Live Well

I Am

The second he walked in, he was sure of where he was at. His picture perfect memory allowed him to remember how the factory was built from only having glanced at the diagram for a few seconds. He stopped behind a bunch of metal crates and tossed the gadgets he was given. He adjusted his ear piece and waited for 's voices.

“I got into the building. Where are you?” Zero whispered and she walked through the stack of wooden shelves. She made sure to keep her footsteps quiet and move through discreetly. “Chief?”

The sound of metal pipes falling on the ground with a loud clang startled her. She whipped her head around and there stood Chief Lee holding restraining one of the suspects.

 

“You let your guard down for a second.” Chief Lee smirked and kicked the suspect's gun away. With one swift move with the side of his hand, he knocked the suspect out. He let the man drop on the ground and took the gun from Zero's hand. A sudden gun fire was shot at the far end and made her hold her breath. She signalled Chief Lee that she will investigate, but he stopped her before she went. “I'll go.” He whispered and slowly walked towards the sound of where the shot had came from. Zero was lingering a few steps back to watch over him like promised. They walk towards an opened area at the center of the factory where groups of large boxes were wrapped with bubble wrap. They stood at the end of each boxes to watch each others back. He peeked from around the right of the box, but a warning shot at the box was clear that the main shooter saw where he was.

 

“Ilsook.” Zero glared at the man without him realizing she was there. She was looking from the left side of the box.

 

“There's stacks of cash on the table behind the guy and a few guns. Three. It seems as though he's the only one other than the guy that's laying unconscious.” Minhyun's voice came from their ear pieces.

 

“Aren't we suppose to have a talk?” Ilsook said and shot once more. Chief Lee came out of hiding and shot once before going back behind the box.

 

“Should we have a cease fire then?”Chief Lee laughed and got his gun ready for anotehr shot.

 

“Sure.” Ilsook agreed, “Come out. You have my word.”

Zero's gaze shifted over at Chief Lee with worry, but he only flashed her a smile to reassure her uneasiness. He calmly walked out to where Ilsook stood and they both exchanged a short greeting. As if they read each others mind, they placed their guns to the side of them and without a word to each other, they began to throw swings and kicks. For a few minutes, they struggled to have the upper hand, but after one small miscalculation, Chief Lee was elbowed in the head. The sudden blow caused him to be unbalanced and Ilsook used his chance to put him into a head lock.

“Oh, no no.” Ilsook shook his head and reached for the confiscated gun from earlier at Cheif Lee's back. “This was what I wanted. Mr. Inspector, were you trying to play dirty?” He pointed the gun at Chief Lee's head to taunt the man. “You officers are so stupid sometimes. How could you mistaken me and a fake? The person you were searching all this time who killed Seller was just a fake name!” He laughed wickedly and loudly to where it looked like his eyes were about to bug out of it's sockets. Zero rushed out from behind the box and picked up the gun Chief Lee had placed on the ground. She pointed the gun at Ilsook and he looked at her with surprise. “Zero, right? I didn't think you'd still be alive.”

 

As she held the gun in her hand, a cold, tingling sensation washed over her like she had been in the same predicament before. She saw an image of herself pointing a gun at another person and blood splatter. The stench of heavy rain and blood burned her nostrils despite it just being a vision. “You killed those innocent people for what gain?” She asked even though her hands were visibly shaking. Snap out of it. She clenched her teeth to help with the pounding in her head.

 

“Shoot.” Ilsook taunted and brought Chief Lee closer to his body to use as a shield. “You're nothing different.” He scoffed, “Zero? Heroic? You're nothing, but the exact same low life as me.”

 

The image seared into her mind and the drilling of her headache became stronger and louder. She fires a warning shot at the bubble wrap which startled the three of them. Chief Lee was worried that she would completely crack under pressure and end up getting hurt. He knew for a long time that she was never comfortable shooting a gun - let alone holding one.

 

“I'm nothing like you. I don't kill anyone.” She attempted to point the gun at him once more, but her blurry vision didn't allow her to.

 

“Mr. Inspector, you better stay still. I can kill her or you one after the other. I want you to scream like those people did. Beg like Seller did.” He his lips, “The next will be that brat. She will suffer the same fate as you – “

 

Blood splattered onto Chief Lee's face as his clothes was soaked with blood. Ilsook's grip on him loosens and the man drops to the ground. Zero shakily turned her head to where the gun had fired from and Doojoon stood there in a perfect stance holding his gun. Chief Lee watched as his subordinate brought in their team of reinforcements. Minhyuk was ordering the rest of Second Bureau while Inspector Choi was busy with directing the SWAT team at the far end of the factory.

 

“What are you doing here?” Zero asked, drenched in her own sweat. Her legs collapsed beneath her as she watched Minhyuk perform first aid on Ilsook. Doojoon's near perfect aim shot the man in between the collar bone which made it less fatal for Ilsook.

 

“Weren't we partners?” Doojoon crouched down and placed his hand on her back. “Are you okay?” He asked with his eyes still glaring at Ilsook.

This is the first time to see such a calm and collected side of this guy. Zero thought, staring at the side of his face. For once, will I be able to place my life in his hands? Her body finally gave in from the shock and Doojoon caught her completely visible that he was flustered.

 

“Zero? Zero?” He shook her.

 

“Okay, Zero it's time for you to get out of here.” Inspector Choi's voice came from all of the radios at once. Everyone looked over at Zero, but she was still unconscious.

 

“Doojoon, can you take her back?” Chief Lee took Minhyuk's jacket and covered Zero's body. “Go.”

 

-~-

 

later that night, Doojoon decided to pay a visit to Nana before he went to take his turn to interrogate Ilsook for his crimes. He wanted to give her the good news that they found the man.

 

“Nana~ It's Aunty.” A petite woman in her late forties cautiously walked in. “Guess who came to see you – OMO! Why are you crying?” She quickly went to the girl's side. Doojoon walked in with concern and went to the other side of the bed. The girl was sitting up right with tears streaming down her face. “Are you hurt anywhere?” Her aunt asked, “I'll go get the doctor.”

“Nana, what is that?” Doojoon said in a whisper. He took the small piece of paper in her hand and scanned the contents.

 

“Zero.” Nana cried and clutched her button tightly to her chest. “Big sis.” She sniffled.

 

“Nana.

 

Your parents can rest in peace now. Thank that big brother. He worked hard.

Get well soon and grow up prettily. I will always watch over you. Live well. - Zero”

 

-~-

 

“Was it the right choice to let that girl know your identity?” Dongwook asked with his hand on Yeonwoo's head.

 

“What do you mean?” She brushed his hand away and at the same time, giving him a look.
 

“I saw you pin that button on that piece of paper.” He smiled, “You used to live so carefully yet why did you let that girl know?”


“I mean, she's just a kid.” She scoffed and poured herself a glass of water.

 

“The storm is finally over, but there's going to be a bigger one coming. Ilsook confessed that he was given orders to kill Seller. The other crime was his own doing. He thought that he'll be protected by the 'higher ups' so he went on a spree.”

 

“Then, that just means Zero has to work even harder to find the boss.” She smirked.

 

“Wouldn't it be best that he should know who you are? You can work even better with a partner.” He winked and took the glass from her. "I'm stuck with a lot of work lately that I can't help you."

 

“He knows.” She sighed, thinking back to when Doojoon whispered her name as he carried her out of the factory. Dongwook looked at her with surprise. “Things will get even more interesting now.”