Conclusion

I Am

  “Doojoon! Doojoon! Where are you going? Why are you in a hurry?” His mom chased him through the house when he walked right in without greeting her first. He circled the first floor before stomping up the stairs. His eyes told her that he was in search of something, but she didn't understand what.

 

“Dad!” He shouted and went straight into the study room. He slammed the door in his mom's face and locked it behind him.

 

What is going on? She shook her head with a sigh. She hoped that the two didn't have an argument without her knowing.She returned downstairs to make some refreshments for them. She kept thinking of what was so urgent that he completely ignored her.

 

Doojoon watched the chair swivel around to reveal his dad wearing his thick framed glasses with a book in hand. “Dad...” He frowned.

 

“What was the noise coming from downstairs?”

 

Doojoon tried to think of what to say, but the words were being difficult for him. He wasn't sure if he should bring up an old scar or not. Knowning his dad, the man wouldn't start talking about a touchy subject right off the bat. His dad noticed immediately that he had something to say. He was just waiting for his boy to spit it out. Doojoon hesitated for another good couple of seconds, but decided to go ahead and be blunt.

 

“Can you tell me how mom passed away again?” His voice cracked and watched his dad's calm expression change, “Can you tell it to me once more?”

 

His dad sighed and placed the book on the table. “How come you're asking all of a sudden? Didn't I tell you when you everything when you were ten?”

 

“Please... retell it again.” Doojoon swallowed down his tears, even though his throat began to hurt, “I can't seem to remember anymore.”

 

“Well, ever since she was young, she had a weak heart – “

 

“No, I meant on the night that she died. I remember that it was a rainy night. S-She wasn't at home and – and –“

 

“Doojoon... I'm guessing you found out about something.”

 

“Was she...?”

 

-~-

 

“I'm sorry for earlier.” Doojoon said to his mom as he went down the stairs after speaking with his dad. She turned around rigidly with her face as pale as the piece of paper in her hand. “Is everything alright?”

 

“Y-Yes. Everything is fine.” She faked a smile and stuffed the sheet in her pocket. “Did you sort things out with your dad?” She asked and looked at him carefully. She wanted to make sure that he didn't get hit, but once she saw his tear stained face she gasped, “Dear, what happened?”

 

“Nothing's wrong...” He couldn't bring himself to call her mom. “Don't worry too much, everything is fine. I'll come by next time for dinner.”

 

“O-Okay.” She wrapped her arms around him. She gave him a big kiss on his cheek before letting him go. “See you soon.”

 

-~-

 

A few days later, Second Bureau was frantic throughout the office because of Zero's sudden movements. They were trying to pinpoint her exact movements to reel her in, but they were always a step too late. It was getting to the point where Chief Lee was too stressed to even function. He wanted the chase to end and to see her safe and sound. The entire team worked hard in order to find her. They made sure to keep an eye on the people she was targeting. Who knows what she could be thinking after that night she almost attacked Minhyun and Doojoon.

 

Minhyun rushed into his office and slammed the door open.“Chief! Kang Joohyun is moving alone!”

 

Chief Lee stood up immediately and grabbed his coat. “It's time! Get everyone together!” He glanced at the clock to note the time. 11:49 is she planning on to do something this time at night?

 

-~-

 

“You. Are you the one that's trying to threaten me?” Joohyun stepped out from the shadows. The woman screamed and held out her arms in defense. His eyes widened at who he had saw. “Shinah, what are you doing here?”

 

“Joohyun? Didn't you call me here?”

 

“Sorry to cut your reunion short, but let's have a talk.” Zero said in a clear voice as she walked into the building. A part of her took liked the looks on their faces and it made her want to taunt them more. “Do you remember this particular place?” She asked as her mom gasped.

 

“Who are you?”

 

“So, I was right. That bastard was you.” He reached for his gun. Zero pointed her own gun at them before he could bring his out. She knew of his dirty tricks. This time, she kept her hand still and her grip tight. She no longer feared holding a gun. The two stepped back and raised their hands up.

 

“No, no take it easy. Just don't make sudden movements.” She twirled the gun and took a seat on a big cement block. She kept her eyes on Joohyun's gun as she spoke, “This was where a woman died in her early thirties. You two must know her. She was a sister and a rival to you two.”

 

“Who are you?” Her mom demanded with tears in her eyes. “Please don't kill me, I have a loving husband and son. They need me.”

 

“I wonder if that was what she said to you before you killed her.” Zero sighed and twirled her gun once more. She caught it and pointed it recklessly at the woman, “You had a daughter and a hardworking husband. You hated his profession and wanted to get him out of it, didn't you? Instead of trying to fix things, you abandoned your daughter and interfered with his work.” She loaded the gun with her heart aching. She felt closing in on her when she thought of the next sentence to say. “That person... dad tried to protect until the very end... it was you.” She pulled her mask down and revealed her face. “To the bitter end.”

 

-~-

 

The police sirens roared down the streets as Second Bureau rushed to the old building. They had to secure the situation before it was too late. Each inspector led a squad to go through the four smaller buildings that were connected to the main one. The race begian to see who would get there in time to control everything.

 

As soon as he got out of the car, Doojoon went on ahead without consulting who he had in his squad to back him up. He knew he had to get there first because of the order they were given by the Superintendent. It was an order to shoot on spot if things go wrong.

 

Please Yeonwoo. Don't do anything stupid until I get there. You have to know the truth. He glanced out the window as he ran. It was snowing. It's so calm outside yet right now it's chaos. He picked up his speed and continued down the hall. He made it to the main building in no time and all he had to do was get to the first floor.

 

-~-

 

“Y-Yeonwoo?”

 

“That was a name you had given me years ago. I don't blame you for not recognizing me, but I will never forgive you for the other things you've done.”

 

Her mom began to sob, but she didn't know what reason the woman was crying for. The woman stared as her now grown daughter. The bruise on Zero's cheek and the cut on her lip broke her heart. “M-My baby.”

 

Zero pulled her mask up and continued with her story. She didn't want the woman to continue crying. “That night you were coaxed by someone to kill dad's soon to be wife. You were jealous. Even if it was a marriage by contract, you couldn't stand him being with another woman other than yourself. The person who made you kill that innocent woman... isn't he the man behind you?”

 

While they were talking, Doojoon heard the sobbing and sprinted to them. From the glassed window, he could see Zero pointing the gun at his mom.

 

“Don't shoot! There's a citizen inside!” He radioed the rest of the squads that were on their way. He pushed on the door a few times and peered over to see that the door was jammed. "Yeonwoo!"

 

“Baby, calm down. I'll tell you everything, okay? Don't do this. I-It wasn't all my fault.”

 

“Shut up!” Joohyun shouted, but the woman didn't listen. She just kept urging Zero to put the gun down.

 

“Don't worry. I won't kill you. It's better that I keep you alive to make sure you suffer for the rest of your life. I want you to feel pain for leaving me... I want you to grieve over dad's death... I want you to feel guilt for the rest of your life for killing his mom... I want you to realize that you made me this way. You did.” Zero said and shifted her gaze towards Joohyun. Doojoon kicked the door down and just when he ran to them, Zero fired her gun.

 

“NO!” Doojoon screamed and jumped in front of his mom. He was already too late. He faced his mom with his heart about to burst out of his chest. He saw red splatter around her and he knew that someone was shot. She fell to her knees screaming while the man behind her collapsed into a pool of blood. “M-Mom!” Doojoon held the woman that shook violently. The sounds of foot steps charging towards the entrance Doojoon made was closing in on them. He glanced at the dead man to see a gun in his hand. After realizing what Zero had done, he snapped his heard around to see her breathing heavily. She had placed her hand over her shoulder and he saw her clothes and glove soak up the blood. The bullet Joohyun had shot, grazed her there. “Y-Yeonwoo.” He tried to go to her, but their mom held him tightly. Zero saw movements by the door and quickly shot a few rounds at the door to startle the people outside. She escaped through the back entrance where she had planned to do so from the start. She made sure to wrap her shoulder so that she wouldn't leave a trail of blood behind. “Yeonwoo!”

 

Second Bureau wrapped up the scene quickly in order to avoid the media. While they examined the area and the body, Doojoon made sure to calm his mom down and let her see the paramedic that happened to be on standby.
 

“Don't you hate me?” She asked with her eyes completely darkened from the shock of nearly dying. “Don't you despise me like her?” 

 

“Can I ask you something? Did... my mom... really do that?” He whispered with his tears threatening to fall. "Did she guide you to..."His voice cracked, "Kill her?"  Her simple nod confirmed everything for him. He kept his emotions under control because finding Zero was more important. He needed to know where she had run off to.

 

"I don't know what to say to you." She began to tear up, thinking over the passing years. "It happened so suddenly... That woman that she... before... she asked me to meet her and then it happened.."


 “I can't forgive you just yet, but you can only do what's right.” He concluded and walked off. 

 

-~-

 

Zero walked and staggered, forcing herself to get away, but her condition kept getting worse by the second. Her vision faded in and out while the cold numbed all of her pain. She reached a once gravel field that was now covered in snow. She knew that she finally hit her limit. Her will power to keep going depleted and she accepted it. She collapsed on her back and watched the snow as it fell from the sky.

 

This is it. She pulled her mask down. She breathed in the cold air along with the stench of her blood. The snow softly drifted before joining up with the rest of the snow field. What if... She sighed, What if my life went differently? She thought. Images began to flow into her mind that had her younger self along with her parents. The images changed with each passing year with her getting older with them. They saw her graduate from elementary school, junior high and high school. Then, she imagined herself meeting Dongwook and Jinuk all over again in good terms as family friends. Lastly, she saw Doojoon holding out his hand with his dorky smile. What if ... what if things were different? Her eyes became heavy despite the fact that she was trying to keep them open. She battled with herself for consciousness until she heard the squishing of snow underneath someone's feet. “You...came?” She grinned to see Jinuk hovering over her. His eyes reflected pain while his lips were in a tight line. He could tell that she was ready for death. The look in her eyes gave it away. “Can you do me one last favor?” She whispered, feeling her lips beginning to dry out, “Give them the letter in my pocket and bury me with my dad.”

 

“Get up.” Jinuk ordered and pulled her to sit up. She held her shoulder as he forced her onto his back and picked her up from there. “I promised your dad when I took you in that I'll protect you and love you like my own daughter. I'm not going to let you die like this. You've been through hell and back and you're still alive. You're not going to leave like this. Everything is over now. You can start a new life once again and this time live happily. With me and Dongwook or not. You will live happily.” He kept walking. “You're going to live, okay? I won't break that promise to your old man. I won't allow you to die! So get a grip and live! Live for tomorrow!” He shouted. He heard her scoff and without looking at her face, he could already see her smirking. “That's right, Yeonwoo. Live for tomorrow.” He smiled and told himself that she was going to be alright.

 

Suddenly, the hand that held her shoulder went limp and slipped off his shoulder. He bursted into tears and screamed her name repeatedly.

 

Thanks old man.