Chapter 28

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Jessica POV*

"Thanks, Yuri." I walked her to the door after we made it back to my apartment. She had kept her word in coming to help bring me home from the airport. I was thankful enough that she would do that for me, and even more when she helped me bring my stuff up. I suppose Yoona really was making her happy. She was all smiles and really cheerful--something that had never really happened for either of us when we had been dating.

"No problem!" Yuri said brightly. "Actually, I was wondering if maybe you'd like to come over for dinner some time. Maybe after Krystal comes back? Yoona would really like to meet you and your sister."

"Sure," I replied. "Maybe next week?" 

Yuri nodded. "I understand. Just let me know." She smiled and we said goodbye before she turned her back and I closed the door.

I sighed in relief. I leaned back against the door and closed my eyes. It was so good to be back home. 

I flopped onto my bed. I was so tired. I rolled on my bed and stretched appreciating the silence away from society for once. I would never take staying home for granted ever again--not that I ever did, but I decided I wouldn't be leaving Korea again any time soon.

I was still bothered by that argument with Uncle. 

I went to grab some clean clothes before heading to the bathroom to wash up. 

The water was comfortably hot as it ran down my bare skin. I closed my eyes and let the warm water drench my face. Once again, I wished all my problems could just disappear down the drain and get swallowed by an unlucky fish.

I didn't want to be 'great' the way Uncle intended me to be. I didn't want to be stuck in to those crazy people either. In fact, I just wanted to cut off all communication from them, which I knew was practically impossible. They had their ways to get around, and even if I cut off my line, they'd most likely find me out--even if it took 100 years.

Krystal was lucky for the most part. Life had been harder for her than me, but at least she had been safe from the prickly fingers of crafty men like Uncle.

--------------------------

*Narrator POV*

--(Flashback)--

(Jessica-18 yrs old)

It was probably the hundredth letter father had sent Jessica these last passing years. Just like the others, she tossed them into the shoebox which was stowed in the desk drawer.

Jessica sat at the desk and doodled on the large calendar sitting before her. "How can he have the guts to send me stupid 'postcards'?" she grumbled to herself angrily. Tears dripped down her face. "This is stupid. He should just stop bothering me."

She stabbed her pen into the pages of the calendar, ultimately destroying the writing part of the pen. The ink seeped from the broken end and stained the spaces of the calendar as well as her hand.

There was a knocking at her door. The old chauffeur was there. "Jessica, your uncle wishes to see you."

Jessica quickly wiped her tears and cleaned off the ink with the sleeve of a black jacket. She didn't want them asking about what she had been doing just now. "I'll be there!" she replied.

She opened her door, but Uncle strode right in. "Hey, Jess."

"Oh, hi," she said.

Uncle looked down at her. "It's such a beautiful day outside. Everyone's out except you."

Jessica shrugged. She jumped when he put his hand on her head. 

"Oh, you poor girl," he said sympathetically. "Come on, and cheer up. There's no use crying over spilt milk."

"I'm just tired," she retorted moodily. Of all times, why did he have to come now?

"Don't worry, darling," he said. "We must focus on the future. There will come a time when we strike back!" He gave her a toothy grin. "Isn't revenge sweet?"

Jessica was slightly confused. "Revenge?" she echoed. 

"You'll see in time," he said assuringly. "Your father will see what a huge loss he made eight years ago by giving you to me. Anyway, he called recently, actually."

"H-he did? For what?" Jessica asked.

Uncle smirked as if the whole thing were a silly situation. "What else?" he said. "Money." He paced in her room. "your father said your sister was sick, but I don't know with what."

Jessica was too busy trying to process the information to pay attention to his nasty remark. 

"So being the sensible person I am, I didn't give him any," Uncle concluded. "He probably wants it to go out and get drunk. And in anyway, if she is as sick as he made it sound, she's probably not going to make it. Why waste my money?"

Jessica wanted to point out to him that Father wouldn't lie about things like that, but then she started to doubt Father too. 

But she also knew Father didn't stoop that low if it was for something as stupid as alcohol. He'd only ask people for favors if it was very urgent...but maybe he urgently 'needed' alchohol.

"Well, I look forward to the future, Jess," Uncle said. "We will be successful businesspeople. I will bring you up to the highest position in my company, and show the rest of these crapbag fiends real power." He guffawed nastily as he left the room. "I am blessed to have met a girl like you, Jessica."

Jessica stared at the now closed door after Uncle left. She fell back onto her bed. Revenge? she contemplated the idea, but what would I gain from it?

She began to ponder that thought and others, but forgetting about her Uncle talking about working together in his business at that moment.

But in the end, she scoffed as she lay down on her bed. Krystal was probably just trying to get attention. Her father probably really had stooped low enough to be beggin on his knees for money.

How pitiful.

--(Flashback end)--

Jessica slammed her fist into the wall of the shower area. 

It was wrong. All wrong.

She couldn't fathom the thought of how Krystal had to live for so long. How did Krystal manage on her own when father was out and drinking? Father was right about one thing: Krystal was strong.

Jessica turned off the water and wrapped her bare body in a towel to dry off. She leaned against the sink while staring at nothing in particular. She remembered leaning sitting here on the floor after waking up from that hangover, and then going out to find Tiffany in her kitchen while Krystal had gone out to buy those bandages.

She turned and wiped off the steam that had accumulated on the mirror so she could look at herself.

You poor girl, Uncle's words echoed. You are lost. You have nobody. Your father left you with me and now you have no choice but to listen to what I tell you.

Jessica curled her lip in disgust. It wasn't true. It couldn't.

But what she saw in the mirror didn't match what she had once thought of herself. Cold, strong, independent...

No. She was none of those, except cold, fragile, unable to forget the past, spiteful, angry--everything Krystal was not.

 

----------------------------

"Good night you two," Taeyeon said cheerfully as they all turned in for the night. "See you in the morning." Taeyeon had just come to check up on Krystal and Sulli before bedtime. She shut the door and left the two girls alone.

Krystal fell back downwards onto her bed. The program was almost over soon. She sighed with relief. She was definitely ready to get out of this place. They were all so weird--except Taeyeon of course. They seemed artificially happy, especially Sulli, who had been very talkative since she arrived. It was nice to know someone who could carry a conversation, but a lot of times, Krystal just wanted Sulli to stop talking.

And lately, it had been about enrolling at this school.

"Hey, Krystal," Sull isaid. "Did you consider enrolling?"

"Not really," Krystal replied. "I just wanna go home."

"Oh," the other girl said sadly. "Why wouldn't you want to stay? I mean, everything here is provided for you--and not just the housing and all that stuff. You have someone to help you all the time."

Krystal was confused. Why would I want to stay? she thought. "I want to see my sister."

Sulli snorted. "Silly, you can't SEE your sister!"

"Well, actually--"

"Listen, it might be hard for your family, your sister--whatever--now that you're disabled. They might not be used to your dependence on them."

"But...but that's why I'm here!" Krystal cried incredulously.

"You can only learn so much in two weeks. And besides it would be much more convenient for you here."

"O-oh," Krystal mumbled. "I dunno then. My sister said she'd be here."

Sulli scoffed suddenly. "They always say stuff like that."

"Huh?"

"Oh never mind, "Sulli laughed. "Well, I'm glad I got to room with you."

"Oh, um...yeah," Krystal said warily. She was starting to think they were trying to convince her not to go home.

It was silent, and Krystal thought that she could finally get some sleep, which ended up in the negative.

"You sister has a future, Krystal," Sulli said. "I was just concerned that she might forget about you along the way."

"What?!" Krystal cried. That really stung!

"I'm just voicing my concern for you. She's got a life of her own too. She can't take care of you forever. And it's gonna be hard on her with her life and having you."

"Well--" Krystal felt a bit aggravated that Sulli was implying that she was going to be another charity case to Jessica.

"Don't argue, just think. Doesn't it make sense?"

"No." Krystal wasn't even sure what Sulli was talking about that was supposed to make sense.

"Everyone here is enrolled. Do you hear them talk about their family?"

"Well, Baekhyun--"

"Anyway, think it over a bit before you leave forever."

Krystal frowned. "Are you trying to get me to stay?" And she keeps cutting me off! she thought frustratedly.

"Of course not!" Sulli said quickly. "I'm just saying that your sister may not be so keen on having you around anymore."

Krystal decided not to answer. She had a sinking feeling in her heart that Sulli might be right. She never wanted me before, Krystal thought, why would she want me now? What if I was becoming a problem to unnie?

"I...I guess," Krystal mumbled.

"How do you like it here?" Sulli changed the topic.

Krystal paused. She didn't want to say she didn't like it so she kept it neutral. "It was ok."

"Just ok?" Sulli said. 

"W-well, it's good I guess," Krystal tried to back herself up. "I mean the people here are nice--"

"Oh yeah, huh!" Sulli cut her off. "I see that you've taken quite a liking to that Taeyeon. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't want to take you out for some fun."

Krystal sat up in alarm. "Yah! What are you trying to say?" she demanded hotly. "I'm not interested! I told you that already!"

Sulli laughed. "Ok, ok! Calm down! I'm kidding. Why are you so uptight?"

"I'm not," Krystal said simply, "but I'd prefer to keep my love life to myself."

"Wait so you have someone in mind?" Sulli asked cheekily. "Is it Amber?"

"NO!" Krystal snapped. "She's only a friend." She was startled when she felt a new weight on her bed. "W-what...what are you doing?"

"You're sure you don't have anyone in mind?" Sulli asked, and Krystal could hear Sulli creeping up to her.

Jessica instantly popped up in Krystal's mind, but she didn't have time to scold herself when she literally heard Sulli creeping up towards her.

"S-Sulli...isn't your bed on the other side?" Krystal asked nervously.

"Of course it is, but...I want to show you something."

Krystal started to feel uneasy. "But...I'm tired."

"No. Now's the time." 

Krystal yelped when she felt Sulli's hand on her shoulders. "Wow, Krystal, you have a lot of muscle." Krystal felt Sulli's foreign grip on her shoulders.

Krystal tried to pry her hands off. Adrenaline was pouring down her veins and she managed to push the other girl off for a moment. "Don't touch me!" Krystal snapped. What just happened? she thought frantically.

"Calm down, Krys," Sulli giggled. "What's wrong? You chicken?"

"I am not!" Krystal said crossly. "Just go to your own bed!"

Sulli laughed again. "Ok, you scaredy cat!"

Krystal sighed with relief and she turned over in the bed to go to sleep. She felt a bit annoyed at Sulli for invading her personal space and pestering her about staying in this dumb place. And she was really upset about Sulli's prediction that Jessica would just give her up.

What if it's true? 

With that last thought, Krystal remembered Jessica begging her to reveal what had gone on that day that TIffany kissed her. She hoped Jessica wasn't going to go crazy over Tiffany or kissing her now that it was out in the open. She remembered Jessica's strange tone before they left. Jessica's voice had been dripping with coldness when she talked with Tiffany.

Krystal bit her finger nervously as she remembered Jessica's kisses. Trust me, Soojung. I will come back for you, Jessica's voice echoed.

She closed her eyes and tapped her fingers on the mattress. If Jessica said she was coming back, then she would...hopefully.

Krystal started to drop off as sleep overcame her. 

-----

She was back in her sister's apartment. She was sitting on the sofa and looking out at the city view.

She felt the pillows dip under her when a new weight arrived beside her. Arms wrapped around her waist and she felt kisses being pressed on her neck. Krystal shivered as she was being pulled against her sister.

It was so warm. So safe.

Krystal turned over wanting to bury her face in Jessica's shoulder, but she found that it was Tiffany! She immediately leapt off the sofa. She landed on her backside and she winced in pain.

Tiffany grinned at her. "Don't tell your sister." She started slinking towards her like a cat.

"N-no!" Krystal backed away on the floor, looking up at the older girl warily. She yelped when she backed up against someone's legs and she looked up in alarm. "Unnie!" she cried. "It's-it's not what you think!"

But she couldn't see her sister's face. It was blank again.

The ground suddenly gave way beneath her and she cried out as she fell into the dark chasm. She closed her eyes awaiting her fate, but she was back on her bed in her old apartment. She sat up and looked around. Her desk light was still on, and her math book open with homework on top of it. She got up to go clean up and turn out the lights, but she heard the front door open.

Krystal sped out the room to find that her father was drunk. He was carrying a bottle of alcohol in his hand to which he took another swig. 

"Father?" Krystal called out uneasily.

He didn't seem to see her, but then he looked up at her. A sly grin was forming on her face. "Ah...honey, so you finally show your face now, eh?"

Krystal started to back away. "But...father, it's me! Soojung!"

"Honey, why are you running away from me?"

Krystal gulped. This wasn't good. "Father, its ME!" she tried again. This was first of the many nights father had come home drunk, and every time he saw Krystal he thought it was his dead wife. 

"You ing wench!" he suddenly went for , but Krystal was faster and she jumped to the side. Father went crashing to the table and so did his bottle of drink. His hand was cut and blood smeared on the table.

Krystal was frozen with shock. She was reliving the memory from long ago, but what happened next was completely spontaneous.

Father started giggling and laughing like crazy. "You just know how to break a man's heart, sweetheart!" He punched the table and turned around to face Krystal. 

His eyes were serpent like and he grinned nastily at her. He approached her and towered over her, smiling wickedly. He grabbed her by the collar of her shirt and she winced as he raised his fist to punch her. "Say goodnight, my beautiful wife!"

Krystal shut her eyes tight, preparing to meet her fate.

-----

*Krystal POV*

I jolted awake from the awful memory/nightmare, but I was even more alarmed when I heard hands slam down on either side of my body. 

"S-Sulli!" I cried. "What are you doing?"

"Oh you're awake!" she said. "That makes this twice as good."

Something was definitely wrong. I could hear it in her voice. I couldn't pinpoint an exact description, but it sounded devious.

"Why are you here?" I demanded. I started to squirm out from under here, but then I felt her fingers clumsily grab my shoulder, and she pinned me down by the throat. I gagged. "What the heck?"

"Geez, my last roommate was a little more cooperative," Sulli commented.

"WHAT?!" I cried, and I pulled her hand off my throat. "What are you--trying to kill me?" I spluttered.

Sulli giggled. "No, silly! Just relax."

"Then get off!" I snapped. "What's wrong with you?" Was she seriously trying to start something so early in the day?

She slapped my mouth shut and I struggled against her. How was she able to do this? "You poor girl," Sulli suddenly said. "You sound so attached to your sister. I feel so bad for you once you find out the truth."

She removed her hand from my mouth but then she started to run her fingers through my hair, her nails scraping against my scalp. I shivered and I tried once again to push her off, but her hands found my shoulders and she quickly pinned me down. "Now, now, Krystal," she said. "Don't be sad. We'll be here for you. Remember, we're like a family. You should let your sister live her own life. And you live yours. This place is better for you."

She leaned closer and I could feel her hot breath on my scalp. "You're too innocent, Krystal. Stop trying to believe whatever it is your sister told you. Don't you see? We don't need those people."

"Shut up!" I snarled, but she grabbed my face in her hands and she mashed her lips on mine.

I froze up. My heart beat like crazy from the anger and shock.

Noooo! I cried inwardly. Not again! 

It remembered me of Tiffany's advances on me a few weeks earlier.

Why is everybody doing this to me?! And I hardly even knew Sulli!

--------------------

*Narrator POV*

(A few days later)

It was a fresh afternoon in Seoul. The sky was clear, the sun was shining, and the brids were calling. Jessica was sitting across from her friends, Sunny and Sunhwa, at one of the tables at the coffee shop. It was nearing the end of the week, which also meant that Jessica would be seeing her sister soon.

"So how was your trip?" Sunhwa asked. "Did you see any hot guys?"

Jessica gave her a wierd look. "I didn't go for a vacation. It was for family issues."

Sunhwa looked crestfallen. "Oh...well, I hope that went well."

Suddenly, the doors burst open and there were loud pattering footsteps before Amber came barreling into their table. All their drinks were knocked over and Sunhwa had gotten the worst of it. Her iced drink spilled all over her shirt.

"Jess!" Amber wailed. "I'm so sorry!"

"Well, you better be!" Sunny snapped. "You just ruined our break!"

"NO!" she wailed. "I forgot to tell you something!"

"About what?" Jessica said in confusion.

Amber sobbed. "Don't kill me!"

Sunny and Sunhwa exchanged confused glances.

"What's going on?" Sunhwa asked.

"Krystal might be in danger?" Amber cried.

Jessica narrowed her eyes at Amber. "Danger? What do you mean?"

Amber started cleaning up the spilled drinks frantically but effectively. "I can't believe I forgot/ Dammit. I was too caught up in the moment."

Jessica stopped her wrist. "What are you talking about?" she demanded.

Amber glanced timidly at her and then looked  back down at the table. "They might not let you take her back."

"What?!" 

"You see, um...it's hard to explain."

Jessica grabbed her by the shirt and brought her down nose to nose, eye to eye. "You better tell me what you mean right now," she growled.

"You've just unleashed Hellsica," Sunhwa whispered loudly, which earned her a glare from Jessica.

"Ok! I will! J-just let me go, will you?" Amber said quickly. 

Jessica dropped her and Amber put the napkins down on the table. Amber fixed her rumpled shirt, and flattened her hair which had stood on end at Jessica's outburst.

"Ok, it's partially my fault. I knew the place was good. It was affordable, I had friends there...so I thought it'd be ok. But I forgot that...usually the people who go--well, they're left there forever. So they expect that once you go you will stay hands down." Amber looked at the three older girls. "I mean, it's not always like that, but 99.9% of the time that's what happens."

"what do you mean left there forever?" Jessica asked suspiciously.

Amber swallowed. "They're abandoned children."

Everyone's jaw dropped. "What, so Sica left her at an orphanage?" Sunhwa exclaimed loud enough for the whole shop to hear.

"Yah!" Jessica snapped. "I did not abandon her!" Jessica cried. She Amber. "Why didn't you tell me this earlier?"

"I forgot ok? I was just glad I knew a place that you could get without paying a lot of money, but it completely slipped my mind! I mean, it might be convenient for you in the long run--no!" Amber clutched her own head in her hands in frustration. "! The point is they might not be willing to give her back!"

"Give her back?" Jessica echoed incredulously. "She doesn't belong to them! They can't just keep her like that!"

"You don't know these people, Jess. They're like a hardcore cult to the infinitive power," Amber said warningly. "Sure, some of them are my friends, and they're 'nice', but if you press their button, then you've pretty much pressed all their buttons, which could be equivalent to a nuclear bomb." She gathered the coffee soaked napkins. 

"They can't do that," Jessica said persistently. "She doesn't belong there."

"I hope you're right," Amber said uneasily.

 

-------------------

hi! Sorry that this update is a little short, but I assure you that I will have another update sometime this weekend. :)

I hope you liked this chapter!! and I hope it was alright. 

Thanks for reading, subscribing, and upvoting!!

Take care!!  :D