Chapter 9

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Narrator POV* (flashback)

"So you're Jessica Jung?" a man said. "My brother's daughter?"

Jessica looked up at her uncle. She'd only seen him once, to discuss her living situation in California, where her uncle lived and where she was to go to school. Initially, her father had tried to get her uncle to let her live with him, but they already were busy with three other children. However, uknown to Jessica, this was when her father was starting to lose money. Her father was actually asking her uncle to help fund Jessica's education, while he himself took care of Krystal. Her father's brother was about to say no, but then he had other plans. 

You see, he was a crafty man. 

"I'll do it," he'd said, "On one condition, that once she makes something of herself, the credit will not be yours. She will be known as my own daughter."

He was also a mean man. 

"Since you can't even help yourself," Uncle Jung sniffed loftily. "You don't deserve to have a successful daughter."

"Look, brother, I just need your help on this. It's not to much to ask! Why are you making things like a business transaction?" Dad demanded.

"Listen, here. I'll get her into that boarding school just like you wanted. You said so yourself that she deserved the best possible education so that she won't ever end up like you." He smirked. "Too bad. You failed at being a parent. NOt just that, but you failed at being a good husband. How could you let your wife do such a thing?"

"Shut up," Dad growled. "That's not part of the reason I want her to go to California. I want her to be successful and self-providing."

"you got it!" Uncle Jung grinned maliciously. "But the deal is, I give you what you want for your daughter, you give me something back." He sat back in the chair. "I'll make her into something the world will adore. I promise you that."

Mr. Jung had no choice. He needed to do this for his daughter. He couldn't let them get taken to a home. No. It was better to let her be supported by his brother's family, while he took care of the younger one. As long as he had one, everything would be ok.

Boy was he wrong in the end.

 

"So, Jessica?" Uncle Jung said. "Ready to get settled in your new school?"

Jessica had no other possible answer. She just nodded.

She was only 10.

Why did I have to go? she thought, I don't want an education here! I just want to stay with my family!

She remembered her father's intentionally reassuring words, "You're gonna learn really well over there. People here will be jealous. I'll be waiting for you with open arms, and so will your sister."

That didn't make her feel any better.

"You can count on me, Jessica," Uncle Jung said. "Your father has other business to attend to, but don't be afraid to ask me for help. I'm your new father now."

Jessica was still unsure about that. She didn't feel too comfortable with him, and honestly, she was really confused about this whole situation.

New father? 

----------------------------------

Jessica was driving home from her work. The traffic was lighter at this hour since her shift at the coffee shop had been switched with another coworker for an earlier time. Yuri hadn't stopped by today, which was strange because she usually visited every day when Jessica was working. But Jessica could care less. She didn't feel like facing Yuri or even seeing her anymore.

When she turned off the car engine, she sighed heavily and leaned on the steering wheel of the car. It was almost the end of the week. 

Krystal's going home soon, she thought sadly. She remembered the night she had come home drunk and Krystal took care of her. She wished she had been sober to experience everything that she'd done to her younger sister. ALthough she remembered what had happened, she wished that it didn't have to be when she'd just taken alchohol. It probably scared the heck out of the girl. Why did she have to see me like that? she slammed one hand on the steering wheel.

As the days had gone on since Krystal started staying with Tiffany, Jessica's mind had been taken over with thoughts of her younger sister. She couldn't get her out of her mind, and she couldn't stop wishing what she could have done instead of being so terribly nasty.

"What an idiot," she grumbled to herself as she walked to her apartment door. She fished for her keys and unlocked the door.

She sat down heavily on the couch Krystal had used the week before. Her phone suddenly rang, and she picked it up. "Hi, yuri."

"Hey, Sica," Yuri said cautiously. "Um...are you in today?"

"Yeah." Jessica rubbed the soft material of the sofa. Guess it was comfortable enough for Soojung.

"Well...I-I'm actually outside your door," Yuri said. "Could I come in?"

"Yeah, hold on." Jessica hung up as she went to get the door. 

Yuri was waiting with a small bouquet of flowers, and a card. She held them out in front of her warily. "I got them for you." She waited for Jessica to take them.

"Oh, thanks," Jessica said after a while, but she didn't take them.

YUri sighed and walked in. "Look, Sica, we need to talk." She set the flowers and the card down on the table. "This is...I think it's something you should take into consideration...in case anything changes."

Jessica looked at her questioningly. "What?"

"I'm talking about your sister."

 

*Krystal POV*

I met up with Amber and Luna after out last final of the whole school year.

"Oh my gosh!" Luna cried. "You're gonna be senior next year!" She ruffled my hair to make it all messy. Amber was grinning the whole time, while Luna continued talking excitedly. "Tomorrow's graduation! Can you believe it?"

"Yeah, looks like me and Krys're gonna be left behind," Amber put an arm around my shoulders. "You're gonna miss out, Luna."

"Tch!" Luna sniffed, with mischief in her eyes. "Well, I'll probably find a boyfriend, and you guys'll be jealous!"

"Hah!" Amber scoffed. "As if! Guys are gross!" She nudged me with an elbow, "Right, Krys?"

"Oh, get real!" Luna retorted. "What are you? A homo?"

Amber looked serious. "Actually, yeah. You got a problem with it?"

Luna gawked at her. "Uh...n-no..."

"Hey, Krys, looks like we're not that close for childhood friends, eh?" Amber grinned at me. "Anyway, I'd appreciate if you didn't tell other people, Luna...and you too, Krystal. These things spread like wildfire."

I nodded while Luna nodded vigorously. "I won't say a word!" she exclaimed.

"Oh my god!" Amber groaned. "I'm not gonna start hitting on you two! That'd be way weird, and I have no intention on trying to go out with buddies!" She got in between us, and put an arm around us each. "You're like...my closies!"

"Closies?" I echoed warily. Where did people come up with these things?

"Well, gotta go!" Amber cried and started to leave, walking backwards. "I got some girls to meet! Fun, huh, Luna?" She laughed and waved at us before she completely left us behind. "We should meet up in the summer! See ya!"

I could tell Luna was freaked out and annoyed by Amber. "Well, I'll see you at the graduation, Luna," I said. "I have to go."

"You better," she said threateningly. "You're my best friend, plus I'm going to be staying at Jeonju in the summer with my family, so we can't hang out."

We embraced and we went our separate ways.

 

"Hey, Krystal!" Tiffany greeted me cheerily when I appeared at the door. "How was school?"

"I'm done forever!" I kicked off my shoes and followed her into the living room. "But I'm gonna go to the graduation tomorrow. I have a friend walking the stage."

"Oh, that's nice of you," Tiffany replied. "I was in a rush today so I got us some take out from Amber's cafe." She took out the styrofoam boxes, which reminded me of the first day I went to my sister's apartment. "So...I hope you don't mind."

I shook my head. "Thanks."

While we ate, there was a heavy silence among us. The crickets were chirping away outside, but I felt a bit unsettled. Dad was supposed to be here anytime now, but he should have contacted me sometime soon about it. Tiffany seemed to read my mind-- or well, she asked about when I was leaving.

"So, when's your dad coming to pick you up?" she asked.

"Anytime this week," I said.

"Oh...so no specific day or time?"

I shook my head. "He just said he'd be back in a couple weeks."

Tiffany paused and took in a breath. She seemed hesitant and a little bit uncomfortable. "Krystal, did you ever wonder what you would do if your father didn't come back?"

"Why wouldn't he?" I responded. 

"Well, you could have stayed at a friend's house while he was gone, instead of staying with your sister," Tiffany reasoned.

"I told him that, but he insisted I stay with Jessica," I told her.

"But doesn't that seem strange? He didn't want you to stay at a friend's house. And the packet of money! That was like some sort of truce deal or something, right?"

I shrugged. "I'm sure he had his reasons for that."

Tiffany looked at me with a lot of concern. "Jessie seems to think he won't come back. What do you think?"

I didn't know what to think. I knew my sister was dead sure he was never coming back, but why? Why wouldn't he come back? He was swimming in debt, and probably even more since he had to pay for that expensive flight to wherever he was going. 

He never told me where he was going...

"I...I honestly...I'm not sure," I replied truthfully. "I just hope he will come back and my sister can be happy again, and never have to see me anymore. I don't think she really wants to see me." I poked at the food with my fork.

Tiffany's eyes widened. "I told you already, Krystal. Your sister doesn't really hate you at all! She's just struggling right now." She put a hand over mine. "Please don't worry about anything like that! You mustn't put stuff like that into your mind!"

She sounded really worried. I was sort of touched by her concern.

I offered a small smile, "Ok. I won't."

"Good." She smiled back and did something I least expected.

She kissed my cheek.

I probably could have been called a tomato at that moment.

She grinned. "Don't tell your sister!"

I couldn't say anything. I was too shocked and embarassed. So, we finished up eating, and then sat outside on her patio. The moon was high up in the clear sky.

"The moon is the same everywhere," I said quietly. "No matter where we are."

"How romantic," Tiffany said.

I shot her a look of disgust. "That's not what I was meaning to do."

She laughed. "I know. But you're right. The moon is the same everywhere. No matter the location."

I sighed and hugged my knees close to my chest. Tiffany put a hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry about anything, Krystal. If something comes up, I'll have your back."

I was starting to doubt whether my father was going to come back or not.

-------------------------------

*Jessica POV*

"I'm talking about your sister," Yuri said sternly. She stepped towards me and I backed away.

It was awfully nice of Yuri to bring me the flowers and stuff, but it was probably to make up for something she knew might upset me. That's what usually happened.

"What about her?" I asked her warily.

"I recall you worrying about your father just leaving her with you," Yuri explained. "And well, I was trying to think of alternatives-- safe alternatives--to help you." She put her hands on my shoulders, and pushed me toward the sofa. She sat me down before sitting on the table to look me straight in the eye. "Be honest with me, Sooyeon. You've been stressed lately, right? With all the work, and then your family?"

I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out. 

"I'm really worried about you. Krystal is just adding to the weight you already have to carry. Trust me on this. In case your father doesn't get her, it might be a possible solution."

I cleared my throat. "What other solution is there?"

She looked at me with surprise. "Uh...what?"

"I'm already 21. I'm the only legal guardian left for her here," I said.

"well, yeah, but you don't want her with you," Yuri objected. "So, I went and took a look at some options. I don't have them here because they got stolen, but I can pick them up for you another time. Look, they have homes for girls, and you can even put her in some religious school where they can give her all the care and funding she needs until she's 18."

"Wait, isn't she too old for that?" I protested.

"The age limit is up to 18," Yuri answered. "So she still qualifies."

Yuri seemed confused that I was objecting her statement. In fact, I was surprised at myself as well. What was I doing? I never felt this sort of protectiveness over Soojung before. And I've only been with her for a week!

"Sica, why are you fighting me when I'm trying to help you?" Yuri cried out with exasperation. "You said so yourself! You wanted nothing to do with the little freak!"

"I don't!" I snapped. "But it's not your business!"

"Tch!" she scoffed. "I'm just giving you options! No need to get all pissed about it! God!" She stood up as if she were about to leave.

But she looked sad. "Sica, why are we arguing?"

"I don't know," I grumbled, crossing my arms over my chest and looking away. "Maybe you AND Fany should just stay out of this."

"Well, then, what are you gonna do?" Yuri demanded. "Without me, you would never have gone out to find what I found!"

"I'm not stupid, you know!" I retorted. "Look, I appreciate your help, but-"

"Jess, I'm not telling you to do it now," Yuri said a little more calmly. "Just take it  into consideration alright?"

I let out a heavy sigh. Yuri leaned down to kiss me, but I moved away. However, she grabbed my face with her hands and forcefully pressed her lips upon mine. 

This didn't feel right. It felt wrong and gross.

Her tongue was at my bottom lip, trying to coax me to let her taste my mouth. I didn't want any of it. Not anymore. So I pushed her off. "What are you doing?" I snapped. I wiped my mouth of her slobber.

"Sooyeon, I'm worried about you. You're always on my mind," she said sadly.

"I'm sorry I upset you," Yuri continued. "I hope we can work this out somehow. Let me know if you need anything." She kissed the top of my head, and caressed my cheek before she left.

As soon as I heard the door click shut, I groaned and leaned my head in my hands. "Oh my god, what is happening?"

Yuri was being nice, I guess. She was trying to help me because she was concerned.

I tried to keep telling myself that to make me calm down. 

But right now, I was feeling confused. She said that I was always on her mind. She was worried about me. Unforunately, I couldn't say the same about her. Instead of her, my mind was occupied by someone that I could have never ever dreamed of besides the night I got drunk.

Krystal Jung Soojung.

I got up to look at the bouquet Yuri had gotten for me. I put them back down and picked up the card that was sitting beside it. 

Sica, I know you're pretty touchy about certain things, and if you're reading this after I've left, please understand what I'm about to say, although it might be redundant. I'm reallly worried about you. You've been so different ever since Krystal arrived. I mean, I thought you were just going through a stage, but ever since the night you got drunk, you've changed. I feel like we've lost the connection we used to have.

I snorted. Connection? Yeah, right. We never had one. I just agreed to go out with her because...

Forget it. I continued reading.

I know you avoided that kiss at the coffee shop. Why? You've never done it before.
And Sica, you're usually like a sturdy iron wall, but when you were drunk, you kept calling for your sister, and that was it. I'm beginning to doubt what you've said before. You kept apologizing and asking her to come back and not leave you. You said that you needed her. You have never said that about anyone else...not even me. To be honest, I was kind of hurt, that's why I left. However, I regret that. What if your sister had done something?
I love you, Jessica. I really do. I'm not trying to make you look like some kind of dumb idiot, but when you're emotional, you somehow manage to get yourself in dangerous situations. Please consider what I've told you about putting her in a home that can give her adequate resources if her father doesn't return.
You have a bright future ahead of you. Don't let her presence hold you back.
I love you. Let's not be mad anymore.

-Yuri

I couldn't believe what I'd just read. 

I put the flowers into the trash can and read the letter one more time.

Even Krystal's note was worth more than this. 

I can't believe she'd think my sister would do something to harm me! But...I guess that might have been my fault for saying lots of things about her that I wish I could take back now.

"Idiot! Idiot!" I hit my head against the kitchen bar. "How could I let this happen?" 

The answer was simple.

I was selfish.

I was stupid.

I was weak. I was only stronger when people were on my side, but I couldn't stand alone.

Krystal was everything I wasn't. She survived on her own, even though dad turned into an alchoholic.

For the first time in a while, I felt tears starting to fall. I'm so stupid, I thought, why am I crying? The last time I'd cried was the first night I spent at the boarding school. That's when I met Tiffany and she took care of me until we hit university.

Soojung, I won't let you go. 

----------------------------------------

hello!! hopefully, this chapter was alright! :)

I guess you guys might be wondering about that whole uncle jung thing going on. We'll find out about that later, ahahaha! And you might be wondering where her father is all along! I actually don't know because I have to figure that out too, lol.

Anyway, thanks for reading my stories! Please comment and subscribe! Upvote if you liked it!

What do you think will happen between Yuri and Jess? And KRystal and Jessica?

And what about Tiffany's kiss? :3

Take care everyone! <3

I will probably update tomorrow. The chapter may be divided in two parts depending on the length.