Fire

I Am

After she restricted Seller from escaping by handcuffing his wrist and ankle together, Zero left him be and left the area. Her phone vibrated in her pocket and she went to hide behind several boxes of card board that was stacked up high.“Good work, Zero. Get away from the scene. First and Second division will be closing in from both sides as soon - “ Dongwook froze in mid sentence. One round of gun fire echoed all around and made everyone on high alert.

 

“What happened?” Zero asked urgently to which Dongwook responded a few seconds later.

 

He gasped and picked up the gun next to Seller's body. The man was laying flat on his stomach with a clear bullet wound in the head. Blood trickled out from his forehead while the back of his head gushed out. “Seller... He's shot.”

 

“He was fine moments of go! Who – Who would...” Zero shoved her phone back into her pocket and turned to the breeze that happened to blow passed her. The faint smell of blood was carried with the breeze and within seconds she picked up the scent. The smell was something she'll never forget no matter how faint it was. She sprinted in the direction and climbed over the wall. From all around she could hear the police barking orders to make sure the suspect doesn't leave the premises. She ignored the calls and continued to climb onto higher ground. She scanned the area and found a man walking away with his back facing her. He twirled a small pistol around his finger and casually waked down the empty alley way while clicking his heels. She followed him closely from walking along the top of the walls and just when they both passed by a fork in the alley, she spotted Doojoon carefully approaching the corner with his gun out. She immediately jumped into his direction and knocked him over, making sure that he doesn't startle the carefree gunman.

 

“W-Wh... Zero?” Doojoon gasped which made her cover his mouth tightly. She carefully crouched down and slide his gun next to him.

 

“Don't approach that man.” She warned, “You might get shot.” She cautiously looked around the corner to see the man still walking away.

 

“I don't need you to tell me what to do though. I'm trained and a professional.” He pouted and loaded his gun. He turned to explain how efficient he was, but all he saw was a shadow go over the roof above him. He cursed aloud and ran the other way to cut the gunman off before the man could go free.

 

As soon as he approached Zero who was quietly stalking the man, his radio acted up. The gunman turned his head and before he could run away, Zero engaged him into a full hand to hand combat. Doojoon was too amazed by the fight to realize the girl was having trouble. After a few seconds of wrestling around, she managed to disarm the man and put some distance between them.

 

“Call back up.” The gunman taunted her.

 

“He's right. You're in the way.” Zero said with her eyes watching the man's every move.


“Aren't you, Jang Sunghyun?” Doojoon pointed with his gun. “I memorized all of the wanted photos last meeting. It is you!”


Sunghyun caught Doojoon off guard in a matter of seconds and pounced at him. Zero was quick on her feet and managed to kick Sunghyun away without fully realizing his intent. He switched sides with her and found his gun a meter away from the side of his foot. He slid for his gun and pointed at Doojoon to shoot. The gun was fired and Doojoon was late to react with his own. He waited for the excruciating pain to hit him, but felt nothing. He opened his eyes with his whole body shaking. Zero fell to her knees wincing at her left arm. She tried to aim Doojoon's gun to shoot the runner, but it was already too late.

 

“Z-Zero!” He helped applied pressure on her arm. The blood wouldn't stop flowing from her arm. Her vision began to blur and her thoughts were everywhere. “Hang in there! I need back up with ambulance. Subordinate shot!” He shouted in his radio and held on to her tightly. She grabbed his tie with her bloody hands and took it from him. She hastifully wrapped the silk black tie around her arm before running off in the other direction. When she turned the corner, she just so happens to bump into Chief Lee. His eyes widened in shock at the sight of the blood and quickly called for back up that knows of Zero.


-~-

 

“Hang in there, kid.” Inspector Choi said as he pressed on the gas to their car. It was the only tinted police car they had available. They sped through red lights with the sirens blaring. “We're almost there. It's going to get bumpy down there. Stay awake, okay?”

Zero weakly pulled her mask down because she had trouble breathing with it on. She looked over at the accelerator increasing. Cold sweat developed on her face while she kept loosing the feeling in her arm. “You make it sound easy.” She couldn't keep herself up any longer. Inspector Choi swerved into the back building and quickly got Zero out. A single doctor and two nurses were waiting at the door. They helped Zero into the bed and rushed her into a room to perform the medical procedures. The doctor was highly praised for his work despite his young age. He was specifically hired just to tend to Zero and anyone else so that the public doesn't have to know.

 

-~-

 

After two hours of near complications, the doctor was able to give the team the good news. Zero was recovering just fine in the other room that was designed to house patients.

 

“If she was brought to us a little later, it would of been difficult to operate on her.” The doctor said and shook hands with Chief Lee who was visibly worried. “Thankfully the bullet didn't stay in her body. It was just the amount of blood loss that made it complicated.”

 

“Will there be scarring?” He asked, but Inspector Choi laughed. After all, they were talking to one of the best doctors in the area.

 

“Call me if you need anything else. I'm going back to my own clinic.” The doctor bowed and left with his nurses. Everyone was relieved to know that Zero was alright. Especially, Doojoon, though he felt responsible for her injury. He was the one that distracted her while she was doing her job.