Pancake

I Am

The twilight hour in the streets of Itaewon was packed with people enjoying the nightlife. Restaurants, shops, clubs and street vendors dominated the roads to attract customers.

 

However, away from the crowd, Zero was conducting a chase between herself and three men. At the sight of her, the three targets took off running with their tails between their legs. It only amused her even more to see them dash off in a panic. She captured one of them with ease and tied him to a street light pole near a physic shack. He had shaggy hair and scruffy facial hair that grew in odd patches.

 

“I don't need all of you to question.” She smirked and crouched over to face him. She tilted his head up and made him look her in the eyes. “I'm sure you know everything that goes on since you're one of the most favoured by from her gang. Tell me.... Do you know anything that happened fourteen years ago?”


“Those eyes... W-What do you mean, Zero?” He stuttered out of fear. The news that was spreading underground, was that everyone needed beware Zero or they'll be hunted and killed by 'his' hands. Like the same fate as Seller.

 

“Are... you sure you want to play stupid?”


“A-AH! I remember now.” He swallowed hard and his cracked lips, “I remember that someone told me another gang we do business with... someone important was killed. I don't know all the details though.”

 

She sighed loudly and shoved his head. “So you're not the underling I'm looking for.” She casually walked off. Even though she could hear the man pleading for her to untie him, all she thought of was where she could find her next targets.

 

-~-

 

Dongwook slammed his hands on the counter table.“You're suspended for three weeks.”

 

“What for? Is this what you make me come here for?” Zero asked, eyeing his bachelor pad? . They were talking in the kitchen which was Dongwook's favorite place in his suite. He took better care of it than everything else in the house.

 

“What's this with you roaming the streets in search of gang members? Why are you playing a game of cat and mice? Whatever it is, you're stirring up unnecessary commotion within the gangs. They're restless and it's dangerous for our under covers.”
 

“It's not like I'm endangering the under covers, though.” She shrugged, “I just wanted answers for my own personal reasons and this is how I know I'll get them fast.”

 

“I don't like it. You're drawing attention to yourself. Sooner or later, you might upset someone and they might come to get you. We won't be able to protect you. I won't be able to protect you.”

 

“Mind your own business. You still have a few cases to work on and not to mention an ongoing one for quite some time now. Instead of going on about me, you should devote more of your attention on your duties as the Chief.”

 

“I don't want you to continue as Zero for the time being. Just for the time being, okay? It's too risky so I want you to lay low like last time. Spend some time to plan, relax or even play house with Doojoon. I don't want you working and on patrol. Got it?” He looked her straight in the eyes to show her that he was serious.

 

“Too late. I already accepted a job from a client. She wants me to safely deliver some files to her lawyer without her husband knowing. She's loaded with money which mean's I'll be rich in less than 24 hours.”
 

“Yeonwoo!” He raised his voice for the first time. It caused her to unintentionally flinch from being unfamilar with that tone of his. His loud voice was never directed towards her. “Listen to me for once, okay?!”

Zero gritted her teeth and walked towards the door. She was annoyed at how he used her name, but how he was being so persistent with suspending her got to her more. It's not like he could really refrain her from what she does or doesn't do, but she hated herself for agreeing with what he said. “I'm leaving.” She muttered and left the suite.

 

-~-

 

“Yeonwoo~” Doojoon waved at the girl standing outside of the police station. She greeted him respectfully due to the people standing around the station. Even though it was just him, she still had to put up an act. “Are you waiting for Chief Lee?” He placed his hand on her shoulder and leaned forward. “Weren't you with him earlier today? What happened?”


She looked around to make sure the coast was clear before she dropped her act. She wasn't in the mood to pretend around him. “He told me to go to his house.” She scoffed.

 

“I actually heard from him... That you got suspended.” Doojoon pulled out his phone, “Do you want to go grab something to eat? I just came back from questioning witnesses and I'm starving.” He held out his hand. “I'm craving for some kimchi pancakes. My aunt owns one of the shops down the street.” He urged her to take his hand. She got the hint and followed his lead. She didn't understand why she would do it, but she went with it. She thought that maybe he would be able to keep her mind off of things. He took her hand and he was glad that he didn't feel as nervous as he was before from the first time he held her hand.

 

The restaurant was off to the corner of the street where cars were busy driving by. They crossed the sidewalk and went inside the humble looking restaurant. His aunt greeted them when they walked in and took them to a quieter side of the restaurant. They sat crossed legged as the woman went off to prepare their food because of how Doojoon ordered early.

 

“Are you feeling down lately?”


Yeonwoo scoffed, “What are you talking about?”


“Well, Zero is suspended after all.” He whispered, “I thought you might be a little down or I don't know.. upset?”

 

“Whatever. You and I both know nothing will stop me.”


“I guess so.” He laughed and poured themselves tea and water.

 

“I wonder... if you look like your mom or dad more.” She blurted out. She couldn't help herself from seeing his parents frequently. It caught him off guard that she asked such a personal question, but it sort of made him happy to know she was interested in him.

 

“I look like my mom more. How about – uh...”


“It doesn't matter in my case.” She cautiously took a sip of her tea.

 

“I'll let you in on a little secret.” He leaned his head over. “This isn't actually my aunt.” He placed his finger to his lips.

 

“Family friend?”

 

“Nope.” He shook his head, “My current mom you know is actually my nanny from when I was young. The owner here is her friend.” He took out his wallet and pointed at the younger looking woman. “This is my actually mom.”

Yeonwoo took his wallet with both hands. She had always assumed that the woman was his girlfriend. “W-Wow.”

“When I was younger, I had a feeling my nanny loved my dad. To this day, they act like a married couple, but they're not actually married.” He laughed, “But, they're both amazing in their own way.”

“How did your mom...”

“She always had a weak heart since growing up.”

“I see...”

“Pancakes have arrived.” His aunt announced with a tray in hand. She walked over to them and balanced the tray on the edge of the table. She flicked on the grill before setting the side dishes and the actual batter in front of them. “Enjoy. It's on the house.” She winked.

 

“Thank you.” Yeonwoo said and watched Doojoon mix the batter around before spooning some onto the grill. The sound sizzling from the grill and the delicious aromas made their mouths water. Doojoon decided to capture the moment with a photo. He held out his phone to take a picture of the food and Yeonwoo, but it just so happened that the oil jumped and hit his wrist. He flinched and covered where the oil had hit him. He looked at Yeonwoo to see if she was laughing at how clumsy he was, but she only grabbed his wrist and applied the wet napkin she had just soaked for him. She dabbed and blew on the burn which touched Doojoon completely.

 

“Aww.” He smiled and took a picture of her just as she looked up. She pushed his hand away and threw the napkin at his head.

 

“Delete it.” She glared at him, but he only kept teasing her with how innocent she looked. “Fine. You'll regret it later.”

 

“Oh, by the way. I told my mom you were going to their house warming party.”


She gasped, “What?”

 

“I'll pick you up later.” He grinned and flipped the pancake over.