|| Chapter 5

How Park Chanyeol ruined my Life (Hiatus)

Get it.


Be my date for prom night", Sehun's voice echoes in my ear.

I don't understand the world anymore.

Why does a guy like this want me for his prom date?

And why must he be Park Chanyeol's brother?

My heart beats faster at the thought of Park Chanyeol. His face, his smile, his deep voice. It all makes me crazy, and now I have to go out with his satanic little brother to keep him from telling him that I run around telling random strangers he was my boyfriend.

Back then, in my times, teens weren't unrespectful enough to blackmail innocent girls like me. Except for Luhan, he would feed an orphan to a shark for entertainment purposes.

I bury my face deeper into my pillow. Not even SHINee's JoJo can calm me down right now - my thoughts circulate restlessly through my head. It's been two days since I met Sehun and I still can't figure out a solution.

So much for my spring break. There's no way I can relax and forget about my problems if new ones are to add. I can't even sleep properly because of the stupid Bangtans yelling every morning.

"I should go out" I mumble to myself. 

I look at my alarm clock. It's nine o'clock. 

I heard people my age go out at this time. Doing stuff. Living their lives. 

But thinking about going outside at night… alone… in a world full of rapists and Luhan's… no, that's too scary. 

And because my life reacts to code words like "please don't", "hoe don't do it" and "scary", someone starts to knock at my door.

"Who's there knocking on my door?" I whisper dramatically, because there's no way I'm missing the chance for a SHINee reference.

I tiptoe to my door carefully, making sure to make no sound, so the possible murderer can't hear me.

"Open up, it's me. I can hear you tiptoeing" Minseok's voice says right before I reach the door.

I take a look at his face through the peephole. 

I freeze for a second. Minseok looks awfully stressed.

There's a huge bag besides him. 

Did something happen? Is he getting divorced from Luhan?

Worry starts to grow inside of me as I open the door, only to immediately get hugged tightly.

"Three days", he says. "Don't ever dare to disappear for three days without answering calls again. You are going to make me die." 

"S-sorry…" I stutter awkwardly, feeling warmth rise in my heart. I totally forgot that others could worry about me.

And I forgot that I have great friends like Minseok.

Minseok parts from the hug to look at me intently. "You haven't slept well." He musters my zombie-like appearance disapprovingly. "You hungry? Show me your kitchen."

Kim Minseok is a live saver.

 

After a dinner consisting of spaghetti and cheese, (which Minseok magically managed to make taste like a feast) I confess all the happenings regarding Sehun and my search for female friends.

Minseok sighs, shaking his head, facepalming several times through my story. 

"This can't be real", he groans. "You've always been so easy to handle. What the hell is happening?" Minseok shakes his head again. I know he fears having to take care of another Luhan.

"It's only ever since I met my dream boy at a parking lot!" I try to defend myself. "I've always been fine living by myself. I was okay. But suddenly a wild Park Chanyeol appears and ruins my life!"

Minseok laughs weakly, head still shaking. "We have to learn how to deal with this. However, I still doubt that your life will turn normal again after we managed to make this guy fall for you."

I cough on my Mountain Dew.

After we manage to… what?! 

Did… did Kim Minseok just imply that he will seriously help me?

He smiles at my reaction. "I was against it, but I saw that guy at the station yesterday. There was a pre-schooler who tripped badly, which reminded me on how much you and Luhan would laugh at the scene. Then, after I saw how this guy, Park Chanyeol, helped the child to get up, I knew he would make a good counterpart to you." Minseok shudders. "Because I wouldn't feel comfortable giving you to a Luhan."

"You are my best friend" I breathe out, on the verge of crying, bending across the table to hug him. "But why the did you encounter my bae while I only met his bratty little brother?"

Minseok laughs again, and it brightens my day.

"It has been a long evening." Minseok points at the clock above the door to my room. "Take a rest. I will tidy up."

 

It's easier to fall asleep when there's Minseok who hums and smiles at me, watching TV silently. The colourful glimmering of the monitor slowly fades as I drift into sleep, feeling warm and protected.

 

The next day begins without yelling Bangtans but the smell of pancakes waking me up.
Minseok would make a great wife is my first thought this morning, even before I yawn and roll out of bed.

I could marry him. I want to marry him.

But something's off.

I freeze. The laughter of several men are echoing down the hallway, coming from the kitchen.

"Minseok?" I ask, carefully taking steps towards the kitchen.

The voices get louder right before I step inside.

The sight that unfolds in front of my eyes is anything I would have never expected.

"Oh, good morning! Pancakes?" 

I swallow hardly.

Minseok is wearing my frilly pink apron, the one that came with a pan set I bought when I moved in this flat. A huge tower of pancakes, at least ten centimetres high, stands on the dining table - but the disturbing part is yet to come.

Seven teenage boys sit at my table, in my flat, eating pancakes my wife friend made out of my ingredients.

They greet me with bright smiles, and I suddenly know why there hasn't been any yelling this morning.

Minseok stuffed them with food.

Minseok let The Bangtans come inside my flat. My kitchen. My crib.

I absolutely have to emigrate now.

"What's wrong? You don't look so good, noona!" A Bangtan states, suddenly friendly with me, instead of yelling at me about hip hop . 

How food can change people's attitude. 

"Minseok" I breathe shakily breath out. No words can describe how disturbed I am right now. I mean… noona. What the . I won't ever be able to listen to Replay peacefully. "Why."

"Well", he begins, leading me to the dining table and forcing me to sit down next to the "HOPE"-necklace guy. "Enjoy your pancakes first."

And hell, I do.

I forget how angry I am for a full time of eight minutes, before looking at Minseok again.

"Why?" I repeat my question, trying not to sound as offended as I feel. I fail, though.

"He told us about Sehunnie", hope-guy speaks up before Minseok can even open his mouth. "We can help you! Sehun is a lot softer than he seems." He's giving me an eye smile and thumbs up that makes the sun starts to shine, birds sing and the world becoming a better place. North Korea burns all nuclear weapons and joins the South, they reunite. No one in the world is hungry anymore. Africa starts too bloom. Everyone's happy. No war, no hate. Just love and rainbows.

I want to murder him.

"How could you?" I ask Minseok, the dramatically hurt sound still lingering in my voice. 

Minseok sighs, now sitting down himself. I never remember buying more than three chairs, but now's not the time to wonder about this. "I think they can really help you."

I want to object, I want to yell at him, but there are seven incredibly rude Bangtans in my kitchen, so it isn't surprising that one of them interrupts before I have the chance to.

"He's been in our class since fifth grade, we know more than everything about him. And a lot about his brother, too," a guy with muscluar arms and the voice of a twelve year olf says. He grins diabolically.

And this is how I got seven new guy friends instead of one single female friend.

 

Roughly three hours and about twenty pancakes later, I know Oh Sehun's whole curriculum vitae, his blood type and family's story.

Apparently Park Chanyeol's mum married Sehun's father when little Yeollie was only about three years old - changed her name to Oh and gave birth to Sehun. Sehun has three part-time jobs because he wants to leave home as soon as possible; a typical teenager with I-hate-everyone-attitude.

Sadly, the boys seem to have no knowledge about Chanyeol's personality and the rumours of him being… well, insane and a crack dealer.

"We only saw him last year on a dancing performance Sehun had last year. He was clapping like an idiot and looking a bit overly enthusiastic. His haircut was awful."

Yes, that's my boy.

 

And as if all that information wasn't enough news for one day, also I find out that SHINee's comeback got confirmed; which means that Minseok has to deal with a hyperventilating, crying mess called myself for the whole evening.

"Did you see the concept?" I sob, shaking Minseok on his shoulders. "It's so beautiful. After all this time. They come back. SHINee's back…" I whisper the last words before I start to pretend I have a mic so I can "dance" Dream Girl while imitating Taemin's part.

I’m glad that The Bangtans already left - it would be bothersome to let them see my true self.

All in all, it's an informative day - I'm glad it ends as abrupt as has begun.

 

The next morning Minseok and I go out early so we won't meet The Bangtans and get forced to watch their performances, and find a nice little cafe to discuss our current situation.

"I know you don't want to", he begins, and I already know what he's going to say, "but you should really, really call Luhan. He thinks you are dead and cries a river every time you miss a call by him. I promise I won't tell him I'm with you if you call him in exchange."

"Let me think about it." I sip on my black tea like a lady. "No."

Minseok leans back in his seat and breaths out loudly. "Then at least visit that party of Baekhyun to-" I grimace already at his suggestion. "God, listen to me, alright? You will have the change to face Luhan in a drunken state, so you can blame his reaction on him afterwards. And you will meet that Chansomething guy. Is that an idea?"

I still sulk, shifting a bit. "Well…" The thought of me in a mass of drunken youths, drunk friends of Byun Baekhyun… no.

Definitely no.

Then I think about Park Chanyeol and our future children, and I think yes, hell yes. 

"But I have nothing to wear", I object weakly.

"I know a solution." Minseok smiles and I know what's going to happen.

Who is going to happen.

 

It's not even one o'clock when he arrives - using tons of hairspray while getting out of the huge SUV and completely ignoring the coughs of the chocking driver.

"I heard we have a fashion emergency?" He says as he walks up to Minseok and me. 

I'm not sure if this will end nicely.

"Hello, Tao." I sigh before I face the owner of the car. "And hello Kris."

 

"You have to look desirable. Not like a nun." Tao says, disbanding the cute dress I found. "No collars. You have to show what you got. Believe me, boys don't fall for cute girls. It's all about being ty."

"Oh god…" I palm my face while being on the verge of dying.

How am I supposed to find a dress if he's gonna stay?

"Pure girls are more popular. But you have to be special, you are dressing to plainly. Don't look like a nice girl. Cute, but dangerous, flirty. You give off that vibe of a ." Kris looks at me with his face and I feel the urge to punch him really hard.

"I think the dress looks nice." Minseok smiles at me. This lovely little thing is absolutely perfect, and I'm not talking about the dress.

I look at myself in the mirror once again. The mixture of a blouse and a dress looks rather cute; white collar underneath a pastel brown dress. Long sleeves, bows and some ruffles - absolutely my taste. Maybe I'm blinded.

"Alright, search another one. But nothing to revealing, you all know the rules."

The boys nod, and I prepare myself for the worst.

Not even ten minutes later Kris and Tao come back with several dresses. A huge pile of dresses. About forty dresses per person.

Minseok is waiting patentialy waiting for me to try them on, making me proud of him. I know he's not the type to care too much about clothing, which makes me even more thankful for his patience and help.

I have to sort out half of the dresses.

Too short, too bright, sleeveless, glittery and weird. It's like those two give a about my rules.

My eyes get stuck on a dress Tao choose, though. 

"Isn't this a bit too casual?" I ask him, stepping out of the cabin. 

The top of the dress has a T-shape, going over to an A-line skirt. The dark blue cloth feels nice and smooth and the red waist bow compliments my shape. It's cute, but looks more like something I would wear to classes, since I'm always overdressed anyway.

Tao claps, Kris snaps and Minseok cheers. 

"You look great!"

"Not ty enough, but you smell like anyway."

"Damn it, why did you choose his dress over mine?"


I roll my eyes at the reactions. But hey, seems like I found a dress.

My heart beats faster. I'm ready for you, Park Chanyeol.

 

"I'm not ready for this!" I sob dramatically, throwing my mobile phone in a corner of my room. This comeback is going to destroy me.

"Do you seriously think it's more important to watch a live stream of a concert you cannot attend instead of meeting the guy you like?" Minseok asks, but he sure does know the answer.

It's an awful dilemma - SHINee World IV, the most beautiful event I could have asked for takes place tomorrow - on the Saturday of Baekhyun's party.

"Please, for once. Live in the real world." Minseok lets a hand through his hair. His despair is audible.

I take a longing look at my SHINee Ring Ding Dong era poster. Five beautiful, perfect boys. The boys I love the most in this world.

But as soon as I close my eyes there's Park Chanyeol smiling at me. His messy hair, cute ears and creepy -smile.

His whole perfection.

"I'm sorry" I mumble, looking at Onew on my poster. "But I have a and raging hormones, so don't blame me."

Minseok doesn't even comments on this, he leaves and makes dinner like the nice guy he is. 

I'm blessed and cursed at the same time.

I sigh. This all makes no sense.

Just as I decide to stay in bed until tomorrow evening, a strange sound appears out of nowhere.

Boom.

Boom.

Someone's throwing rocks at my window.

"Oh god." I already know who this is.

Please, stop. I'm not here.

Boom.

Boom, boom. Boom.

"Please don't let it be Luhan. Please, SHINee. Don't punish me for my decision."

Boom.

"Come ouuuuuut!" The voice is muffled and distant, but I would always recall the angelic voice of the devil.

Just ignore it. Just.

CRASH.

My window turns into shards as a huge ing rock lands on my floor.


"COME OUT BEFORE I'M FORCED TO COME IN!" He yells like the biggest psychopath ever, his voice breaking already. 

This guy is god damn insane. Like really, really insane. Someone to appear on Criminal Minds. Wait, no. I really love that show, I don't want Luhan to ruin this too.

"YOU ING PILE OF DON'T YOU DARE TO THREATEN ME!" I yell back, not moving a centimetre.
Another rock follows, making my floor burst.

"I told you, you should call him." Minseok's stands in the doorframe, wearing my apron again.

"I THOUGH WE WERE FRIENDS!" The third rock creates a disgusting sound of destruction on my already dead wooden floor.

That's it.

I stand up and everything happens to fast - me elevating a rock, Minseok trying to stop me, and me throwing the rock at a certain orange haired assfart in my yard.

The evening ends with me holding Luhan's hand in the ambulance. 

 

"Fighting in the relationship?" The paramedic laughs while examining Luhan's wound. His whole face is strained with blood and I feel a bit guilty for being proud that I hit him that bad.

"You could say that." Luhan grins stupidly and I would beat him up, but I have to look concerned. "She's a wild one."

The paramedic musters me before he grins ertedly. "Not hard to believe."

I really want to vomit.

The ride to the hospital is short but bothersome. I really feel guilty as Luhan gets taken into the operating theatre. But it can't be that bad if he's still able to annoy the nurses.

Minseok needs a half hour to arrive at the waiting room, having to use the train. "Is he okay?" He asks, totally out of breath.

"I guess…" My stomach clenches. I've never felt this guilty in my life.

"Hey." Minseok puts his hand on my shoulder. "It's not your fault."

Just as I'm about to answer, a nurse steps inside of the room.

"Are you the family of Luh Hahn?" Usually I'd laugh because of her pronunciation of his name, but there's a huge knot in my throat.

"We are his parents!" I say without thinking. Because I'm dumb. Seriously, what the ?

She blinks several times, looking to Minseok's still serious expression, then back at me. "Alright then… Mr and Mrs Han. Your son is awake now."

I rarely run, but now is one of the occasions Mr and Mrs Han run hand in hand to be with their wounded son, not caring about the strange looks they get.

"Luhan!" Minseok and I scream in unison as soon as we enter Luhan's room. None of us cares about anything else, ignoring the other patients, as we run over to Luhan's bed.

"My bandage" Luhan whines without greeting us. He looks miserable with his bandaged forehead.

"Is it too tight?" Minseok asks, voice full of concern.

"Luhannie, should we call a nurse? Is everything alright?" I touch his cheek. He's warm and soft and I feel ready to die out of guilt.

"My bandage…" Luhan repeats himself, obviously still dizzy from the surgery. "I…"

"Yes?" Minseok and I speak simultaneously, eyebrows furrowed in worry.

"It's…" Luhan starts to sob. "It's blue! I have ing blue, I told them to use red, damn it! Blue is for losers!"

There goes my guilt.

"…I'm gonna buy some snacks. See you guys later." Without saying anything else, I turn around and leave the room.

Hospitals are silent at night.

I'm glad nobody is there to look at me as I sit in the entrance hall, clenching on a plastic cup filled with bad coffee. I don't even like coffee. Not at all.

My mind is blank for a second, until all the thoughts rush over me like an avalanche. Nearly one week passed and everything that happened is . I nearly killed the person that means the most to me in the entire universe and I'm not able to communicate with the boy I like. I gulp, facing the floor.

Ugly tiles. 

"What are you doing here?"

I jerk at the sound of a slightly familiar voice echoing down the hallway. I look up, only to feel as if someone punched me in the stomach.

"Don't bother me" I growl, looking away from him. 

I hear steps coming nearer, and I pray to SHINee that he will just pass by.

But SHINee's busy preparing for the comeback, so I don't blame them when I look up at Kim Kai standing in front of me.

I blink a few times to realize he is wearing some kind of uniform.

"Your eyes are red. Why did you cry?"

"Why do you care?" I snort. "And what's with your clothes? Are you a doctor now?"

"No." I feel him sitting down next to me, still facing the ugly tiles, now counting the little dots in the stone. "What happened?"

I stay silent.

Four, five, six dots. Those tiles really are extremely ugly.

"You don't have parents, do you? They don't live here anymore, did they left you behind?"

Ouch. Another punch in the guys.

Twelve, thirteen, fourteen.

"It's about that crazy boy you always hang out with, right? He's practically your brother."

Sixteen, seventeen. Since when does this manwhore know so much about me?

"Whatever you might think, it's never your fault."

Don't cry now. Twenty, twenty-one…

Tear after tear escapes my eyes, right before I feel Kim Kai's arms wrap around me. "It's okay", he whispers.

I have no idea why I don't push him away, why I keep on crying, but it feels good. Like the weight of the world suddenly falls from my shoulders.

"Are you…" I regain my strength to pull away from his embrace, still sniffing, "a volunteer or something?"

Kai smiles, but it's not his Kai-smile - I feel like he's another person suddenly.

I peer at the name tag on his clothing; Kim Jongin.

"Yeah, I guess I am. I'm in charge of physical rehabilitation. You know, working with people who had accidents… and stuff. Apparently dancing can cure a lot." He laughs shyly, scratching his head. "When the nurses are overworked at night, I sometimes help them, too. So here I am."

"Is this an act?" Slips out of my mouth. 

Kai, no, Jongin blinks at me curiously. "What do you mean?"

"This." I point at his whole appearance. "You look like you enjoy dinners with your mum, petting puppies and helping the world. In school you're acting like… a ."

Jongin looks at me for a moment, before facing the floor. Is he blushing?

"Don't tell anyone about this, alright? Especially not Baekhyun."

I don't know why, but I whisper "I promise."

It's two in the night when I part with Jongin. I find out that he indeed likes puppies; poodles to be exact. He promises to introduce his dogs to me one day. We bid goodbye and I go back to Luhan's room, to find my two favourite boys being fast asleep, hands entangled.

They are so gay, it's unreal. 

I grab a chair and sit by them, looking at Luhan, who drools in his sleep and Minseok, who simply looks like an angelic hamster.

"I ship you both so hard", I whisper before leaning my torso at the mattress and drift into sleep.

 

I find out that Luhan is a terrible sleeper the hard way. I wake up several times to Luhan's whaling sound and ual moans of Minseok's and my name. I don't feel comfortable at all to be a part of his little dream , so I feel forced to wake up at five pm.

There's a boy, another patient, probably a bit older than I am, in Luhan's room, too. He seems to be awake, even though it's so early. Maybe the nurses were here already? I already wondered why the hell his bed looks tidied up, yesterday. He's probably just tidy.

I stretch and yawn, feeling awfully worn out. I look at Minseok and Luhan in envy, both still in dreamland while I'm suffering. 

I jerk and feel like I'm gonna get a heart attack as the door to the room suddenly opens. It's probably just a nurse, so I sit back. Until I hear the voices.

"Are you alright?" The first voice is full of concern.

It's Kim Jongin's voice.

I curiously peek through the curtain that divides the room into two parts. Kim Jongin is standing in front of the bed of the other patient, awfully worried, looking ready to die. He hysterically touches the face of the guy in the bed, probably to see if he has a fever or something.

"I'm fine. Don't touch me." The guy answers. His voice sounds smooth and beautiful, but his tone is cold as ice.

One second later I feel a pair of huge eyes look at me. I freeze, not able to look away. It feels like I'm having a stare competition with an owl.

It's not long until Kim Jongin follows the guy's stare and his eyes land on mine, too. I gulp.

"H-hey."

"Hello." The two boys say in unison, and I really could die out of embarrassment.

So that's how he knew about Luhan being hospilitized.

I'm not in the mood for mischievous manwhores right now.

After Jongin, Kai, or whoever he actually is, clears his throat, the one sided conversation between the two goes on. In the following half hour I find out that Kim Kai seems to be awfully gay for owl-boy without even realizing it.

I think about all the girls I saw him have last year. It must have been about twenty-thousand-three, plus four? I don't know, but it's clearly what psychologists call overcompensation.

I decide to ignore the homouality that's literally behind the curtain and focus on being alive instead.


Because I know what's going to happen tonight.

 

Luhan gets out of the hospital without further problems. The doctor assures us that the scar will be minimal and fade eventually, so we decide to get some food while discussing the recent happenings with Luhan, too.

"Whoa, that Sehun hit on you? And he's Channy's brother? Mind! I stopped going to this shop because he always tried to get my number!" Luhan munches his third hamburger, spitting in my face in the process. I don't get how he stays skinny while I look like a whale ready to get eaten by the Japanese.

"Don't call him Channy. He's no rapper." I sigh. Great, another possible involving Luhan. Luhan × Sehun × Me, the new OTP. Ugh. Why can't Park Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun ring my doorbell instead for a little y time? "And don't say "mind", you sound like a ten year old who has just discovered the internet."

"Whatever!" Luhan rolls his eyes. "More important is to make a plan for tonight! I think we should corner Channy and you and lock you up in the bathroom until he s you. You can still be all lovey-dovey afterwards."

I hit my head on the table several times. As if it wasn't cruel enough to make me eat at Burger King, after all the that happened last summer, no, Luhan also wants to make me Park Chanyeol. I'm too pretty for prison.

"There's no plan. I'm going to this party for to catch a glimpse of him and have free food. That's it. No alcohol, no boys. Everything will turn out normally.

 

I don't know what I expected Byun Baekhyun's house to be like. I'm still kind of surprised.

It's no villa, no castle - Byun Baekhyun lives not far from the centre of Seoul in an average sized house that looks more like a flat. No pool, nothing that would make him seem like a rich kid. Only a cute little balcony and a nice veranda. He still must be rich enough to pay rent for something like this in a city like this.

I sigh, trying to fix my dress. So really everyone is richer than me.

"Are you ready?" Minseok's voice is soothing, but my heart still throbs at the thought of having to do this.

"No," I say, "but let's do this."

 

Now it's time, and nobody can stop me.

 


 

Sorry for getting out of point once again. I wanted this chapter to be about the party, but it came out too long so I made a cut. I hope you still enjoy it, as slow-paced as it is. Leave a comment and tell me if you like it.

(I had to write this on my mobile phone and post it from the school computer, so there wasn't really a way to get this spellchecked. This will probably continue because my laptop died, I hope you won't feel too uncomfortable.)