Forgotten Name

I Am

Do you remember that day when you said you'll give me a name? Why did you decide to name me Yeonwoo?” Zero asked with her eyes staring at the ring on her desk. She was on the phone with Jisuk who still kept his location a secret. She tried to reach him at Jeju, but she was always a step too late and he would venture off somewhere else. It took her more than twenty phone calls to get her call through to him. She couldn't believe that Dongwook calling didn't get the man to pick up. She wondered how estranged their relationship had been. Then again, both of them were workaholics. “Answer me in detail, okay? I don't want any of your stupid riddles or your childish jokes. And stop trying to hide. It's not fair that when you need to find me, you can always get to me whenever you please, but when I need to talk to you, you're not there.”

“Aw, kiddo. Do you miss me already? You've done well for the past couple years. Daddy is here.”

 She held the urge to scream at him and replied calmly, “I said I didn't want your stupid jokes, old man. I don't need more questions, I need answers. Tell me why did you – “

“It suited you.” He said solemnly which surprised her. He rarely used that tone of voice with her. “I was told it matched you perfectly.”


-~-


“Honey, have you not been feeling well lately?” Doojoon's mom asked Yeonwoo who stared off into space. They were at the same restaurant that they first met through Doojoon.  His mom was overly concerned about her that she decided to call her out to get something to eat. “Doojoon told me you were busy with work and at the same time, you didn't feel well. Are you sure you're okay?”

Yeonwoo blinked to focus and stared at the woman. “Thank you for worrying about me... I feel like I should apologize for having to decline most of your invitations to go out lately.” She forced a smile. “Have you been well yourself?”

 

“Don't worry about me! I want you to rest more and get Doojoon to look after you on his days off. You look so pale right now it makes my heart hurt. You're like the daughter I never had.” She caressed Yeonwoo's face out of motherly instinct. “If anything is bothering you, let me know, okay?” She reached in for a hug. Yeonwoo wrapped her arms around the woman's waist and at the same time, reached in for her wallet. “Before we go, let me use the wash room.”


“Sure, no problem.” Yeonwoo hid the wallet and waited for the woman to pass the waitresses. She opened up the long rectangular wallet and pulled out the woman's ID. Her eyes began to well up with tears and burned. She didn't realize she was crying until the tears dropped onto the card. She made sure that no one was around to see her cry.


“I knew you didn't mean what you said.” Jisuk placed his hand on her head. “She is your mother after all. No matter how much you hate her, she is still the person to give birth to you. Don't cry.” He whispered to her as she sobbed quietly into her sleeve. She held the paper she had taped back together tightly. “Don't cry.”

 

She forcefully wiped away her tears and returned the card to where it was. She saw Doojoon's mom's worried face and hid the wallet.

 

“Honey, what's wrong? What happened?” She wiped the remaining tears away. Yeonwoo reached in for another hug and dropped the wallet back in her purse.

 

“Nothing.” Yeonwoo shook her head. “You're like the daughter I never had.” Her heart ached and her feelings were mixed with all sorts of emotions. She had suspicions, but didn't want to believe them after all this time. “I'm okay, mom.”

 

-~-

 

“What's wrong? Mom said you started crying..” - Doojoon

 

Zero scoffed at the text message and threw the phone on her bed. It began to vibrate against the wall, but she ignored it and gave her attention towards the wall where she had all her information on it. She couldn't stop staring at her new addition. All she had to do was find the final piece to her puzzle and then fill in the time line. She knew she was getting closer to the answer and that it wasn't going to be easy. She reached over to pick up her phone that Doojoon kept calling. “What?” She answered with a sigh.

 

“Are you alright? I want to see you.”


“I'm fine.” She sat on the edge of her bed. “Worry about yourself first.”


“Yeonwoo ah.”

 

“It's Zero. Don't confuse me with a persona.” She glared at the wall. Having him close to her was dangerous for the both of them. She knew she had to break off the fake relationship as soon as possible. After all, she felt that the next family gathering will be unbearable.

 

“Sorry.” He sighed, “I just wanted to know you're okay. You've been acting strange lately. Everyone at the office says the same.”


“I've been always like this. You all just got used to me being Yeonwoo all the time.” She said and waited for him to talk back, but it was only silent on the other end. “Look, I'll contact you another time. I'm busy.”


“Okay, good night.”