Day Off

I Am

“I'll see you later, okay?” Doojoon unwrapped his arm around Yeonwoo's waist. He had just dropped her off at his apartment so that he could drive his mom back home. They had lied to his mom saying that they would be spending the night together.

 

“Aigoo, you should give your girlfriend a kiss! That's what you young people normally do.” His mom interrupted the awkward goodbye from the passenger side window of the car. Yeonwoo's plan was to just ditch the place as soon as the car left.

 

“B-But mom..” Doojoon cleared his throat and felt his cheeks burn. “It's embarrassing with you here.”

 

“It's getting late. I think you should take mom home now. I'll wait for you inside.” Yeonwoo shook the apartment keys in her hand. She turned to wave goodbye, but Doojoon kissed her cheek without any warning. She almost hit him out of instinct, but held it back in time.

 

“Don't stay up too late, okay?” He caressed her cheek. “I'll be back soon.”

 

“That was such a weak kiss!” His mom whined from the car. He blushed and went around the car to drive off.

 

-~-

 

Later that night, Doojoon went home completely exhausted from all of his parent's nagging. His dad seemed to already like Yeonwoo just by hearing what his wife had said. He arrived at his door and lazily pushed in his pass code when normally he would use his key to scan the door.

 

I wonder if Yeonwoo – I mean Zero got home okay.. He yawned and neatly placed his shoes at the corner of the mat. He skipped the lights and went straight down the hallway to where kitchen was. He normally left the kitchen light on because it was the only light where he could adjust the brightness in the suite. He was about to toss his jacket onto the couch when he found something lying on the couch. He leaned over to the wall to change the brightness of the lights and there laid Zero sleeping softly. He stared at her for a good few seconds waiting for her to realize he was there, but she didn't move an inch. He was surprised to see her still sleeping. He recalled the many times he found her napping in Chief Lee's office and she would wake up as soon as he stood by the partly opened door. He slowly walked over and placed his jacket softly over her body. He crouched down and found himself gazing at her face. She must of been really exhausted today. He was absolutely out of his mind when he started to her cheek with his fingers. He pulled away and clasped his hands together. He watched her move her head and seeing her restless made him fight with himself for a good second. He reached over and began to pat her shoulder

 

This feeling... Zero thought to herself. Even though her eyes were closed, her mind wasn't fully in a dreaming state. Her thoughts showed her images of a woman's hand patting her shoulder. It was a warm and light touch that lingered each time the woman would lift her hand. Somehow, that feeling filled Zero's empty insides for a short while. “Mo....Mom.” She mumbled out.

 

“It's okay... Yeonwoo.” Doojoon whispered, “Sleep well. I'll see you tomorrow morning.” He stood up to walk to his room, but his sleeve was caught under her shoulder when she rolled over. He sighed deeply and made himself comfortable on the ground next to her. “Fine, as your boyfriend for now... I'll stay next to you. Don't beat me tomorrow though.” He chuckled quietly to himself and pulled his jacket up to her chin. “Good night.” He laid his head on the side of the cushion so he could doze off, but a sudden vibration by his ear startled him. He flipped the side of his jacket up to reveal her holding her phone loosely in her hand. He curiously took the phone and a message appeared on the top of the screen. He opened it without properly thinking and read the message.

 

“I'm sure the next bust will be a good one. All the leaders are joining up to do an exchange deal. The one you guys got last night was just a small exchange. I got a tip from one of my undercover colleagues and this will be the biggest one yet.”

 

Doojoon's eyes shifted towards her. Yeonwoo... just who are you?

 

-~-

 

“So, how was the date?” Inspector Choi teased. He was glad that he had time to play around during lunch time when normally he would have to cram work along with his leisure.

 

Doojoon cleared his throat. “Nothing special.” He said and recalled what happened early this morning. He had woken up at the same time as Zero, but she left without a word. She didn't seem like her usual self in his books. Since seeing her come in, she hasn't left her spot inside Chief Lee's office.

 

“Maybe you should go check on her.” Inspector Choi nudged. “Chief is coming back soon and might need his office. That'll be an excuse for you to go near her.”

 

“S-Sure.” Doojoon got out of his seat and went towards the closed office. He peeked through the crack from the window blinds to see Zero staring at the white board. She was sitting on Chief Lee's desk with one leg propped up where she rested her arm on it. He wondered what she was deeply immersed in, but didn't dare to ask her out in the open.

 

I still have a lot of missing parts. She bit her lip. She picked up the white board eraser off the desk, but the knocking of the door surprised her. She flipped the board around that showed the clean side while the written side faced the wall.

 

“Hey, partner!” Doojoon said as he pushed the door open. “How are you doing?”

 

“Do you need me for anything today?” She asked and pulled up her mask.

 

“With my parents? No, they haven't called or anything.”

 

“I'm taking the day off. No one contact me.” She said and made her exit.

 

Inspector Choi widened his eyes, “Taking the day off?”

 

“What does she mean by that? She never takes any days off... Even if she's not working with us, she has a bunch of other clients she works for.” Minhyun gasped, “Is she sick? “

“I... don't know.” Doojoon mumbled. A second later, the message from last night popped in his head. “Uh, if the Chief comes back before I do, let him know I have to do something important.” He rushed to his desk and took his car keys. “Minhyun, is the tracker still on Zero?”

 

“It should be if she has it on her. I updated the tracking device that's on her ear piece so it'll be on 24/7.”

 

“I'm going to borrow this.” Doojoon picked up the tracking device off of Minhyun's desk, “I'll be back.”
 

“What's going on? Where are you – “ Minhyun sighed at the sight of Doojoon turning the corner. “Something must of happened. Maybe I should take the day off too.”

“I think they'll be alright. Doojoon can look after her if something does happen.... Hopefully.” Inspector Choi chuckled, “But in case, you have trackers on the both of them, right?”

 

“Let's just hope that nothing happens."