old times when you were younger.

By the time you read this, I am already gone, and I need to tell you some things. I should have told you about them earlier, but there never seemed to be the right time for it. Your mother was a wonderful woman. She was the most amazing woman ever in my life, but my parents were against the marriage simply because she was from a lower class family. And so, like any other drama, my parents disowned us and we were left alone. I still had a well paying job at the time so I was ok with it. HOwever, things started to change. Your sister was probably four years old. You were also a few weeks away from being born. Your mother suddenly became sick with a chronic illness. Luckily, it had no effect on you when you arrived, but the doctors could not cure her. They wanted to see if they might find something by keeping her in the hospital, but she refused. She wanted to be free.

She wanted to run away, adn that's what she did. I think that's the misunderstanding between me and Jessica. I lied to Jessica because I didn't want her to worry, and I didn't want her to think her mother had abandoned us, but that was exactly what happened. 

I thought that her mother would be back and was just going away to cool off before returning

A few weeks later, I got a note from the hospital that she had commited suicide. No one knew why.

But I figured she couldn't handle that she would never recover, and she just wanted to end it herself.

Jessica doesn't know this. I hope maybe you might be able to tell her for me one day.

Anyway, Krystal, it's my fault. Everything that has happened is all my fault. I couldn't stop your mother from taking her own life, I lied to your sister...I was trying to make myself believe the lie too because I didn't want to admit what would happen to us in the end. After that, things started to get bumpy. 

When I found out I lost your mother, I was devastated, and I started doing miserably at my job. That's how I lost it...and then I started drinking later on.

You were still small and I couldn't take care of the both of you due to my work, so I thought that if I could give Jessica the best school, it would make up for all that happened. She was still mad at me, so I suppose sending her off made her more resentful towards me. So I sent her with my brother after making a deal. My brother always had to make things more complicated. He turned it into a business transaction. He'd take care of her for me if I gave him all the credit. Your sister would be classified as if she were his own, and our connection got cut off as you remember--unless she came back of course.

It's because of me that your sister despises us. And for that I'm sorry, Krystal. I hope you will forgive me sometime along the road because of that and because I lied to you too.

I can't come back, Krystal. I can't bear to see my own daughter like this.

Goodbye, Krystal. Maybe you'll be able to get through to your sister one day. Take care of yourself.

Love, Father

---------------------------

I read it over once again. I didn't know what to think...except that indeed, he had dropped Krystal onto me.

"The idiot!" I threw the card down and slammed my fists against the steering wheel. "Stupid!" 

How could he? I knew something like this was going to happen! 

What is Krystal going to think now? I thought to myself worriedly. Will she be heartbroken that he lied? What am I going to do?

But some of the stuff was starting to make sense...like why Uncle was telling me to go back or when he used to tell me we'd work together in that dumb business of his.

Tears fell from my eyes. I should be mad. I was mad, actually, but I felt more sad. There were a lot of things I didn't know and I just assumed the worst. But now, things were different because what he'd done to me was exactly what he was doing to Soojung. IN fact, both of our parents just dropped us like trash bags into the garbage dump.

I wiped my eyes and tried to calm down before driving to the hospital. I didn't want anyone to see me like this.

I can't let Krystal turn out like I did. SHe's not a bitter person. I didn't want the quiet shy girl to turn into a monster like me.

My mind was tumbling with questions, but my heart already knew what I was going to do. I'll take care of her for you, father, I thought, she's my sister...and she belongs with me.

 

I was walking down the hallway to my sister's room. A few nurses passed and smiled at me while others just eyed me. I was about to walk in when I looked through the blinds of the window and saw Tiffany with Krystal. They were talking about something, and then I saw Tiffany her cheek.

I could only watch. My mind became empty as I watched on wondering why I felt like the whole world had been stripped away from me.

 

*Krystal POV*

I woke up again in the darkness. Nighttime? I tried to look for the clock or something to see what time it was, but it was jet black as night. 

I felt something was tied to my arm, but I couldn't see it. I couldn't see anything. And then, I remembered what happened. Jessica found me at the old apartment and took me to the emergency room because...

"She can't see!" I remembered hearing the urgency in her voice. However, I was still in a bout of shock after my eyes decided to say goodbye to the world. "You've got to help me!"

I guess she was freaking out too. EVerything was a blur after that, except for before I was about to get in for surgery. I think that was the only time I had been clearly thinking how I really wanted to see the equipment. Call me stupid because I should have been panicking, but anyway, here I was.

Oh, and then my sister kissed me before I fell asleep again. I wondered if she kissed me anymore times while I was sleeping.

I'm blind, I thought to myself. Blind...

I heard the door open, and the person introduced herself as the nurse. "Krystal, the doctor is here to talk a few things over with you."

"O-ok," I said nervously, trying to figure out where they were. I gave up, and it probably appeared to them that I was staring at the ceiling.

"Krystal," the doctor pat my shoulder. "I'm right here." I could here him from the left side, so I turned my face to where he might be.

"Are you feeling better?" he asked. "Any other pains?"

I shook my head.

"Great. We just took out a tumor from your brain. If you were feeling any discomforts or headaches then it was probably because it was impacting and creating quite a bit of pressure against it. It's a good thing your sister brought you when she did or one of your blood veins could have been ruptured, and we'd have a huge problem then." I heard him click a pen open. "I'm just checking off a few things ok?"

I waited for him and listened as he muttered numbers and stuff that I didn't understand. 

"Am...am I blind?" I chanced to ask him, although the answer probably already passed as quite obvious. "...forever?"

He paused. "Yes you are blind. One of your eyes cannot be recovered. The tumor has completely destroyed the optic nerve and also caused the detachment of your retina."

"Oh." I was silent.

"However, you may be able to recover your other eye. That one does not seem to be caused by the tumor. It might be clouded up. We haven't the science yet to actual transplant a whole eye, but we can transplant parts such as the cornea, or some parts inside your eye are possible. I told your sister I'd keep a lookout for anything." 

"We're all just glad that you're healthy now," he continued. "It may feel wierd right now because you're newly blind, but I know a few programs that can help you. I'll give them to your sister to consider." He was doing something. I wish I could know what exacltly he was doing.

"Oh someone's here to see you!" he exclaimed. "I'm glad you're feeling better, Krystal. The nurse will come in with some food for you."

I heard someone pull up a chair after he and the nurse left.

"Krystal, hey," I heard a familiar voice.

"Tiffany-unnie!" I said.

"Are you feeling ok?" she asked and my head.

"I'm just a little bit tired," I said truthfully.

"You really had us worried," she said. 

Sure enough, the nurse walked in with food. "I suppose you're helping her, aren't you?" the nurse sounded expectant, and impatient. 

"Of course," Tiffany said. "Thank you very much." 

I heard the door close. Tiffany hummed while I waited in the dark. "Hungry?" she asked. I heard the clank of the spoon against a bowl, the sound of liquid falling back into whatever was in that bowl.

My stomach growled.

"Guess that's my answer," she answered for me. "Come on. I'll help you."

I was about to protest that I could do it alone, but I stopped. How coud I if I couldn't see where anything was? 

"Open up, Krystal," Tiffany coaxed, and I smelled the aroma of some sort of soup stew in front of my nose. "I don't know what it is, but it smells pretty good, don't you think?"

I sighed heavily. I couldn't believe this. Was Tiffany really going to treat me like this?

"The train's waiting, Krys," Tiffany said.

"I'm not a baby!" I protested, and she shoveled the stuff into my mouth.

It smelled good, but it tasted like cardboard. I think it was a rice porridge or something.

I forced the stuff down my throat and coughed. "What is this stuffgrauislerhailsbghsdhf!" She shoved another spoonful into my mouth, and I nearly gagged. I managed to swallow it. It was disgusting.

Some of the nasty rice soup spilled out of my mouth and Tiffany wiped it for me with a napkin.

I suddenly realized how vulnerable and useless I was. How am I going to live like this for the rest of my life?

 

---------------------------------

hello! I finally updated today! Yay! 

So what did you think? What's going on with Jess? ANd what about that letter from dad? So many questions and problems are popping up!  What about Yuri and her attempt at having a little *WOOHOO!* with Jess? ANd the uncle is suddenly calling from nowhere. What does he want?

Anyway, please comment! Subscribve and upvote if you liked it! Thanks so much for staying with me on this! 

Take care! 

I may actually come back and fix this chapter before the next one....i'm not sure... :)

<3