Ring

I Am

“Sister.” Yeonwoo greeted the elderly nun with a smile. She wanted to catch the woman's attention before she was whisked away by the energetic kids. The nun wore the traditional attire and had a long cross necklace around her neck.

 

“Sister Yujin. Let's go play!” A young boy around three years of age whined at her feet.

 

“Yes, may I help you with anything?” Sister Yujin asked and pulled away from the kids. She urged them to go play by themselves and watched as they went off into the playground behind the chapel.


“I'm looking for a child actually.” Yeonwoo answered.

 

“Are you looking to adopt? You look like such a young girl.”

 

“I apologize, I don't plan on to. I was hoping that you could help me locate someone. She's a long lost sister of mine.”

 

“Dear, I can do what I can.” Sister Yujin said and walked Yeonwoo to the library in the orphanage. “What was her name?”

 

“I'm embarrassed to say this, but I'm not sure. She must of been called by a different name when we were separated. She was born August 18, 1993. Do you have her in your file?”

 

“Yes... Yeonwoo. Ah, I remember this child.”

Yeonwoo's eyes widened at the sound of her name. “I heard she ran away from this orphanage when she was placed here.”

“She left within two months of living here. I remember her clearly. She was such a timid and sweet girl. Just thinking about her pains my heart. She cried a lot in that chapel we were in. She always prayed for her family to come and get her.”

 

Yeonwoo looked at her in disblief. She didn't recall what had happened at this orphanage other than living here. “I was wondering if you remembered the person or people that dropped her off here...It'll help a lot for me to find her.”

 

Sister Yujin flipped through the large binder. “I don't see anything in regards of that child. All it says here are her personal info such as her age, height, weight and food allergies. We actually filed a missing report, but the police hasn't found any trace of her. I'm sorry to let you know like this.”

 

“Nothing to be sorry about. I had a feeling things might turn out like this. Please let me know if you hear anything about Yeonwoo.” She bowed.

 

“Even though I have no impression of who brought her here, I remember that something was left with her.” Sister Yujin turned to her wooden desk. She unlocked the single drawer and pulled it out. She scoured through the many belongings ranging from toys, keys, jewelry and coins. She picked up a small envelope and handed it to Yeonwoo. “This was left with her. The Sister that cared for her didn't allow the children to wear jewelry that's why this is still here.”

“A ring?” Yeonwoo mumbled as she pulled out the ring that was strung with a leather string.

 

“I assumed it belonged to her parent's. The design resembled a lot like a man's ring. I have a feeling it was her father's ring. It is such a pretty design as well.”

“Thank you, Sister Yujin. I will treasure this.” Yeonwoo said and wore the necklace.

 

“Good luck. Please contact me if you do find Yeonwoo.”

 

-~-

 

“So, when did you have time to change out of Zero's clothes?” Dongwook called out to Yeonwoo who had just came out from the orphanage library. He had sat at the steps to wait for her to show up because he felt that it wasn't his right to look for her from inside.

 

“How... –“

“How did I know?” He interrupted. “You kind of left your plan in my office. It was something unlikely of you to do.”

“Are you going to stop me?”

“And why would I? It's not like you're meddling in current cases or other cases from the other Bureaus.”

“I don't know. I thought you would stop me sooner or later when you find out.”

“If it gets too dangerous to where you'll get hurt, I will. Do you have any other leads to this person?”

 

“I'm trying to find that out now.” She walked down the stairs, “If I find anything, I'll be sure to let you know.”

 

“Don't keep everything to yourself. That man... could be someone you shouldn't affiliate yourself with.”

 

“I know that.” She sighed, “But I don't care what will happen.”

 

“Well, I guess I shouldn't say anymore. Your partner has been watching from afar.” He cocked his head towards the trees from behind her. Doojoon stood off to the side with concern visibly on his face. “I better go.” He got up and pressed his key to unlock his car. “Unless... You want to come with me?”

“I need to speak with that geezer.” Zero glanced up at Doojoon who seemed like he had something important to say. They locked eyes for three seconds which felt like forever before she broke the staring contest. “Sure.” She answered and followed Dongwook to his car.

 

-~-

 

After a long day, Zero returned home with a heavy heart. Her thoughts were so clouded that she skipped dinner and locked herself in her room with her eyes staring at the many faces staring back. She had a new addition to the set of pictures plastered there. The vacant space she had created through the middle of the pictures had three new faces. She glanced over at the left side of her room to the wall decorated with clues and files similar to what she did to the whiteboard in the office.

 

Now...which of you three am I looking for? She thought as she rolled the ring back and forth between her fingers. No luck with the scums on the streets today either... She sighed and felt her eyes droop. Tomorrow... I will try...tomorrow.