Chapter 10

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Narrator POV*

"Fany! Look at this!" Jessica cried and tossed Yuri's card to Tiffany.

She had just gotten off work from the coffee shop and was joining her friend, who was trying to enjoy an iced latte. She was waiting up for Krystal, who was at Luna's graduation that afternoon.

Tiffany looked at the card before picking it up as if it were a ticking time bomb. "What's this?"

"Yuri came over last night, and we kind of had a fight," Jessica said.

"A fight? You're not even married yet!" Tiffany implied it as a joke, but it didn't succeed. "What was it?"

"Um...it was about Krystal," Jessica replied.

Tiffany's eyebrows shot up in to the clouds. "Krystal? What is there to argue about Krystal?" Tiffany knew that Jessica was having trouble trying to accept that she didn't hate her sister, but this! This was a news breaker!

"I...I don't know," Jessica said quietly, "But she was giving me suggestions about what to do with her in case father doesn't come back."

Tiffany nodded. "Oh that. I was talking with her about that yesterday."

Jessica looked at her with narrowed eyes. "You talked about it with her?" She was about to say a scathing statement, but she never had the chance.

"yeah," Tiffany said nonchalangly, but gave her a serious look. "If you were that concerned about it, you should have talked it over with Krystal yourself. She doesn't know what to do if he never comes back." She sipped her latte. "But I told her, if anything happens, she can rely on me." She glanced at Jessica shortly before putting her attention back to her drink.

Tiffany was actually grinning inside. She had the ball in her hands now. Jessica was starting to realize what a nuisance she'd made of herself, and how stupid she had been to push Krystal out of her life for so long. Although the older Jung was trying to hide it, it wasn't very hard for Tiffany to tell what was going on with Jessica.

Jessica scoffed. "As if you know her that well."

"I know more about her than you do, Jess," Tiffany retorted. "And she feels more comfortable with me than you. You're supposed to be her sister!"

"Look, I don't feel like starting something anymore," Jessica sighed.

Tiffany leaned on the table lazily. "So...back to the topic, why exactly were you fighting with Yuri?"

"She was telling me to give Krystal away," Jessica said. "Like to a home, an orphanage, or one of those churches where they'll turn her into a gray old girl." (please take no offense -author)

"Well, Jess, please correct me if I'm wrong," Tiffany said cautiously, "But isn't that what you wanted to do? Ok, maybe not give her away part, but you didn't want her anywhere near you, remember?" She fixed Jessica with a stern look, "So what's the problem?"

Jessica in a shaky breath. She looked up at her friend slowly, "Fany, you were right."

Tiffany looked at her inquisitively. "Huh?"

"You were right about everything." Jessica tapped her fingernails on the table nervously. She was scared about what she was about to say, even though it was the truth. 

She was afraid of the truth, although it might be the only thing that could redeem her.

Tiffany watched her friend. Yay! This was good news! She felt triumphant that Jessica was about to admit her facade, and how wrong she was. Finally! 

"Come on. Out with it, Jess," Tiffany encouraged. "I'm all ears."

"I...I don't..." Jessica stumbled over her words. So many things were going through her head at that moment. She didn't even know how to put it into words. "I...I guess I was wrong this whole time," she finally managed to say.

"That you were, Jess," Tiffany sipped her latte again.

Jessica ignored the comment. "The night I got drunk...I..." She paused. How was she going to say this? "I guess the day after ,when I recollected everything that happened when Krystal was changing me, I realized that...that I created my own version of her to hate so that I wouldn't get attached to her."

Tiffany was about to applaud proudly for realizing her stupidity, but she was caught off guard by the last part. "Wait? What?" She thought that Jessica was just trying to make up excuses because of those bad memories of her mother.

"I never hated her," Jessica said. "I tried to make her into a false image because I was afraid to love her. So I made myself see Krystal as the Krystal I created in my mind."

"But...why are you afraid to love her?" Tiffany asked.

Jessica wiped at her eyes to hide the newly shed tears. "I'm so stupid aren't I?" She leaned on the table and hid her face in her arms. "I hurt her, Fany. I'm not the one that's hurt. It was Soojung."

"Sica, the both of you were hurt," Tiffany said gently, and put a hand on her friend's shoulder. "But I'm glad you're starting to see the light."

Jessica looked at her friend, eyes glistening. "I was afraid that if I let myself get too attached to her, then I would get hurt again. I was afraid to lose her...like how I lost mother and father."

"Don't cry!" Tiffany exclaimed and threw a bunch of napkins at her face. "Well now you know what you've done! Go and fix it!"

"What?" Jessica cried. "It's not that simple! How am I going to face her?"

"Look, your sister still thinks highly of you!" Tiffany said. "I'm sure of it. She thinks you don't want to see her so that's why she agreed to stay with me. She even told me that she didnt' want to bother you anymore, and that she'd leave you alone if it made you happy! What do you think that is, Jess? HUh?"

Jessica couldn't say anything. Tiffany took that as a cue to keep going. She had to make jessica make ends meet and fix up what she'd broken.

"I don't think Krystal hates you at all. If she did, do you think she'd have tried to change you the night you came back drunk? Do you think she would have offered to bandage you up if she hated you?" Tiffany began to speech. "I think Krystal is still waiting for her older sister to come back and give her the love she needs. Hell, she's had to deal with a dead drunk father for a while. Do you think drunk people can do that? I don't think so."

"But what about Yuri and the orphanage?" Jessica asked.

Tiffany looked at me. "It's your call, Sica. If her father decides not to come back, you're gonna have to figure out what you'll do."

"I...I have to...to  see her," Jessica said mostly to herself.

Tiffany checked her watch. "Um...Jess, maybe you should wait," she said warningly. "You know...like figure out what exactly you're gonna do."

"But..."

"Tomorrow would be better," Tiffany said. "Give her a chance, and give yourself a chance, too ok? Don't rush."

Jessica nodded. "Thanks, Fany."

"Now for this letter." Tiffany opened it. "Uh..." she looked at Jessica.

"What?" Jessica demanded.

"You know that this is partly your fault right?" Tiffany was referring to the things Jessica had told them before.

Jessica didn't answer because she knew her friend was right. "whatever..." She didn't need to be told twice.

"Oh, snap!" Tiffany suddenly exclaimed. "Krystal's waiting for me! I gotta go!" She beat it out of there, leaving Jessica and the note behind.

Jessica suddenly felt empty deep inside. She should have been the one going to get Krystal, and not Tiffany. At least Krystal was making a friend out of Tiffany. But Jessica wished she was the one who was making that sort of relationship with her sister, and maybe even more.

Krystal was probably terrified by her actions the night she was drunk.

But if she was, would she have bandaged Jessica's arm that next day? Krystal had gone out that morning to go buy the first aid too.

Plus she left that little note. Although it was not much, it meant a lot to Jessica because...

"Soojung cares about me," she muttered under her breath.

She picked up Yuri's note and tore it.

 

As Jessica was heading home, she suddenly got a call from Tiffany. The ringtone in her car went off and she pressed a button on her steering wheel to answer. "Fany? Hi."

"Hey, uh, Jess...we have a bit of a problem."

"What?"

"I can't find your sister anywhere."

Jessica nearly drove into the raging intersection. Her heart beat quickened by a billion paces. "What did you say?" she demanded.

 

*Krystal POV*

The graduation was nice. I went and congratulated Luna before she joined her parents for some celebration later tonight.

I went and waited outside the school. Tiffany was supposed to be here any time now, but it was already half an hour later than she was supposed to. I suddenly remembered her conversation about my father with Tiffany.

I pulled out my phone to scroll down my contacts for Dad's number. I pressed his name and waited to see if he would answer.

"The recipient you are trying reach does not exist. Please try again..."

Huh? I looked at my screen with confusion. But...that was supposed to be dad's number? What the heck happened?

An hour had already passed. It looked like Tiffany wasn't coming anytime soon. I decided to head back myself. I started walking down the street. The school was now empty after graduation. Isn't it funny how school can be so lively when everyone's around, yet look so lonely when it's empty? It kinda made me feel sad.

Anyway, as I was walking, an idea popped into my head. What if I went to go check at the apartment? Maybe he came back? I could ask the landlady about him too if she was there. The sun was still out so I had time before it set down completely.

I stopped in front of the apartment complex I used to live at. Long time no see...

I walked in and went up the flight of stairs to the floor my father and I had occupied. I walked down the hallway, noting that the walls had been painted a turquoise blue color verses the yellowish peach color a few weeks ago.

"Oh! Soojung, what a surprise!" The landlady walked from out of the hallway our door was in. "Uh, nice of you to drop by, but I thought you and your father had gone."

"Oh," I said. "Um, he did, but I'm staying with my sister."

She had a dark look on her face. "Well, that 's just great. Listen, he sent me something, and he wanted me to give it to you in case you dropped, which I supoosed was a lucky find today." She led me to her office, which was her unit. She made me wait outside while she went and got an envelope. "here. I have to run, Soojung. See you sometime."

I nodded and looked at the envelope. Why did Dad give her something to give to me? And we were both supposed to be gone together?

I sat down in a corner in the hallway and started to open the envelope. Just then, I had the world's greatest terrible headache pounding all over. I wish I had my painkillers with me. I hadn't taken anything with me to the graduation except my phone.

I dropped the envelope and held my head in my hands. It hurt like crazy!

I opened my eyes after the pain seemed to subside. However, something felt different. I blinked my eyes a couple times, but the blurriness in my vision wouldn't go away. I rubbed my eyes and tried again, but everything was all fuzzy and unclear. I could see the colors and shapes, but I couldn't be able to read the letter now! I cuoldn't read anything!

I started to panic. What was happening to me? 

My heart beat rapidly, and the intensity of the headache increased as my panic levels increased. 

I heard my phone ring. I attempted to see who it was. It was a dumb message. I couldn't read it.

But then I remembered that my phone had that new voice control thing. I pressed the home button, and asked for it to call Tiffany. Good thing technology has gone up. However, Tiffany was unavailable.

I worried, wondering who I could call next. Not Amber. She was busy. Definitely not LUna, who was probably already on her way to Jeonju by now. Not Dad, he wasn't gonna be answering anytime soon.

Jessica? That was the only option left.

Just as I was about to ask it to call her for me, I got a call from someone. Hoping it was either Tiffany or my sister, I pressed the blurry green blob on the screen. 

"Krystal?" It was Tiffany. "Krystal? Where the heck are you?"

I was so panicked, I couldn't say anything. My throat was dry, and my breaths short and ragged. "I...I..."

"Krystal, are you ok?" Tiffany asked.

My vision flickered for a moment. Whoa.

"I...can't..."I croaked. My body had gone cold with fear, and my hand was shaking. Can't see...

"Krystal, just-" tiffany started to say.

But the phone fell to the floor, adn I could only hear Tiffany calling for me from it before the call ended.

My vision was starting to get really wacky. I didn't know what the heck was going on, but I was getting scared. I heard the door open from the stairway, and fast footsteps. The head ache was bad, and the darkness suddenly seemed to be closing in on me. I tried to fight it, but it didn't seem to give up.

"Soojung!" I heard my sister cry before I went in full panic mode.

Someone just turned out the lights completely, and I was stuck in the darkness.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, but I flinched and tried to scrabble away feebly. I was scared.

"Soojung," my sister said softly. She pulled me into her arms while I freaked out the whole time.

 

*Narrator POV*

While Tiffany tried contacting Krystal, Jessica drove around wondering where her sister could have possibly gone. 

She was worried, she knew that for sure.

Where's my sister?

She didn't want to call Yuri. She was still mad at her, and she was sure that this would add to Yuri's list of why she should let go of Krystal.

Jessica tried calling Krystal herself, but it went to her voicemail box.

"where can the dummy be?" she grumbled to herself. 

She suddenly remembered the conversation with Tiffany from earlier.

Father...

He was supposed to be back this week. Did she go looking for him? 

Jessica didn't miss a heartbeat in driving to that place.

 

She parked her car quickly. Luckily, not many cars were around. She locked it and rushed into the apartment complex. It was relatively empty. SHe would have taken teh elevator but she didn't want to waste any time. She sped up the stairs to the floor she remembered from the first time in a long time that she'd seen them again.

Jessica sprinted down the hall, and heard the sound of something fall onto the carpeted floor. She turned a corner, and sure enough her sister was there, on the floor, looking lost, confused, and scared.

"Soojung!" she cried. She rushed over to her younger sister and tried to get her attention by putting a hand on her shoulder. However, the younger girl jerked away and tried to escape from her.

Jessica immediately pulled the girl into her arms. Something didn't seem right. She didn't seem to know it was her at all. "Soojung..."

The younger girl started to tense and shake. She was crying, and trying to escape from her "captor".

"Soojung, calm down!" Jessica tried to say reassuringly as she struggled with the struggling girl. "It's me! Jessica!" She grasped Krystal's face in her hands and forced her to look at her. 

Krystal didn't seem to see her at all. She was looking at her, but not really looking at her at the same time.

"Soojung, " Jessica said more quietly. She caressed the younger girl's cheek.

"Can't...can't see," Krystal managed to gasp out before new tears streamed from her unseeing eyes.

Jessica's eyes widened. She opened to say somethign but nothing came out. 

"Everything's dark," Krystal said shakily. She clung to Jessica, grabbing her jacket in her clenched fists.

Jessica tried to comfort the girl, her head, and holding her close. "Soojung, waht's wrong?"

But Krystal kept muttering the same thing over and over again. Jessica tried to think what to do until she saw the envelope on the floor and Krystal's fallen phone. She picked them up and looked down at her sister. A tear rolled down Krystal's cheek.

"Turn on the light," Krystal sobbed. "Someone turn it on. I can't see!"

Jessica looked at her in horror. She immediatly dialed Tiffany. "Look, don't ask. Just meet me at the hospital ok?"

"HUh?"

"just do what I said. Meet me there!" Jessica hung up and put her phone away. What in the world is happening right now?

-----------------------------------------

hello again! I hope this chapter was ok... <3

also have you guys seen the kdrama, seonam girls' high school investigators or something...?