Nana

I Am

“Nana!” Nana's mom shouted for the girl. She was only a meter away.

“Mama!” Nana wailed, but Yeonwoo held her down. She didn't want to draw attention to themselves. She was afraid that they will get shot if they made sudden movements.

“Don't go.” She kept the girl from moving. She was trying to figure out who was shooting the guns. “Don't get up.”

“I want total silence!” A man wearing a clown mask stood up from the crowd. “Stay on the ground and give me all the pricey things you've got!” He clicked his heels and spun his gun around his finger. Yeonwoo recalled seeing that behaviour before, but didn't think it would be possible for the same gunman to appear. “Don't even try calling for help~ You're all locked in here with me. My buddies are with the security right now.” He placed a box on the ground. “One by one, I want you to come up when I call on you to place your valuables here. Got it?”

If the others stays calm, we'll be alright. Yeonwoo glanced down at Nana who was shaking with fear. “It's alright Nana.” She whispered, her head. The masked man ordered several people from the front to line up in front of him. Yeonwoo watched them line up with fear in their eyes, but two man crawling from behind the masked man made her uneasy. No. No, don't become the hero. She held onto Nana tightly. “No!”

The two men leaped up and both grabbed onto the masked man. The three struggled for the gun, but the masked man ended up firing several rounds in the air. The masked man managed to shove one of them off and shoot him in the leg. He grabbed the last man and shot him in the chest.

“PAPA!” Nana screamed and slipped out of Yeonwoo's grasp. The masked man pointed his gun at the young girl.

“Stay down.” He said with a threatening voice. Nana only stood there shaking with tears rolling down her face.

“Nana!” Yeonwoo reached for her, but another shot was fired. “NANA!”

Nana stood there with blood on her face. Her mom had covered the girl in time. “Mama... Mama...” The woman dropped to the floor bathed in her own blood. Shrieks and screams filled the silence as the witnesses watched the woman lay lifeless.

“Nana...” Yeonwoo felt the blood drip down her cheek. She rigidly went to the girl and covered her face from seeing the aftermath. She felt the girl go limp in her arms. Nana had fainted. Yeonwoo looked for the CCTV cameras and prayed that Minhyun had caught hold of the situation already. Minhyun, please.

“Boss!” A man wearing a green ski mask ran over. He paused to look at the bodies laying on the ground and the blood spatter. “T-The CCTVs stopped working. Are you alright.”

“Did you get the superintendent?” The clown masked man asked and the other nodded.

“We got his money.” He laughed and picked up the box. “Let's go before the cops arrive. “

“CCTV stopped working?” Yeonwoo whispered to herself. “Minhyun?”

 

“Boss! I hear the cops. Let's leave!” Another man ran in from the west wing of the hospital. The doors behind Yeonwoo were broken into and the SWAT team walked surrounded the citizens immediately. Chief Lee fired his gun and shot one of them men fleeing. The rest of Second Bureau and the SWAT team went ahead to purse the people and check the other floors. The paramedics from another hospital set up screens around the bodies and attempted to revive the injured people. Chief Lee discreetly glanced at Yeonwoo before ordering the citizens to evacuate the building where the rest of the officers were.

 

“What are you doing here, Yeonwoo?” Chief Lee asked, taking Nana into his arms. He looked at Yeonwoo and was surprised to see how she was shaken up. They walked out to where all the ambulances were and he handed the girl over. He picked up a blanket from one of the stretchers and wrapped it around Yeonwoo's shoulders.

“How did you find out?” She asked, wrapping the blanket tighter around her body.

“Minhyun slipped one of the trackers in your sling.” He took the tracker out to show her and placed it back in. “Come and wash your face.” He walked her to his car and handed her a bottle water. She took the opened bottle and poured the water onto her hands. She looked at her reflection in the side mirror and dropped the bottle out of shock. “Are you alright?” He asked, picking up the spilt bottle. She held onto the car for support and tried to erase her bloody image out of her mind.

“I'm fine.” She said and poured the water on her face instead. “Go do your job. I'm going to Nana.”

“Are you sure you'll be fine? The other hospital will have cameras too and Minhyun will be too busy to help you shut them down.”

“It's the least I can do for that girl.” She said, staring at Nana who was in one of the ambulances. “Take care of everything.”


-~-

 

“Nurse, did you find out about the other casualties?” Yeonwoo asked the nurse who had come in to check on Nana.

“Three people didn't make it.” He answered solemnly and checked Nana's hands. Yeonwoo sighed and slumped into her chair. “She seems to be in a more stable condition. Should I call her parents?”

“No, that's fine.” Yeonwoo choked and walked towards the door. “They won't be able to answer.”

Yeonwoo returned to the Second Bureau with her thoughts as Yeonwoo and Zero conflicting. All her emotions were unstable which made it difficult for her to keep those unimportant in check. As Yeonwoo, her heart was aching for Nana knowing in a span of few minutes the young girl was left an orphan. When she thought as Zero, she was furious and confused. Her gut feeling said that the masked man must of been the man that murdered Seller and threatened Jungki. She was furious to have that dangerous man roaming the streets freely when he should be locked up. She wasn't sure what to think about that man. She wanted him dead, but she didn't want more blood to be shed.

Who am I really? She questioned herself as she quietly let herself in the recovery room. She brought her knees up to her chest and rested her chin on them. Why...am I thinking these thoughts? Why am I emotional just thinking of that girl? She leaned back on the head rest and stared emptily at the sky light. The bloody scenes of the shooting flashed in her mind and the screams pierced her ears. Without even realizing it, tears slowly began to roll down her cheeks. She bit her lip and squeezed the bed sheets with her hand. She didn't want to accept it, but the thought of Nana being alone made her think of her childhood self. I...I could of done something... She began to breathe heavily. burned and the tears wouldn't stop overflowing. She was fighting back the tears because she didn't want to admit she was crying. She had vowed years before that she will no longer let her emotions take over.

“Zero?” Chief Lee looked into the room. He approached her with concern, but she was trapped too deeply in her thoughts that she didn't realize he was there. He walked around the bed and sat next to her. He placed his hand on her head and slowly it. “Yeonwoo..” He whispered which snapped her back to reality. That was when the tears began to stream down her face.

“Just... what am I doing?” She wiped her tears with the back of her hand. “I'm not suppose to be like this, but that girl.” She cried, “She's going to be all alone.. I could of prevented it as Zero, but ... but. I couldn't do it.” She held her head. “I want to kill that man. I can't stop these thoughts of me killing him.”

“I can't say you did the right thing or the bad thing either.” Chief Lee whispered, “It would of been a difficult hostage situation if you had stepped in. Many would of been injured.”

“But I could of done something!” Her body shook. “I-I”

“Yeonwoo..” Chief Lee wiped her tears away.

Yeonwoo? Doojoon stood by the door. He pushed the door a little further open from when it was a crack. He looked in and saw Yeonwoo in Chief Lee's arms.

“You know, I'm glad that you have Yeonwoo. As Zero, I was afraid you'll lose all human emotions, but here you are... I'm glad, Zero. After all, you're only human. Don't worry about anything else. We will find those men that escaped. “

ZERO?!