Chapter 13

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Narrator POV*

Tiffany was worried. 

She was worried about Krystal. The poor kid was only 16 years old and she was gonna be going through a bit of  rough time. How the did this even happen? she thought angrily to herself. How could no one have known her condition?

Tiffany had come to the hospital, not only because she cared about the girl, but also because she had questions for her. She had come across Krystal's backpack, which had fallen from the corner where it was usually neatly set. It was open and some of its contents had slightly fallen out of the shelter of the bag. Tiffany went to pick it up for her, but a bottle of painkillers suddenly rolled out. Tiffany picked it up, the pills rattling inside when she moved it up to inspect it.

"What the...?" she said to herself. "What's this kid doing with these?"

Was Krystal on drugs?

Tiffany was starting to get suspicious. Krystal was a good kid alright, but why did she have this? What else was she hiding? So many questions began to fill Tiffany's mind and she looked inside the backpack. Maybe this girl needed help, she reasoned. Perhaps Jessica had made the stress too much and Krystal was following in her father's footsteps to find solace somewhere else. Tiffany only found Krystal's notes and books in there. She found nothing in its pages except neatly done notes and homeworkd assignments. She couldn't help feeling proud of the girl. No wonder she was a grade-A student.

But she had to get back to business. Krystal was a good student, and she was nice and shy, but what was she doing with painkillers?

Tiffany started to put away the stuff when an envelope and its contents spilled out in a neat fan. It was almost as if it were supposed to happen.

South Korean International Children's Services

She looked at it in shock. What is this doing here? she wondered.

She looked at the other papers. They were for putting juveniles in homes. Then, she came across a note to Jessica...from Yuri.

TIffany read it, eyes widening as she read further. "That idiot!" she threw down the note. "How could she suggest a thing like that!?"

She glared around her, wondering what to do. She needed to talk with Jessica about this. She grabbed the painkillers and the papers, as well as the note before starting to head out. Then, it suddenly dawned on her that Krystal had "stolen" the papers.

Tiffany thought she figured out why. Krystal didn't want to get put in a home so she stole them thinking that it would buy her time. Tiffany growled to herself. How can Jessica be so heartless?

I'll take care of Krystal myself...

--------------------------------------

Krystal seemed to be in a bit of a sour mood after Tiffany fed her the soup. She was good at keeping her temper in control, unlike her sister, but she could feel vibes of frustration and sadness eminating from her. Even though she was blind, her sightless brown eyes still held some sort of expression.

"Krystal, everything will be fine," Tiffany tried to reassure her. She Krystal's head to comfort her. "Maybe you won't be blind forever, but-"

"The doctor said it's a very low chance," Krystal interrupted.

"But he didn't say it wouldn't work," she pointed out.

Krystal sighed. "How can I do anything now? What's my father going to say when he finds out?"

Tiffany couldn't answer that question. As far as she knew, they were all still waiting for dad to come back and get Krystal. "I'm sure he won't get mad," she tried to reassure her.

Krystal snorted. "We don't even have money."

Tiffany looked at the girl shocked. She had never heard her sound so scornful before. "Krystal, it's not a bad thing. There are plenty of blind people out there that do regular things like people who can see!"

"Easy for you to say," Krystal argued. "that's cause they had people willing to help them. I don't have anybody."

Tiffany opened to say something, but she didn't know what could make this girl feel better. "That's not true! I'd help you, and your sister-"

"I don't think my sister really likes me at all," Krystal said, sadness dripping with every word. "So she probably wouldn't--"

Tiffany's eyes widened. "No! That's not true! I know it for myself, Krystal!"

Krystal smiled a little. "Thanks, but she made it pretty obvious. I kept trying too hard. I think it's time to give up."

Tiffany grasped the younger girl's hand. "Krystal, you're wrong. Don't be like your sister. Don't assume the worst."

"I tried," Krystal said. "For a long time...but I couldn't. She was too far away to even try and reach out to her."

"Krystal!" Tiffany persisted. The conversation had gone from blindness to sibling issues. What could she say to reassure the younger Jung? Whatever Jessica had done to chase Krystal off was really working wonders.

THe door opened and a nurse came in to pick up the food. "Finished?"

Tiffany nodded. "yes, thanks. She really needed it."

The nurse smiled and took away the empty utensils. "Make sure she doesn't get too stressed out. She's still recovering and it wouldn't do her any good to get all worked up right now." She glanced at them shortly, as if she was noting the tight tension in the atmosphere.

Tiffany turned back to Krystal, who had closed her eyes. "Krystal, just...don't worry about it right now. Just focus on getting better before we even try to figure out the next step, alright?" She started to get up. "Just trust me on this."

"I'm sorry," Krystal said.

"Don't be," Tiffany told her. "It's ok to be afraid, but things will get better. I promise." She wished she hadn't said that. What if things didn't get better? But what else could she do to make the younger girl feel reassured?

"What about...what about my sister?" Krystal asked warily. "Won't she be mad?"

Tiffany sighed. They were going to have a lot of work to do in order to get Krystal to believe that Jessica did not hate her. "Look, Krys, don't worry about it. She won't get upset at you." I hope... "She was worried actually," Tiffany said. "Really, she was."

But Krystal didn't seem convinced.

"I have to go, Krystal," Tiffany said. "But I'll come back later, ok?" She pat the younger girl's head. "make sure you rest up."

As Tiffany left the room, she saw Jessica sitting on a bench on the other side of the wall. She pulled out the envelope from Yuri. Anger filled her mind and she stomped up to Jessica.

"Fany!" Jessica stood up. "H-how is she?"

"She's fine," Tiffany said gruffly. "But she's not really ok."

"huh?" Jessica looked at her uncertainly. "Tiffany, are you sure everything is alright?"

Tiffany glared at her. "I have a few things to say to you, Jess!"

"Fany, why are you mad?" Jessica asked.

Tiffany got right up in her face. "Jess, how would you feel if you thought you didn't have anyone to rely on?"

"What?" Jessica was confused.

"How would you feel if someone so close to you yet so far was capable of helping you, but decided that it was easier to forget about you?" Tiffany snarled.

"Fany, what the hell are you talking about?" Jessica demanded.

"I'm talking about you, stupid!" Tiffany snapped. "Girl, you've worked wonders on your sister! She's dead set on believing you despise her. She's not ready to believe that you might actually CARE about her!"

Jessica opened to argue back, but Tiffany threw the envelope at her. "I found this in her backpack. I think you better read it."

Jessica read it alright. It was pretty much the same argument she had had with Yuri a few days ago. "Wait...this...this was the letter Yuri was talking about!" she exclaimed. "How did she get it?"

Tiffany shrugged. "Beats me, but she thinks the two of you are scheming to put her away."

Jessica gaped at her friend. "And she showed you this?" She suddenly remembered the day she found Krystal hanging around outside her apartment door. Krystal had been holding her stomach as if she had an ache, but she said she was ok. It suddenly hit her that KRystal might have been hiding the note under her shirt, and had read the note, and was hiding it ever since! 

"NO!" Tiffany snapped. "I FOUND it! Weren't you listening?" They queited down as a few nurses glared at them. "Look, that's not all. Your sister has a few secrets that no one knows about."

"So? We all do!" Jessica said. 

"I found painkillers," Tiffany continued. "Did you know that?"

Jessica looked at her friend with wide eyes before shaking her head. 

"Well, I'd like to know why she has them," Tiffany growled. "There's obviously something else going on that we dont' know about."

"Maybe she doesn't want you to know,"Jessica pointed out hotly. "How do you think she'd feel knowing you went in her stuff?"

Tiffany glared at her. "As if you do?"

"Fany, I told you to stay out of this," Jessica growled.

"How can I?" Tiffany demanded. "When you obviously don't care about her?"

"Of course I do!" Jessica cried.

"Tch!" Tiffany scoffed. "well, you better figure yourself out, Jess. This girl isn't ready to believe that. How are you going to win her back?"

Jessica hissed with frustration. "Fany-"

"Don't tell me to stay out of this," Tiffany cut in. "Because I know you guys are going to need my help on this. , Jess, you come to me for advice about this stuff recently, so who says I can of can't stay out of this?" She sighed and looked away. "Look, Krystal trusts me a bit more than you. Maybe if you let me explain some things to her, it might cool off the tension between the two of you."

Tiffany looked at where Krystal's room door was. "I don't think it's a good idea for you to see her right now. She's a little stressed." Honestly, Tiffany didn't want her to see Krystal because she herself was angry at Jessica. She didn't think Jessica would even be qualified to be known as Krystal's older sister.

Jessica blinked and sat back down. "Fany, what have I done?"

Tiffany gave her a long look. "This is something you need to figure out on your own. Before you even come asking me for help, you have to figure yourself out first. What do you really want to do?" 

She was about to leave when Jessica called her back. "Wait, Fany. There's something....I found out."

Tiffany looked back at her. "Can't we talk this over later?"

Jessica shook her head. "You have to see it for yourself." She pulled out an envelope with Krystal's name on it. "So you weren't the only one snooping around her business, Fany."

Her friend reached for the envelope and pulled out the letter to read it. She was quite surprised by what she read versus what Jessica had told her all those years ago. "So," Tiffany looked up from it. "You were wrong after all."

"Don't rub it in," Jessica growled and snatched it from her. "He's not coming back, so I was half right anyway."

"I was talking about the stuff you told me all that time ago," Tiffany said sternly. "So! What are you gonna do?" SHe folded her arms in front of her chest. "Now that you know the truth, adn now that we know your dad isn't coming back, how are you going to break the news to her?"

Jessica faltered. "I...I don't know...I don't know what to do first. Do I tell her that father is gone, or tell her what an idiot I've been?"

Tiffany shook her head. "That's for you to decide, Jess. But don't tell her now. She still needs to recover." She put a hand on her friend's shoulder. "It'll give you some tiem to figure out what to say too."

Jessica sighed. "thanks, Tiffany."

"And what I said earlier...I didn't want to sound like a jerk, although it's probably true," Tiffany told her. "But...I'm sure that...if you really want it, you can win your sister back again. You just need to do it right." She checked her watch. "We can talk more later, but I have to go. See you."

Jessica watched her friend leave.

She flipped open the letter from father to Krystal. "What am I going to do?" she leaned her head back against the wall.

 

*Krystal POV*

I felt so useless just lying here on the bed in eternal darkness. 

I don't want people feeding me cardboard soup.

I don't want people treating me like a baby.

I don't want them to see me like I'm some disabled person.

I don't want them to treat me like I can't do anything.

And most of all, I don't want to need anyone. I've never needed anyone before.

How was I going to survive on my own like this?

And what about my sister? What was she going to say about this? I hoped Tiffany's words were true and she wouldn't be mad. But I also didn't want her to fussily worry over me. I couldn't even fathom the thought. 

It was already awkward enough knowing that she's kissed me a couple times and that I'd changed her and seen her half .

Oh my god...If I have to shower at home, and she tries to help me...But who said it had to be her?

But just the thought of knowing that I might need someone else to help me with that was already making me squirm.

The door opened and I thought it might be the nurse come back to change stuff and poke me around. Luckily, it wasn't, but the person didn't say anything. That's one of the THOUSANDS of downsides of being blind. You don't know who's come to see you. It could be anyone, maybe even a serial killer...hopefully they can detect those on the spot.

I heard the person sigh as he or she sat down heavily on the chair.

"Soojung."

Oh. It was my sister. I wondered what she wanted now.

Actually, she didn't seem all that hostile when she was here earlier. In fact, she sounded more gentle...I suppose Tiffany might have been right.

"Are you feeling better?" she asked quietly. Her voice sounded kind of nervous.

"I guess," I replied.

"I'm glad," she said after a while.

I almost wanted to say something that might have been mean, but I bit my tongue on that. If she didn't care about me then she probably wouldn't have come in the first place, or she might have scolded me already.

And she wouldn't have stayed the whole night with me.

Did I believe it? Or am I just trying to convince myself?

I jumped a little bit when the feeling of her hand taking hold of mine broke me from my thoughts. I felt the pressure lessen as if she were about to let go, but she didn't. Her hands were soft, but they were cold like ice.

It was silent after that. 

I just lay there in eternal darkness, while Jessica was on the other side. 

After a while, I might have dropped off for a bit. I was only half awake when I felt my sister brush my cheek gently with her thumb. Then, I felt her lips against my cheek. I could literally feel them a heartbeat before she actually kissed me.

I jolted awake and felt the heat rushing to my face. Oh no! How embarassing! I could feel my head pulsating as my whole face heated up, and my heart beat rapidly with nervousness and embarassment. There was no way she couldn't not notice this.

The only problem was I liked it. The kiss, I mean.

Was that even a problem?

I suddenly started to doubt what I'd told Tiffany earlier. I was kind of frustrated so I didn't really mean much of what I'd said. I didn't mean to sound angry at least, but it was hard getting used to the fact I was now blind. 

Jessica started to caress my head, and I would be lying if I said it didn't feel nice. However, because I was still flushed with embarassment, I moved away and turned my head away from her.

I was still uneasy around her...even though I knew she was the one who found me first and took me here. So...did she care?

"Oh, hello," it was the doctor's voice. "It's a good thing I caught you here, Ms. Jung." I heard rustling of papers. "I would like to speak with you."

"Oh, sure," I heard my sister say and get up to leave. I felt her hand slip out of mine.

 

*Jessica POV*

"I found you some programs for your sister," he said. "HOwever, I do believe that money is probably something all people are thinking about. These programs can get expensive depending on the quality and location of the program. So take a look at these. You don't have to send her to a program, but I believe it wil be vital if she hopes to be somewhat independent later on."

I took teh papers and brochures from the doctor. "Thanks."

"Now, I don't know how available you are because your sister will need help getting used to this new life," he continued. "You may need a nurse to take care of her. I can get you a few recommendations, but remember you don't have to. I'm just giving you suggestions to help the both of you ease up some. It's going to be a little bit difficult not just for her, but you too and her friends."

I nodded. "Thanks for you help. Really."

"Everything will be fine, Ms. Jung. Believe me on this one. Just remember that she's still a regular person and her disability right now doesn't make her any lesser than anyone." The doctor pat her shoulder. "If you have any questions let me know. I'd be happy to help." He paused. "Most people usually take this very hard, but your sister seems calm about it. She's not as vocal as most patients we have here."

I stood there, wondering what exactly he meant by that last sentence. Of course it wouldn't make her any lesser. She was intetlligent and independent. The only thing was she needed to get used to it.

I went back inside and found her sleeping peacefully. 

I didn't miss the way she flinched when I held her hand. I guess she still found me intimidating. ANd that was my fault.

But I couldn't but smile with amusement when she blushed after I'd kissed her. I thought she was sleeping, but I must have woken her up. It was kind of cute actually.

I leaned down to kiss her one more time before I left. Somehow, it felt so surreal that I was able to have physical contact with her, and just to see her for the first time in my entire life.

I was so wrong. How could I have thought that pushing her away would make things better?

If anything, it just made matters worse, especially because we were all that was left of family, and now I've put into her head that I don't want her.

Before you even come asking me for help, you have to figure yourself out first, Tiffany's words echoed. What do you really want to do?

I think I already knew the answer, but the only problem was how.

--------

i hope this was ok. I tried I really did

pls leave comment. I love to see what you think and who knows what will happen next? :)

<3

take care, friends! It is suddenly so cold and it's supposed to be summer here...