|| Chapter 22

How Park Chanyeol ruined my Life (Hiatus)

Best place.


The thirty-first of August will eternally be the most saddening day in my entire life, that's for sure.

 

Breakfast is awkward.

I'm calm, too calm, and the others notice. They don't mention it, but I know they've been listening.

I can sense the desire of my friends to beat the out of Sehun, but I assume my cold expression is enough to hold them back.

Luhan's open suitcase filled with semi fashionable clothes and a thick photo album full of beautiful memories lies next to my kitchen table. I'm eating my toast silently, trying not to look at my left and facing the proof that this era is going to end soon.

Luhan looks tired, hella tired. The six of us all spend the night together, laying around and telling each other stories, reminding us of all those weird moments full of happiness. None of us got any sleep, so it's no big deal that he's yawning like he's going to fade soon.

It's a Friday. The last one before college starts again.

At least for most of us.

I still don't know how to tell the remaining ones of my friends the news I've been hiding ever since I packed my bags and decided to never see Park Chanyeol again. I googled how to tell friends youre cancelling on college only because of some stupid boy several times. And if even google can't help you, you're doomed. But it's not only because of that dork - it's by far more than this.

After all these years I still feel like I don't belong here. Korea is just like Sehun. Making me believe everything is going to be okay, then making my life really weird and complicated and in the end it cheats on me. Not the nicest country to live in.

Another reason is, of course, Luhan. Since he and Minseok won't be there anymore I don't see any chance in surviving college anymore. With Luhan Inalways had someone who would understand my foreign point of view, and with Minseok someone to take care of me a and support me. But now I'm all alone, and that's exactly how I feel. The checks by Luhan's father won't be necessary anymore either. And the best about all this is that he can't kick my when he's in China, so I only have to worry about Minseok and… well, also Tao, that clingy .

I take a look out of the window. The sky is blue, there's no cloud in sight. The sunlight is annoyingly warm and I can hear some birds ing on a nearby tree. It's so peaceful and lively. I really want to burn this place down.

Support is something I need if I plan on leaving the country. The only person I have back in Europe is my mom and she's with her new husband. My dad is lost in space, that er could be anywhere. I don't know. He's not really known for showing responsibility.

"Seems like I'm trapped," I mumble to myself. Getting a job would probably be the wisest choice. But who would actually hire me? What should I apply for? My only talents are sleeping and talking . And I know the lyrics to over hundred SHINee songs. 138 in total, actually. But having no life isn't a talent.

"Plan for today?" Chen asks out of nowhere. He looks really handsome today in his red shirt and freshly dyed hair, now shimmering in a warm brown colour. I'm saying handsome on purpose; it's an ugly word and I'm too upset about him looking better than me to actually give him the honor to be called pretty.

"Getting everything done," Minseok responds. His tone is bitter as he runs his fingers through his now dark hair.

Luhan going back to his father means Luhan changing his hair back to black. And we wouldn't be the trio if Minseok and I wouldn't change it back, too. I had no idea how difficult it is to dye hair after it was bleached, but since I look like a mess and my hair still isn't as black as before, I know now.

"I will spend the day with Luhan at the bank, managing everything and also getting his stuff out of his apartment," Minseok continues. He sighs, remembering how much work it'll be for him.

"Luhan had a home? I never realized," Tao says, pretending to be shocked. "He's been freeloading all the time."

"It's pretty big, actually. I've been there a lot during high school," I respond. "It looks more like a palest hidden in a skyscraper than anything else."

"You greedy have been living off the costs of this poor girl? I get why they deport you."

We all laugh weakly at Tao's joke. The atmosphere is still tense.

"There's one thing I want to do before tomorrow morning, though," Luhan suddenly says. His voice is quiet and soft and catches us all by surprise. "But it's something I have to do alone." Then he looks at Minseok, who nods.

Something is going on, I can see it in Minseok's eyes. Like he exactly knows what Luhan is talking about.

We don't question him, so he and Minseok leave to go to handle the move. I decide to leave them and go hunt for some jobs instead. Not for everything in the world I'm going to watch how Minseok prepares stuff for Luhan leaving. I'd rather die than being a part of this tragedy.

 

Seoul is such an annoying place on holidays. People are everywhere, not only regular people, but mascots and women waving with cosmetic samples. To save myself from walking through the sea of bodies I decide to go to my favourite place in the world.

The KFC is full of people, so ordering takes ten minutes and finding a seat is more difficult than getting Luhan to wear pants around the house. After five minutes of staring at my own fillet bites and waiting for someone to leave, some guys give me their table (and stare at my chest, but that's okay as long as I can have chicken soon) and I sigh out in relief.

I blink in surprise when I realize that one of them doesn't go away. Speaking of that, he sits on the edge of the table to avoid taking too much space. He looks down at the table and I can't see his face because of his hood. He's probably not one of them, his hot wings aren't even finished yet. There's a huge pile of bones beneath them, though. Just how much did this guy order?

I shrug and sit on the other side of the table, the safety gap between me and the stranger. He honestly looks like a creep. His head hangs low while eating his hot wings messily, like a wild animal. My appetite fades.

I start eating my fillet bites in silence, not minding the weird guy. I'm not even finished with two pieces when a guy suddenly stands just where I was a few minutes ago, looking down at me. He probably wants to sit down since the rest of the restaurant is full, so I smile politely and nod at him.

The guy grins brightly. He looks like a wannabe ulzzang with his hairstyle and perfect skin. I really hate people with perfect skin. Worst is, he doesn't know private space. The bank is long, but he's sitting so close our thighs touch, well, if you can call those sticks he carries around thighs. I look at his table, judging his food choices. Only fries. Who the goes to KFC to eat fries only?

"You're cute!" Ulzzang boy smiles at me brightly and catches me unguarded. I choke on my chicken. This skinny guy thinks I'm cute? I'm sorry, but I'm twice your weight, dude. I will crush you.

"Thanks," I mumble, not sure if he heard. It's awfully loud with all the people talking and children yelling inside of here.

"Are you foreign?" He smiles and it's probably supposed to be charming. I don't find anything attractive about this guy though. He looks like every conceited Korean guy I've ever met, nothing special. He's no Park Chanyeol.

"Yeah," I answer, tone plain and uninterested. He doesn't get the hint though and just keeps on talking.

"I've always wanted to date a foreign girl." He grins at me. Ugh, am I some kind of now? Does he like fat girls with double eyelids?

Speaking of double eyelids, in this light I can see he messed up his eyelid glue. It looks stupid. Just like his brows, they're drawn too straight for his face shape. Someone needs to tell that guy how to do his make-up.

"Good for you." My mouth is full of chicken as I give him thumbs up.

"You sure like to eat." His gaze lands on my chest. Wow, great. Here I am, wearing Minseok's T-Shirt, mouth full of food, but getting hit at. How amazing. Some months ago I would have felt flattered, but now I just want to go home.

"Did you just call me fat?" I grimace in distaste. This guy is so, so annoying. He even drew a mole on his face. The is wrong with ulzzangs these days.

"I like curvy girls." Now he is grinning even brighter. Cliche ahoi, all foreign girls of course love to get called curvy. It's not like it's just an excuse for saying someone's fat, no no. I'm on the verge of punching his plastic surgery face.

But someone's faster than me and the remains of an eaten hot wing lands in the guy's face.

He shrieks in horror and pure panic. I look at the direction the flying bones were coming from and nearly faint.

Chanyeol's face is angrier than I've ever seen it before. He's aiming another eaten chicken wing at the boy.

"She's not fat," he groans. He's sounding like an angry wolf, his tone so deep it sends shivers up my spine.

"I-I'm sorry man! I didn't know you are her boyfriend!" The guy jumps up in a hurry. "H-have fun!"

Then he runs away.

I have no words for what just happened. Neither does Chanyeol have, so we just stare at each other in awkward silence.

"T-that guy was gross," Chanyeol finally stutters out, breaking the quietness.

"Y-yeah," I mumble. "Thanks for uh, uhm… saving me."

He nods, his cheeks bright red. He looks adorable and so kissable that the usual pain in my chest when seeing him multiplies.

"Hey, are you… are you coming, tonight? I-I mean. To. Uhm… Baek's party. Because he holds a party, y-you know. I didn't want to go b-but if you would go, I would… uhm…" He coughs. "Y-your hair looks great by the way."

"It doesn't, but thanks." I smile awkwardly. Chanyeol looks kinda offended. I don't know if it's by my statement or my words. "But I think I'll refuse. Luhan will go back to China tomorrow morning, so there's a lot to do until then. Sorry."

"O-oh." He laughs, but it's fake and sounds like a crying bird. "That's cool with me, I-I mean… I'm sorry your friend leaves." He coughs once again. Just how dry is his throat?

"Yeah. Thanks."

Silence falls over us again. I proceed to eat my meal and when I'm finished, I clean my hands in a hurry and stand up.

"It was nice to meet you." I bow politely. Once again, he looks offended.

"It was nice for me too." He smiles weakly. I can tell he's upset about my behaviour, but I couldn't care less. It's not like he's going to like me if I change my attitude, anyway.

I nod and turn around to leave, but his hand wraps around my wrist.

I stare back at him in confusion. Damn, his arm is hella long. I could have stood three meters away from the table already, he still would have caught me. Tall people are scary.

He looks like he doesn't know what to say or do, but his grip on me doesn't loosen. His hand is dirty from the chicken marinade and paints my wrist in a spicy looking orange. Gross, but I somehow don't mind.
"I-I'm… glad you're single again," he suddenly blurts out.

My heart skips a beat. No, even not a single one but three, because I stare at him and I'm sure the world has stopped moving.

"Yeah," I whisper. "Me too."

When he lets go of my hand I turn around without looking back, still feeling the greasy grip on my wrist.

The thirty-first of August really is a memorable day.

 

"A party? What do you mean, you said no?! Of course we're going to that party!"

I should have known better than to tell Luhan. I really, really should have known better.

"We don't have any time for this, you are about to leave and-"

"Yeah, that's why we should party one last time!" Luhan grabs my shoulders and shakes me as if I was the insane one. "8 pm you said? Get dressed and we will go there immediately!"

I should really watch my mouth when I'm with Luhan…

"Great," I sigh. "One last catastrophe."

Luhan only grins at me, making it impossible to stay upset at him.

 

Baekhyun's house is just like I remember it. His face on the other hand is annoying me much more than last time.

"You are wearing jeans," he states, his eyes judging me harshly.

Well, sorry Mister Byun McBaek, that I'm not fancy enough for your emo party. Seriously, who listens to music like this while dancing?

"Yeah, and you are ugly. We are even now."

Baekhyun flashes me his signature grin. I can already feel how much this party is going to .

I grab Minseok's arm and lead him away from Luhan and Baekhyun talking. I can barely breathe in between the huge amount of drunk minors in the small living room of Baekhyun's parents. A desperate attempt to find a quiet place in this hell later, I bump into a familiar body.

"Oh! I'm sorry, did I hurt you?" A soft voice asks politely.

I look up into the face of my middle school crush, Kim Junmyeon.

"O-oh… I'm okay, no worries." I smile awkwardly and turn around to look at Minseok - who's suddenly not there anymore. , I must have lost him in the crowd…

"Aren't you a friend of Jongin's?" Junmyeon's smile is as charming as ever. Damn, he became even prettier over the years. The teenage girl trapped inside of me starts to squeal. I ask myself if he'd over Kris yet, but the hidden melancholy in his warm chocolate eyes answers already. I'm so glad Tao's not here.

"Yeah. Is he here today?" I look around curiously. If Kai was here, there was a huge chance he was already in a room with some random noona.

"I don't think so. He didn't attend because of another guest."

I blink in surprise. My first thought is owl boy, before I remember that Kai would do anything to be near that guy. Another thought comes across my mind quickly, and before I can open my mouth and voice my apprehension, a hand on my shoulder makes me twitch.

"Hyung, were you hitting on my noona?"

It feels like my blood is turning into ice.

Junmyeon laughs awkwardly. "Oh, Sehun. By no means. If you excuse me, I'm gonna find a friend of mine. Have a nice evening, you two." Junmyeon hurries up and leaves, making it obvious how uncomfortable he feels about Sehun. I don't know what exactly happened back then with Exo, but now I'm sure it wasn't just a bunch of teens growing apart.

"Leave me alone." I hiss, shaking his hand away from me. A second later his noodle body is pressed against mine from behind, his arms wrapped around my waist.

"I miss you," he whispers in my ear. The lisp is there again; I can't help but feel a sting in my chest.

"I don't want to see you anymore!" I struggle against his touch. "Leave me alone, stalker!"

"Just stay by my side…You’ll always be my lady." His breath is hot against my neck. A cold shiver runs down my spine.

“That’s enough! I’ve grown sick of you!" I scream at him, heavily trying to resist his grip.

"Those words sound like lies to me." He chuckles and turns my body around to face him. His lips are dangerously near and I feel my pulse rise. "Just by looking at your eyes I know it."

"No." I grind my teeth and stare intensely inside of his eyes. They're as dark as the night.

"I’m not going to waver any longer, noona. I love you, and you know it." His hands are trembling around my waist and he pulls me tighter. "Please… Come back to me once more. It doesn't matter how much time goes by, I can’t forget you."

My body gets limp at his words. Tears want to escape, but I'm doing my best to keep them in.

"It's too late. You cheated on me, Sehun. You need to find someone else to make you happy, because obviously I'm not the-"

He cuts me off harshly by grabbing my behind. I gasp in shock. "No matter where you are, you are my best place!" All of a sudden tears stain his eyes, rolling down both of his cheeks in a rapid speed.

"There’s no other guy who compliments you best by your side! There’s no other person by your side who could love you as much as I do!"

"It doesn't ing matter what you're saying. I can't believe you anymore, Sehun." My voice is barely more than a whisper, but by looking at his desperate expression I know he heard me.

"The memories of you and me while we were together… All of them… did you really forget?" His sobbing makes my heart ache. I touch his hair softly to make him calm down, but he just starts to cry harder. How did this all happen? Why am i the one comforting him?

"All the times we spent in happiness... And now, you speak like you don't care anymore." He chuckles sadly, his tears still not stopping. They wet my face, fall on the bridge of my nose and run down my own face as I look him in the eyes, holding my own sadness in. "Please, noona… I’m telling you, I can’t forget you…"

"You have to," I whisper.

"No!" He screams, pulling me into a bone crushing hug. He never seemed younger to me than at this moment, never more like an angry child wanting a toy his parents took away from him. And that's exactly how I feel in his arms. Like a worthless toy.

I fight against his touch desperately, but he doesn't let me go. People pass us, watching curiously, but doing nothing to help me, who is desperately trying to escape from him.

As if on cue, the face of an angel appears in the crowd behind Sehun's shoulder. I yell Luhan's name and he turns around, his eyes widening in shock before he makes his way to us, stomping and hitting people until he finally arrives.

Sehun's hands are holding me even tighter as the shorter boy glares at me.

"What do you think you're doing, kiddo?" With one hard jolt Luhan pulls me away from Sehun, freeing me from his grip. I yelp in surprise at his strength.

Sehun wipes his tears away with the back of his hand and fixes his messed up hair. Suddenly he looks like he never cried. Once again, I question the honesty of this boy. Is this all only an act by him?

"I asked you something," Luhan hisses. He sounds dangerous, but his hug is so safe that I close my eyes.

"None of your business." Gone is the lisp, his voice is cold and confident instead.

"Really? You think that's it? You're harassing a girl and that's your excuse? Where are you from? Are you from loser town, loser?"

I open my mouth and look at Luhan's face in horror. Oh, . Not this. Please, please not this…

Luhan has the habit to deliver really bad insults when he's truly angry. If that's what happening now, he's going to-

"Luhan, please..." I nervously pull on his shirt before he can open his mouth again.

But it's too late.

"Don't you dare ing with someone of my gang, you… you diaper man!"

"Luhan, I beg you-"

"My homies are my life! Don't mess with my fam,"   He yells in pure seriousness. "You… you… ham!"

His final blow.

My life is over. Luhan just called Sehun a ham. I'm ready to die, I've seen it all.

Luhan, absolutely sure that he has mentally destroyed his opponent, leans back against a wall and watches Sehun's confused expression.

Sehun moves his gaze to me. I look at the floor, half out of embarrassment because of Luhan and half because I don't want those black eyes to capture me again.

"Can we talk about this in private?" Sehun asks me. He sounds demanding and confident and it makes me want to hide from him.

"What a nice night, am I right guys?"

I twitch in surprise as the arm of a stranger wraps itself around my shoulders. I smell a strong cologne and as I turn my head to my left, caramel coloured hair appears.

What the is going on? Why are pretty boys appearing out of nowhere today? What kind of sausage fest is this party?

"Yo, Sehun, Luhan. Sorry bros, but I have to borrow her. Have fun!"

Without explanation Baekhyun pulls me away from a stunned Sehun and Luhan's strong grip and leads me far away from the music.

Who would have expected Byun Baekhyun, boy #1, to save me from another boy?

I look around in slight confusion. I swear I remember this environment. Then it hits me and I remember the night I was hella drunk and walking down this hallway until I reached the balcony.

Baekhyun doesn't stop pulling me with him and when I open my mouth to complain it's too late; he opens the door to the balcony and closes it shut after me, leaving me outside.

"What the , you ugly son of a bagel!" I yell, knocking furiously against the glass door. Seems like Luhan isn't the only one who's running out of cuss words.

Said son of a bagel just grins at me and waves with a tiny key in his hand.

I groan in annoyance. "Just let me out! Why are you doing this !"

And then, a deep, familiar voice stutters out my name.

I think I know how having a heart attack feels by now. Heavy breathing, a pounding chest and most of it all, fear. Fear and panic and pure hysteria, because suddenly I can feel the warmth of a body behind me.

Baekhyun winks with a last grin on his face and leaves me alone with Park Chanyeol on his balcony.

I don't dare to speak out or yet alone turn around and face him. This should have been my last chance to spend time with Luhan, but all I get is more drama with the super trash brothers. The anger starts to rise inside of me, along with huge disappointment. All I want to do is forget about those jerks, damn it. Forget about all the pain and sorrow they have caused me, and most of all, forget that the most important person in my life will leave me alone.

"A-are you crying?!"

I realize I've started to sob and shake. I look at my own reflection in the glass and Chanyeol's flawless face, scrunched up in panic.

How do I deserve this? First Sehun approaching me, now this, and Luhan's going to leave and… and…

"Look, I'm so sorry! I didn't know Baek would do this, I swear! Don't cry!"

I turn around, unable to stop my own trembling. His black eyes are sincere and beautiful and I feel a mixture of wanting to kick his balls and them. Maybe I could them first and then kick them. Or at the same time. Multitasking might be too hard, though.

"It's… I know you don't wanna see me. Let's find a way to get out of here!"

I look up from his crotch to his face and immediately regret it. Those pitch black eyes capture me without a warning and I soon find myself in some sort of trance, unable to look away.

Chanyeol runs up to the glass door behind me. He starts to jog the knob violently, a poor attempt to open it. The silhouette of his thin arms, clothed in another hoodie of his makes it look like they're about to break. Suddenly I'm very sure I could do a better job in freeing us. Probably because I, unlike him, weight more than a chicken strip.

"Let me do this." I push his lanky body away from the door and wipe the last tears off my face.

He yelps in surprise, a cute sound that reminds me of a shocked puppy.

"Is it working?" He asks in excitement. He looks so adorable, I fear of losing my eyesight.

"No… that won't budge," I respond quietly, avoiding eye contact with him at all costs.

"I know I'm ugly, but at least look at me," he suddenly says. The loudness of his voice makes me jump and nearly slip; I hold on to the doorknob for my dear life and suddenly can't avoid looking at his face.

"Who… who told you this?"

Chanyeol freezes for a second. His eyes are filled with a dozen of emotions, but despite majoring in Psychology I can't tell what he's thinking. Another reason why I should just get myself a sugar daddy instead of graduating, but that's another topic.

When he finally speaks up I can finally locate something in his eyes. Bitterness.

"Sehun. All girls I try to talk to. The guys in my classes. Baekhyun. My ex girlfriend and everyone that has ever met me." He pauses for a second and his look at me intensifies. A shiver runs down my spine. "Except for you."

I'm an awful person. I'm truly disgusting and selfish. Because here he is, a sad and traumatized puppy, telling me about something he had to went through all his life, but the only words that escape my mouth are: "You… you had a girlfriend?"

He laughs silently. It's no joyful sound. At all. "Is that so hard to believe?"

"No! But-"

I swallow too much air when I suddenly feel him lightly pinning me against the glass door. The atmosphere changes drastically with his cold hand grabbing my wrist and his hot breath on my forehead.

"But, what?" He whispers. His tone is cold and angry, like he's ready to get offended, ready to get shamed once again.

"I'm jealous," I blurt out.

Silence.

Silence and Park Chanyeol's jaw dropping faster than my self-esteem.

"ing god," I hiss, not believing what I just said. "I- I'm…!" My mouth opens and closes uncontrollably, before I push him away with all my might to escape this car wreck of a situation.

"What-…?! Where are you going?!" He shouts out in horror as I start climbing the balcony's fence.

"I'm jumping!" I scream. "I'm jumping off this ing balcony so I can just be buried!"

"Don't!" He shrieks, his voice breaking and making him sound like a scared squirrel. He sprints up to the fence and wraps his jelly arms around my waist, pulling me away from death.

"Let me die!" I yell. "I can't stand this embarrassment!"

"You're too pretty to die!" He shouts, too loud and too aggressive, and most of it all: Too near to my ear.

I cry out and tumble away from him, not only because of the cheesy comeback, but mainly because of the deep and ear-splitting sound that causes me to hold my aching head. "ing , Park! What was that?!"

", , ! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to-…!"

"That compliment hurt, damn it…" I rub my ear, checking if I'm still able to hear normally. "Your voice is way too deep…"

"Yours is just too high!" He poorly defends himself.

My voice isn't the highest thing about me, dude.

"Well, I'm sorry for not sounding like Morgan Freeman."

"Wait… what?" He blinks in surprise.

I can't help but laugh at his confused expression. Slowly, his mouth curles up into a smile until we are both grinning at each other.

"You're weird," he chuckles.

"Not as weird as you are."

We start to laugh again.


The thirty-first of August indeed is an eventful day.

 


here comes my lame excuse for making you guys wait a whole month for this lousy chapter: i has a whole bunch of personal stuff to do. yes, i actually have a personal life!! wowzers!! but seriously, i dont know why, but my life is so full of drama that i didnt feel like writing. (dont mind me quoting a SHINee song like twelve times this chapter. i couldnt resist)

anyways, thank you guys for waiting! be sure to leave a comment if you enjoyed this chapter.