Promise

I Am

Zero is Yeonwoo. Yeonwoo is Zero. How is that suppose to make sense?! Doojoon banged his head on his desk and stomped his feet.

“Oi, Doojoon, what's gotten into you this morning?” Inspector Choi looked up from his own desk. “Did you have enough sleep last night?”

“I'm fine.” Doojoon replied and opened one of the binders to place over his head. He didn't want the man to see him act childish. So... those times I messed up ... and that time I met Yeonwoo... They're the same person? But that girl.. she looked so defenceless how- how is... HOW?! It had been a week since the whole ordeal at the hospital and when he found out about Zero's split identity. The work load to catch up from that night and his lingering curiosity made it frustrating for him to complete his assignments.

“Good morning, Chief Lee.” Minhyun greeted from the other side of the room. Chief Lee walked in with a smile and waved to everyone.

“Good morning.” He said and grabbed some files off of the empty desk in front of Doojoon.

“Chief Lee!”Doojoon exclaimed which startled him. 

“You scared me.” Chief Lee placed his hand over his chest. He gave Doojoon an irritated look before asking him what he wanted.

“What is your relationship between Zero?” Doojoon looked the man straight in the eyes. Inspector Choi and Minhyun waved to Doojoon to not ask, but he was adamant about getting answers right then and there.”And how does your dad know about Zero when he retired more than five years ago?”

“My dad brought up Zero. That is all.” Chief Lee went to his office and slammed the door shut. Doojoon looked on with a frown and wondered how he'll be able to get his answers.

“You know if you ask him right in the open, he won't tell you anything.” Minhyun shook his head. “Are you trying to get on his bad side?”

“I just wanted to know more about Zero. That's all.” Doojoon shrugged and went back to reviewing some evidence.

“Wait for the time to come, Doojoon.” Inspector Choi said and went into Chief Lee's office.

“AHA!” Doojoon snapped his fingers and got out of his desk.

“What now?” Minhyun asked, chewing on his pen. “What are you thinking of?”

I can search up Yeonwoo's citizen profile. He smirked and walked out the door, but the sight of Yeonwoo nearly made him fall back. “H-Hello.” He greeted her nervously.

“Good morning.” She smiled with her dimples that innocently charmed him.

“Y-Yeonwoo!” Minhyun waved excitedly. “What are you doing here?”

“Do you guys know what's going to happen to that young girl?” Yeonwoo asked with a frown, “Did you get any leads of the shooters?”

“No, not yet. I heard Chief Lee and the old man might go around this afternoon to ask for witnesses. I'm getting the information processed right now.” Minhyun answered. “The youngest witness we have hasn't said anything. She's the only victim who is closer linked with what had happened that night. Both her parents were shot dead. Wait, Doojoon, didn't you visit her all week? How is she?”

“She woke up from her sleep two days ago. She hasn't spoken a word yet.” Doojoon shook his head.

“I see.” She nodded her head.

Doojoon grabbed his car keys off the table. “Would you like to come with me, Yeonwoo? I'm going to visit her again.”

“S-Sure.” She smiled and followed him out to his car.


                                                                                                    
 -~-

 

“Chief Lee is working hard lately. The case is complicated that even my hands are tied.” Doojoon said, looking at her from the corner of his eye. He was surprised to see her fast asleep using the seat belt to level her head. He made a right turn and down the street that will take them towards the hospital. He glanced at her sleeping face and chuckled. “Zero, huh?” He muttered under his breath. He thought it was cute of her to look so gentle and normal from the ways she would look as Zero. She must be living a normal life as Yeonwoo, right? ... I wonder what her family is like and what her hobbies are. Also, why and how she got into Zero. He pulls up at the hospital and parked along the side where the visitors parking lot was. The lot was half empty much of his delight to easily find a spot. He unbuckled his seat belt and sat admiring her peacful looking face. He reached to push her hair back from her face, but stopped himself after realizing what he was about to do. Are you stupid, Doojoon ah? He shook his head and instead, cleared his throat to wake her.

“Have we arrived?”She asked nonchalantly without skipping a beat. She hated being drowsy from her naps even though she was glad to have slept after staking out for almost three nights. She walked with him towards Nana's hospital room on the fifth floor and watched him head in first. The eery look of the hallways painted entirely white made Yeonwoo feel sick. She always hated the hospital despite never actually spending a lot of time in one. The smell of how sterile the place was nauseated her.

“I want my mom!” Nana shrieked from inside and followed by sounds of items falling on the ground. She had swept her table full of food and gifts off. Doojoon happened to avoid all of the things rolling on the floor before he could of tripped on some.

“Nana, please stay calm.” The nurse reasoned with the girl, but more things were thrown across the room.

“Leave me alone!” Nana cried and ripped the cooling pad off her head. She threw it by Doojoon's feet and pointed at the door. “LEAVE!” She shouted and covered her head with her blanket.

“Okay, I understand. I will come check on you in an hour, okay?” The nurse cautiously backed away from the girl and went to check on another patient. Yeonwoo stayed by the door and motioned Doojoon to talk to the girl.

“Hey, kiddo. Remember me?” He approached her gently and picked off her blanket.

“Big brother...” She said with teary eyes and sat up.

“Right, right.” He helped her incline her bed. “How are you feeling today, Nana?”

“Mama...” She hiccuped, “Papa...”

Yeonwoo frowned at how devastated the girl sounded and found herself remembering how her parents died. She leaned against the wall from outside the door and listened to Doojoon pulling a chair by the girl's bed.

“Shall I tell you a little secret?” He placed a piece of candy in her hand. He wanted to distract her from her traumatic thoughts even if it was for a little while. “It's about a person I know. Some people say she's a hero, but there's also some people who says she's a bad person. She is a bit mysterious though. Not a lot of people knows how she looks like.”

“If people doesn't know how she looks like, she could be a bad person.” Nana mumbled out, but Doojoon shook his finger. Yeonwoo scoffed at his silly secret and turned her gaze to the doctor standing by the nurses desk.

“She helps the weak and beats up the bad guys that hurt them.” Doojoon smiled, “Shall I tell you a story?”

                                                                                                   -~-


 

 

“Doctor, may I know Nana's condition?” Yeonwoo asked, avoiding his face. The doctor pushed his glasses higher up his nose bridge and tried to catch her eyes, but she only stared at the ground.

“I don't want to be rude, but who are you?” He questioned her suspicious behaviour.

“The officer in that room is my partner. I'm not sure if he had asked you about her condition, but may I know anyway?” She looked at his eyes briefly before looking away.

“Okay, I understand.” He took one of the clip boards off of the shelf and flipped through the clipped papers. “I actually came back from my break so I wasn't the doctor that treated her during her stay here. They had written some notes though. Once she had woken up, she received shock and had slight amnesia for a few hours. She was stable when your Chief broke the news to her about her parents. She was cooperating with him until he left later that morning. She communicated by nodding or shaking her head to yes or no questions. She was hysteric when he had left though. They had to calm her down with injections. Your partner then dropped by later that night and interacted with her. She seems to be not eating and is lacking the energy to get out of bed.”

“She had nightmares whenever she would take naps around this time.” One of the nurses chimed in. “Once the investigation is complete and she is stable enough to go home, she will be discharged and will live with her aunt and uncle.

“Thank you.” Yeonwoo bowed and went back to Nana's room. She stood by the door once more and saw that the two were still talking.

“She doesn't know it, but she is a very important friend to us.” Doojoon smiled and concluded his story telling. “Promise me you'll eat more, okay? You need to be strong and healthy.” He linked pinky fingers with the girl.

“Zero... That person... can she help me?” Nana asked with her lips quivering. “Can she help me catch those people who killed mama and papa?” She choked with tears falling down. “I want to hurt those people, but I don't like feeling this way.”

“Nana...” Doojoon sighed and wrapped his arms around the girl. “We will find those people, Nana.”

“Promise?” She sobbed which made Yeonwoo's insides churn. Yeonwoo looked down at the button the girl had given her that night and squeezed it tightly in her hand. She vowed revenge for the girl no matter what.