Deal

I Am

“You're Zero?” Doojoon gasped, “No way.”

 

Zero nodded her head with a smirk. “So sorry to break it to you now.” She pulled her mask back up to her nose.


“I feel betrayed. After almost two months, I find out now?” Doojoon continued to act with sarcasm. Inspector Choi found it amusing to see his reaction, but Minhyun was disappointed.

 

“You waited years to let us see your face, but it hasn't even been two months and you let him?!” Minhyun shot Doojoon a look. “I don't like it.”

“Okay, enough of that.”Chief Lee interrupted and sat on the edge of one of the desks. He didn't want his team to raise noise or else the regular officers out front would come in. After all, they were taking a risk with having Zero in their office to be seen. He preferred her to meet them in the Second Bureau office, but for some odd reason, she decided to show up today. “Is there a reason for us to celebrate later?”

“Not at all.” Zero adjusted her mask. “Since he already knew, I thought it'll be easier to just come clean. Just know that I won't be appearing as often now that I've been linked with more rumours.”

 

“We don't blame you.” Inspector Choi smiled, “You did well.”

“We all did well.” Chief Lee clasped his hands, “We should enjoy ourselves for this peaceful moment.”

“Does that mean we get a team dinner tonight?” Minhyun broke from his sulking. The thought of tasting sweet galbi and cozy side dishes made his mouth drool. He couldn't wait to smell the grilling meat.

 

“HONEY!” A shriek came from out in the hall. Zero immediately leaped over Doojoon who sat at his desk and went under the table. A middle aged woman with short curly hair and plump rosy cheeks walked in with a fruit basket in hand. She spread her arms out for a hug while Doojoon awkwardly got out of his chair.

 

“M-Mom.” He kissed her head and looked to where his desk was, “W-What are you doing here?”


“I haven't seen you in so long!” She said to him and handed Minhyun the bag. He peered into the plastic and saw some apples, pears and a small melon.

 

“I thought I said I'll come visit you and dad next weekend.”

 

“I couldn't wait that long! Besides, I wanted to see how well your work place was. Are they your colleagues? Oh my, did I interrupt a meeting? Everyone is looking sort of shocked.”


“Well, you appeared out of no where.” Zero muttered and rolled her eyes. She pulled her mask down and made herself comfortable under the desk. She had a feeling she would be under the table for a long time.

 

“Not at all, Mrs. Yoon. I wished we would of welcomed you in better conditions. We're still in the middle of reorganizing our things.” Chief Lee introduced himself and pulled out a chair for her to sit. He was worried that she might go over to Doojoon's desk to sit and talk with her son.

 

“It isn't much, but I brought some fruits for everyone to share and eat.” She motioned to Minhyun who already took a bite out of one of the pears.

 

“It's sweet.” He smiled and took another one for later.

 

“Mom, should I take you to the bakery down the block so we can have a chat?” Doojoon shielded her away from Minhyun. “Do you want some coffee?”

“Son, what's with you? You're making it seem like you don't want me here.” She frowned, but he shook his head. “I just wanted to get to know your Chief and other colleagues.”

 

“No, mom. It's just that Chief Lee is very busy and so is everyone else.”

 

“Okay, okay. I understand. I'll leave when I see everyone eating their fruits.” She stood up from her chair, “When are you going to bring a girlfriend home?” She winked, “Your dad and I aren't getting any younger. I don't want you heavily focused on work to where you won't have a social life outside.”

 

“M-Mom...” Doojoon sighed at how pathetic Minhyun looked holding his laughter. “I'll see you next week, okay?”

“Answer my phone calls!” She waved and blew him a kiss. He waved back and watched her leave. The second he heard her footsteps echo away, he collapsed in the chair. His sigh sounded like his soul was taken out and returned again. He wouldn't of thought that his mom would appear like that out of the blue. He hoped that she didn't see Zero hide.

 

“Is she pressuring you to get married and have kids?” Chief Lee chuckled and squeezed Doojoon's shoulder. “Good luck.”

“She won't let me go now.” Doojoon rubbed his face, “After creating a scene like this.”

 

“I'm going to make my exit.” Zero crawled out of her hiding space.

 

“I think that was your fastest hiding time yet.” Inspector Choi joked and nudged her. “Next time, I'll be ready to time you.”

 

“Right. I'll be going then.”

 

-~-

 

“The day you call me back is where we're taking on a case of four murders.” Zero yawned and picked up the mug shot photos of the victims. They were already known to the police for more than three years for being involved with gangs and narcotics.

 

“I thought it'll be useful to you. Ilsook said they were present when he was given orders to kill Seller.” Chief Lee took the photos from her and placed them on the white board. “It doesn't seem like just a gang fight.”

Doojoon smiled warmly and lightly tapped on Zero's shoulder. “Here, Zero.” He handed her a cup of iced coffee. She gave him a look of distrust, but took it in her hand.

“What did you do with it?” She looked at the bottom of the clear cup.

 

“You looked tired today when you were Yeonwoo. I wanted you to feel better.”

“Are you still trying to get her to be your fake girlfriend?” Inspector Choi laughed and took the drink from the girl. He took a long sip of the drink just to taunt Doojoon.

“Mr. Choi! It wasn't for you.” Doojoon frowned.

 

“I decline anyway.” Zero rolled her eyes.

 

Minhyun scoffed and took the drink from Inspector Choi. “A guy like you don't have a girlfriend? Now that's a surprise for someone who was the top graduate.”

 

“ I-I do.” Doojoon cleared his throat to hide his embarrassment. “I do have one.”

“Then, why do you need Zero to be your girlfriend?”

“Can we please move on?” Zero flipped through some notes they had taken from witnesses.

 

“She's overseas right now, but... my mom won't approve of her.”

 

“We have another case as well. The undercover detectives said there's going to be a huge trade in three days at a night club.” Chief Lee grabbed another file that contained new photos and notes. Doojoon took the file in his hand and pointed to Zero.

 

“She and I are going to work on the main components for this.” He said, “We're partners after all.”

“What?” Zero frowned and turned her head to look at him, but Doojoon kept facing the other way to avoid her. He knew she didn't want to claim jobs, but he had an idea to make her agree by making a deal with her.

“Fine. I'd like to ask Inspector Choi and Minhyun to wrap up the previous case so that we'll continue later.” Chief Lee said and went to his office. He had to prepare for a meeting at the police station to clarify things with the other officers.

 

What have I gotten myself into? Doojoon sighed.