Chapter 14

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Narrator POV*

Jessica and Tiffany were sitting in a booth at a bar with their respective drinks before them and some appetizers.

"Well this is all very nice," Tiffany looked around before biting into a chip. "So, Jess, what exactly did you want to talk about?"

"Krystal."

Tiffany sighed. "Always, KRstyal now huh? What's going on with you, Jess? Last time you wanted nothing to do with her and now you act like a clingy puppy to its master."

Jessica glared at her. "Wow, thanks."

"Alright, sorry," Tiffany said. "I was just playing with you. What about Krystal are you worried about?"

"She's so distant," Jessica replied. "I mean sometimes I feel like she's ok, but other times it's like trying to talk to a brick wall."

"Well, what do you expect, Jessie?" Tiffany exclaimed. "You were the distant one before. She's probably still afraid of you."

Jessica knew she was right, and she didn't know what to do. She was really regretting everything she'd done to her sister before. Tiffany had been right before about feeling regret later on, but she had been stubborn and continued to pour out feelings of bitterness towards her sister.

"Look, Jess,"  Tiffany said a little bit impatiently. "This isn't something that can be fixed overnight. This could be months and years of repair we're looking at here. Krystal can't be convinced that easily. I know it for myself because I kept trying to tell her you were just being stupid, but she didn't believe me at all."

Jessica sighed. What else could she do? "I should at least apologize I guess."

"That's a good start," Tiffany said encouragingly. "But...don't go and scare her with your emotional outbreaks."

Jessica ignored the joke, "Because...I want her to stay with me."

"Huh?" Tiffany nearly spat out her food in Jessica's face. "That's why you're apologizing?"

"NO! I meant that I really do want to apologize for pushing her away from me, adn that I was a complete jerk to her and everything. But, I want...I want to take care of her." Jessica looked down and stirred her drink with the stirrer. "I..I don't know, but I feel like..."

Tiffany smirked. "So...you've somehow gotten attached to her, haven't you? You were jealous the whole time, huh?"

"What?"

Tiffany laughed. "I can tell in your expression. When you saw me with her and when I told you all the things we did together, you were not very pleased. ANd when she went to leave that one day we all had lunch together, I saw it in your eyes. You WANTED her to stay."

Jessica scoffed. "Yeah right."

"Don't deny it. I'm glad that it turned out this way, but also it's gonna be a battle for you. I don't think she's ready to fully open up to you."

"Tell me something I don't know," Jessica sighed.

"Have you seen Yuri lately?" Tiffany asked. Since the day KRystal had entered the hospital, Tiffany hadn't seen Jessica and Yuri together at all. Jessica hadn't really mentioned her either except for the suggestion to put Krystal in a home.

"Um...not really," Jessica replied. "I guess...I guess I've been too worried about Krystal." She hadn't seen much of Yuri either. It was almost like she'd disappeared after walking out the door. Jessica wondered where she might have gone, but she wasn't too worried about that at this moment.

"Well...I suppose that is an improvement," Tiffany frowned. "But why haven't you been speaking to Yuri?"

Jessica glared at her. "I'd like to keep that to myself, but I think you already know why."

"LIghten up, Jess. It's not a big deal. Just tell her you're reconsidering your opinions on your sister." Tiffany gulped her drink. "Stop worrying about your sister 24/7 for once. It's getting a bit too excessive."

"well what am I supposed to do? Sit back and watch her while she has to deal with being blind?" Jessica demanded. "I don't know what's going to happen anymore.  I don't even know if I can even get her into those programs for the blind. Plus, I have to pay for hospital fees."

"If you need help with that, can't you ask your uncle for help?" Tiffany suggested, not knowing the danger behind that idea.

"No!" Jessica snapped. "I don't want his help either! Once I ask him for help, he expects me to give back to him!"

"well, yeah, the money, right?"

"Yeah, wrong!" Jessica growled. "He already wants me to go back and help him...probably with his dumb aerospace business. Oh, crap..."

"Huh? What's wrong now?" Tiffany looked at her friend, who suddenly seemed really exhausted.

"He's coming to visit, and he wants to see my father and Soojung." Jessica suddenly took a huge gulp of her drink. "Let's get drunk tonight."

Tiffany watched her friend down the alchoholic beverage. "Um...no, Jess. Look, don't worry about it right now." She snatched away Jessica's drink before she could get anymore closer to getting drunk. "You're 22, right? You're legally able to run off wherever you want. Just be honest with him and tell him that he has no right to hold you on a leash anymore. You have your priorities, which is...well I dunno, but you do! And in anyway, he's not even legally your father either so hands down, you're an independent woman."

"I hope it's as simple as you make it sound, Fany," Jessica said.

"I think the first step you should take is what we're going to do about your sister," Tiffany said and drank Jessica's alchoholic beverage by accident. "Ew gross! What the hell is this crap?"

"Gin and tonic!" Jessica cried and reached for her drink. "It's good!"

Tiffany made gagging sounds, alarming the bartenders and staff. One of them quickly brought her water and she chugged it all down in a heartbeat.

"You have really bad taste, Jess," Tiffany grumbled. "I hope Krystal doesnt' end up like you."

"HEY!" A napkin storm burst into Tiffany's face.

-------------------------------

"KRystal? Hey, Krys!" Amber said cheerily when she saw her friend was awake. "I'm so sorry, man! Tiffany told me what happened, and well I haven't had a chance to come see you until now! How you doing?"

"Better, I guess," Krystal replied.

"Great!" Amber cried. "How soon will you be out?"

"When I say she does," the doctor's deep voice cut in. "If you excuse me, I need to check on my patient." He gave Amber a warning glance. "And please keep it down."

"Oh, sorry," AMber whispered, earning her a small smile of amusement from Krystal.

As soon as the doctor left, Amber scooted her seat closer. "So! What's it like?"

"What?" Krystal asked.

"YOu know...uh, not being able to see," Amber continued. "It's kind of frustrating isn't it?"

Krystal paused. "I guess so."

"Don't worry, man, you'll be great in a couple months!" Amber said reassuringly. "I've got a friend out in Hongcheon county who's blind. She's attending some school for the blind over there I think. Her name's Sulli."

"Oh...ok."

"She's not my girlfriend or anything if that's what you're wondering. She's just a friend. Anyway, she joined a really good program over there, and I thought maybe you'd be interested. It offers financial aid too!" She set down a business card on the table beside the hospital bed. "I'll leave it here for your sister."

"I gotta go now. YOu know, duty calls! I have work until 5PM but I got lunch break early so here I am!" She got up from her seat. "Get better soon, Krys! We still have to hang out!"

Krystal sighed heavily. Yeah right. WHo'd want to hang out with a boring blind person?

 

*Krystal POV*

Another few days passed by quickly, most of them spent sleeping and learning to eat on my own. A couple times, Tiffany insisted on helping me, and I let her because she wouldn't take no for an answer. It got pretty messy though, and it made me feel really embarassed and useless.

Tiffany and my sister often came by together. Sometimes Tiffany would stay longer when my sister had to work, or sometimes Tiffany would leave me alone with my sister, and an awkward atmostphere would ensue. We didn't talk, but sometimes she held my hand and rub shapes and letters with her thumb. Most times she would ask me if I was alright and if I was feeling any better than before.

The answer was always yes.

Sometimes my sister came by alone and would stay with me after hours. She'd leave pretty late. I knew that because every now and then the nurse would pop in and notify Jessica that she ought to go home and rest, and that she could come back to see me tomorrow.

I suppose it was nice not to be alone all the time if Tiffany didn't come. But then again, I suppose it was even nicer to know that my sister was coming to see me after all that time of separation. 

But what if it was Tiffany-unnie forcing her to come see me? I remember that first dinner, she had made that plan to try and help me and my sister get closer. OBviously it hadn't worked well. And I sort of figured out that Tiffany had somehow convinced Jessica to let me stay in her apartment for that one week before I started staying with Tiffany for the duration of the last week until father would come. Where was he? He should have been back by now.

Anyway, today happened to be one of the days that my sister came to see me alone. It was probably late afternoon, early evening since my sister had just come back from her work. The nurse came in with more of that nasty cardboard flavored rice soup. 

For some reason I felt nervous. I felt around for the spoon. The nurses were nice, but they kept changing around the position of the utensils and bowls so I actually had to walk my fingers around the tray to find it so I wouldn't spill anything. 

Suddenly, I felt a hand stop mine, and I felt the cold metal handle of the spoon slip between my fingers.

"Th-thanks," I managed to say to my sister. Why did I feel so uncomfortable right now?

My hand wouldn't stop shaking, and I scooped up a spoonful only to have it drop somewhere on the tray. I guess the spoon must have tilted on its way up to my mouth. Dammit...

I probably looked like a useless idiot to my sister now.

How embarassing...

"Soojung," my sister said quietly. I felt her hand wrap around the hand that was holding the spoon.

"I-I'm ok," I stammered.

"I know you are," she said gently. She guided my hand to scoop up the cardboard soup. "Open your mouth, Soojung."

I obeyed and I felt the spoon and the gross stuff enter my mouth. It wasn't so bad this time. I guess I'd gotten used to it. 

At least she wasn't stuffing it in my mouth like Tiffany did a couple times earlier. She did it a few more times with me and eventually let me do it alone.

The nurse came back, praising that I was able to do it alone well. I didnt' say anything but my sister agreed with her, and the nurse left with a cheery farewell.

After a while, it was silent and I wondered if maybe my sister had fallen asleep. I couldn't even tell if she was here or not until she sighed. "Soojung," she started. "I...I need to ask you something."

I looked at her--well not really look at her--but you know what I mean. I faced the direction her voice was coming from. I'd learned to figure out where people were by focusing on their voices. Sometimes it's hard to tell...like that ear test thing they make you do in the doctor's office.

I waited for her wondering what she was going to say.

"I know that we don't really have a...a normal sibling relationship," she said slowly. "I've been a really big jerk to you."

Well that was kind of true, but I didnt say anything.

"I know that apologizing can't erase the past and make up for what I've done," she continued. "But...I want you to come home...with me."

"oh," I said warily. I really wasn't sure what to say. "I...I don't know, unn--Jessica. Isn't father coming back?"

"Until he does," she said abruptly. "Stay with me."

"well, actually, Tiffany-unnie offered," I said quietly. "And I was kind of considering..." I faltered.

"Don't...please."

I was caught off guard a bit. I almost thought that maybe Tiffany was behind this, but now I wasn't so sure. Would she have offered me to stay with her? Is Jessica being sarcastically good at acting like she wanted me to stay with her?

This is when I wished I could see so that I could watch her expression. It's all in the eyes, they say. Well, if you're blind, that's kinda hard.

"I'll think about it," I said.

"I'm sorry, Soojung, for everything," she said sadly. She took my hand in hers. "Please...give me a chance."

I sighed heavily. "It's fine, honestly." 

"It's not, Soojung. I-"

"I'm serious, unnie," I tried to make her stop. I didn't want to talk about it now. "It's ok."

"I...There's a lot of things I need to tell you."

I moved my hand out of her grasp. "You can tell me later."

I heard her draw in a breath as if she were about to continue, but I guess she decided not to press further. "I...I'm gonna go now."

I didn't say anything as she left the room at the click of the door.

I honestly didn't know what to think right now. She wanted me to come home with her...or was it Tiffany's idea that she was trying to follow? There were so many doubts in my mind because I knew my sister never wanted me around before, so why would she want me with her now? Obviously she wasn't lonely if she had Yuri for a girlfriend. Plus, the both of them were "against" me supposedly.

But what about the other times like when she stayed with me all night that one time? I wasn't sure what to think or what to believe.

 

*Jessica POV*

I felt so troubled all the way home. Why was Krystal refusing to let me explain myself to her? I was really trying! Couldn't she see that?

I threw myself onto my bed with frustration and lay there for a while. What else could I do to get the girl to listen to me?

My phone was ringing. TIffany.

"So? How'd it go?" Tiffany asked. She knew that I was going to try and talk with Krystal about this, but I never clarified when so she opted to calling me every day to see if I did it or not.

I sighed with defeat.

"Well? Did you apologize?"

"Well, yeah, but-"

"And waht did she say?"

"That it was fine," I replied in a dead monotone voice.

"Oh well there you go! It's ok!" Tiffany exclaimed. "What's the problem?"

"I wanted to explain to her, but she wouldn't let me."

The line was silent.

"Fany?" I said when I wasn't sure she was still here or not.

"Jess," Tiffany said. "Just be a little more patient. She'll come around. YOu know what? I'll talk with her."

"What?" I cried. "No! I should do this alone!"

"Well, obviously you can't do it right. Let me talk with her. She's more comfortable with me than you."

Dammit...Tiffany was right again.

"So she might be more willing to put up with your lame excuses if they're coming from me," Tiffany said.

"WHAT?! LAME?!" I demanded. "You're the worst!"

"Look, either you take it or leave it," Tiffany said nonchalantly. "After all, you said it was none of my business. I could be charging you for this, actually!"

I huffed in annoyance. "Whatever. Just..."

"Stop spazzing over this, girl. This is getting to be a bit too much. Just sleep tonight and tomorrow morning, we'll be back at square one again, ok? Bye."

The line clicked off, and that was it.

My heart felt heavy with guilt and yearning. I wanted Krystal.

I wanted her so badly...like there was string tying us together and it was tugging at me to go back and see her even though I was sure it was making me look like some obssessive sister. And my sister probably still wasn't comfortable enough with me anyway.

--------------------------------------------

Sica, let's meet tomorrow  -Yuri.

I exited the message and put my phone on the nightstand. It was 11:30PM and I couldn't sleep.

All I could think about was Krystal. I couldn't get her out of my mind. What if she didn't want to forgive me?

What if our roles changed and I ended up in her shoes while she and Fany run off into the sunset?

OH god. What am I thinking?

I got up and dressed myself. A pair of jeans and a sweater.

I didn't know what I was thinking until I got to the hospital. It was definitely after hours for sure. Everyone's probably wondering what the hell am I doing here at 12 AM in the morning? 

But I couldn't help it. I needed to see her.

I checked in at the front desk before heading to my sister's room. The hallway lights were sort of dimmed, but still bright enough for everyone to watch where they were going. I slipped into my sister's room. The lights had been turned off in there, but the lights leaking in from the hallway were enough for me to see.

I sat in the chair and watched my sister for a little bit. I wanted nothing more than to hold her in my arms, but I doubt she'd let me do anything like that to her. 

I reached over and took her hand in mine. It was warm in contrast to my cold hands.

But I woke her up again.

"Ohh," she moaned with sleep evident in her voice. "Unnie, what are you doing back here? Aren't you tired?"

I didn't reply. I couldn't bring my voice out to her at all. I just sat there with her hand in mine. But...how did she know it was me?

"You shouldn't drive around so late at night, unn--JEss," she continued. "It's not safe, and you're tired."

"I couldn't sleep, Soojung," I said.

It was silent. "oh."

But the only thing that I could think about right now was that she was talking to me in the same way she'd written that note for me when she left with Tiffany.

"You're really cold," she said. I think she was trying to break the tension in the air.

To my surprise, she held my hand with both of hers so that my cold hand was sandwiched in between her warm hands. 

"Well, since we're here and awake, what did you want to tell me earlier?" she asked me.

 

*Narrator POV*

"Uh..." Jessica started. She was caught off guard by the suggestion. She had only been expecting to sit with her sister while she slept, not talking with her into the night.

"I was tired earlier," Krystal continued. "I wanted to sleep, but I'm awake now. They gave me some wierd medicine yesterday morning and it made me all tired."

Jessica blinked. She her sister's head tentatively with her free hand. This time, Krystal didn't flinch at all. If anything, she seemed to press up against the hand that was petting her.

She seems a little less guarded, Jessica noted, or maybe she's still tired.

"What were you going to say?" Krystal asked, breaking Jessica out of her thoughts.

Jessica paused. Krystal wasn't looking at her. She was still staring at the ceiling. For just this moment, Jessica was glad Krystal couldn't see because she was really nervous right now. How was she going to tell Krystal everything? Some of it made no sense!...although it did at the moment that Jessica had thought of them, which was a while ago. But Krystal didn't need to see it to know her sister was anxious. Jessica's hands were shaking ever so slightly.

"Why are you shaking? Are you still cold?" Krystal asked with genuine concern.

"I'm fine," Jessica said and started to take her hand away, but Krystal held on.

Jessica tried to pry her fingers off, but Krystal refused to let go. "SOojung," Jessica said. "It's--"

"This is how I know it's you," Krystal interrupted. "Your hands are always cold and soft."

"Huh?" Jessica was really confused.

"Nevermind, but what were you going to say?"

"Oh..." Jessica faltered. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, you really wanted to say it earlier, so why not now?" Krystal was feeling her sister's palm and fingers with her own fingers.

Jessica was getting slightly distracted by this new encounter with her sister. "I...I'm sorry that was a huge idiot," she managed to say.

"I told you that it's ok," Krystal said. "How many times do I have to say it for you to believe it?"

"Well, how can I make you believe that I want you by my side always?" Jessica shot back and immediately wanted to bite back those words. "I...I mean...that I want to...I want you to stay with me so I can take care of you like I should have a long time ago."

Krystal didn't say anything, and Jessica was afraid the girl was going to tell her to leave for saying something uncalled for. However, Krystal was just as confused. She was taken aback by Jessica's retort, and she almost forgot what they were talking about.

"Look, Soojung. I was a coward," Jessica continued. "Because mom left. She just up and left us without saying anything, and she never came back home since. Father said she'd be back, but she never did. I found that out a couple years later and I was upset that he lied. Then, he sent me away with his brother, our uncle, to go study in California. That's why you never saw me for a while." She paused. "I...I thought father didnt' want me, and that he was favoring you over me since you were the youngest. Well, that's what I thought..."

Krystal's sightless eyes widened with surprise, but she said nothing.

"But I was wrong. I was mad because father pushed me away from you. I wanted to be with my family, not his brother's. I couldn't because father's brother was funding my education while father struggled with his job and raising you. I was alone. I didn't have anyone. And then I met Tiffany and Yuri at the boarding school I went to. It was a charter school. I didn't meet Yuri until later though, and well she was nice..."

"And then you fell in love," Krystal finished for her, with a half mischievous smirk on her face.

Jessica scoffed. "Yeah right. She looked like..." you...she finished the last word for herself unspoken.

Krystal faced her with her sightless brown eyes. "Wait...you don't like her?" she asked cautiously.

"No! I mean...I do like her, but I just thought that if I had someone else like her then maybe I could forget and move on. I could be protected from losing family," Jessica explained weakly. "I was afraid, Soojung. I didn't want to get too close to you because I was afraid that I could lose you. I didn't want to be hurt again like when mother left." Her voice was on the verge of breaking down into sobs. "But I was wrong. Tiffany tried to tell me I was wrong, and I didn't listen. And now...this happened because no one cared about you...not even me." 

One tear drop fell onto the back of Krystal's hand.

"U-unnie!" Krystal exclaimed with surprise. "Don't cry! It's ok! I understand! Just please don't cry!"

"I'm sorry, Soojung. For thinking that pushing you away from my life would make things better for the both of us," Jessica said softly as tears dripped down her face. "I hurt you. It wasn't me, it was you that was hurt, and it's my fault."

Krystal's voice caught in . SHe didnt' know what to say. "I don't care about that, unnie!" she tried to say reassuringly. "I'm not hurt at all!"

"But I was a jerk...an idiot!" Jessica protested.

"That's not the point!" Krystal argued. "Look, the past is the past. So let's move on with life! Just be my sister from now on, and I'll...I'll be on your side all the time. Um...until you tell me to go."

Krystal reached out blindly for her sister's face to wipe her cheeks. Too bad she was blind. I'm so goddam clumsy! Krystal thought when she accidentally got her sister's nose instead. But she eventually figured it out, and she used her thumb to wipe the tears off.

"Don't cry anymore, unnie," Krystal murmured.

Jessica had never heard her call her 'unnie' so many times.

They were like that for a long time ago. Krystal's arm grew numb while she continued her sobbing sister's teary cheeks.

"I'm sorry, Soojung. YOu must be tired," Jessica said. "I'm leaving now." She started to slip her hand away, but Krystal tightened her hold. "Soojung, "Jessica tugged a little. 

"You're tired too," Krystal said. "Stay here. You'll die if you drive now."

Jessica made a wierd face, knowing Krystal couldn't see it. "Is that a death threat?"

"Just stay here, unnie," Krystal begged. "It's cold."

Jessica sighed. "Fine." She sat back down in the chair again, but Krystal suggested she sleep in the bed with her.

"They took the IV out already, unnie. They took all the stuff out. I'm fine," Krystal said convincingly. "They don't even come in here at night. Just don't disturb the machines and stuff."

"I don't think we'll fit...." jessica eyed the bed and her sister warily.

"We're not fat, you know! Come on, before we don't get any sleep! What tiem is it?"

"2AM?" Jessica checked her watch.

Krystal pulled her hand, urging her to get in. "Wow you talk a lot, unnie."

Jessica sighed in defeat. She cautiously got onto the bed with her sister. "What if they come in?"

"They won't. If they do just tell htem I was cold."

"Cheeky."

Krystal didn't say anything. SHe sighed contentedly and snuggled against her sister, seeking warmth and serenity. Jessica wrapped her arms around the girl. "Are you sure you're feeling better enough that we can do this?"

"They removed the sutures already. It's closed up now if you hadn't noticed. They're just running a couple tests to make sure I'm fine before they let me go." She paused. "Sorry about the medical bill."

Jessica leaned her head against her sister's. "your health is more important. Now go to sleep."

"You sleep too, stupid. Don't try to play protector on me." 

Jessica was surprised by Krystal's sudden chnage in mood. Usually she was afraid of her, but did her explanations make a difference, or was Krystal trying really hard?

WIthout thinking, she pressed her lips to the top of Krystal's head, and her cheeks gently and firmly. The younger Jung made a sound like that of a kitten mewling, as she tried to escape Jessica's shower of new found affection. 

This is nice, Krystal thought to herself as she started to fall asleep. She could hear the rhythmic pulse of her sister's heart beating.

Jessica waited for Krystal to fall asleep. She watched the steady rising and falling as she succumbed to sleep. Finally...she thought.

She kissed her sister's cheek one last time before letting herself follow her sister into the comforting depths of slumber.

----------------------------

hopefully this wasn't too fast. But I tried to make extra fluff. lol I'm not so good at that but hey, here it is!

THe moment we all wait for!!

Thanks for reading! Pls comment and subscribe! Upvote if you liked it, and thanks if you already did!

Take care!! <3