That Man

I Am

“Aish it's so dark in here.” Jisuk complained and got out of his seat. He had just made Kimchi and Beef jjigae for the both of them, but the lighting was getting on his nerves.


“Don't touch anything.” Zero muttered and ate a spoonful of rice. He walked to the light switches and the light to the kitchen. She squinted at the sudden brightness and found herself glaring at the older man. “Could you listen to me for once?”


“This is much better. How do you even live this way?” He motioned to all around. “Even though it's clean, its too dark and gloomy. You're a girl too! Why do you have such scary decorations?” He pointed to the mug shots on her wall.


“It's my work. I didn't ask for you to come. Not to mention I haven't said anything about you picking my door lock.” She answered, bluntly and tried the soup. “It's good.” She mumbled to herself.

 

“If I didn't show up, I bet you'd still be eating instant noodles or convenience food.” He shook his head. “You should learn how to separate work with personal life.”


“You should know by now that there is no difference to me.”


“Right, right.” He sighed and sat back down. “So, tell me how you've been lately. Is everything alright?”


“Like I said before, don't act like you care about me.”


“Was my words a little too harsh?” He chuckled, “Okay, I apologize. Tell dad what's wrong.”



She looked up at the sound of dad and he froze. “Shouldn't you be making your actual son dinner since you’re back?”


“Have you made any progress with finding that man?” He said, eyeing the pictures on the board. “It seems that you've taken care of the smaller guys. Now you have to work your way up, right?”


“You didn't have to ask me when you already knew the answer.” She rolled her eyes. She reached for her pair of chopsticks on her left side and attempted to pick up some kimchi with her right. The bite size piece slipped through the wooden sticks and fell on the table. She sighed with frustration amd went back to just eating the main course.


“After almost twenty years with you, I still don't know your reason for wanting to look for a certain man. It still surprises me that he may be part of an underground organization from what you hinted to me years ago.”


Zero's flashback of a man patting her head was short, but her remnant feelings for that memory still warms her insides. Although she had other memories, the years had dulled them and made them blurry.


“I want to know...” She stared at the bubbles in her jjigae. “I want to know... how would someone affiliated with people like them... would have such a warm hand.” She looked at her own hand. “Though it's been so long, sometimes... I wonder if I'm doing the right thing. My heart would waver for a second, but then everything else wouldn't matter. I'm alright living like this.”


“Ah, first love?” He asked with a teasing tone and slurped his jjigae.


She frowned. “Leave.”


“Well, that's unfortunate. Wasn't the guy who was shot the last that was on your list? You must had plenty of questions to ask him.”


Suddenly, her front door is unlocked and pushed open. Jisuk looked back from the table to see his son walk through with another bag of grocery. Dongwook walked with a smile on his face, but Zero was the only one who didn't seem welcome to see him.


 

“Father and son.” She muttered under her breath and stood up. “Take my seat.” She shoved passed the man and went to her desk.

 

“Hey! You're not eating anymore?” Jisuk called to her, but she ignored him.


“Dad, you didn't tell me you'd be here.” Dongwook said, placing the bag on the kitchen counter. He sat down and started eating the other half of Zero's jjigae. “What brings you here?”

 


“I haven't seen my kids in awhile. I thought I should see the youngest first.”


“Right.” Dongwook nodded and looked at Zero's way. “Have you taken your medicine yet? Doojoon was causing a scene earlier today when he didn't see you. You should of said something.”


“Let him freak out.” She said as she looked over some files, “Leave as soon as you finish cleaning up.”

 

“So, any leads with the shooter?” Jisuk asked, taking a bite of some of the side dishes he prepared.

 

“We have a description, but we can't release anything to the public just yet.” Dongwook sighed, “We're hoping once Zero gets better, she can use her underground network to get some information.”


“Wouldn't that put her in a tight spot?” Jisuk asked, “The guy she was associated before the shooting was well known on the streets. They might think she was the one who killed him.”


“That's what I'm worried about too.”

 

“Just wait until I fully heal.” Zero interrupted. “I'll get that guy back by ten folds.”


“What will you do about Doojoon? He was extremely worried about you.” Doojoon said and pointed his spoon as he spoke.


“He looked more guilty to me.” Jisuk added.

 

“With or without him around it doesn't matter.” Zero said coldly. She could hardly care less about Doojoon.


                                                                                                               -~-


Having to struggle for the next two weeks finally came to an end when Zero's wound recovered carefully. She was back at work and free from other troubles other than sharp pain that comes once an awhile.


“Hey, Zero... I just wanted to apologize for getting you hurt like that.” Doojoon said with a bow. Zero had just come in to read over the hacking Minhyun had done. She wanted to memorize which CCTV camera he was often able to hack into so she could make herself a route to move about. Minhyun and Zero turned their heads to face Doojoon who was very sincere with his words. “I know it hasn't been long since I arrived. I've been lacking, but I promise I'll worker harder.”


Zero looked away and continued with the videos. “Forget it. I've been hurt way worse than this. Just work hard enough to pick up your own slack so no one else does it.” She patted Minhyun's shoulder and went into Chief Lee's office.


“She's lying.” Minhyun said with a smile. “She doesn't want you to worry.”


“What?” Doojoon gasped.


“The worst injury she had before this was a fractured wrist.” Inspector Choi, “This just shows you she's values her team members and wants to protect them. Even though you think you're lacking, she doesn't mind.”


“Like...” Minhyun twirled his pen in his hand, “An indirect good side.”


Doojoon nodded. “I see.”


“Better work harder, newbie.” Minhyun smirked.


“Alright, let's have a short meeting.” Chief Lee walked in with a file in hand. Minhyun walked into his office to get Zero before they all sat around the large white board. Chief Lee began to write neatly on the board while the other four paid close attention. “I've gotten some leads that there may have been a witness during the shooting.” He said and placed a magnet on a picture.


“That guy.” Zero recalled the man she had taken out the day she saw Seller.


“Right. This man, Jungki. He's one of Seller's regular customers. He must of seen or heard something. He was gone by the time we arrived, but after interviewing the restaurant, they had seen Jungki acting oddly.”


“I got it.” Zero said, but the sound of the locked door being forcibly made her jump over Doojoon and behind Minhyun's desk. Everyone looked at each other with caution before Chief Lee went over to the door. Minhyun followed him from behind and pulled out his gun. Inspector Choi went around to his desk and pretended to occupy it.


“Who is it?” Chief Lee asked, putting his hand on the door handle.


“Open the door, you brat. It's your dad.” Jisuk pounded on the door. Zero rolled her eyes and came out of hiding. She signalled Chief Lee to open the door and he did. “You like to keep the same pin code for everything don't you?” He laughed at his son.


“How did you get through the finger print process?” Zero sighed and adjusted her mask.


“There was?”


“AH! I forgot to turn... them on this morning...” Minhyun laughed nervously. “I'll turn them back on right away!” He ran out the door before he could feel Chief Lee's wrath.

 

“I thought you left.” Chief Lee sighed and pulled a chair for the man to sit.


“You might need this Y-Zero.” Jisuk handed her a folded piece of paper. “It's a tip. That's all I have to say. I'll be going back to Jeju if you need me.” He waved. “Keep me updated.”


“That was Chief Lee's dad?” Doojoon whispered to Inspector Choi.

 

“Former Chief.” Inspector Choi whispered back as he watched Jisuk leave.


“Doojoon, I want you to follow Zero as her back up. Inspector Choi, when Minhyun comes back I want you and him to check some files for Jungki. Let's hope we have an allibi to take him in for an interview. Also, get Minhyun to double check the CCTV.”


“Why...” Zero held her tongue. Doojoon was visibly happy to hear that he is partnered with her. He loved working out on the field rather than being inside the office.


“Understood!” Doojoon saluted.


“Zero, locate the man and wait until my call before you approach him, got it?” Chief Lee pointed at her.


“We're trying to get him in peacefully first, right? If we can't, Zero's going to beat him up, right?” Minhyun said with a laugh. He walked to Doojoon and Zero with a small tracker in hand. “I think you'll need this more than Zero.” He winked at her. “These will act as a tracker for the both of you as well as for me. It also serves as communication. I can hear everything that goes on with you two from that. The tracker automatically connects to your phone so if you need to find each other check the map on your phone.”


“Thanks.” Doojoon mumbled and stuck it on the inside of his dress shirt collar. “Testing.” He said, but Zero only tucked it into her pocket.


“Sun's setting soon so this will serve more purpose than your previous attire.” Chief Lee handed her her regular vest. “Wait for my call.”


After the meeting was done, Doojoon was about to ask Zero where they should meet up, but she had already left. When he walked to the front of the office, the lights flickered indicating Zero's leave. He checked his phone and saw that she was already five blocks away.

 

“She's fast!” He hurriedly ran out to his car.