Chapter 20 pt. 1

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Narrator POV*

Jessica felt helpless and frustrated that she didn't know what to do to help Krystal. Something was obviously wrong, and Tiffany's giddy nervousness was definitely sparking suspicion. Did it have to do with Tiffany's broken lip? She tried to push her sister onto her back to take a closer look, but Krystal resisted her move and covered her head in her hands. 

"Soojung, it's just me," Jessica said gently as she sat down beside her.

Krystal was actually glad her sister was back, but she also wanted to be left alone. The one person she wished to see was here, but at the same time Jessica was the last person she wanted to see. Krystal felt her sister pulling her away from the comfort of the corner in the sofa. She flinched when Jessica wrapped her arms around her, and she began to put up a struggle to make her let go. She couldn't think clearly. Her mind kept replaying what Tiffany had done to her, and creating images of an angry Jessica finding them. 

But she couldn't escape. Jessica had a firm grasp around her. However, Krystal  didn't know that it was Jessica yet. Her panicked state was making her confused, and since she was blind, that just made the situation worse. Jessica pulled her into her arms, not anticipating Krystal's reaction. 

She felt needles of pain piercing her skin when Krystal suddenly dug her nails deep into the soft flesh of her arm.

Jessica winced. "Soojung!" she cried. She let go quickly because it hurt. She examined her arms, noticing the dark red grooves in her flesh from Krystal's nails. Luckily she hadn't drawn blood but Jessica wouldn't have been surprised if Krystal had managed to do so. The girl was strong. She rubbed one of the wounded arms, and felt tingles of pain within each groove as her hand passed over it. Something was going on with Krystal, and she needed to know what. This was definitely strange behavior.

Krystal was acting as if something had terrified her.

Jessica tried to hold her hand, but Krystal seemed to be able to sense it before she barely even touched her. Krystal made a feeble attempt to escape Jessica, but the older girl had the advantage and pinned her to the sofa, immobilizing her. She felt adrenaline running all throughout her body as her heart beat rapidly. She was like a wild animal, desperately struggling to escape poachers come to catch her. Trapped....you're trapped...Krystal tensed when she felt "Tiffany" touch her cheek.

And she hit her.

She hit Jessica.

The older girl froze. She barely felt the panging pain on her cheek as she looked at her sister. She was at a loss, and in utter shock at what the younger girl just did. She hit me...This was definitely unlike her. Although they had been together a short time, Jessica knew that Krystal wasn't a violent person. 

Instead of feeling anger, Jessica was really worried now. Did Tifffany have anything to do with it? She had been acting wierd when she came back from the trip with Amber. And Krystal had ignored them the whole time. The older girl suddenly remembered how eager Tiffany had been to see Krystal today. She furrowed her eyebrows, trying to figure out what might have happened, but nothing came to her mind.

She cautiously placed a hand on Krystal's head, and she felt faint tremors from Krystal's body. "Soojung, what's wrong?" Jessica asked quietly. She pulled her close, pressing Krystal's head into her shoulder. This time Krystal didn't fight back as she started to return to reality.

Her mind  slowly became sharp again, and she suddenly realized what she'd done and where she was. Oh no...she thought as she recalled spearing her sister's skin with her own nails, and hitting her. Is she angryShe really wanted to ask, but she couldn't bring herself to say anything. She couldn't believe what she did to her sister or what her sister probably saw. Krystal had made it obvious that something was wrong without meaning to.

But the shock really got to her. She couldn't forget the way Tiffany tried to get her to engage in the kiss with and tongue...and when she started touching her and trying to touch her more than just her abs. Krystal shivered again involuntarily. Tiffany had really been pressing her hand into her skin...

Krystal was broken out of her thoughts when she felt Jessica's lips against her cheek.

Despite past intimate moments with Jessica (like the those times at the hospital), Krystal felt uncomfortable. Tiffany had kissed her on the cheek a couple times too...before doing what she did today. So was Tiffany trying to to fool her so she could do full on kissing? But why did Tiffany want to kiss her?

Is it different when unnie kisses me? she began to wonder.

"Please tell me what's wrong," Jessica begged. She needed to know what had frightened Krystal so. 

Krystal wasn't sure if she even wanted to tell her, but she simply decided against it. It wasn't just because Tiffany told her not to, but Krystal didn't want Jessica to get mad at Tiffany--or worse, assume that Krystal had coerced her. Krystal would never do such a thing, but she wasn't sure if Jessica would know that. They hardly knew each other anyway, even though they'd been together for almost a month now.

"Nothing happened," Krystal managed to have the courage to lie.

But Jessica knew it was a lie. Krystal knew that Jessica wouldn't believe her either. She had already made it clear something had gone on while Jessica was out. But maybe Jessica would believe it after another day or so. Krystal just had to be careful and avoid anything that might remind her sister of today.

Krystal buried her face in her sister's shoulder, suddenly feeling tingles of excitement ripple down her spine when Jessica started to massage her back with one hand. She breathed in her older sister's scent, suddenly feeling a little exhausted. 

Jessica sat there for a really long time until her sister fell asleep. She absentmindedly ran her fingers through Krystal's hair before caressing her cheek. She studied her sister's complexion and face. She hadn't really seen her like this close up, but Jessica had to admit that Krystal had become more mature since the last time she'd seen her, which was three years ago. In fact, she had never really taken a good look at Krystal so she never really knew what she looked like.

Krystal was cute and pretty, she noted. She seemed more at peace in her sleep than in the waking world.

Jessica suddenly spotted something blemishing her sister's skin on her hand. There were a couple tiny red blotches staining her skin. They were dark crimson, Jessica wondered how in the world it got there. Tiffany was the only person with the broken lip. Jessica tried to find any more clues on her sister, but she saw a dark red splotch on her sofa.

So Tiffany had bled pretty badly. Just by biting herself? It must have been a big one too because her blood managed to fly onto Krystal.

And Tiffany seemed to be trying to hide it from her as well.

Jessica began to feel a bit suspicious. Something had definitely gone on, and had Krystal locked in fear.

---------------------------------

*Krystal POV*

"Don't tell your sister about this," Tiffany said before closing the gap between us.

I was back and reliving the moment Tiffany had stolen my first kiss. I tried to push her away, but like before, Tiffany had the upper hand. Tiffany had me pinned down against the sofa, and was starting to slip her hand under my shirt again. I shivered as Tiffany in the dream went up higher and became more aggressive. I squirmed trying to get her hand off me.

I made a strangled cry, and bit Tiffany's lip hard. Tiffany howled in pain, but she didn't stop violating my body. Instead, she began to and bite at my neck flesh, leaving a trail of smeared blood all down my neck. I tried to fight back, but my body wasn't strong enough. Tiffany's hold was relentless. 

Suddenly, I was in my sister's arms again. I could see again though, but she couldn't see her sister's face. It was...blank.

I started in alarm, and I was suddenly pushed onto the cold hard ground of stone. I winced after landing hard on my backside, and I looked up to see my sister's furious face.

"You idiot!" Jessica growled. "How could you do something like that?"

"I...I didn't!" I protested weakly. "I...I don't know why--!"

Jessica snarled and turned her back on me. "Stay away."

I shivered as the cold from the ground started to slowly creep up my spine. "I'm sorry unnie...I'm really sorry..." I said desperately. I didn't want her to go.

I watched my sister's back disappear in the distance as the darkness returned again.

 

I awoke quickly. Everything was dark again, but I was in a warm place. I felt Jessica slowly rubbing my arm, which was over her...

I immediately tore my arm away from her. My heart was racing with different emotions and troubles. I felt my sister touch my cheek, but I shied away from her hand. I turned away from her, feeling the heat rise up to my cheeks. What am I doing?

How did I get here?

What happened yesterday...?

Yesterday....

I swallowed down my discomfort. What did I do? I racked my brain trying to remember what happened before falling asleep.

Well....yesterday, Tiffany-unnie came over while my unnie and Amber went to go check out that school for the blind. Tiffany-unnie talked about KPOP, and some cute guys at her work...and I was thinking about my sister--

Everything suddenly came rushing back to me faster than a river rapid. Tiffany-unnie had kissed me, touched me against my will, and I bit her. And then Jessica came home at the right wrong time, and she walked in...I didn't remember what she and Tiffany-unnie were talking about because I wasn't really listening, but I think I must have blanked because I could only remember putting up a struggle and harming my sister. I thought she was Tiffany.

My heart sank with guilt. I hurt my unnie, and this time she really was trying to help me. This was like a role reversal. A long time ago, I was the one trying to show her I still cared, but she had struck out at me.

I have to apologize, I thought to myself. I kept repeating it to myself, but I couldn't find the courage to do so. I was afraid. I started to lightly chew my index finger between my front teeth nervously. 

Jessica wrapped her arms around me and pulled my hand away from my mouth. She held it in hers, slowly rubbing up my hand and the finger I had been nervously assaultling with my teeth. 

I did not expect this at all. She was supposed to be spazzing--or even mad at me for hitting her.

This had to be some sort of joke. Or maybe a dream? I really hoped so because there was a very unsettling feeling about this.

"Aren't you mad at me?" I blurted out. I just had to get it off my chest. I was more used to her getting worked up with me, and that's what I wanted right now--even though I do like her showing affection toward me. But I couldn't stand it. If she knew what had really gone on, then she probably wouldn't even be doing any of this right now.

I knew I hadn't done anything wrong, but what happened yesterday made me feel so guilty and dirty.

"Mad?" Jessica echoed. "What for?"

I swallowed nervously. "Oh...uh...I don't...know," I mumbled.

I heard her take in a breath, and I was already anticipating what she was going to say before the first word even came out. 

"You were scared," she said.

WHAT?! I nearly howled. What the heck was going on? Was my sister drinking again? I thought she was going to ask me the big question. "But...but...I hit you, I hurt you!" I spluttered with confusion. "Shouldn't you be mad at me?" My heart beat rapidly.

"I don't think so." Jessica seemed to be examining my hand because she was rubbing up each finger.

"But-"

She covered my lips with her fingers. "I'm not mad, Soojung. I'm just worried."

Worried?! Even worse! I had to get out of this fast. If she was worried, then there was a very high chance she was going to try and squeeze the truth from me. But wasn't having a worried unnie better than an angry one?

"Won't you tell me what happened?" she asked pleadingly. "Tiffany didn't have anything to do with it, did she?"

I wished she didn't, I thought to myself. 

"Soojung?" she called to me again. I felt the bed dip as she leaned over me. "Don't you trust me?"

I don't know what I was thinking, but my mouth got a little ahead of my logic.

I probably broke her heart as soon as I opened my mouth because it was the answer nobody would ever want to hear.

"No."

But she took my chin in her thumb and forefinger and pressed a long kiss against my forehead.

---------------------------------

*Jessica POV*

I wiped the counter at the coffee shop with a towel. Business was slow today so I was able to keep a close eye on my sister, who was sitting at a table close by near the window. 

"Sica, you've been watching her since you got here," Sunny prodded me with an elbow. 

"What?" I said absentmindedly and nearly knocked over foamed milk Sunhwa had been making for one of the lattes.

"Look at you!" Sunny exclaimed. "You've been like a zombie this whole time!" She snatched the foamed milk from the counter and gave it to Sunhwa. "What's up, Sica?"

I shook my head. Since this morning, Krystal and I had become distant and awkward toward each other again. She had put up that cold stone wall between us, and I felt so sad when she said she didn't trust me. But I suppose that was my fault anyway. Everything I had done to her in the past never would have resulted in a positive outcome anyway. 

How could she think I would be mad at her? For what? For being scared? Of course I wouldn't blame her even though she struck me a couple times. Perhaps I deserved it. After all, I'd done it to her once before, plus directly insulted her for no reason just to make her stay away.

Krystal didn't trust me. 

Does she trust anyone else? Maybe Fany?

Oh Tiffany...I was going to have to speak to her later too. She was acting pretty odd yesterday as well. She seemed so anxious to leave, and that swollen lip of hers seemed like it was chewed up a bit. Did she really bite herself?

I had so many questions rolling in my head, mostly about what had happened that scared my sister so much. Sunny prodded me again with a finger. "Um...Sica!" she said. "I was talking to you."

"Oh...sorry," I mumbled.

"Uh, yeah. Anyway, what's going on?" Sunny asked. "You and her get in a fight?"

I looked at my sister again. She had already met my coffee shop friends. She seemed to like them and vice versa. Although most of the time, they were gossipping about me to her, and loud enough so I could listen. She would give a half smile if something was funny, but other times I couldn't tell because she'd hide her face.

"No. We haven't spoken....well kind of but not really," I admitted.

"Oh," Sunny replied. "Well, I'm sure there's a reason?" She sounded uncertain. "Why aren't you speaking?"

I shrugged. "She just doesn't want to."

"And you're just gonna let it slip by like that?"

"What am I supposed to do?" I asked. "Force her?"

Sunny made a wry face. "What? No!" She glanced over at my sister. "You should show that you care about her though."

"I did!" I cried. "But she doesn't trust me!"

Sunny blinked. Then she frowned. "Hmm...well, too bad, then." She went to go serve another customer.

I huffed with annoyance. Why did I think she could help me? We were friends, but we weren't as close as I was with Tiffany. But Tiffany wasn't the person I would be going to for advice now. I know Tiffany had something to do with yesterday or she wouldn't have run off like that.

As soon as the customer left, I grabbed Sunny. "What did you mean 'too bad'?" I snarled.

"Gosh, Sica. I was kidding!" Sunny swatted me away. "Alright, if you're so concerned, then just tell her. Just be honest with her. She'll understand."

Easy for you to say, I thought. You didn't get to see what I did to her. I sighed heavily. "If she even wants to listen to me talk."

"Yah, Sica, you're so pessimistic," Sunny slapped my shoulder. "Just go for it, but don't scare her away at the same time. Oh, hey! It's Fany!"

I whipped around, and saw my friend walk in. What was she doing here? She usually didn't come this early in the afternoon.

"Jess!" she cried. "I didn't expect to see you here!"

"I work here, Fany," I told her.

She grinned. "I know, but anyway--" she glanced around and saw my sister. "How's Krystal?"

"What?!" I snapped at her. "How can you ask that? She wasn't ok yesterday, and she isn't much different today!" 

Tiffany gaped at me. She seemed at a loss for words. She looked back at my sister and then to me. "W-well...I'll talk with her if you don't mind."

"No one's stopping you," I grumbled as I went to help Sunhwa.

Everyone else stayed away from me. I had been provoked, and my blood was boiling with anger. Maybe I was being a bit irrational for just pouncing on Fany like that, but she acted as if nothing had happened yesterday. She knew Krystal wasn't ok, yet she still had the guts to pull that question out of the hat. 

"Jessica, maybe you ought to take a break," Sunhwa said. She took the cup from me, before I could crush it in my hands. " I've got it."

I looked at her apologetically. "Sorry...."

Sunhwa waved me off. "You're stressed. Leave this to me!" 

 

Unfortunately for my friends, I didn't do much today. They wouldn't really let me because I had been a huge grump according to them. At least they were nice about it, but I was going to have to make it up to them for letting me slack off. I sat at another table where I could watch my sister and Tiffany, who was talking in a hushed voice. Under the background music and sounds of blending and machinery, I could barely hear Tiffany's voice. I could only pick up bits and pieces but not enough to figure out what was going on.

Krystal's expression remained stagnant. 

I really wanted to know what they were talking about. It might have something to do with yesterday's incident, which by the way, really scared me. I had never seen my sister in so much distress. 

It was so bad, she couldn't even recognize me. I looked down at one arm. The grooves her nails had implanted in my skin were fading away. They still tingled a bit when I touched them, but it wasn't so painful. Luckily, the blow she'd given me wasn't so bad either. She hit my cheekbone, but there was no bruising.

I sighed and pursed my lips. I glanced at them again. I suddenly felt a dark hole open up when I saw Tiffany touch her cheek. Krystal hadn't moved, but she seemed really tense.

I couldn't stand it anymore. I got up and went to their table.

"Your sister doesn't know does she?" I heard Tiffany question as soon as I got there. "Look, just forget it happened, and--"

"And what?" I interrupted.

Tiffany started and gaped at me in surprise. "Jess, what are you doing here?" she demanded.

I folded my arms over my chest and glanced between the two of them. "What is there that I don't know?" I demanded

"It's none of your business, jess," Tiffany said impatiently. "I'm just talking with your sister."

The whole time Krystal said nothing.

"Well, I think it is if it involves my sister," I retorted. "But you also mentioned me earlier, and I want to know what it is that's supposed to be a secret between the two of you."

"Jess, look, I'll explain later..." Tiffany started. "Right now isn't a good time."

"is it about yesterday?"

"Well, yeah, but..."

"I hit Tiffany-unnie," Krystal suddenly said. "That's why was all broken."

--------------