Chapter 24

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Narrator POV*

Tiffany put an arm around Krystal's shoulder as she led her to the entrance of the school. "It's pretty nice here, don't you think? It's like country."

Krystal nodded. The air seemed fresh and cleaner than in the city. She sighed and wondered if Jessica was already in California. The world is so big, she thought, yet we share the same sky, same clouds, the sun, the moon...

"You'll be fine," Tiffany pat her shoulder, taking Krystal's silence for nervousness. "I'm sure there'll be someone ready to 'adopt' you!"

Adopt? That just made it sound like Jessica was leaving her!! But Krystal shrugged it off. Tiffany was trying to help ease her anxiety.

It's only two weeks, Jessica's voice echoed, I'll be back and waiting for you by then. Krystal reassured herself that Jessica wasn't lying, and that she would see her again soon.

Tiffany led her up to a table in the front of the main building. It wasn't a huge crowd in comparison to first day of school in high school or college. Anyway, this was a program that Krystal was in, but Tiffany expected there to be more than ten people. She shrugged it off, and decided she'd check it out later to ease her curiosity.

"Hello!" a cheery voice cried.

"Uh...hi!" Tiffany replied.

"I'm Taeyeon!" the cheery person introduced herself. "Here to enroll right? What's your last name?"

"Jung," Tiffany replied.

"Krystal Jung?" the woman asked after a few paused moments of searching through papers. "Ah, yes...the pretty woman's sister."

Krystal did a double take. "W-what?" Is she seriously talking about my sister?

Tiffany herself was surprised. "P-pretty woman?" she stammered. Tiffany snapped out of her shock. "Uh...I guess so. Have you met her or something?"

"Yeah, she came to check out the school with Amber," Taeyeon explained. "Are you all friends?" She looked at them curiously. "Oh my god! I'm so sorry! What's your name?" she said to Tiffany.

Tiffany looked at the short woman in front of her. Gosh, but she was pretty. Her smile was just so...dorky yet beautiful at the same time. "Um...I'm F-Tiff..." she stammered.

"Tiffany!" Krystal answered for her wondering why the older girl was taking forever to answer a simple question. 

"Um..yeah," Tiffany faltered, and looked away. How embarassing!

Taeyeon giggled. "Well, it's nice to meet you, Tiffany." It was a bit hard to pronounce since it was an english name.

"Just call me Fany."

"Ok, then. Fany, you have the paperwork then?" Taeyeon asked. "Just so you know, this is a two week program that will teach Krystal here how to get around and what she should know since she's newly blind..."

Tiffany nodded as she talked never taking her eyes off Taeyeon. She handed the folder of papers to her, including the authorization letter. "How many do you usually enroll?" Tiffany asked curiously.

"Not many, but we have old members," Taeyeon said. "The old members are actually enrolled for the regular school year but they help around in the summer if their parents don't bring them home. They help the newbies around."

"Oh so it's an actual school then," TIffany concluded.

Taeyeon nodded. "Yeah, I only work here summers though."

"So...are you like majoring in blind people or something?" Tiffany asked cautiously. She wasn't exactly sure what to call it. "I mean..."

Taeyeon laughed. "Really? Major in blind people?" She clapped her hands. "No, I'm actually a performing arts major, but I like working with kids."

Tiffany scratched her neck nervously. "Oh...right."

They waited as Taeyeon flipped through pages and stamped them with black ink. She handed Tiffany back the folder. "The carbon copies are yours." She grinned. "You're in luck! I'm going to be helping Krystal around here."

Tiffany smiled and nudged the younger girl. "Hear that, Krys? We already made our first friend."

Krystal nodded and smiled as Tiffany pat her back.

"We?" Taeyeon echoed. "What do you mean 'we'? I was really thinking Krystal and I would be friends."

Tiffany tensed unsure what to say, "Oh...uh-"

Taeyeon laughed a laugh Tiffany had never heard before. It was like a crazy ajhumma laugh. TIffany felt like running away from here as she felt a rush of embarassment come over her. "Would you quit laughing like that?" Tiffany said hotly. "You're gonna scare everyone else away!"

Indeed, other people were looking their way with confusion and wierd expressions on their faces.

"I was kidding!" Taeyeon exclaimed. "You're so funny when you look like that!" She stopped laughing and smiled up at Tiffany with big eyes. "Would you say no to exchanging numbers? And maybe we could hang out after this program finishes?"

Krystal was surprised but she felt a smirk-ish smile making its way to her face. She nudged Fany this time. "Tiffany-unnie, grab the chance while you can!" she whispered loud enough for Taeyeon to hear. "Since it didn't work last time!" She was referring to when Tiffany had kissed her.

Tiffany reddened up even more. How could Krystal joke over something that had frightened her? "Um..."

Taeyeon tore a corner from a paper and scribbled her number on it. "Text me...or call me if you wanna hang out. I'd really like to get to know you, funny girl."

Tiffany blushed more, and she took the paper. "Y-yeah, thanks." She turned to Krystal who was smiling misheivously. "Wipe that look off your face, Krys!" she scolded playfully. "I'll see you in two weeks, huh?"

Krystal nodded. "And my sister too, right?" She just wanted to hear that her sister would be back by then again, even though she already heard it from Jessica herself.

Tiffany smiled at her. "Don't worry, kiddo," she said reassuringly as she pat her head. "She'll be back with open arms."

That helped somewhat.

"So, are you gonna take her in now?" Tiffany asked.

Taeyeon nodded. "You're welcome to come in too and meet other parents."

"uh...no thanks. I'm not that old, and I have a commitment to get to," Tiffany said. "And the drive is kind of long." She hugged Krystal tightly to make up for Jessica's absence. "Have fun, Krys. See you soon."

"Ok." Krystal suddenly felt really exposed--like she was starting at the top of a pole high up in the air where the wind was blowing, and threatening to push her down without a parachute. Tiffany left her with a kiss to the cheek, with no ual or romantic intention behind it this time, and said her goodbyes to them.

"Hey," Taeyeon touched her shoulder. "It'll be fine."

Krystal let out a long sigh.

"Let's go check out your room, huh?" Taeyeon said gently. "Let's go see who you're paired with."

------------

*Krystal POV*

I followed Taeyeon through the school. She had given me a stick which I was supposed to like a scanner to "feel" the ground in front of me was I walked. It was to make sure there wasn't anything in my way that I would walk into if I didn't have the stick. But since I didn't know the area well, she stayed close in case anything happened.

"Amber's talked a lot about you," Taeyeon said. "I think she appreciates your company. Most people, especially girls, stay away from her...because you know, she's a...a-"

"Yeah, I know," I said. "So is Tiffany-unnie."

"Really?" she said. She sounded relieved. "Great! I mean--um..."

"She's available," I said deciding to get back at Tiffany-unnie for what she did to me, but in a less scarring way. "So you should go make your move while you can."

"Oh my god," she grumbled. "Am I that easy to read?"

I grinned, and tried to hold in my laughter. Although I was kind of disheartened that my sister couldn't be here AND Tiffany-unnie had to leave, I was feeling alright. My sister already met her too and she didn't say anything bad about her...except she never said anything about this Taeyeon before. But if there was something bad, she wouldn't have let me come here right?

"Well...you asked for her number and to hang out," I pointed out. "AND you gave her your number even though she didn't say yes or no."

"Dammit!" Taeyeon said defeatedly. "I made it too obvious!"

"For me it was!" I said trying not to crush her pride. "But for Tiffany-unnie, probably not."

"You think so?"

I shrugged. "Well, I'm sure she won't say no to a dinner date."

Taeyeon pat my head. "You're a good kid, Krystal. Now let's get you your room."

Taeyeon described the places for me, the trail, the buildings we were passing by, and the building that my dorm was in for the time being. yeah, it was a lot to remember and honestly, I zoned out a bit for the last minutes. It's not that she was boring, or it was boring, but the place just sounded bland.

Maybe I should have asked my sister to describe it for me. She did a better job with describing that night view to me.

We got into some elevator and went to the second floor. We went down some hallways, and she let me feel those dot things on the wall that tell where to go. It was Braille, something I was gonna have to learn for reading and stuff, she said.

"Well, here we are!" Taeyeon cried. She sliipped something in the lock and opened the door. "I'll be picking you up every morning since you're new. Even though you're paired with one of the old members, we still want to ensure safety so we still help them out."

"HELLO!" Taeyeon beamed.

"Hi!" another voice said. "Is this the new girl?"

"This is Krystal," Taeyeon said. "Krystal this is--"

"I'm Sulli!" the other girl said cheerily. "Nice to met you, Krystal! Amber's told me much about you!"

"O-oh, really?" I stammered. I suddenly felt a bit uneasy that a whole bunch of people I didn't know already knew me. 

"Yeah! I've been waiting to meet you!" Sulli exclaimed.

At least she's friendly.

Taeyeon put a hand on my shoulder. "I'll help you get settled in. Everything's organized so it won't be too hard to remember where all your stuff is."

I nodded and she helped me unpack and get familiar with the room. "If you have questions and I'm not around, just ask Sulli for help,"  Taeyeon said. "That's why we have our ambassadors here so they can help out new people."

I nodded, and we continued on.

Maybe it won't be so bad.

------------

*Narrator POV*

Jessica stepped out from the airport, and onto the walkway where people were waiting for their loved ones to pick them up, and others walking into or out of the place. It was summer, so there was quite a bit of cars lined up on the side. 

That was the longest flight ever, and not because it was about 12 hours (the plane was actually pretty fast compared to other times). Usually she could sleep it off, but she just couldn't get herself to sleep.

She pulled up her luggage and leaned on it while scanning the cars before her. The old chauffeur man was supposed to be here to pick her up. She wasn't sure if it was the same black mercedes like a long time ago, or if they changed to another better expensive car the uncle decided to add to his car collection.

While she was scoping out the car to take her to her uncle's home, her mind wandered back home to Krystal. She hoped Krystal was alright, and how was she settling at that school for the blind. She hoped Tiffany didn't do anything sleazy on the way there. As soon as I get back, I'm gonna kill her! she thought angrily. How could her best friend betray her like that?

And how am I suddenly worrying all over Krystal? she wondered. If she hadn't gone blind would I be acting differently? Jessica was worried. What would have happened if Krystal was still ok? That wouldn't be good. Jessica felt guilt drop in her heart as she remembered her attitude towards her sister in the beginning.

But wait! Jessica had been reluctant to let Krystal stay with Tiffany, although that didn't stop her. And, according to Yuri, Jessica had been thinking only of Krystal when yuri was calling her that one drunken night.

No...nothing would have been different, except how fast Jessica started showering her sister with affection. Before Krystal lost her vision, Jessica had already been slowly falling towards Krystal. In fact, Jessica couldn't get the younger girl out of her mind since they met up again. Although she hadn't wanted to admit it, she wanted Krystal back in her life a few days after the younger girl first arrived, but she was trying to hide it so Krystal probably picked up only hostility. Fake hostility.

She was so lost in thought, she didn't notice an old tuxedo dressed chauffeur standing in front of her. It wasn't the same one that she remembered. The other man was more fatherly and kind, while this one was like a snake waiting to snap up a mouse.

The old chauffeur stepped before her, bowed in greeting, and picked up her luggage. "Good afternoon, milady."

Jessica was surprised that he was calling her that. "J-just call me Jessica," she said. The old chauffeur used to call her that or Sooyeon even though Uncle didn't really like it. But when they alone, the old chauffeur would heed to her wishes. They spoke English here.

"Oh, but that's how they're used to doing it. And besides, your parentswould be unhappy to know that I'm using your first name," the new old chauffeur objected. "Now come along, milady. Once we get home, I will have your stuff transferred into your old room, and then you can rest. There will be dinner later on."

Jessica was too surprised at what he was saying. A few years of freedom away from here really made a difference. She had forgotten how fancily structured her uncle had to have things. When she was younger, it was like nothing, but now after all this, it was almost like rich kid kindergarten.

"o-oh, right," she stammered and followed him. She hadn't spoken much english either, although sometimes with Tiffany. "Also they're my aunt and uncle."

The old chauffeur shook his head. "They insist, milady. I supposed your freelancing university time has caused you to digress." He glanced back. "I suppose you're wondering where the other man is? He's long gone since you left. He went back to San Diego to retire with his family since you left, and he's passed already."

The old chuaffeur tossed her luggaged in the back and opened the door for her. She got in and he closed it. 

As the old man started the car, he turned to face her. "Your uncle never mentioned what a beautiful lady you are."

Jessica wanted to puke. 

-----------------

"Your luggage will be taken to your room," the gross old new chauffeur told her as he opened the door for her.

Jessica just nodded and decided not to try and let this dirty grandpa engage in conversation. She followed him down the familiar stone path trail. They passed by the huge marble fountain in the center of the walkway. It had a sculpture of grandfather, whom she never met in her life. Apparently he died before her father married her mother.

The door already flew open before they were even halfway up the steps.

"JESSIE DEAR!!" Auntie cried and waited for them to stomp up the steps.

Jessica was bearhug tackled into a heavily perfumed embrace. She wrinkled her nose at the strong smell and patted her aunt's back. Auntie gushed again and held her hands as if they were old friends. "My dear! It's been too long!"

Jessica smiled. "I've been busy."

Auntie nodded. "Ah yes! Studious as always! You and your uncle have been working hard for this day, but you should really take a break! It can really be detrimental to your health."

"Well, I shall be going," the old chauffeur said and entered the house. "I look forward to serving you, milady." He left her luggage out on the porch in waiting of one of the maids to get it.

Jessica grimaced inwardly. So gross...

"Your uncle is so looking forward to this," Auntie said cheerily. "But I'm sure you must be tired. We'll be having dinner by the courtyard this evening. Today was such a beautiful day, and I thought we could have a dinner overlooking the ocean! Doesn't that sound just grand?"

Honestly, it didn't sound that great. 

The city night view from her balcony seemed much better in her opinion because...Krystal was there...

Jessica just nodded. 

"Wonderful!" Auntie gushed. "Your two cousins are actual out on business calling,  but Jiyeon is here. She's so happy you're back." 

Jessica wanted to fall down and die. Her cousins were all lofty and arrogant just like Auntie and Uncle, but the worst one out of all of the children was Jiyeon. At least the boy cousins were more less spoken. Anyway, Jiyeon was a couple years older than Krystal. Jessica had never really liked her because she was really annoying, arrogant, snide, disrespectful, loud...pretty much everything that Krystal was not.

"Come along, dear," Auntie said. "I'll get someone to take you to your room." She smiled and she suddenly screeched at the top of her lungs. "MINZYYYYYYYY!"

In a matter of seconds, a young girl appeared at the door. Jessica was surprised to find that she was not much older than her own sister, but at least Krystal seemed a bit more healthier. This girl wore her hair in a ponytail, and looked disheveled in her old shirt and jeans. "How old are you?" Jessica cried.

Auntie smiled too innocently. "This is Minzy. Your uncle bought her."

Jessica gaped at her. "Isn't that illegal in the US?"

Auntie laughed. "Oh, silly, of course he didn't buy her here. He went to some poor place and found her there. He pitied her so much and brought her back here for a better life."

Anywhere but HERE is better! Jessica thought incredulously. But human trafficking was definitely worse so it was true that Minzy would have a better time in this household. 

"She should be at school," Jessica said.

"Oh she does," Auntie said. "We hired a tutor for her. She takes care of us and her chores in exchange."

Jessica blinked. How does she even have time to study? "Oh. Well, ok."

Auntie smiled again like a creepy barbie doll. "Now, Minzy, please show Jessica to her room." She left them outside with a last whiff of her strong smelling perfume. "Dinner will be at 7:30. I'll send someone down to get you."

Jessica was left alone with Minzy, who bowed to her respectfully. "Milady--"

"Just call me Jessica when we're along," Jessica said a bit irritably. "I've had enough of this wealthy people crap."

Minzy's eyes widened and she nodded right away. She picked up Jessica's suitcase and took her in the house.

They went up the stairs and down a lengthy hallway adorned with fancy wallpaper and paintings of important family members. At the end of the hallway was a shrine like furniture encasing the family heir: a charcoal black marble plate with carefully done engraved art with color. It also had a picture of grandfather and grandmother. Grandfather was gone, but grandmother was still around--although she was living somewhere else. She'd only met her once and she was not the nicest person on the planet, especially to her father.

Minzy opened the door to Jessica's room, and she found that everything had stayed the same. Jessica looked around and Minzy followed her in. 

This didn't feel like home.

"Um...I'll unpack--" Minzy offered.

"It's ok," Jessica said. "You've done enough." Jessica didn't really like this whole maid thing. She never thought about it before when she was younger, but now it just felt wrong. She was used to being on her own after so long, and she liked it that way. And besides, she could unpack alone. It would give her more time to herself. "I'll do it. Thanks."

Minzy nodded and bowed before leaving swiftly.

Jessica felt pity for her but she supposed it was better than being in an awful place wher humans had no rights.

She locked her door and then sat at her desk. She pulled open a drawer which had been left untouched. There were pencils and notebooks from high school, and pictures with Tiffany and Yuri. Those were good times...kind of.

Jessica closed that one and opened another drawer. There were more books and a black shoebox in it and Jessica wondered what she had put in it. She took out the box and lifted the lid to find unopened letters. She took one out. It was from dad.

All of them were from dad.

She had been to angry at him to even want to open it then. Actually she still was, but she wondered what he'd written in there.

Jessica tore one open and took out a card that had a Happy Birthday logo and a cute littel picture. She checked the date and found that it was from when she was 14. That was a long time ago.

Hey, Princess! Happy Birthday! Your sister and I are always thinking of you! ~Love, Dad and Krystal.

Jessica put that one down. She couldn't remember how long it had been since her father had called her that.

She fished for another letter and found that it was dated from only a few years ago. She opened it and a couple photos fell out. She picked them up. One of them was a picture of Krystal and dad at an ocean trail. Krystal looked alright then, and more like a kid. Jessica guess she might have been 13 at that time...or maybe 12? It was before Jessica returned back to Seoul for good. She flipped that one over and was surprised at the other picture. It was a picture of Krystal in athletic atire and getting ready a marathon or something. 

She's really muscular, Jessica noted. The lighting was done well enough to show off Krystal's muscles. It also helped to increase the intense concentration look in Krystal's eyes.

Jessica smiled and put that one away too, but she kept the photos to the side. She wanted to bring it back home.

She went through the other letters, which were other birthday notes, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentines, special holidays--all from dad and Krystal.

Most of the notes were written by dad, and signed by dad and Krystal. Krystal had only written in one of the cards out of the whole box. It was the most recent one after the letter with the photos. The one she'd recieved before going back to Seoul for college.

Unnie, I'm sorry about last time. Please don't be mad anymore. I don't like to see you so sad like that. Dad said you're coming back to Seoul for university. I'm really happy for you, and even if you don't care, I'm glad you're back and slightly closer to home. If you're ever ready let's go someplace. I like watching the ocean at a place in Incheon. You can take a subway there. It's really fast. My friend took me to Incheon to hang out and that's how I found it.

I know you don't really like me, but I still love you.

Soojung.

Jessica choked when she realized she was crying. She was glad she locked the door in case an unwanted visitor barged in.

She wiped her tears and read it again. She couldn't remember what Krystal was referring to, but either way, Jessica never had a good reason to be mad at her. Or was it that time she unintentionally struck her sister?

That was a terrible memory.

But Krystal still loved her despite that...

Jessica dropped the letter onto the desk and hid her face in her hands as she leaned on the desk. "Oh Soojung," Jessica said to herself, "How can you do this to me?"

She threw herself onto the bed, burying her face into the pillows and having so many mixed feelings churning in her heart.

Krystal never stopped trying to love Jessica, but Jessica had slammed her down and away every time. Ultimately, that didn't stop the younger girl then...but had she already given up now?

Jessica suddenly felt so empty. She curled up and clutched her chest. The person you hated the most, was the person you wanted the most, Yuri's words echoed.

Jessica never reallly thought about what the context might have been. It kind of made sense, but it also sounded wierd too.

It almost had a romantic sort of connotation.

Jessica pushed that out of her mind. Yuri didn't mean it like that anyway.

She found herself wishing that Krystal was here with her so that she could hold her in her arms. She had definitely gotten used to having her sister close to her like that...and she missed it.

Was that weird?

 

*Jessica POV*

I pressed my lips against Krystal's and I ran my hands through her silky black hair. "Soojung," I murmured above her lips before capturing them in mine again. I slid one arm around Krystal's waist to pull her closer and deepen the kiss.

Krystal wrapped an arm around my neck while the other hand was caressing my cheek. She let me begin to press multiple kisses to her cheek and down to her neck, but then Krystal suddenly pulled away. 

I looked into her troubled and confused expression, wondering why she stopped.

"W-what's the matter?" I asked nervously. This was wrong, but I wanted Krystal so bad. I held her cheek with one hand and looked into her eyes earnestly.

I leaned in to kiss her forehead, but she escaped from me. I felt desperate. I didn't want her to run away anymore. I wanted her to stay with me, and open up her heart to me. "Soojung, I promise I won't hurt you anymore!" I begged. I grabbed Krystal in my arms and clutched her tightly, burying my face in her shoulder. "I love you...I only want you..."

I woke up right away. My heart was beating so hard it might have broken my chest cavity. I held a hand to my forehead and flopped back down on the bed. How could I dream something this vivid?

I looked around almost forgetting that I was back in LA with my crazy aunt and uncle. I rolled over on the bed and closed my eyes again. How long had I been sleeping? 

I opened my eyes and I was facing in the direction of the desk where the opened letters and shoebox were sitting.

I know you don't really like me, but I still love you...Krystal's words were burned deep in my brain.

"Milady!" the old chauffeur was calling and knocking on the door. "Dinner is ready waiting to be served!"

"Ok!" I called back. "Tell them I'll be there." I was still slightly shaky and discombobulated by the dream. 

I touched my lips with my fingers. It had felt so real. It felt so right, yet it was wrong. My heart beat quicker as I replayed the dream. I wanted it to be real...all of it. Her soft lips, her touch, my fingers tangling in her hair...

I suddenly heard voices in the hallway. "OMO! I can't wait to see Jess after so long!" I heard Jiyeon's annoying voice.

"Yes, dear, she's so happy too!" I heard Auntie exclaim in response.

Yeah, right.

I didn't feel like going down, but I didn't have a choice. I wasn't really looking forward to my stay here anyway.

But I was kind of curious what kind of surprise he was talking about. I better anticipate the worst because his idea of a surprise may actually be the world's-worst-nightmare kind of surprise.

I just wanted the two weeks to be over now.

And then I could go back home to my sister.

 

--------------------------------

i'm so dead...

well, hopefully you liked this long chapter, and I hope it didn't get too confusing since I did all three POV's one after the other.

I hope you're all doing well! I think you can expect another update next week because I don't know what's going to happen next.   :/

But thanks for your support! And for reading, and putting up with my mistakes and all that  :P

Take care  <3