Amusement

I Am

“Doojoon, you're still here?” Inspector Choi poked his head into the office out of curiosity. The office lights were turned off except the lamp by Doojoon's desk. The young man glanced up from staring at his computer screen and greeted him.

 

“Did you forget something?” Doojoon asked with rings under around his eyes.

 

“I left a few hours ago and you're still here.” Inspector Choi went to his own desk and picked up his notebook. “I forgot to take this home with me.” He waved the small book in hand.

 

“Please get home safe.” Doojoon smiled and took a sip of his cold coffee. He yawned and stretched his arms over his head. It was thanks to Inspector Choi appearing that he was able to move from his seat. He didn't realize time had passed because his focus was entirely on the document he was putting together for Zero.

 

“You've been staying late these past two nights. Are you sure you'll be okay?”

 

“Yes sir, I'll be fine.”


“Is this because you still want Zero to be your fake girlfriend?” Inspector Choi teased, “We all know you don't have a girlfriend. There's nothing to be embarrassed about.”


“Sir – “


“I mean, lately you've been treating Zero like a queen whenever she drops by. It's really obvious.” Inspector Choi laughed and walked toward the door. “Why don't you just give her a call or even better, ask her directly?” He waved, “Night! Don't stay here too late.”


Doojoon cleared his throat, “G-Good night, Inspector Choi.” He didn't think he would be that obvious from the ways he treated Zero. He wondered if he even did the right actions to try and convince her to help him. He just needed a convincing partner so that he could get his parents off his chest. Ever since he joined the police academy after graduating from university, he never kept in contact with his female friends. More accurately speaking, in his cell phone contacts, there were only three close friends that he had that are male. The rest of the contacts were his colleagues or family. The pressure was starting to get to him now that he was getting older. 
He glanced at his cellphone resting faced down on his desk and contemplated on if he should contact Zero. Normally, her phone numbers are through certain lines at the office in the Second Bureau, but for the team, they know at least one other number they can reach her personally. It was a special number where the calls won't be traced back to her. Otherwise, she wouldn't of had cellphones. After going back and forth at his decision, he grabbed his phone and typed in the number he memorized.

 

“Are you sleeping?” He texted Zero and held his breath as the message was sent. He waited for the notification sound, but nothing came. She is sleeping. He sighed and went back to work. When the notification went off and he practically dived for his phone. In the process of picking his phone up quickly, he nearly dropped it.

 

“What do you want?”


“Can I call you?”


“Why.” She replied a second later. Doojoon dialled her number right away and waited for her to pick up the phone. When she answered, she sounded like she was out of breath. Her background noise was making it difficult for him to hear where she was.

 

“Are you okay? Why do you sound like that?”


The sound of her jumping off a ledge and landing caught his attention. “Stake out. I'm running around.” She answered and looked back to see someone pursuing her.

 

“Can I meet you right now?” He asked with butterflies in his stomach. He never had a conversation with her other than with work.

 

“Why?”
 

“Where are you? I'll come to you.”


“I'm nearby. It's really crowded here. I'll meet you if you can find me in ten minutes.” She said as she went through the crowd of late night diners and shoppers.

 

Doojoon jumped out of his chair and grabbed his coat with his free hand. “I'll be there!” He said and turned off his computer. “I'll find you, okay?” He hurriedly went to his car and drove off towards the tourist sites where most of the night scenes were.

 

He pulled up alongside a quiet sidewalk before walking towards where the noise and people were coming from. He scanned the crowds for Zero's face in case she was Yeonwoo, but he later realized she said she was staking out. He went through the crowds and looked far and wide for someone alone or suspicious, but there were no signs of her anywhere. If I was her, where would I be? He looked around showing a bit of frustration. His notification went off and he looked down to see Zero notifying him he had five minutes left. He sighed loudly and glanced up by chance,  he saw a building. That was when it hit him. He was certain that Zero would be up on the roof observing the people around him. He raced up the stairs of the two story building of a norebang and PC bang. When he reached the roof top, Zero stood there with her back facing him. She leaned over the edge with her phone in hand.

 

“You're late by two minutes.” She turned around with her scarf wrapped tightly over the lower half of her face. She was dressed in normal clothes.

 

“I thought you... were staking out?” He panted and walked over to her. She nodded towards some plastic tarps where a man laid unconscious. And that... is Zero's style of staking out...

 

“So, what are you doing here?” She asked.

 

Doojoon bowed and stayed that way with his eyes staring at his feet. “Please be my fake girlfriend! I just need you to help me and play the part. I will do anything you ask.”


“Like what?”

 

“I will work hard on these cases and help you with what ever you need!” He straightened his back and looked her in the eyes with sincerity. “I just want my parents to leave me alone with my romance life and make them happy.”

 

“Fine.” She smirked. The thought of when she stole his wallet the previous night flashed in her mind. She remembered seeing single photos of two women in the card slots. She had assumed one of them was his mom and the other, his girlfriend. “I'll let you know when I need you to do something for me.”


“Really?!” He beamed and for a second, felt all the stress release from inside him. “Wait, w-why?”


“I got nothing better to do. Maybe it'll bring some sort of amusement to me.”

 

“I hope it will.” He smiled from ear to ear. He took out his phone from his back pocket and went to her side. “Let's take a photo.” He suggested and reached for her scarf. She grabbed his wrist and twisted his arm back.

 

“Not too fast.” She said and pushed him away. He winced, but nodded in understanding.

 

“I'm sorry. I wanted a photo to send to my parents.”

 

“Take care of that for me, okay?” She cocked her head towards the man and walked towards the staircase. Doojoon glanced over and rolled his eyes.

 

Another troublesome task.

 


 

Thanks for the comments!