The End To The Storm

I Am

 “She wanted me to give you this before she left.” Jinuk solemnly handed Chief Lee the letter from Zero. Doojoon snatched it out of his hands before Chief Lee could take it and read it in a shaky voice.

 

“By the time you read this letter, I'll be erasing the existence of Zero and Yeonwoo all together. I'll never appear before you all again so don't try to look for me. Don't think of me or try to change my mind. No one will be able to locate me. My clients won't tell you anything either so don't waste your time. I'm sorry. I'll continue my life as someone who never existed. I will live well. My time with you all has been interesting and for a short while, I felt as if I lived my life properly. I don't think I've properly introduced myself to you guys yet... My name is Lee Yeonwoo. I'm the daughter of an undercover detective and a murderer.” He slumped into his chair and in a split second he threw everything off his desk and screamed loudly while the others painfully looked away. You're not the only one,  Yeonwoo. You're not the only one. They wanted to seem strong for Doojoon, but they couldn't. It hurt Jinuk seeing them that way, but he knew it was for the best.

 

-~-

 

Yeonwoo's eyes fluttered opened and looked around to see bright light surrounding her. She had thought it was heaven for a brief second until her eyes adjusted to see that she was in a room that was painted all white. The sunshine coming outside bounced off the walls to create the illusion. There were several tubes and wires connected to her arms which confined her to three machines by her bed. Where am I?

 

“Thank you for being alive.” Jinuk cried from the doorway and she glanced down at her feet. He went to her side and grabbed her hand, bawling. “Thank you.”

 

-~-

 

Three years later, Yeonwoo remained at Jinuk's house and lived a quiet life with him. Although she spent the majority of her days at home, often times she would go explore the island. Whenever he took the time to visit the city, she didn't mind living alone until he returned.

 

After all, she was used to it. This time, instead of her home feeling lonely and cold, it felt inviting and relaxing. She wasn't sure if it was just the change of scenery or that her personality had changed. As she recovered in that house, her past slowly released her from the pain and torture.

 

During the three years away from the city, her past acquaintances still didn't know if she was alive or not, though, they always thought of her. She was glad that Jinuk had kept her a secret all these years. It surprised her when she found out that he had kept it away from his own son.

 

It was a beautiful day after a rainy week in Jeju. Yeonwoo decided to spend some time outside in the backyard to take advantage of the beauty. She loved the fact that the backyard was green and decorated with flowers she worked hard on growing and had an amazing view of the ocean. She walked to one of the white garden chairs that faced the ocean and sat down. Normally, she would listen to music to enjoy herself, but today, she wanted to listen to the waves crashing and the birds chirping. She would of never thought that she would learn how to appreciate the simplest things in life. It was all thanks to Jinuk for her being here. The night where she was shot and she assumed she wouldn't make it, Jinuk managed to save her life with his connections with private doctors and nurses. They moved her here when she was stable enough for the journey and continued to watch over her until she was awake. She couldn't think of ways to repay for what he had done for her since she was a child and now.

 

As she watched the small boats sail by, she heard the back door open and slow foot steps going down the patio. “You're late.” She said, turning her head as she stood up. “Aren't you suppose to be bac – “ She froze in mid sentence.

 

“Sorry... I'm really, really late.” Doojoon spoke with a lump in his throat. His eyes were red and his throat burned. “I'm sorry. I'm really sorry.” His voice cracked and tears began to flow. The tears that pented up inside of him finally released. The willpower he tried hard to keep came crashing down. He had no more power to do look strong. “I should have known sooner.” He sobbed and felt the strength in his legs weaken. He dropped to his knees and faced the ground. 

 

Seeing his usual cool-headed and sturdy composure collasping in front of her made her choke up with tears. She looked away to not let him see the tears in her eyes, but her feelings overflowed. She thought he was stupid for crying like that. They were both victims after all. “What are you doing?” She mumbled and wiped her face.

 

“I'm sorry.” He bowed his head and she slowly walked over. She held out her hand in front of him and he lifted his head. The cold hand she once had appeared warm to him. He hiccuped and took her hand. She tried to help him up to his feet, but he pulled her down so that he could hold her. He waited three whole years to be able to do it. He held her and she began to cry. She gripped his shirt and buried her face into his chest.

 

“You idiot.”

 

Meanwhile, Jinuk, Dongwook, Inspector Choi and Minhyun were observing in the kitchen. They felt relieved to see her alive and well. Also, to see Doojoon with her. When they were apart, Doojoon wasn't himself. The newbie that came three years ago was lost in a world of overworking and darkness. New recruits that joined the Second Bureau during Yeonwoo's time away were scared straight by Doojoon. The others were grateful that Jinuk decided to tell them the truth today. The five of them caught the earliest boat back to Jeju and rushed to see her.

 

“You finally did something amazing for once, old man.” Dongwook lets out a short laugh before going silent. He held his head in his hands and found himself tearing up at the memories of his childhood with her. “That brat... After spending so many years together, she's still the same.”

 

Jinuk shook his head. “Now, don't cry. It should be a happy moment.” He glanced over at Minhyun who was trying his best to be discreet with his tears. Inspector Choi wiped his own tears and looked outside.

 

“I'm happy for them.” Inspector Choi smiled at the two still holding each other. He truly felt happy that they reunited. He couldn't stand seeing Doojoon the way he was without Yeonwoo around. He could see the temporary ice melting from Doojoon's heart.

 

Dongwook sniffled and maintained his cool. He smiled at the gorgeous weather and then at the two outside. “The storm has finally ended.”