Chapter 23

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Narrator POV*

Krystal gulped. Why had Jessica asked Tiffany to take her? Did Jessica really dislike her to the point she would make her travel with the person who had been close to molesting her? 

Oh wait...but Jessica didn't know about that part anyway. Krystal decided to just try and act normal.

"T-Tiffany-unnie?" Krystal said warily. "What are you doing here?"

"Yeah, didn't your sister tell you?" Tiffany said a little cautiously. She knew Krystal was now not so comfortable around her anymore. I shouldn't have done that! She probably thinks I was being nice to take advantage of her! That wasn't true, but Tiffany had started to grow a bit attracted to her the more time they spent together. "She's got a flight soon so she can't take you." Tiffany shot a glance at Jessica. "I guess she didn't tell you...yet."

The air was a bit tense. Tiffany noticed that Jessica seemed to be eyeing her like she was trying to calculate the best spot to snipe her. "Uh...so anyway, how are things?" she tried to make some conversation with her friend. "It must be...uh busy since...you know..."

"I don't know," Jessica said with a bit of an edge to her tone. "How're things with you? I heard you've taken a liking to another girl."

"What?" Tiffany was taken aback. What did that mean? "Well, no..."

Jessica smirked. "It's ok, Fany. We all get a bit crazy from time to time, but you ought to be careful who it is you're paying attention to. Some people don't really appreciate being at a disadvantage, and others don't appreciate being passed for an idiot." She narrowed her eyes at Tiffany and cocked her head to one side. "I'm sure you understand what I mean."

Tiffany shook her head, but she was feeling uneasy. Did that mean Jessica knew about the kiss? But how...? Unless Krystal told her. Tiffany's eyes averted to Krystal before meeting Jessica's. "U-um...I'm actually not sure, Jess." Tiffany had a feeling she knew what she was talking about. Idiot? Well, Jessica has been a to her sister for 16 years! 

Jessica pat her shoulder. "You'll figure it out soon enough, Tiffany." She smiled coldly and handed Tiffany a yellow folder of papers. "Don't forget to show them that I authorized you to bring her over an submit the papers." Then, she went to go help bring her sister over. 

Krystal detected a bit of hostility from Jessica, and she wasn't sure if Jessica was mad at her about the kiss and for lying about it. She flinched when her sister touched her shoulder, but the older girl pressed a reassuring kiss to her temple. That didn't really help too much because Krystal was already dreading a fight between Jessica and Tiffany, and how lonely she was going to be at that school even though she wanted to go, and how much she was ACTUALLY going to miss Jessica (although she didn't want to admit it), and how the heck was she going to handle a long drive with only Tiffany, and what was Jessica going to do at California, and--

The younger girl didn't realize that she was being dragged across the floor and most likely to the door. She instinctively pulled back, but it was useless. There was no going back.

Jessica closed the gap between her and her sister tugging on her hand gently. She embraced Krystal and kissed the top of her head. "It's only two weeks Soojung. I'll be back and waiting for you." She kissed her again between the eyebrows, making the younger girl blush a little bit. Jessica smiled with amusement.

Tiffany gawked at them, mouth hanging with shock and surprise. She couldn't believe how different Jessica was acting after the big scare with Krystal disappearing and becoming blind. But besides that, Tiffany always remembered Jessica putting up a cold stone wall around everybody, even her father--Tiffany recalled that visit from a long time ago when Jessica had finally returned home to Seoul; and even when Jessica was nice to people close to her like Yuri and Tiffany, it was nothing compared to what Tiffany was witnessing right now. Jessica's eyes softened when she gazed down at Krystal. Her cold strong facade was gone, and Tiffany couldn't find anything but gentleness in Jessica's expression.

But just when Tiffany thought that Jessica hadn't noticed her staring, Jessica called her out on it.

"Close your mouth, Fany. Before something unpleasant flies down your throat," Jessica reprimanded her.

Tiffany immediately closed and cleared . "U-uhm...ready?" she said to Krystal.

The younger girl didn't respond and when Tiffany turned her eyes to Jessica to exchange a confused glance, she found that Jessica was shooting laser eyes into hers. "You'll take care of my sister well, won't you?" It sounded more like a command than a question.

Tiffany nodded vigorously feeling anxious to leave. "Y-yeah...come on, Krys." She picked up Krystal's duffel bag and folder of paperwork and took her hand to lead her to the open door. Krystal stepped back as she was about to follow her, but then she pulled back again. Tiffany turned to look at what happened. She noticed the younger girl seemed to be having an internal conflict because she looked puzzled and unsure. 

Poor Tiffany was even more shocked and surprised when Krystal pulled her hand out of hers and went back to clutch Jessica tightly. literally hit the floor when Krystal slowly and tentatively cupped Jessica's cheek with a hand.

OH MY GAAAAAAAWDD! Her brain was exploding and her heart couldn't stop trying to beat out of her chest at what she was now witnessing.

Krystal now had both of her hands cupping both of Jessica's cheeks. She didn't know what she was doing herself, and she wondered how Jessica's facial skin could feel so smooth--almost flawless. She caressed the soft skin, and she moved higher up her sister's face, feeling her cheekbones and her eyebrows with her thumbs. She felt the bridge of Jessica's nose and she moved her thumb down her nose to run her fingers over Jessica's lips. They were soft too, but they felt thin...just like Krystal remembered.

Jessica herself was surprised at Krystal. Her heart sped up by a couple pulses as Krystal caressed every part of her face as if memorizing her by touch.

She was surprised once more when Krystal pulled her down to kiss her cheek too. This time Jessica was the one to blush. She couldn't believe this was happening, especially considering how timid Krystal was around her and that Tiffany was also here.

Jessica caressed Krystal's cheek and tilted her chin up so she could look her in the eye. "Trust me, Soojung. I will come back for you."

And then it was over. 

Jessica led her out the door to the guilty party named Tiffany. She gave Tiffany a stern cold glare before watching them turn the hallway. The door shut between them, and Jessica was alone in her apartment once again while Tiffany and Krystal were on the other side.

"You better not do anything to her, Fany," Jessica growled. 

She went back to get her stuff from her bedroom and into the living room. She was still slightly out of it as she remembered feeling Krystal's hands on her face. It felt so surreal, and it was very unexpected from the shy little girl.

Jessica leaned against the wall and clutched her chest which was beating loud enough for the neighbors to hear. Why am I feeling this way? she thought. What is happening to me? 

She closed her eyes, and all she could see was images of Krystal in the past, images when she'd hurt her, when they went to that Tiffany-planned dinner, when she helped make Jessica more comfortable after the older girl came back drunk, when she bandaged up Jessica's injured arm, when Jessica watched her sleeping on the couch that one night, when she found Krystal on the floor crying and asking her to turn on the light, when she was waiting for Krystal to wake up from her anesthetic state, when she slept in the hospital bed with her...

Then the doorbell rang.

For some reason Jessica felt hopeful, and she went to answer it right away. Maybe Krystal didn't want to go after all...but then everything would be for nought and Krystal wouldn't get the training she needed.

She opened the door and was face to face with the person she least expected to see.

"YUri?" she cried in surprise. "What are you doing here?" 

Of course...it would have been too good to be true if Krystal had come back.

------------------------------------------------

*Krystal POV*

I felt so sad. Although we weren't that close, I didn't want to leave my unnie. I suppose I had formed some degree of attachment to her while I was with her. 

I honestly didn't know what I was doing when I started to feel her face, but I just wanted something to remember her if I couldn't see her. Sure, I had the necklace, but I just wanted to do something else. Heh. And it gave me an excuse to be close to her one last time.

I let Tiffany-unnie lead me to her car, and we were about to leave the lobby when I heard Tiffany cry out in shock. "Yul! It's been so long! Where have you been? What have you been doing?"

"Hi, guys!" Yuri sounded less hostile than I last remembered. "Yeah, I've been here and there. You know...testing out new waters."

"That's great to her," Tiffany said.

I don't know if she knew what Yuri was talking about, but I didn't. Testing new waters? Did that mean she was fishing the seven seas?

"Yeah," Yuri said. "You guys going somewhere?" She sounded cautious as if wary about what we were doing.

"Jess got her enrolled in a school for the blind program, and she asked me to take her this morning because she has a flight to get to," Tiffany-unnie explained. "Are you going to see her?"

At the mention of my sister, I felt a bit weighed down.

I suddenly realized that I had never felt like this before. I was usually trying to escape her, and becoming relieved and happy when she was out. I was starting to feel confused. Is this a good thing? It's not like she's been ratting out on me lately. Has she changed for the better?

"I hope to," Yuri replied. She sounded hesitant before addressing me. "Hey, Krystal. Good luck over there. We should talk more next time...um, since we haven't really gotten to know each other yet. I should bring Yoona. I think you guys would like each other."

I nodded, feeling a bit nervous around her since we didn't have much of a good impression of each other in the beginning.

"Yoona? New girlfriend?" Tiffany questioned.

"Um....yes," Yuri sounded sheepish. "She's awesome...I mean, Jess was great, but...Yoona, well, I feel like we have a deeper connection."

"Understandable," Tiffany said in a reassuring voice. "Well, we gotta get going. See ya later!" She grabbed my hand in hers and squeezed it reassuringly.

When we got down to her car, Tiffany helped me with the seatbelt. Then she dropped my stuff in the back and climbed into the driver's seat. 

We sat there for a while. It was probably five minutes but it felt longer because of the awkward air between us.

"Krystal, we really need to talk," Tiffany started slowly. She waited a few moments before continuing. "I just really want you to know that I meant no harm to you. I wasn't controlling myself." She put a hand on mine, but I pulled it away. "I'm really sorry. I wasn't trying to take advantage of you, but my emotions overruled my head. I should have been able to stop myself."

I tensed up and felt a bit wary and sick. "It's...it's ok."

"No, it's not," she insisted. "I traumatized you, and told you not to tell your sister. I know you did, and I don't mind that you did. I'm glad you did. I screwed up real bad, and I am terribly sorry. Please forgive me, Krystal. I don't want us to not be friends." She paused. "Look, I did a lot of thinking, and I realize that to me, you're more of a younger sibling. NOthing more nothing less. That kiss on the lips was because I thought I had feelings for you, but I was wrong."

I was confused. "S-so...you don't like me like that then?" I asked starting to feel relief settle in my bones.

"No, Krystal. That's the thing about love. There's so many levels. It's confusing...like a labyrinth."

I wrinkled my nose. "But...but what about you touching me?" I pointed out.

"Uh...I guess I was kinda too..."

My mouth dropped open in shock. Eeww, I thought. "I-I didn't tell unnie about that part," I told her. "I was afraid it'd tear apart your friendship, and I didn't want to make her more mad."

"Jinja? OMG!" she exclaimed. "You're so sensitive, you little honeypie! How thoughtful!" She pinched my cheek, and I winced in pain as I struggled to escape her lobster-like grip. "And for the record, she's not mad at you. She's worried. She's worried sick, and worried to pieces." She pat my head to reassure me, but I was still feeling doubtful. "She's starting to realize what a huge she's been, Krystal. And she'll realize even more as soon as she gets a load of this!"

I shook her hand off my head. How can she be so cheery after doing me wrong?

"Krystal, I am being honest with you," Tiffany said firmly. "I have no romantic interest in you. You're another younger sister to me. That I promise you."

I didn't answer. Should I just accept her apology and try to forget it happened? "Well..." I started to say.

"Look, Krystal," Tiffany-unnie said again. "I really did do a lot of thinking since the day at the coffee shop. I was being rash, and inconsiderate of your feelings. You're only a kid, dammit!" She slammed her fist somewhere in the car. I think it was the steering wheel since that was the only slammable part that wouldn't break of malfunction. "You've got to believe me on this."

So Jessica wasn't the only one trying to persuade me now. Of course, both situations were making me a bit wary around them, but I guess Tiffany-unnie was ok. I mean, I just met her anyway, and she was apologizing correctly today. Besides, if she really wanted to get me, now would be the best time since we were all alone in her car. But here we were, talking things over and listening to Tiffany apologize.

I think it was ok.

"Ok," I said. "It's alright, I guess. I forgive you."

TIffany-unnie sighed with relief. "Thanks, Krys. I really owe you for what I did."

"Buy me dinner when I come back," I said.

She ruffled my hair. "Thanks for forgiving me."

I just shrugged. It wouldn't do to hold on to something like that forever. I didn't feel like turning my life into a trash bin of bitterness and anger. Anyway, it looked like she'd learned from her mistake and she wasn't even interested in me anyway. I wasn't interested in her either.

But then I began to wonder...since Jessica broke up with Yuri, then was she interested in someone else too? What kind of people was she interested in?

-------------------------------------------

*Jessica POV*

"Yuri! What are you doing here?" I demanded with surprise.

"Um...hi, Sica," she said. "I was...I was just wanting to see how you were doing." She looked at the space behind me. "Uh...can I come in?"

"O-oh, yeah sure," I said nervously. I don't know why I was feeling nervous. It wasn't those romantic butterflies of excitement, but more of an embarassment about how I'd been acting towards her recently. I stepped aside to let her kick off her shoes and come in.

"I brought you some food," she said, and she looked around my apartment. "Oh...looks like I got you at the wrong time. You're leaving?" She looked at me curiously.

Somehow, Yuri looked much different than I last remembered. She seemed to be brighter despite her cautiousness, and she seemed more energized than when she was going out with me.

"Y-yeah," I replied. "I'm heading out to California to deal with some business. You know how my uncle is."

She let out a huff of restrained laughter. "Yeah, we know. Demanding and charismatically horrible."

We laughed a little in the awkward atmosphere.

Yuri held out the box to me, "I guess you don't have much time, then."

I checked my watch. "Well, my flight's at 3PM. It's 11AM right now." I glanced at her. "I hope you didn't bring too much."

She smiled. "We'll share it between the two of us. Yoona bought it..." She immediately stopped and blushed. "Um...my friend bought it."

My eyes widened and I suddenly realized why she was blushing. She found herself another girl. "Girlfriend, huh?" I smirked at her.

She nodded and avoided my eyes. "She's great...I mean, not that you weren't! You were awesome too! You're pretty and she's pretty too, and-" She was everywhere and trying not to make anyone feel hurt.

"It's ok, Yul," I said. "Let's just eat."

Yuri brightened at the idea and she helped me take out the styrofoam boxes. "Thanks goodness she went and got those bento box things," Yuri said. "We don't have extra work to do."

I nodded and we started to eat. 

Wow. It felt so long since I sat down with my ex-girlfriend. I wasn't attracted to her now and not even when we were going out, but it was nice to eat with a friend.

"How have you been doing, Sica?" she asked.

"Fine," I said. "Just the usual."

She smiled. "That's great. Your sister?" She ate another mouthful of the takeout.

I dipped my fork into the food. "She's alright. She's a bit timid, but she's getting used to this."

"That's good," Yuri said looking thoughtful. "I actually ran into them before they were leaving." She suddenly smiled. "Fany was talking about that program for blind children. As soon as she mentioned you, your sister looked really sad. She looked just like a kitten!"

"Wait...really?" I couldn't believe my ears. "You're serious?" Krystal was sad that we were separating for two weeks?

Yuri nodded. "Yup. It would have made you cry because it looked so pitiful."

I couldn't help but smile contentedly. I wasn't happy that she was sad, but I was glad to hear that Krystal was acknowledging me. I suppose her lack of expression wasn't really helping in showing that she did appreciate my care toward her. Sometimes, she was intimate like today, but other times, not so much.

"Well, how about you, Yuri?" I said. 

"Me? Nothing much, except Yoona," she said. "She actually talked me into doing this because I was too scared to face you after we broke up. It was embarassing after all the things I said to you." She paused. "I'm sorry I was a bad girlfriend."

I shook my head. "No, I'm sorry. I wasn't the best person either." I recalled those wasted dates Yuri would take me on, and I would competely space out and drown her out. Then, there were the times I complained about "Krystal". There were so many things I'd been doing wrong.

"Guess we both were pretty bad then," she said. She sighed. "I really need to apologize to your sister. I was really bad to her too. The night I brought you back home drunk, I said some pretty nasty stuff to her. I really...I can't believe how calm she is, and what she did for you after I left. I should have helped you, but I didn't because I was mad at you for drinking like that, and mad at her too...I don't know what, but I was angry that you were thinking of her the whole time."

"Huh?" I nearly choked on her food. 

"You didn't remember that part, but when I was calling you, you kept calling for your sister instead. That's why I was mad. I couldn't believe the person you hated the most was the person you wanted the most."

That made no sense at the moment, but then I suddenly felt a blush start to arise. I tried to hide it, but it was insistent on coloring my face. "Well...I'm sorry about that too. And really, thanks for getting me that late at night."

"That's what friends are for," she said reassuringly. She suddenly looked up at me with shining eyes. "You know what? I think Krystal adores you even though she doesn't show it much."

I wasn't so sure about that considering how she'd been acting around me, but then I remembered those moments when she'd cuddled up to me, and the both times she'd kissed me. Maybe that was a sign she was starting to let me get past her brick wall. "Thanks, Yul," I said. I could only hope that was true. I decided that I didn't feel like talking about me and Krystal anymore so I switched the talking over to her. "So tell me about your new girlfriend."

Yuri looked surprised but she went with it anyway. I didn't miss how her eyes softened as she spoke about Yoona, how her smiled seemed brighter when she told me about how understanding and nice she was...Everything I hadn't been. But I was seriously glad she found someone to share romantic love with.

After we finished up eating, we dumped the takeout boxes, and I was about to show Yuri the door. 

"You know, Yoona was saying that she wanted to meet you guys...you, Krystal, and Fany," she said. "So maybe when you and your sister get back, we can get together or something."

I pursed my lips thoughtfully. "I guess so. I'd like to meet her."

"Great!" she said cheerily. "It was nice talking with you again. I was getting worried since you didn't answer my voicemail."

I immediately felt bad. It had been nice of Yuri to leave that message for me, but I left her hanging. "Oh, sorry about that. I got the voicemail, but I was really caught up in everything."

Yuri nodded. "It's ok. I'm glad you at least heard it. I thought you were mad." She was about to step out the door, but she glanced at my luggage and then me. "Sica, why don't I take you to the airport? Your stuff looks like a lot."

"It's fine," I said. "Thanks though."

"No seriously," she said. "You're gonna come back jetlagged too." She went over to grab my luggage. "Besides, you're all bone and no muscle. I'll bring you and pick you up. When are you coming back?"

I couldn't believe everything that was happening today. First Krystal, and now Yuri.

"Yul, are you sure?" I asked. "What about your girlfriend?"

"OH, don't worry about that!" she cried. "She'd clap for me right now if she were here. Now let's get going! When're you gonna be back?"

"Most likely next Monday night," I replied as I followed her out. I flicked off the lights, did a mental check off list of things that had to be turned off and put away, then I closed the door and locked it with my keys.

"Ok. Just let me know, then."

She threw my luggage in her trunk and we got into her car. The last time I'd been in her car was so long. We had still been dating then. But now it was different. She had moved on, which I was glad about, and I was back to being single. However, I didn't mind because that would give me time to get closer to Krystal. I think she needed me now more than ever even if she wasn't willing to say so herself. Or was it the other way around?

I was feeling slightly cheerful until I remembered Tiffany and what she did. Crap...I was gonna have to deal with that later. How could I let her and Krystal stay alone together AGAIN? But I hoped she knew what I was referring to this morning. I think she could because she seemed to be a bit jumpy and anxious whatwith all the cold glares  I was giving her.

As Yuri drove to the airport, I was starting to wonder if letting Krystal go alone with Tiffany to Hongcheon was such a good idea. But I knew Tiffany, and she didn't look like she wanted to do anything sketchy with Krystal today. Last time she was eager and excited, but this time she was a bit hesitant. 

Despite that, I knew Tiffany would do what I asked. She knew me well enough not to provoke me anymore than I already was about what she'd done to my sister.

But until then, I needed to deal with my stupid uncle and his family first...and find out what kind of surprise he was talking about. I didn't think it was going to be a good one anyway.

 

----------------------------------------------------

Well, I said that I'd update sometime next week, but I just decided to update again today because I'm kinda stuck on my paper. So since I'm on my laptop, I decided to just update now!! Luckily, I will do another update later this week for sure.  :)  It may or may not be divided in two parts.

thanks for reading, and I hope it's not getting too slow and boring right now. I don't think we're even close to half way done with this story. But I'll do my best until the end, which might be awhile from now.

Thanks for your comments and thanks for upvoting! :D

Take care!! <3